I seek refuge from ridiculousness

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

A Thing of Eternity

Re: I seek refuge from ridiculousness

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

SandChigger wrote:Beverage?

:lol:

(And I'll thank you to leave my bowels alone! :snooty: )
Bah, you win this round! Seriously though, you're mister language - why the hell are so many things called curry that have nothing to do with each other (and to me knowledge almost none of them from any part of the world actually contain curry leaves...)?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I think it's basically anything with meat or veggies cooked into a spicy stew or sauce that's served with rice or bread. ;)

Have you ever had the stuff the Japanese call "curry rice"? :doh:
A Thing of Eternity

SandChigger wrote:I think it's basically anything with meat or veggies cooked into a spicy stew or sauce that's served with rice or bread. ;)

Have you ever had the stuff the Japanese call "curry rice"? :doh:
That makes sense, except for Singapore curry (that yellow powdered dry noodle dish) and thai curry (which I guess is sometimes stew-like).

No, never had the Japanese version. Knowing the "love" Japan has for strong flavours though, I'm guessing it's plain sticky rice with a little bit of nori flakes? :lol:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Not... quite...

grandmastercrafter

Post by grandmastercrafter »

just FYI RE curry - the powder is a mixture of different spices, and back in India they usually collect the constituent spices separately and make their own curry powder in quantity for different dishes. Some of my Tamil friends claim they were the first who started it, and some of my Malayali friends say they were the first, and then you get the Gujurati and Bengali's who also claim to be originators of the spice blend... it became popular in south-east Asia after Hindu kingdoms and empires colonized the area (back 300-400 BC, so their curries are stand-alone authentic, independent of India), and world-wide when the British Empire exported indentured Indian and South-East Asian servants, sepoys, etc... to various regions, and different cultures began to adapt the spice blends to what was locally available. I've got a few variations for sweet, spicy and/or sour/bitter curry powders, if you're ever interested :) - PM me if so.
THINK CRITICALLY
:auto-gmcredsmiley:
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:Not... quite...

Japanese curry is the best out-of-a-box curry that there is. Those little sticks that they sell in the dark boxes are great for home dishes, and are quick to cook. But it just cannot compare to other nationalities fresh dishes, and sorry old bean, but there are better butt-splash makers out there too.

Nothing as cathartic as a good old fashinoned explosive curry-dump, is there? :lol:

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Omphalos wrote:and sorry old bean, but there are better butt-splash makers out there too
Quite. I don't consider the above a "real" curry by any means. And that's definitely NOT what I had the other night! :shock:

(Kinda complicated matters by having a spicy lamb ragout with couscous for lunch at the French place yesterday. I'm feeling rather a bit fragile at the moment.... :( )
A Thing of Eternity

grandmastercrafter wrote:just FYI RE curry - the powder is a mixture of different spices, and back in India they usually collect the constituent spices separately and make their own curry powder in quantity for different dishes. Some of my Tamil friends claim they were the first who started it, and some of my Malayali friends say they were the first, and then you get the Gujurati and Bengali's who also claim to be originators of the spice blend... it became popular in south-east Asia after Hindu kingdoms and empires colonized the area (back 300-400 BC, so their curries are stand-alone authentic, independent of India), and world-wide when the British Empire exported indentured Indian and South-East Asian servants, sepoys, etc... to various regions, and different cultures began to adapt the spice blends to what was locally available. I've got a few variations for sweet, spicy and/or sour/bitter curry powders, if you're ever interested :) - PM me if so.
Oh don't worry, I am extemely well aquainted with masalas of many kinds - I cook a LOT of curry, and my girlfriend is half Indian. Lots of curry!
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

grandmastercrafter wrote:just FYI RE curry - the powder is a mixture of different spices, and back in India they usually collect the constituent spices separately and make their own curry powder in quantity for different dishes. Some of my Tamil friends claim they were the first who started it, and some of my Malayali friends say they were the first, and then you get the Gujurati and Bengali's who also claim to be originators of the spice blend... it became popular in south-east Asia after Hindu kingdoms and empires colonized the area (back 300-400 BC, so their curries are stand-alone authentic, independent of India), and world-wide when the British Empire exported indentured Indian and South-East Asian servants, sepoys, etc... to various regions, and different cultures began to adapt the spice blends to what was locally available. I've got a few variations for sweet, spicy and/or sour/bitter curry powders, if you're ever interested :) - PM me if so.
You might as well post them here. Who knows? If we keep this up long enough we might eventually swing back around to the topic!
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

This isn't Chigs explosive bowel movement thread?

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Nekhrun wrote:
grandmastercrafter wrote:I've got a few variations for sweet, spicy and/or sour/bitter curry powders, if you're ever interested :) - PM me if so.
You might as well post them here. Who knows? If we keep this up long enough we might eventually swing back around to the topic!
SECONDED! :D

(Enough with my exploding bowels already! :hand: )
A Thing of Eternity

I'm always game for more recipes.
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Aye, post the recipes here.

I've found the pickled onions that the indian place at the university to be particularly adept at loosening one's bowels in a most efficient manner.

Rob
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Mmmm... you just reminded me of lime pickles. I LOVE those. :D
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

I favour having the recipes here as well. Big time spicy food lover from all over the globe :)
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
grandmastercrafter

Post by grandmastercrafter »

Nekhrun wrote:You might as well post them here. Who knows? If we keep this up long enough we might eventually swing back around to the topic!
What topic was that again? Me saying, "What up!" to all and sundry (wow - I actually used the word 'sundry' in yet another sentence - nice)? I think we've beaten that horse dead :lol:

:beat dead horse:
What say you that I start a new thread with some recipes for both curries and indian pickles...? Or for continuities sake, I can post recipes here - what's the etiquette? There are a whole bunch of South Indian recipes, that don't involve corroding internal organs, that I could add as well.

I've got some pretty solid ties to the subcontinent too (Thing - what part of India does half of your girlfriend come from?), and have had beaten into me an appreciation for South Asian histories, languages, religions and culture, from a young age... :confusion-seeingstars:
THINK CRITICALLY
:auto-gmcredsmiley:
A Thing of Eternity

SandChigger wrote:Mmmm... you just reminded me of lime pickles. I LOVE those. :D
I love that stuff too, but garlic pickle is my favourite (not the mediterranean stuff).
Last edited by A Thing of Eternity on 15 Jul 2010 10:12, edited 1 time in total.
A Thing of Eternity

grandmastercrafter wrote:
I've got some pretty solid ties to the subcontinent too (Thing - what part of India does half of your girlfriend come from?)
Her heritage is a mess. Her Scottish last name comes from her Indian half (so she's not quite half, way back had a white great grandfather), and she also has some Mongolian on that side, which is her father's side. Her mother is Ukrainian and Gypsy.

As to what part of India - I'd guess north, probably not Punjab based on the utterly weird curry her dad makes. Honestly, I'm more Indian than him in spirit - his family was well off over there, and moved to England before Canada, they really consider themselves more British than Indian (she has some aunts that take it more seriously though). The only Indian thing he likes is curry.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
SandChigger wrote:Mmmm... you just reminded me of lime pickles. I LOVE those. :D
I love that stuff too, but garlic pickle is my favourite (not the mediterranean stuff).
The Japanese do a garlic pickle, too. Little cloves in an almost-dry katsuo (bonito) flake paste. Yum! :dance:
A Thing of Eternity

Sounds really good.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I made a Korean pickle of garlic in honey once. That stuff was great!

Goodnight Golden Path!
A Thing of Eternity

Omphalos wrote:I made a Korean pickle of garlic in honey once. That stuff was great!
Did you just mix up a bunch of small cloves with honey and jar it? OR was there vinegar/spices as well? Honey is plenty to preserve it all by itself, but man, with some Sambal Oleck and good vinegar in the mix that could be one epic preserve! (wheels turning in me brain...)
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Omphalos wrote:I made a Korean pickle of garlic in honey once. That stuff was great!
Did you just mix up a bunch of small cloves with honey and jar it? OR was there vinegar/spices as well? Honey is plenty to preserve it all by itself, but man, with some Sambal Oleck and good vinegar in the mix that could be one epic preserve! (wheels turning in me brain...)
The former, actually. Now that I think of it, I think it was a Japanese book on pickling that I found out about it. Not Korean. The book said that it was good for head colds, and man, they were not kidding.

Goodnight Golden Path!
A Thing of Eternity

Man, I'm gonna make me something like this to use in stir fries. Just a wee bit o vinegar, lotsa Sambal.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:Man, I'm gonna make me something like this to use in stir fries. Just a wee bit o vinegar, lotsa Sambal.
I like sambal Badjak and Brandal best. Milder in taste than Oelek but o so nice!

One of the treats I make myself sometimes is very simple. Hard boil an egg let it cool down and the cut it in half length-wise. Put some sambal on it and feast on the treat :)
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."