New to this forum

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

artistagent116

New to this forum

Post by artistagent116 »

I've usually been a "token" female amongst other Dune groupies........why is that? Is geekdom generally reserved for men? Don't get mad - I said "generally". I'm a Star Wars geek, also.......but not a Trekkie. I am an artist (a painter), mother and grandmother ---see! How many grandmothers do you know who are Sci Fi fans? I live with my hubby in South Central Indiana.

Me - In high school (in the 70s) my friends were reading LORD OF THE RINGS but it didn't sound like something I'd get into, so I picked up Dune. I've read the original 6 in order about 6 or 7 times over the years. My hubby and daughter don't understand why. Isn't it funny how you become so immersed in the Duniverse that you find yourself applying FH's terminology to your own life? Example: I just had the adab, the unbidden memory. Though, I've never felt the need to recite the Litany Against Fear. Like a lot of you, I've been phoned from more than one bar by more than one person with a Dune or SW trivia question no one there could answer.

I did read the o-t-h-e-r Dune novels. I am a purist, though and wasn't overly impressed. But I can say that I've read them. They did not expand my perception of the Dune universe however, I didn't permit them to. They didn't feel "Frank-Herbert-y".

My favorite book of the series? COD. Why? I guess it's because we're already imprinted with Dune's history, the Fremen, the principal characters, the political goings-on, and such - and now we're into the souls of this story's inhabitants.

Does anyone else wonder what the Caladian whales look like with all that fur? I'd love to see one.

Well, it's been nice meeting you. I hope this is mutually beneficial
It's 2010 for cryin' out loud!! Where's my flying car ??!!??
SandRider
Watermaster

Re: New to this forum

Post by SandRider »

can't help it, gotta say it ....

spidey-sense .... tingling ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

artistagent116 wrote:Well, it's been nice meeting you. I hope this is mutually beneficial
More beneficial than the other site you registered on today. Hi.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

artistagent116 wrote:How many grandmothers do you know who are Sci Fi fans?
Twelve!

No, wait ...

None!

(Welcome)
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Achlan wasachlan! :)

Cream & sugar in your spice coffee? (Keep your baklawa close or 'Rider will swipe it when you're not looking. ;) )
Aquila ka-Hecate

Post by Aquila ka-Hecate »

Hi there, artistagent116!

I'm not a grandmother yet, but I'm old enough to be, and my son is 24 already (where do the years go?)

I felt the same in the Dune vs LotR argument - I could never get into the world of Hobbits, yet felt right at home on the desert planet.

As for the female-to-male ratio - well I dunno, but I was also the only female in my 'varsity class of Physics majors. There's probably some psych babble reason there.
Anyway, welcome to the most Dune-knowledgeable forums around!

PS Whale fur? I've always imagined it to be very short fur, for what it's worth. :D
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Hellooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

My ex-wife moved to Bloomington, but Ill not hold it against you that you live in a tainted part of the nation. :D

I was rereading the part of Dune where Jessica discovered the garden, and I was struck for the first time how the architecture was reminiscent of the Shire.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Welcome, we can always use more ladies around the joint to round out all the raging testosterone junkies. :wink:
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Welcome Home!
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

hihihi artistagent116 :)
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Welcome on board. Looking forward to hearing more from you.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Welcome :)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Welcome!

CoD is my favorite, too.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
trang

Post by trang »

Well Met and Welcome, grab a spice beer and join in

We will do our best to spread the Mutual Benefit of loving frank's works!

Im partial to GEOD, am on the long side of my reread (lost count) and enjoying HOD Immensly (again).
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Welcome! :orcs-buttshake:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

Welcome aboard. As for whale fur I've always thought of the old bearded whale from the "here there be monsters" days.

ImageImage
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I imagined them like normal whales with fur like seals:

Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Do you think they're indigenous to Caladan (and therefore not really mammals) and humans just applied the "whale" name to them, or were they brought to Caladan from Earth (or some other settled world) and they either mutated or someone messed with their genes?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:Do you think they're indigenous to Caladan (and therefore not really mammals) and humans just applied the "whale" name to them, or were they brought to Caladan from Earth (or some other settled world) and they either mutated or someone messed with their genes?
I got the impression that most life is terran but for a few exceptions like sandworms.

Kynes' halucination of his father spoke of "inserting adapted terraform life" so I assumed that was common practice.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

No way to know, really. The odds of alien life being edible are probably quite low, so humans would have to take Terran food plants and animals along with them wherever they settle.

And you can always traipse la-la-la-lly down morpork's Gilded Path and assume that ALL "alien" life in Dune is Terran in origin. ;)
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Let's not get crazy now... but the majority of the fauna FH mentions ARE terran and adapted. Thorses and Laza Tigers for example.

I'm thankful FH leaves some things up to our imagination, unlike some authors. :wink:
~Pink Snowman
artistagent116

Post by artistagent116 »

Freakzilla wrote:Let's not get crazy now... but the majority of the fauna FH mentions ARE terran and adapted. Thorses and Laza Tigers for example.

I'm thankful FH leaves some things up to our imagination, unlike some authors. :wink:
I, too get the impression that the flora and fauna in the series are terran-based and subsequently adapted as per each planet on which they were transplanted. In fact, it was a source of frustration during my first read-through of the series. I was hoping for hugely mutated or radically specialized alien creatures to read about. I was young, give me a break! When I had "matured" though, I realized that this tale simply doesn't require a focus on weird and unusual animal or plant life. The characters and story are compelling enough as they stand.
It's 2010 for cryin' out loud!! Where's my flying car ??!!??
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

One of the things about the Duniverse is that humanity is the the only sentient species, and life is rare in that universe. There are the noted examples of Extra-Terrestrial life forms i. e. Sandworms and some of the flora from Ecaz if I'm remembering correctly. I'm wondering though if FH intended all animal life to be terran in origin. One could classify sandworms as plants seeing as they exhale Oxygen right? And interestingly enough there extra terrestrial plants have some very interesting applications for humans. Such as the spice (spice n. any of a class of pungent or aromatic substances of vegetable origin, as pepper, cinnamon, or cloves, used as seasoning, preservatives, etc.) or Sapho. I think FH was still hopeful to the idea of "mind-expansion" by natural chemical means.

This welcome thread got off topic
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

No, they are not a plant because they produce O2, that's not the definition of a plant by a long shot. Plants photosynthesize.

Sandworms are animals.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

IIRC there is some language stating that teh action of the sandworms bodies across sand produces oxygen too. Been a while since I looked that though.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!