Hello every one

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

SadisticCynic

Re: Hello every one

Post by SadisticCynic »

Using LSD to get back to reality, now there's an idea! :)
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
niño-gusano

Post by niño-gusano »

When I fist watched the movie (Lynch´s one, of course) I had not even read the book. To tell the truth I did not understand a thing´till I read it but it was the reason why I did it. So, although I agree with most of you I´ll always love Lynch´s messy (but beautiful) movie.....and the stillsuits are so cool!...i´ve even thought of trying to make one for Halloween...
Last edited by niño-gusano on 02 Jul 2009 13:20, edited 1 time in total.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

The special effects alone were groundbreaking for their time.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Lynch's Dune is packed full of brilliant visual short-hand. It certainly deviates from the book, but it does so incredibly :).

It does look better on a big screen though - DVD doesn't do it justice. I missed it first time around (owing to only being a month old at the time), but I saw it at my local art-house a few years ago... and it was incredible. Eg - the Navigator scene at the beginning is so lavish it's visually mindblowing!

Also, faults aside, there is a surprising amount of pure FH in there (more direct lines of dialogue than the mini for sure) stuff like "Law is the Ultimate Science" above the Emperor's door. Miniseries didn't have anything that good. :P
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

I don't pretend to understand David Lynch's mind (which is an especially esoteric mind, even for a filmmaker), so I can't say for absolutely certain why he chose bald Reverend Mothers for the Bene Gesserit. However, if I were a filmmaker and I wanted a visual cue which would communicate a sense of unease in the presence of a Bene Gesserit, I might choose to utilize bald actresses in order to evoke an unsettling feeling from my audience. As film, the image of a bald woman with metal teeth immediately makes the audience squirm in their seats whereas evoking that same sense of the ill-ease induced by a Bene Gesserit (which is by default an immaterial effect in the book) it might be impossible to do so in most other ways given the limitations and the time constraints of the film medium.

If I had a running time like that of Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings films, as a director I might avoid using bald actresses and instead use some kind of quick, but very upsetting scene placed at the beginning of the film which would initially establish the nature of the Bene Gesserit from that point forward. Perhaps a scene in which a BG (in a VERY visually distinctive dress which would repeat during the rest of the film....perhaps a strong primary color) is assisting in the delivery of a new born only to seize the child for herself, literally ripping mother and child apart, leaving the mother weeping in utter sadness as the BG carries the child off to the sisterhood. In less than a minute and without a single line of dialog, you've established the BG character for the remainder of your film. No baldness required :)

Anyway, that's my take on it, as an amateur film geek :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Julie-zhu

Post by Julie-zhu »

:) :)
Hey everyone
Glad to see you!I'm Julie-zhu, im 23 years old. I'm happy to be a menber here. I like travelling, listening to music, watching movies, making friends and so on.This year, I found my first job. I wanna do it well and have a good start to my work.
Nice to meet you! Hope we can be good friends in future. :) ;)
A boy asked a girl,"May I ask for directions to you?""Yes, of course.Where do you wanna go?""Your heart."
to find us,search everbuying at Yahoo,rank No.1
lotek

Post by lotek »

piss off
Spice is the worm's gonads.
nampigai

Post by nampigai »

how rude ^^
Do not be quick to reveal judgment. Hidden judgment is often more potent. It can guide reaction whose effects are felt only when too late to divert them.
- Bene Gesserit Advice to Postulants
lotek

Post by lotek »

Spice is the worm's gonads.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

nampigai wrote:how rude ^^
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Julie-zhu wrote::) :)
Hey everyone
Glad to see you!I'm Julie-zhu, im 23 years old. I'm happy to be a menber here. I like travelling, listening to music, watching movies, making friends and so on.This year, I found my first job. I wanna do it well and have a good start to my work.
Nice to meet you! Hope we can be good friends in future. :) ;)
The only thing missing from this description is ... WHAT? :roll:
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Do you know Susie by any chance?
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Okay, evidently I'm missing something here, but either way-- I'm still going to say welcome.

EDIT to add: okay, read the other threads now, still I'm holding out hope that she is a real new member. But Julie please do tell how you found us and what you think of Dune.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.