For The Record

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

SandRider
Watermaster

For The Record

Post by SandRider »

I'm sure most of you have read this.
I think this, and materials like it, should be posted here, for the record, as a research source for whoever eventually writes the book about the OH movement.
http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/2 ... erson.html

Q: Your books have been published since the late 80s. As hard as it might be to believe, there are probably readers out there who have never picked up a Kevin J. Anderson novel, so where would you recommend starting and why?

Kevin: I think my best solo work is probably my Saga of Seven Suns series—seven volumes, and I just finished the last one. That series sums up everything I love about the science fiction genre.

Q: Arguably, the Star Wars tie-novels that you wrote in the mid-to-late 90s including the Jedi Academy trilogy and the Young Jedi Knights series with your wife Rebecca Moesta were partly responsible for your early success. What kind of experience was that playing in the Stars Wars universe and do you have any plans of writing another Star Wars tie-in novel?

Kevin: I had published seven of my own novels before I was offered the Star Wars gig. The very year my first Star Wars book hit the bestseller list was also the year I was nominated for the Nebula Award for an original novel (written with Doug Beason). As a fan, I loved being asked to work in Star Wars. I spent a lot of time up at Skywalker Ranch, I got to meet George Lucas a couple of times, and I had a blast working in that universe. Yes, it did bring my writing to millions of fans who had never heard of me before, and I’m very grateful. At present, it’s been so long since I’ve dipped into the very detailed SW extended universe, it would be very hard for me to pick up and do something new in it.

Q: That sounds pretty awesome :) So you’ve actually dabbled in many other established worlds as well including Dune, the X-Files, StarCraft, et cetera. What are the advantages and disadvantages of writings books in already established universes?

Kevin: What die-hard fan hasn’t made up his or her new adventures of a favorite show or movie? I always did. I always felt that I lived with those characters in my imagination anyway. (When I was in high school, I think I wrote about 70 of my own Star Trek stories.) I never stopped writing my own books, but I had a great time working in these great and popular universes

Q: Focusing on the Dune books that you’ve been co-authoring with Brian Herbert, “Sandworms of Dune” was just released last year which completed the duology that brought to life Frank Herbert’s planned seventh novel in the original Dune sequence. Browsing through reviews, the novel received sort of a mixed response. What are your thoughts on how the duology turned out, and the difficulties of living up to such high expectations?

Kevin: Brian and I have now written ten novels in the Dune universe, and they have been extremely well received, winning numerous awards and being selected as New York Times Notable book (absolutely unheard-of for a novel written in somebody else’s universe), many best-of-the-year lists, etc. For “Hunters of Dune” and “Sandworms of Dune” we were more constrained than in the previous books because we had to follow Frank Herbert’s detailed outline. A lot of the things people were complaining about were the things Frank left for us to do. But we had to write the books in the way he intended for the grand finale to unfold. People had extremely high expectations—but you also have to remember that a very large portion of the readership really hated Frank’s own sequels when they originally appeared. “Dune Messiah” was labeled the “disappointment of the year.” Many readers couldn’t finish “God-Emperor of Dune”, they complained about “Heretics of Dune”, then they complained about “Chapterhouse Dune”. Now all those novels are considered classics.

Q: Good point :) Now what can you tell us about the “Paul of Dune”, the rest of the next story arc, and any other plans that you & Brian have for the future of the Dune universe?

Kevin: “Paul of Dune” is the story set between “Dune” and “Dune Messiah”, the great Jihad that sweeps across the galaxy in the name of Muad’Dib, and how Paul Atreides gradually changes from hero to tyrant. We have other parts of that story we plan on telling, namely “Jessica of Dune” and “Irulan of Dune”. After that, we’re considering going back to the formation of the great Schools, but Brian and I have plans to do some books of our own first.

Q: Another title that you helped co-write was Dean Koontz’s “Frankenstein: Prodigal Son”, which was the first volume in a trilogy that should be completed later this year. How did you get involved in that project, what was it like working with Mr. Koontz, and how come you’re not involved with the rest of the trilogy?

Kevin: Dean has been my mentor for a long time, giving me excellent help and advice early in my career. When he wanted to create this new series (based on a script and TV series pilot he had written), he asked me to do the first book. He asked his friend Ed Gorman to work on the second book, and he’s doing the third one himself.

Q: Besides Brian Herbert, Rebecca Moesta and Dean Koontz, you’ve also collaborated with the aforementioned Doug Beason. What is it about teaming up with other writers/creators that you find so appealing and who else do you wish you could work with?

Kevin: I enjoy brainstorming with fellow writers, exchanging ideas, and learning from other writers’ techniques. To me, it’s a natural thing, almost like a game, to work with someone else to tell stories. You have to check your ego at the door, make sure you both have the same vision for the novel, and lean on each other.

Q: What about working with your wife Rebecca Moesta who is also a writer of speculative fiction among other things? How does such a relationship benefit you as an author?

Kevin: Since we’re around each other all the time, we are constantly brainstorming, and I’m always asking her opinion on stories, characters, plot twists. Rebecca’s main interest is in fiction for Young Adults, and by working together we can attract a whole new readership.

Q: Moving on, you also released a book last year called “The Last Days of Krypton” which “tells the spectacular story of Superman’s parents who are faced with the end of the world and the origin of a hero we all know.” As someone who’s written both comic books and novels, what are the advantages of telling this story in prose format ?

Kevin: I viewed this project from the outset as an epic science fiction novel. I developed the culture, the world, the characters, just as I did for “Seven Suns.” I have a lot of credits in the comic field, too, which gave me the right sensibility for this project, but this novel was a case where it was necessary to get inside the heads of the characters, flesh out their background, and add a lot more detail than would be possible in comics.

Q: Recently, you just announced HERE that you’re working on another novel set in the DC universe called “First Encounter” which relates the very first meeting between Superman and Batman. What exactly is your relationship with DC Comics/HarperEntertainment, what are the companies’ goals for these books, and how many more novels can we expect from you in the DC universe?

Kevin: I’ve known the people at DC for many, many years and I’ve worked with them on their comics projects. When I had the idea for the “Krypton” novel, I approached them directly, and after I had written my proposal, we shopped it around to publishers. Several of them bid, but HarperCollins made the best offer. They are very enthusiastic and I enjoy working with them, but my main contact is through DC directly. After they liked the “Krypton” novel so much, they came to me and asked about the Superman/Batman project, so of course I was interested. As for other projects, we’ll just have to figure out the right one. The objective here is to firmly establish a book presence for the DC Universe. “Last Days of Krypton” was a dream project for me, and I still consider it one of my best novels.

Q: As mentioned previously, you’ve also written comic books. What’s been your most memorable experience so far, what do you feel are the positives/negatives of writing comic books compared to prose fiction, and do you have any other projects in the works?

Kevin: I love writing comics (OK, so I’m sounding like a broken record…but I do really enjoy my work)—it uses a different part of my creativity, and there’s something very exciting about seeing the pencil sketches, seeing the specific images in my mind come to life from the talents of a great artist. My most impressive work in comics, I think, is my “Tales of the Jedi” epic for Star Wars, “Dark Lords of the Sith,” “The Sith War,” and “Redemption”—establishes some important background in the ancient Star Wars universe (including the introduction of the double-lightsaber, used so famously by Darth Maul in Episode I.) I’ve also done work with Predator, X-Files, Star Trek, JSA for DC, StarJammers for Marvel, an original humorous series “Grumpy Old Monsters” from IDW, and an original graphic novel in the “Seven Suns” universe for Wildstorm. I’ve got some ideas in development, but nothing actively in the works right now.

Q: Let’s talk about your original stories. Your most ambitious project is the epic seven-volume space opera series The Saga of Seven Suns which comes to its conclusion this July 2008 with “The Ashes of the World”. How does it feel that the project is finally coming to an end, were you able to accomplish everything you wanted to when you first started work on The Saga of Seven Suns, and will there be any spin-offs, sequels, prequels or whatnot?

Kevin: I spent eight years of my life developing and writing this series, and it has a cast of characters that would make Cecil B. deMille proud, with many dozens of overlapping storylines. I wanted to put all of the big ideas that I love in the SF genre, and I created a story with enough scope to carry it all. I chronicled a galactic war, telling the story from the perspective of several races, with characters from the great leaders of empires to powerless average people. I designed the story with a beginning, middle, and end, and Volume Seven does wrap up all the plotlines. I did create a big, fully-fleshed-out universe, so I’ve got room to tell other independent stories, maybe in a few years, but right now I’m very glad to bring it to its conclusion. Time to rest after seven 700-page manuscripts!

Q: On your blog you mentioned that you were brainstorming with Brian Herbert for an original new science fiction series that was similar in scope to Dune. What can you tell us about this idea, and any other writing projects that we haven’t covered yet?

Kevin: Brian and I have done ten novels in the Dune universe together and we obviously work well as collaborators. But with my own original novels, particularly the Seven Suns books, and Brian’s own Timeweb series, we don’t need to do only Dune novels. We are just now putting together an outline and proposal for the new series, but we’ll also continue to write other Dune novels.

Q: While you’ve had the pleasure of exploring many different universes like Star Wars and Dune which have crossed over into different formats, have you had any luck with getting your own original properties adapted for anything like film, television, comic books, videogames, et cetera, and if so, could you share any details?

Kevin: Some of my books have been optioned for films—“Ill Wind”, “Captain Nemo”, and “Ignition”—and I’ve gotten even more inquiries (but Hollywood is a lot of talk and no follow-through). So far, nothing in production. I’ve adapted my own X-Files novel “Ground Zero” as a graphic novel, and I’ve done a graphic novel prequel to the “Saga of Seven Suns” for Topps. I’m always open to the possibility—but you’ve got to get the right person with the right interest.

Q: What do you think of the cross-pollination today between different formats such as film, novels, comic books, television, et cetera? Is it getting to the point where it might become more advantageous for writers to have experience in more than one medium?

Kevin: I think it’s fascinating and opens many opportunities for getting crossover audiences. Videogames into novels, novels into comics, stories into serial podcasts, comics into games, fictional blogs written by characters from TV shows—it’s all a new set of opportunities for writers trying to make a living.

Q: You have a pretty impressive bibliography. After writing as long and as much as you have, what helps you through the dry spells, what still challenges you, and what do you want to accomplish still?

Kevin: I’ve published something like 95 novels and hundreds of short stories. The ideas keep coming, and I keep developing my craft, pushing the envelope of what I can do (for example, the giant continuous story that ran over seven large volumes in Saga of Seven Suns)—which gives me a skill set so that I can try even more ambitious projects. I am just about to start a nautical fantasy trilogy with sailing ships and sea monsters, which takes me in a different direction. I love to write, and I hope to keep doing it for a long, long time.

Q: Over the years, what have you learned as a writer from your experience in working in established universes, collaborating with other authors, your original projects, and writing in different formats? Is there anything else that you would like to improve upon as a writer?

Kevin: With each project I take on, I try to improve on what I’ve done before, either in complexity of plotting, intensity of the action scenes, the clarity of descriptions, deeper themes, or even just a project that will reach a completely different audience. I’ve learned a lot from my collaborators—Brian Herbert, Rebecca Moesta, and Doug Beason—and I apply it to my other novels.

Q: Because of your experience, what are your thoughts on the evolution of fantasy and science fiction (it’s acceptance in society/entertainment/media, productivity of original ideas, the different formats, publishing, etc.) and where do you see the genres’ going in the future?

Kevin: When I was a teenager, I was just the strange geek who read Sci Fi. Today, the biggest grossing films each year are science fiction, dozens of TV shows are SF, genre books regularly hit high on the bestseller lists. It’s become mainstream—and I’m thrilled about it. It’s good not to be the weirdo anymore!

Q: You’re one of the judges for L. Ron Hubbard’s Writers of the Future contest. What do you look for in a potential award-winning story, and are there any authors that maybe didn’t win in the past that you would recommend checking out?

Kevin: When I get the stories to judge, all of the names are removed, so I don’t know who the authors are. I can say that I have seen some terrific talent, and then when I help teach the workshop for prizewinners I get to meet them in person. Some of these winners have become extremely successful now and I’ve kept in touch. I particularly recommend Sean Williams, Patrick Rothfuss, and Steven Saville.

Q: Last year was tough for writers of speculative fiction. Several authors passed away including Robert Jordan, Madeline L’Engle, Lloyd Alexander, Leigh Eddings, Fred Saberhagen, Alice Borchardt, and Kurt Vonnegut Jr. while Terry Pratchett was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. Did any of this affect you and is there anything you would like to say?

Kevin: Don’t forget about Jack Williamson—I really admired him, and the SF field was good to him, always giving him standing ovations and making sure he knew how much we appreciated him. I used Jack as a main character in my JSA miniseries “Strange Adventures” as a young pulp SF writer in the 1940s covering the stories of the (real) superheroes. Jack himself read all those comics and he wrote me very heartwarming letters each time an issue hit the stands. I’ll miss him a lot.

But, as a general comment, science fiction has grown larger and has come of age, which means we have a lot more professional writers, and a lot of them are getting on in years. I’m afraid we’ll have a lot more sad years to come.

Q: Looking back on 2007, what would you say was the highlight of the year for you both professionally and personally?

Kevin: I had eight novels published last year, which was exhausting! And I had three consecutive book tours, which was even more exhausting. “Sandworms of Dune” sold better and faster than any of our previous nine Dune novels, and Brian and I spent several weeks on the road for that. Rebecca and I spent a month doing a signing tour in Australia and New Zealand, during which Seven Suns #6 “Metal Swarm” became the #1 bestselling science fiction novel on the continent (and in the same week “Sandworms” debuted at #5). Then I came home and spent another two weeks on the road for “The Last Days of Krypton”. I had a pretty good year.

Q: It sounds like it! So in conclusion, what are your New Year’s resolutions for 2008?

Kevin: I’m still keeping busy writing and developing new projects, but I really want to rest and recuperate a little. I’d like to spend more time hiking and camping. But new things always come up…
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

People just don't know how hard Art is.

But Kevin does.

He's fucked Art every which way and loose.
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

8 novels published in 1 year, man some people don't have that many craps.:/
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

I wonder if he'd let me take a crack at writing a Saga of the Seven Suns book? :twisted:

God knows he's fucked enough universes to let me pull the panties off one of his.
Lisan Al-Gaib

Post by Lisan Al-Gaib »

People had extremely high expectations—but you also have to remember that a very large portion of the readership really hated Frank’s own sequels when they originally appeared. “Dune Messiah” was labeled the “disappointment of the year.” Many readers couldn’t finish “God-Emperor of Dune”, they complained about “Heretics of Dune”, then they complained about “Chapterhouse Dune”. Now all those novels are considered classics.
Once again, KJA is comparing itself with FH....What is the size of his ego?

Eight novels in one year...Is it only me seeing that as a prove of how he doesn't dedicate any serious time to make something that really worth?
The singular multiplicity of this universe draws my deepest attention. It is a thing of ultimate beauty.

-- The Stolen Journals

SandRider
Watermaster

526/2

Post by SandRider »

Lisan wrote:Is it only me seeing that as a prove of how he doesn't dedicate any serious time to make something that really worth?
That's why I highlighted that line in all that mess - Tolkien didn't publish that many books in his lifetime....
(not counting the academic stuff & the OED, bean counters ...)

I knew I had to post this somewhere after I read the first line:
As hard as it might be to believe, there are probably readers out there who have never picked up a Kevin J. Anderson novel...
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
Frybread

Post by Frybread »

inhuien wrote:8 novels published in 1 year, man some people don't have that many craps.:/
He's sure churns them out, doesn't he? It's like he has a handful of story templates that he tweaks for the particular universe in which he is writing.

But with eight books a year it's no wonder his shit reads like it hasn't been edited.
Frybread

Post by Frybread »

Lisan Al-Gaib wrote:
People had extremely high expectations—but you also have to remember that a very large portion of the readership really hated Frank’s own sequels when they originally appeared. “Dune Messiah” was labeled the “disappointment of the year.” Many readers couldn’t finish “God-Emperor of Dune”, they complained about “Heretics of Dune”, then they complained about “Chapterhouse Dune”. Now all those novels are considered classics.
Once again, KJA is comparing itself with FH....What is the size of his ego?

Eight novels in one year...Is it only me seeing that as a prove of how he doesn't dedicate any serious time to make something that really worth?
It's not surprising when you consider that Kevin is a narcissist. What I find funny is even on my first readings of both author's works I found FH"s stuff (even the weakest of his sequels) to be superior to anything Combover has done to date. Kevin's comparing his work to FH's is really quite pathetic, IMO.
Frybread

Re: For The Record

Post by Frybread »

SandRider wrote:I'm sure most of you have read this.
I think this, and materials like it, should be posted here, for the record, as a research source for whoever eventually writes the book about the OH movement.
http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/2 ... erson.html

Q: Your books have been published since the late 80s. As hard as it might be to believe, there are probably readers out there who have never picked up a Kevin J. Anderson novel, so where would you recommend starting and why?

Kevin: I think my best solo work is probably my Saga of Seven Suns series—seven volumes, and I just finished the last one. That series sums up everything I love about the science fiction genre.

Q: Arguably, the Star Wars tie-novels that you wrote in the mid-to-late 90s including the Jedi Academy trilogy and the Young Jedi Knights series with your wife Rebecca Moesta were partly responsible for your early success. What kind of experience was that playing in the Stars Wars universe and do you have any plans of writing another Star Wars tie-in novel?

Kevin: I had published seven of my own novels before I was offered the Star Wars gig. The very year my first Star Wars book hit the bestseller list was also the year I was nominated for the Nebula Award for an original novel (written with Doug Beason). As a fan, I loved being asked to work in Star Wars. I spent a lot of time up at Skywalker Ranch, I got to meet George Lucas a couple of times, and I had a blast working in that universe. Yes, it did bring my writing to millions of fans who had never heard of me before, and I’m very grateful. At present, it’s been so long since I’ve dipped into the very detailed SW extended universe, it would be very hard for me to pick up and do something new in it.

Q: That sounds pretty awesome :) So you’ve actually dabbled in many other established worlds as well including Dune, the X-Files, StarCraft, et cetera. What are the advantages and disadvantages of writings books in already established universes?

Kevin: What die-hard fan hasn’t made up his or her new adventures of a favorite show or movie? I always did. I always felt that I lived with those characters in my imagination anyway. (When I was in high school, I think I wrote about 70 of my own Star Trek stories.) I never stopped writing my own books, but I had a great time working in these great and popular universes

Q: Focusing on the Dune books that you’ve been co-authoring with Brian Herbert, “Sandworms of Dune” was just released last year which completed the duology that brought to life Frank Herbert’s planned seventh novel in the original Dune sequence. Browsing through reviews, the novel received sort of a mixed response. What are your thoughts on how the duology turned out, and the difficulties of living up to such high expectations?

Kevin: Brian and I have now written ten novels in the Dune universe, and they have been extremely well received, winning numerous awards and being selected as New York Times Notable book (absolutely unheard-of for a novel written in somebody else’s universe), many best-of-the-year lists, etc. For “Hunters of Dune” and “Sandworms of Dune” we were more constrained than in the previous books because we had to follow Frank Herbert’s detailed outline. A lot of the things people were complaining about were the things Frank left for us to do. But we had to write the books in the way he intended for the grand finale to unfold. People had extremely high expectations—but you also have to remember that a very large portion of the readership really hated Frank’s own sequels when they originally appeared. “Dune Messiah” was labeled the “disappointment of the year.” Many readers couldn’t finish “God-Emperor of Dune”, they complained about “Heretics of Dune”, then they complained about “Chapterhouse Dune”. Now all those novels are considered classics.

Q: Good point :) Now what can you tell us about the “Paul of Dune”, the rest of the next story arc, and any other plans that you & Brian have for the future of the Dune universe?

Kevin: “Paul of Dune” is the story set between “Dune” and “Dune Messiah”, the great Jihad that sweeps across the galaxy in the name of Muad’Dib, and how Paul Atreides gradually changes from hero to tyrant. We have other parts of that story we plan on telling, namely “Jessica of Dune” and “Irulan of Dune”. After that, we’re considering going back to the formation of the great Schools, but Brian and I have plans to do some books of our own first.

Q: Another title that you helped co-write was Dean Koontz’s “Frankenstein: Prodigal Son”, which was the first volume in a trilogy that should be completed later this year. How did you get involved in that project, what was it like working with Mr. Koontz, and how come you’re not involved with the rest of the trilogy?

Kevin: Dean has been my mentor for a long time, giving me excellent help and advice early in my career. When he wanted to create this new series (based on a script and TV series pilot he had written), he asked me to do the first book. He asked his friend Ed Gorman to work on the second book, and he’s doing the third one himself.

Q: Besides Brian Herbert, Rebecca Moesta and Dean Koontz, you’ve also collaborated with the aforementioned Doug Beason. What is it about teaming up with other writers/creators that you find so appealing and who else do you wish you could work with?

Kevin: I enjoy brainstorming with fellow writers, exchanging ideas, and learning from other writers’ techniques. To me, it’s a natural thing, almost like a game, to work with someone else to tell stories. You have to check your ego at the door, make sure you both have the same vision for the novel, and lean on each other.

Q: What about working with your wife Rebecca Moesta who is also a writer of speculative fiction among other things? How does such a relationship benefit you as an author?

Kevin: Since we’re around each other all the time, we are constantly brainstorming, and I’m always asking her opinion on stories, characters, plot twists. Rebecca’s main interest is in fiction for Young Adults, and by working together we can attract a whole new readership.

Q: Moving on, you also released a book last year called “The Last Days of Krypton” which “tells the spectacular story of Superman’s parents who are faced with the end of the world and the origin of a hero we all know.” As someone who’s written both comic books and novels, what are the advantages of telling this story in prose format ?

Kevin: I viewed this project from the outset as an epic science fiction novel. I developed the culture, the world, the characters, just as I did for “Seven Suns.” I have a lot of credits in the comic field, too, which gave me the right sensibility for this project, but this novel was a case where it was necessary to get inside the heads of the characters, flesh out their background, and add a lot more detail than would be possible in comics.

Q: Recently, you just announced HERE that you’re working on another novel set in the DC universe called “First Encounter” which relates the very first meeting between Superman and Batman. What exactly is your relationship with DC Comics/HarperEntertainment, what are the companies’ goals for these books, and how many more novels can we expect from you in the DC universe?

Kevin: I’ve known the people at DC for many, many years and I’ve worked with them on their comics projects. When I had the idea for the “Krypton” novel, I approached them directly, and after I had written my proposal, we shopped it around to publishers. Several of them bid, but HarperCollins made the best offer. They are very enthusiastic and I enjoy working with them, but my main contact is through DC directly. After they liked the “Krypton” novel so much, they came to me and asked about the Superman/Batman project, so of course I was interested. As for other projects, we’ll just have to figure out the right one. The objective here is to firmly establish a book presence for the DC Universe. “Last Days of Krypton” was a dream project for me, and I still consider it one of my best novels.

Q: As mentioned previously, you’ve also written comic books. What’s been your most memorable experience so far, what do you feel are the positives/negatives of writing comic books compared to prose fiction, and do you have any other projects in the works?

Kevin: I love writing comics (OK, so I’m sounding like a broken record…but I do really enjoy my work)—it uses a different part of my creativity, and there’s something very exciting about seeing the pencil sketches, seeing the specific images in my mind come to life from the talents of a great artist. My most impressive work in comics, I think, is my “Tales of the Jedi” epic for Star Wars, “Dark Lords of the Sith,” “The Sith War,” and “Redemption”—establishes some important background in the ancient Star Wars universe (including the introduction of the double-lightsaber, used so famously by Darth Maul in Episode I.) I’ve also done work with Predator, X-Files, Star Trek, JSA for DC, StarJammers for Marvel, an original humorous series “Grumpy Old Monsters” from IDW, and an original graphic novel in the “Seven Suns” universe for Wildstorm. I’ve got some ideas in development, but nothing actively in the works right now.

Q: Let’s talk about your original stories. Your most ambitious project is the epic seven-volume space opera series The Saga of Seven Suns which comes to its conclusion this July 2008 with “The Ashes of the World”. How does it feel that the project is finally coming to an end, were you able to accomplish everything you wanted to when you first started work on The Saga of Seven Suns, and will there be any spin-offs, sequels, prequels or whatnot?

Kevin: I spent eight years of my life developing and writing this series, and it has a cast of characters that would make Cecil B. deMille proud, with many dozens of overlapping storylines. I wanted to put all of the big ideas that I love in the SF genre, and I created a story with enough scope to carry it all. I chronicled a galactic war, telling the story from the perspective of several races, with characters from the great leaders of empires to powerless average people. I designed the story with a beginning, middle, and end, and Volume Seven does wrap up all the plotlines. I did create a big, fully-fleshed-out universe, so I’ve got room to tell other independent stories, maybe in a few years, but right now I’m very glad to bring it to its conclusion. Time to rest after seven 700-page manuscripts!

Q: On your blog you mentioned that you were brainstorming with Brian Herbert for an original new science fiction series that was similar in scope to Dune. What can you tell us about this idea, and any other writing projects that we haven’t covered yet?

Kevin: Brian and I have done ten novels in the Dune universe together and we obviously work well as collaborators. But with my own original novels, particularly the Seven Suns books, and Brian’s own Timeweb series, we don’t need to do only Dune novels. We are just now putting together an outline and proposal for the new series, but we’ll also continue to write other Dune novels.

Q: While you’ve had the pleasure of exploring many different universes like Star Wars and Dune which have crossed over into different formats, have you had any luck with getting your own original properties adapted for anything like film, television, comic books, videogames, et cetera, and if so, could you share any details?

Kevin: Some of my books have been optioned for films—“Ill Wind”, “Captain Nemo”, and “Ignition”—and I’ve gotten even more inquiries (but Hollywood is a lot of talk and no follow-through). So far, nothing in production. I’ve adapted my own X-Files novel “Ground Zero” as a graphic novel, and I’ve done a graphic novel prequel to the “Saga of Seven Suns” for Topps. I’m always open to the possibility—but you’ve got to get the right person with the right interest.

Q: What do you think of the cross-pollination today between different formats such as film, novels, comic books, television, et cetera? Is it getting to the point where it might become more advantageous for writers to have experience in more than one medium?

Kevin: I think it’s fascinating and opens many opportunities for getting crossover audiences. Videogames into novels, novels into comics, stories into serial podcasts, comics into games, fictional blogs written by characters from TV shows—it’s all a new set of opportunities for writers trying to make a living.

Q: You have a pretty impressive bibliography. After writing as long and as much as you have, what helps you through the dry spells, what still challenges you, and what do you want to accomplish still?

Kevin: I’ve published something like 95 novels and hundreds of short stories. The ideas keep coming, and I keep developing my craft, pushing the envelope of what I can do (for example, the giant continuous story that ran over seven large volumes in Saga of Seven Suns)—which gives me a skill set so that I can try even more ambitious projects. I am just about to start a nautical fantasy trilogy with sailing ships and sea monsters, which takes me in a different direction. I love to write, and I hope to keep doing it for a long, long time.

Q: Over the years, what have you learned as a writer from your experience in working in established universes, collaborating with other authors, your original projects, and writing in different formats? Is there anything else that you would like to improve upon as a writer?

Kevin: With each project I take on, I try to improve on what I’ve done before, either in complexity of plotting, intensity of the action scenes, the clarity of descriptions, deeper themes, or even just a project that will reach a completely different audience. I’ve learned a lot from my collaborators—Brian Herbert, Rebecca Moesta, and Doug Beason—and I apply it to my other novels.

Q: Because of your experience, what are your thoughts on the evolution of fantasy and science fiction (it’s acceptance in society/entertainment/media, productivity of original ideas, the different formats, publishing, etc.) and where do you see the genres’ going in the future?

Kevin: When I was a teenager, I was just the strange geek who read Sci Fi. Today, the biggest grossing films each year are science fiction, dozens of TV shows are SF, genre books regularly hit high on the bestseller lists. It’s become mainstream—and I’m thrilled about it. It’s good not to be the weirdo anymore!

Q: You’re one of the judges for L. Ron Hubbard’s Writers of the Future contest. What do you look for in a potential award-winning story, and are there any authors that maybe didn’t win in the past that you would recommend checking out?

Kevin: When I get the stories to judge, all of the names are removed, so I don’t know who the authors are. I can say that I have seen some terrific talent, and then when I help teach the workshop for prizewinners I get to meet them in person. Some of these winners have become extremely successful now and I’ve kept in touch. I particularly recommend Sean Williams, Patrick Rothfuss, and Steven Saville.

Q: Last year was tough for writers of speculative fiction. Several authors passed away including Robert Jordan, Madeline L’Engle, Lloyd Alexander, Leigh Eddings, Fred Saberhagen, Alice Borchardt, and Kurt Vonnegut Jr. while Terry Pratchett was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. Did any of this affect you and is there anything you would like to say?

Kevin: Don’t forget about Jack Williamson—I really admired him, and the SF field was good to him, always giving him standing ovations and making sure he knew how much we appreciated him. I used Jack as a main character in my JSA miniseries “Strange Adventures” as a young pulp SF writer in the 1940s covering the stories of the (real) superheroes. Jack himself read all those comics and he wrote me very heartwarming letters each time an issue hit the stands. I’ll miss him a lot.

But, as a general comment, science fiction has grown larger and has come of age, which means we have a lot more professional writers, and a lot of them are getting on in years. I’m afraid we’ll have a lot more sad years to come.

Q: Looking back on 2007, what would you say was the highlight of the year for you both professionally and personally?

Kevin: I had eight novels published last year, which was exhausting! And I had three consecutive book tours, which was even more exhausting. “Sandworms of Dune” sold better and faster than any of our previous nine Dune novels, and Brian and I spent several weeks on the road for that. Rebecca and I spent a month doing a signing tour in Australia and New Zealand, during which Seven Suns #6 “Metal Swarm” became the #1 bestselling science fiction novel on the continent (and in the same week “Sandworms” debuted at #5). Then I came home and spent another two weeks on the road for “The Last Days of Krypton”. I had a pretty good year.

Q: It sounds like it! So in conclusion, what are your New Year’s resolutions for 2008?

Kevin: I’m still keeping busy writing and developing new projects, but I really want to rest and recuperate a little. I’d like to spend more time hiking and camping. But new things always come up…
Hm. Kevin is not entirely honest in this interview, is he?

He says PoD is about the events that take place between Dune and DM. That is only half-true, since about 50 percent of the book takes place between House Corrino and Dune.

He says his novels have been well received, etc., yet didn't mention the poor reviews he and That Other Guy got for SoD.

He says he and That Other Guy followed FH's "detailed outline" for HoD and SoD, but did this outline include Omnius -- Kevin and That Other Guy's own creation from the Legends books?
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

I've never seen an interview with Hacky (or a pro-hack website, or promotional material, or whatever) where he doesn't mention the following:

1. The sheer quantity of what he has written;

2. The awards he barely has room to store (note also: no Hugo or Nebula);

3. How "well-received" his crap is.

He hits those notes, every single time. Especially when he's served up softball questions by gutless interviewers (who was this spineless cretin, anyway?).

This is the sign of not only an insufferable egomaniac, but also an incredibly fragile psyche. Hacky flat-out needs that fanboy validation. He needs to be assured, over and over again, that his preek drones still love him. It would qualify for pity if he wasn't such an incredible asshole.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Wow, this interview is a fucking goldmine into the insecurities of Kevin J. Anderson.
My dear gawd, the moron doesn't even realize how transparent he is.
Simply astounding :shock:
Kevin J Anderson wrote: Q: Your books have been published since the late 80s. As hard as it might be to believe, there are probably readers out there who have never picked up a Kevin J. Anderson novel, so where would you recommend starting and why?

Q: Arguably, the Star Wars tie-novels that you wrote in the mid-to-late 90s including the Jedi Academy trilogy and the Young Jedi Knights series with your wife Rebecca Moesta were partly responsible for your early success.

Kevin: I had published seven of my own novels before I was offered the Star Wars gig. The very year my first Star Wars book hit the bestseller list was also the year I was nominated for the Nebula Award for an original novel (written with Doug Beason)...

...Yes, it did bring my writing to millions of fans who had never heard of me before, and I’m very grateful.
Diagnosis: Subject is extremely resentful that his most notable achievements in life are not his own work. The Subjects finds it very distressing to have achieved a wide audience only at the charity of a franchise with a large existing fan base who the Subject knows have only the expectation of Star Wars books and no expectation of the authors. The subject will, at every opportunity, attempt to distance himself from the reality of what made and maintains his career. This cry for legitimacy runs very deep and is no doubt compelling the Subject to continue publishing of his own, far less successful books in the desperate hope of somehow making his own mark in science fiction.

Kevin: Brian and I have now written ten novels in the Dune universe, and they have been extremely well received, winning numerous awards and being selected as New York Times Notable book (absolutely unheard-of for a novel written in somebody else’s universe), many best-of-the-year lists, etc.
Diagnosis: We have established the Subject's personal dichotomy requires him to publicly accept how he gained his professional success while at the same time deny his own need for franchise exploitation novels to maintain that success. But should the Subject be challenged on his credibility, the Subject will fervently cling to the dubious peer recognition gained through the success of the very books he resents so deeply. These token recognitions act as a shield behind which the Subject can hide to avoid facing his fear of being pigeonholed as a franchise exploitation writer.

Diagnosis: The Subject lacks confident belief in the strength of his own creative writing and is largely co-dependent upon others. While the Subject maintains an authoritative and even humbly modest facade publicly, the true pathology of the subject is his indecision. The Subject requires feedback on nearly every creative choice and can only then chose a course of action. Thus, co-workers and collaborators act as the Subject's enablers and are external substitutes for the Subject's own lack of confidence and decision making ability.

Diagnosis: The Subject is unable to come to terms with the socially marginalized product upon which his professional life depends. This speaks volumes of the Subject's need for acceptance beyond the industry in which he has found success. The Subject wants society at large to accept him as a legitimate adult and professional in the mainstream, but cannot accept the fact that his tastes, such as science fiction, are still largely dismissed as low brow. The Subject feels like an awkward weirdo, no doubt due to experiences suffered in childhood and to a lesser degree in adult life. The Subject can sense the unspoken disdain for his line of work, but cannot face that fact. Worse still, the subject is keenly aware the vast majority of his fans are weirdos and while he accepts the financial/critical gains from those consumers, he again resents those responsible for his success.
Last edited by GamePlayer on 13 Nov 2008 13:26, edited 1 time in total.
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Well done, Dr. House! :)
SandRider
Watermaster

529/5

Post by SandRider »

Note to future OH Historian : this analysis should be included in its entirety.

and I'll give anybody with an active sockpuppet Over There
a dollar to post this ....
ImageImage

GamePlayer
70mm God

Re: 529/5

Post by GamePlayer »

SandRider wrote:Note to future OH Historian : this analysis should be included in its entirety.
TheDukester wrote:Well done, Dr. House! :)
Thank you both :)
Hugh Laurie for the role of Dr. Gordon Freeman! :wink:
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

What can i say? An "on the spot" flawless diagnosis. It should be set as official.
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Excellent, GP. :)

So...now it all makes sense.

Brian is participating (either actively or passively) in the fucking of his father's corpse because he secretly still hates him and wants to ruin his father's greatest work.

Kevin is doing it because he envies Frank Herbert's success and popularity and wants to destroy the legacy as well.

Sad.
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Lundse

Post by Lundse »

I concur with the diagnisis, but note the lack of any recommendations as to treatment....

May I humbly suggest going Cold Turkey from writing. Immediately!
For the love of God, put the dictaphone down before anyone else is hurt.

I am sure others can and will suggest more... permanent cures.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

You're assuming that treatment is the point :)
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

:lol: Solid gold.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Definitely struck a chord with this one. I'm going to mark this for inclusion in my "Best of" thread :)
Sole Man

on KJA's blasphamey

Post by Sole Man »

I wish I had a Joker smiley...
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Egads ... stumbling around during a Google search I find this little tidbit from Hacky, in response to a forums post:

"Ah, is that the old myth that "if you write quickly, you can't possibly be good"? I never allow a work to be published until I am convinced it is as polished as I can make it. My work has been nominated for the Nebula and Bram Stoker Awards; it's been named "New York Times Notable Book" of the year, been selected by the Science Fiction Book Club as the favorite novel of the year by the largest margin in the history of the award, and has won numerous other fan and reader awards. No, I don't think the quality has suffered.

Let me offer a different gauge. I may write quite a few books in a year, but I write ALL THE TIME, seven days a week, at least eight hours a day. I know many other authors who put in a couple of hours in the evenings and on weekends. They might produce a novel a year, while I publish six -- but I've actually spent more HOURS on each book than they did."

My God. What an infected asshole this man is. :roll: :roll: :roll:

But note it hit many of the high points of Kevin J. Anderson's List of Insecurities and Need for Validation:

* Massive output;

* List of awards (including nominations ... seriously, Kevin, you pathetic jackass, a guy like Robert Silverberg could fill entire notebooks with his list of nominations).

* How hard he "works" ... because, you know, he's like an artist. (BTW, does anyone else think the 56 hours per week Hacky claims to write is complete bullshit? Where's the time for editing, dealing with his agent, dealing with publishers, answering calls and emails, blackmailing the HLP, etc.?

* Need for superiority. Note the part I bolded ... Fucknuts is very much aware of the legitimate criticism he's gotten over the years. And here's a chance to fire back at the critics.

For full context, here's the site:
http://www.goldenagestories.com/beta/bb ... /index.php

The thread:
http://www.goldenagestories.com/beta/bb ... ight=#1874

And a list of all of Hacky's posts:
http://www.goldenagestories.com/beta/bb ... author=KJA

+++++

(Writers of the Future ... Scientology thing, right? That would explain the softball questions)
Lisan Al-Gaib

Post by Lisan Al-Gaib »

hahahaha, KJA is a funny guy! His need for validation is so ostensible!

You can see that he first answered the last question made to him. The exactly question we always punctuate here, about his work's quality!

Wisdom is something obviously KJA don't have. He could have answered all this questions in their right order, but he choose to answer the question about the quality first...so predictable....
The singular multiplicity of this universe draws my deepest attention. It is a thing of ultimate beauty.

-- The Stolen Journals

TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

I wonder if he's got that awards nonsense saved as a hot-key? Seriously, I think I've seen him mention those things in that exact order more than once.

I can just picture poor, pathetic Hacky: "I'll show them ... Shift-Command-F12!! Yeah, suck on those awards!"
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SandRider
Watermaster

551/27

Post by SandRider »

I never allow a work to be published until I am convinced it is as polished as I can make it. ~ Kevin
I'd say this is most likely a very true statement.
ImageImage