Keith J. Hackerson's DUNE BLOG / tehKJA's Blahg(kjablog.com)

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

A Thing of Eternity

Re: Keith J. Hackerson's DUNE BLOG / tehKJA's Blahg(kjablog.com)

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

So forget that second quote, that first one is a big deal - the guy is actually admitting to writing stuff he's not passionate about. Not just the odd book either: "it's been years" - well that overlaps with some fucking Dune now doesn't it? What a goof, not only did he admit that he's churning out books for money that he doesn't feel strongly about, he says in 2 different ways that he hasn't felt that way about the Dune stuff. Or his Saggy suns stuff. Or his Hellhole, or his terrible incognito.

Nemo was published in 2002.

Now, to be fair, he's not totally saying he wasn't passionate at all about any of his books in the last NINE years, he's just saying he wasn't passionate to the level that he had to put down all other writing until the project was done. BUT firstly, the way he says "took a break from books under contract" really makes those books sound like a chore, and secondly, in that time period he not only wrote a pile of "filler" Dune books, he wrote what he considers the grand finale to Dune, one of the greatest SF series of all time.

He wrote what could have been one of the most important stories in the last several decades of SF, and he didn't feel that way about it. Nice job, asshat.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

The 'take a break from books under contract' part was meant to say "I am so much in demand" When what it really said was "my contracts are running out and I need a new cash cow."

KJA considers it a business first, and considers quantity very much superior to quality aka the more he writes the better a writer he is; when in fact we know it to be the exact opposite.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

He seems to do that a lot. I mean, he lets things slip; he says things without meaning to, things that make him come off like an asshole.
That's just my biased opinion, of course.
I bring nothing to the table.
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

I've never met the guy but I did read a (literal) shitload of his 'interviews' and he seems to me to be a casual liar.
A casual liar says just what the situation requires, nothing nessesarily over the top like 'I invented ketchup,' just whatever is needed at the time that should never be questioned like, '...i've always been a fan of ______,' or 'Brian found his fathers notes after we decided on a plot- and that's when we discovered Frank was going to do the same thing!'

smug smarmy smeghead
:angry-screaming:
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
A Thing of Eternity

Ha, that second one ain't so casual, but I agree that description fits him like a glove. Never over the top really, just simple things, the fish was always a little bigger than it really was...
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Ampoliros wrote:The 'take a break from books under contract' part was meant to say "I am so much in demand" When what it really said was "my contracts are running out and I need a new cash cow."

KJA considers it a business first, and considers quantity very much superior to quality aka the more he writes the better a writer he is; when in fact we know it to be the exact opposite.
What he is really saying is that he has a reason for not delivering those Dune books the way they originally planned. On, no. Couldn't be because they suck soiled ass and now even blind ole Tom Doherety knows it too. NooooOOOOooooo. Its because He felt those good old artistic drives to pursue his true passion.

Wanker.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Sev wrote:Something on one of the Hack's recent blog-turds about his new 'Death Warmed Up' series didn't sit right for some reason - and it's finally occurred to me what it is.
Incidentally, this series sounds remarkably similar to one that Tad Williams has been blogging about for a while, the first volume of which he's just completed. Now, I'd be the last person on Earth to suggest that KJA reads Tad Williams' blog and was, ahem, influenced by the idea, but it just goes to show that KJA is not coming up with anything even remotely original.

Again.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

JustSomeGuy wrote:He seems to do that a lot. I mean, he lets things slip; he says things without meaning to, things that make him come off like an asshole.
That's just my biased opinion, of course.

that could be an objective opinion, too .... have a random friend take a look at any random collections of his twits, see what they say ..

I made this argument in the Amazon Basement a number of times, in response to Anderclones who say I am "picking on him" -
I swear to the Little Baby Jesus, with Brian Herbert scared to look on the internet for fear of finding something "offensive" being
said (or drawn) about him, and the commercial, critical, and Anderclone-Fanboi fail that's accompanied every McDune episode
since NotDune7, this Jihad would be wound-down, sputtered & possibly stopped had teh Keith not started twittering - the sheer
volume of mockable items that he lets go into the ethernet (on a daily basis, if not twice-daily or more) has kept me involved ....

and added to my claim that not only is teh Keith a penny-per-word hack of the lowest order, not a particularly gifted "writer" in the
first place nor even particularly intelligent, he is also a bona fide shitheel, an asshat, a really poor & pathetic person ....

KEVIN J. ANDERSON is a true asshole; that's not really a "biased opinion", but more of a conclusion from the empirical evidence of
his own words .... and somewhere, in the early pages of the "Twitter Wars" thread, I said "The internet is not your friend, Keith ..."
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Just noticed this on the blog:

http://www.wordfire.com/index.php?page= ... Itemid=235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Both Dune 7 hardcovers for only $50.00! What a bargain ...

... except you can pick up both of these as remainders for about 7 bucks apiece.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

These breathtaking novels in Frank Herbert's Dune series has enough surprises, characters, and plot twists to please even the most jaded reader.
A Thing of Eternity

JustSomeGuy wrote:
These breathtaking novels in Frank Herbert's Dune series has enough surprises, characters, and plot twists to please even the most jaded reader.
Nice grammar...
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Seriously? That's $4.00 off the original list price.

Like HBJ said you can get them in the bargain bin for less than $7.00 in a retail store and for about $7.00 for the set used.

Then again, the books are written for the LCD crowd that would certainly jump at a $50.00 deal for a pair of years old hardcovers.
trang

Post by trang »

I think borders was using his books for doorstops at the sale before closing branches.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

inhuien

Post by inhuien »

That's nasty, poor doors.
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Do any of you ever post on his blog? Nothing hateful or hurtful, just, you know, whatever.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

JustSomeGuy wrote:Do any of you ever post on his blog? Nothing hateful or hurtful, just, you know, whatever.
I did, once...
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

JustSomeGuy wrote:Do any of you ever post on his blog? Nothing hateful or hurtful, just, you know, whatever.
Nah. Never even tried: I don't want the fucker getting ahold of any of my IP addresses and trying to block me. ;)

(Although the prospect of watching the antics of his [butt]crack team of IT whizzers making the attempt might be pretty amusing... no, nevermind. :lol: )
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I did once too. REamed him out a bit and took Unca Mike about a week to realize it was there. Good times. Good times.

Goodnight Golden Path!
trang

Post by trang »

"TheKJA Kevin J Anderson
back from 2-day camping/hiking trip in Sangre de Cristo mtns, dictating new Dan Shamble: Zombie PI novel & editing 7 Suns novella @ campsite"

his latest twit...
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Dan Shamble? Is that what he's calling it?

Ugh. :roll:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

No you see he shambles. 'cause he's a zombie. shamble; shambles! Get it?
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

:puke:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

clever

:puke:
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Zombie PI???? What the fuck???? Turd.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Omphalos wrote:Zombie PI???? What the fuck???? Turd.
Hack. Now a zombie secret agent, that would be sweet.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros