• Register
  • Login
  •          

    greetings and props to freakzilla

    Image
      Tell us a little about yourself

    Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

    Re: greetings and props to freakzilla

    Postby DuneFishUK » 15 Apr 2009 16:48

    A Thing of Eternity wrote:
    Baraka Bryan wrote:
    Drunken Idaho wrote:Welcome Gombeen!

    Hmm, I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I'm pretty sure Frank called the character Irulan because it is an anagram for Urinal... Ghanima even makes fun of her name in CoD, calling her "Ruinal" which isn't even a proper word, but to me he is hinting at "Urinal."

    Anyway, I'd probably name a girl Ghanima if I ever had an awesome-enough wife to agree to such a thing. Alia is a pretty common name, but I detest the Alliyah spelling. No way I'd name my kid after some dead R&B singer, unless it was Isaac Hayes. There's a chain of girly-accessories stores called "Alia" up here.


    way to go DI, now he's gonna be calling his kid Urinal in his head :P

    yeah i'd either go with Ghanima or Chani possibly... both awesome names.
    I want to name a son Ender :)


    I wouldn't name a girl Ghanima or Ghani personally, she'd just end up being called Grandma or Granny all her life, plus it's not a very feminine name. It's a cool name, I just don't think it's one the kid would appreciate having.

    First name Frank, middle name Herbert. Blatantly. :D
    User avatar
    DuneFishUK
     
    Posts: 1987
    Joined: 25 May 2008 14:14
    Location: Cool Britannia

    Re: greetings and props to freakzilla

    Postby SadisticCynic » 15 Apr 2009 17:38

    Drunken Idaho wrote:Welcome Gombeen!

    Hmm, I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I'm pretty sure Frank called the character Irulan because it is an anagram for Urinal... Ghanima even makes fun of her name in CoD, calling her "Ruinal" which isn't even a proper word, but to me he is hinting at "Urinal."

    Anyway, I'd probably name a girl Ghanima if I ever had an awesome-enough wife to agree to such a thing. Alia is a pretty common name, but I detest the Alliyah spelling. No way I'd name my kid after some dead R&B singer, unless it was Isaac Hayes. There's a chain of girly-accessories stores called "Alia" up here.


    Um... Isn't that 'ruin all'? :wink:
    Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
    User avatar
    SadisticCynic
     
    Posts: 1980
    Joined: 07 Apr 2009 09:28
    Location: In Time or in Space?

    Re: greetings and props to freakzilla

    Postby Drunken Idaho » 15 Apr 2009 21:49

    I think Ghani meant it as an adjective describing Irulan, meaning the same thing as Ruinous.

    I don't hold it against Frank, it's just poetic license. Plus the fact thet he's writing a story that takes place 25,000 years into the future, where the language they speak is Galach and it may not even resemble English at all.
    "The Idahos were never ordinary people."
    -Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
    User avatar
    Drunken Idaho
     
    Posts: 1197
    Joined: 15 Sep 2008 23:56
    Location: Ontario, Canada

    Re: greetings and props to freakzilla

    Postby trang » 15 Apr 2009 22:21

    Drunken Idaho wrote:Welcome Gombeen!

    Alia is a pretty common name, but I detest the Alliyah spelling. No way I'd name my kid after some dead R&B singer, unless it was Isaac Hayes. There's a chain of girly-accessories stores called "Alia" up here.


    Thanks for the vote of favor!! fyi my daughter is 17 years old... had nothing to do with the singer.
    "Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

    Image

    "Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
    But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.."
    User avatar
    trang
     
    Posts: 1221
    Joined: 06 May 2008 18:59
    Location: Hot Tub Time Machine

    Re: greetings and props to freakzilla

    Postby theGombeenMan » 15 Apr 2009 23:22

    thanx for suggesting i named daughter after a urinal...i assume social skills was something the tleilaxu forgot to include when you were in the axlotl tanks, maybe they were drunk :wink:

    ghanima i think means spoil of war
    Chani doesnt sound good with my last name

    tell me Irulan Khan doesnt sound sweet?

    which is the main reason i named her not in the hopes she becomes as hated as the book character was. 100% of the people i encounter say how pretty the name is plus she is quite pretty

    FYI
    most arabs and pakistani spell alia this way: aliyah since this spelling is inclusive of many of the letters of arabic alphabet
    theGombeenMan
     
    Posts: 12
    Joined: 11 Apr 2009 21:32

    Re: greetings and props to freakzilla

    Postby Eyes High » 15 Apr 2009 23:31

    Sounds nice to me, even though I might not be pronouncing it the way you do. The main thing is, do you and your wife like the name. If the answer is yes, then who cares what others think.

    I know, to me, my real name should be easy to pronounce but you would be surprised as how many different names I am called by others.

    I simply smile (especially if they are my elders or either very young) and acknowledge what they say. I know most do it not out of meaness.
    Image

    What fear is there in the night?
    Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
    User avatar
    Eyes High
    Patience Personified
     
    Posts: 2314
    Joined: 22 Jul 2008 15:32
    Location: between the worlds of men and make believe

    Re: greetings and props to freakzilla

    Postby theGombeenMan » 15 Apr 2009 23:54

    thanx for the support

    Im not concerned about it ...but you knw what they say about first impressions.
    back to the name thing ...when possible pronouncing someone's name demonstrates interest in part of who you are. it goes a long way when meeting people of different cultures: it instantly buys you credibility
    theGombeenMan
     
    Posts: 12
    Joined: 11 Apr 2009 21:32

    Re: greetings and props to freakzilla

    Postby Omphalos » 16 Apr 2009 00:14

    My parents names were Moody and Serena, and both of them were III's. They hated their names so much that they picked first names at random for me any my brother, but picked the strangest family names they could find for me and my brother.

    You have no idea how many letters came for "Woody and Sersna" at my house when I was a kid.
    User avatar
    Omphalos
    Inglorious Bastard
     
    Posts: 6523
    Joined: 05 Feb 2008 11:07
    Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

    Re: greetings and props to freakzilla

    Postby SandChigger » 16 Apr 2009 02:44

    Omphalos wrote:they picked first names at random for me any my brother, but picked the strangest family names they could find for me and my brother

    Am I the only one not getting this one? :?
    User avatar
    SandChigger
    KJASF Ground Zero
     
    Posts: 14490
    Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
    Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"

    Re: greetings and props to freakzilla

    Postby chanilover » 16 Apr 2009 03:33

    Eyes High wrote:Sounds nice to me, even though I might not be pronouncing it the way you do. The main thing is, do you and your wife like the name. If the answer is yes, then who cares what others think.

    I know, to me, my real name should be easy to pronounce but you would be surprised as how many different names I am called by others.

    I simply smile (especially if they are my elders or either very young) and acknowledge what they say. I know most do it not out of meaness.


    What's your real name?
    "You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
    Image
    Image
    User avatar
    chanilover
     
    Posts: 1639
    Joined: 18 Feb 2008 08:29

    Re: greetings and props to freakzilla

    Postby Eyes High » 16 Apr 2009 07:49

    chanilover wrote:
    Eyes High wrote:Sounds nice to me, even though I might not be pronouncing it the way you do. The main thing is, do you and your wife like the name. If the answer is yes, then who cares what others think.

    I know, to me, my real name should be easy to pronounce but you would be surprised as how many different names I am called by others.

    I simply smile (especially if they are my elders or either very young) and acknowledge what they say. I know most do it not out of meaness.


    What's your real name?



    Sheria
    Image

    What fear is there in the night?
    Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
    User avatar
    Eyes High
    Patience Personified
     
    Posts: 2314
    Joined: 22 Jul 2008 15:32
    Location: between the worlds of men and make believe

    Re: greetings and props to freakzilla

    Postby Tleszer » 16 Apr 2009 09:04

    SandChigger wrote:
    Omphalos wrote:they picked first names at random for me any my brother, but picked the strangest family names they could find for me and my brother

    Am I the only one not getting this one? :?


    No, you're not the only one, Chig.
    DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
    User avatar
    Tleszer
     
    Posts: 2161
    Joined: 17 Feb 2008 18:02

    Re: greetings and props to freakzilla

    Postby Eyes High » 16 Apr 2009 09:32

    Tleszer wrote:
    SandChigger wrote:
    Omphalos wrote:they picked first names at random for me any my brother, but picked the strangest family names they could find for me and my brother

    Am I the only one not getting this one? :?


    No, you're not the only one, Chig.



    I'm assuming the family names are the middle names since he wrote that they randomly choose first names.
    Image

    What fear is there in the night?
    Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
    User avatar
    Eyes High
    Patience Personified
     
    Posts: 2314
    Joined: 22 Jul 2008 15:32
    Location: between the worlds of men and make believe

    Re: greetings and props to freakzilla

    Postby chanilover » 16 Apr 2009 09:37

    Eyes High wrote:
    chanilover wrote:
    Eyes High wrote:Sounds nice to me, even though I might not be pronouncing it the way you do. The main thing is, do you and your wife like the name. If the answer is yes, then who cares what others think.

    I know, to me, my real name should be easy to pronounce but you would be surprised as how many different names I am called by others.

    I simply smile (especially if they are my elders or either very young) and acknowledge what they say. I know most do it not out of meaness.


    What's your real name?



    Sheria


    Does it sound like sharia? Or more like Sherry with an "uh" at the end?
    "You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
    Image
    Image
    User avatar
    chanilover
     
    Posts: 1639
    Joined: 18 Feb 2008 08:29

    Re: greetings and props to freakzilla

    Postby Eyes High » 16 Apr 2009 09:44

    The way I tell most people is that is rhymes with Maria.

    so Sh re ah

    but I have been called: Sherida, Sherita, Searia, Shernia (Some of my famiy still calls me Sherry), and there's this child who still calls me Mrs. Shelia

    I just smile and answer
    Image

    What fear is there in the night?
    Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
    User avatar
    Eyes High
    Patience Personified
     
    Posts: 2314
    Joined: 22 Jul 2008 15:32
    Location: between the worlds of men and make believe

    Re: greetings and props to freakzilla

    Postby Eyes High » 16 Apr 2009 10:20

    I'm just amazed how many variations some people can come up with. There is an elderly gentleman at my church who actually calls me Sahara (like the desert) And one time he called me Sierra (like the drink.)

    I admit I like some of the variation better than my actual name. Hey, at least they talk to me and try to pronounce it.
    Image

    What fear is there in the night?
    Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
    User avatar
    Eyes High
    Patience Personified
     
    Posts: 2314
    Joined: 22 Jul 2008 15:32
    Location: between the worlds of men and make believe

    Re: greetings and props to freakzilla

    Postby Omphalos » 17 Apr 2009 01:16

    SandChigger wrote:
    Omphalos wrote:they picked first names at random for me any my brother, but picked the strangest family names they could find for me and my brother

    Am I the only one not getting this one? :?


    I meant middle names. Sorry. Fasting too type there for a minute.
    User avatar
    Omphalos
    Inglorious Bastard
     
    Posts: 6523
    Joined: 05 Feb 2008 11:07
    Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

    Re: greetings and props to freakzilla

    Postby inhuien » 17 Apr 2009 05:50

    Nice digital spoonerism there. :lol:
    Image
    User avatar
    inhuien
     
    Posts: 3629
    Joined: 09 Feb 2008 05:03
    Location: right here as in not (all) there

    Re: greetings and props to freakzilla

    Postby Omphalos » 17 Apr 2009 13:35

    inhuien wrote:Nice digital spoonerism there. :lol:


    :D
    User avatar
    Omphalos
    Inglorious Bastard
     
    Posts: 6523
    Joined: 05 Feb 2008 11:07
    Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

    Re: greetings and props to freakzilla

    Postby SandChigger » 18 Apr 2009 21:19

    Nice. :lol:
    User avatar
    SandChigger
    KJASF Ground Zero
     
    Posts: 14490
    Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
    Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"

    Previous

    Return to ˱

    Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest