• Login
  •          

Hi, I'm Alex

Tell us a little about yourself

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Hi, I'm Alex

Postby Analord » 09 Dec 2011 07:44

You may call me Alyosha.

I have just discovered Dune and it resonates with me quite. My interest in Dune is only parallelled by my lack of knowledge of it.

I have trouble finding content about Dune on the internet though. I would like to read or watch a serious interview of Frank discussing his work but all I've found are only cursory (truly cursory) glances at his work, where he reiterates things that even have become platitudes to me (power attracts the corruptible, question authority.)
    Analord

Re: Hi, I'm Alex

Postby lotek » 09 Dec 2011 07:57

Achlan wasachlan !

Have a look round the forum, there has been quite some stockpiling of data here.
    Spice is the worm's gonads.
    lotek

Postby Analord » 09 Dec 2011 08:06

There is one thing that I like very much about this site instantly.

It seems here that flaming of other's positions is allowed, and thus actual discussion can occur without censorship.

If this is truly the case then I will like this site indeed. Most sites have this censorship where mods go out of their way to delete posts based on their political opinions. Then people basically start worshipping politeness, which is not the proper way to get the truth across. Forums like this are dreadful and rarely awaken anything beyond "general discussion."

Conversely it's a funny place when members can say what they truly think with no regard to other's opinions.
    Analord

Postby Analord » 09 Dec 2011 08:25

Oh and Lotek:

Let our waters mingle.
    Analord

Postby lotek » 09 Dec 2011 08:38

not yet man, not yet.
    Someone else is in charge of this anyway ^^

You'll meet him soon enough.
    lotek

Postby Freakzilla » 09 Dec 2011 08:38

:text-welcomeconfetti: :text-welcomeconfetti:

We have but a few simple rules: viewforum.php?f=20

If you want to learn about Frank Herbert's Dune, you've come to the right place.
    Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
    ~Pink Snowman
    Freakzilla
    Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Postby lotek » 09 Dec 2011 08:51

Analord wrote:There is one thing that I like very much about this site instantly.

It seems here that flaming of other's positions is allowed, and thus actual discussion can occur without censorship.

If this is truly the case then I will like this site indeed. Most sites have this censorship where mods go out of their way to delete posts based on their political opinions. Then people basically start worshipping politeness, which is not the proper way to get the truth across. Forums like this are dreadful and rarely awaken anything beyond "general discussion."

Conversely it's a funny place when members can say what they truly think with no regard to other's opinions.
    yeah that's basically it.
    Of course having a big mouth is not enough, you need intelligent reasoning and/or a taste for rants, and a bit of time to earn respect, just like anywhere else.

And of course a general distate for the Preequels and other steaming poo from captain Ahack(that's Keith, or tehKAJ, the human douchebag and other similar tokens of our appreciation)will make it easier, even if we still wait for that one fanboy that can actually defend mcdune without crying and stomping their feet.
    lotek

Postby Apjak » 09 Dec 2011 09:08

Welcome, Twice Welcome.
    I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
    We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
    There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
    Apjak

Postby Serkanner » 09 Dec 2011 09:12

Welcome Home!
    "... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
    and wrote a Dune Novel."
    Serkanner

Postby SandChigger » 09 Dec 2011 09:13

Achlan wasachlan! :)
    I have heard of only one mistake that doesn’t have an explanation for a careful reader...with an open mind. (And, no, I’m not going to tell you what it is!) —KJA

I don't like every writer's style; for instance, I have never been able to get through Ursula LeGuin, China Mieville, or Iain Banks, all of whom are critical darlings. —KJA

I...had written a bunch of Star Wars and X-Files books...that proved not just that I'm a hack, but that I could write in somebody else's universe... —KJA
    SandChigger
    KJASF Ground Zero

Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"

Postby Tleszer » 09 Dec 2011 09:51

Welcome! :orcs-buttshake:
    DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
    Tleszer

Postby Analord » 09 Dec 2011 09:52

Thank you everyone!
    Analord

Postby Analord » 09 Dec 2011 10:56

lotek wrote:not yet man, not yet.

:lol:

"Let our waters mingle" does sound a bit flirty, which makes it all the more hilarious.

That is a line from the movie right?

God I hope so.
    Analord

Postby Freakzilla » 09 Dec 2011 11:02

We have a watermaster, he'll be around presently to claim your water.
    Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
    ~Pink Snowman
    Freakzilla
    Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Postby Analord » 09 Dec 2011 11:03

lotek wrote:And of course a general distate for the Preequels and other steaming poo from captain Ahack(that's Keith, or tehKAJ, the human douchebag and other similar tokens of our appreciation)will make it easier, even if we still wait for that one fanboy that can actually defend mcdune without crying and stomping their feet.

I have not read the prequels and have only read of "the KAJ" recently. The KAJ is quite a well thought out name. Kind of like Mike "the Situation."

I've actually been in this situation before. So I get the feeling I will not be approaching this situation with sympathy towards "the KAJ." But we'll see.

lotek wrote: even if we still wait for that one fanboy that can actually defend mcdune without crying and stomping their feet.

Could I be the one? Could I be the one that reads the books and changes the face of Arrakis? I mean Jagurutu.
    Analord

Postby lotek » 09 Dec 2011 11:37

They tried to kill them first
    Analord wrote:
    lotek wrote:And of course a general distate for the Preequels and other steaming poo from captain Ahack(that's Keith, or tehKAJ, the human douchebag and other similar tokens of our appreciation)will make it easier, even if we still wait for that one fanboy that can actually defend mcdune without crying and stomping their feet.

I have not read the prequels and have only read of "the KAJ" recently. The KAJ is quite a well thought out name. Kind of like Mike "the Situation."

I've actually been in this situation before. So I get the feeling I will not be approaching this situation with sympathy towards "the KAJ." But we'll see.

lotek wrote: even if we still wait for that one fanboy that can actually defend mcdune without crying and stomping their feet.

Could I be the one? Could I be the one that reads the books and changes the face of Arrakis? I mean Jagurutu.

Are you a bot ?
    lotek

Postby Omphalos » 09 Dec 2011 12:29

Analord wrote:Could I be the one? Could I be the one that reads the books and changes the face of Arrakis? I mean Jagurutu.

Why do I fucking doubt it?
    Omphalos
    Inglorious Bastard

Postby SandChigger » 09 Dec 2011 12:36

La taghfir abadan! La tansa abadan! :angry-screaming:

"Never forgive! Never forget!"
    I have heard of only one mistake that doesn’t have an explanation for a careful reader...with an open mind. (And, no, I’m not going to tell you what it is!) —KJA

I don't like every writer's style; for instance, I have never been able to get through Ursula LeGuin, China Mieville, or Iain Banks, all of whom are critical darlings. —KJA

I...had written a bunch of Star Wars and X-Files books...that proved not just that I'm a hack, but that I could write in somebody else's universe... —KJA
    SandChigger
    KJASF Ground Zero

Postby Analord » 09 Dec 2011 12:38

What makes you say I'm a bot?

Like a spam robot?
    Analord

Postby SandChigger » 09 Dec 2011 12:46

Don't mind him. He goes a bit wonky every month about this time and we either have to grab him and pin him down and force him to reboot or lure him into a cage with a sacrificial virgin.

(And since we're a bit short on virgins at the moment, get out your gloves... :P )
    SandChigger
    KJASF Ground Zero

Postby Analord » 09 Dec 2011 13:28

Omphalos wrote:
    Analord wrote:Could I be the one? Could I be the one that reads the books and changes the face of Arrakis? I mean Jagurutu.

Perhaps you do not like romantic cliches?

While we're on the subject, can somebody point me to a thread that ridicules the new books? I would rather have somebody smarter then I find all the derpy moments.

The derp must flow.
    Analord

Postby A Thing of Eternity » 09 Dec 2011 14:58

Analord wrote:
    Omphalos wrote:

Perhaps you do not like romantic cliches?

While we're on the subject, can somebody point me to a thread that ridicules the new books? I would rather have somebody smarter then I find all the derpy moments.

The derp must flow.

Welcome! We have an entire subforum here dedicated to just this task - endless ENDLESS derp for you.
    A Thing of Eternity

Postby Analord » 09 Dec 2011 15:35

Excellent...

He who controls the derp..... ....

... CONTROLS THE UNIVERSE.!!!!!
    Analord

Postby A Thing of Eternity » 09 Dec 2011 15:57

Analord wrote:Excellent...

He who controls the derp..... ....

... CONTROLS THE UNIVERSE.!!!!!

But wait, KJA is the master of creating derp, we're just the masters of calling him out on it...
    A Thing of Eternity

Postby Analord » 09 Dec 2011 16:03

You can hardly contain his derp in your forums, I'm sure.
    Analord

Next

Return to ˱