Defense of the New Books

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Defense of the New Books

Post by SandChigger »

Gotcha! :lol:

(The object of my recent campaign of "I'm coming for ya in Dayton, Kevin!" was simply to, hopefully, cause Number One Hack some slight degree of buttcrack moistness, but I was a little concerned that someone physically similar but totally unrelated might show up and be mistaken for me. :shock: )
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Simon

Post by Simon »

He didn't look like he was sweating it with his Stormtrooper bodyguards :P

It was actually quite cool, I was happy to see so many excited Dune fans.
I found it to be a great visual demonstration of what a diverse crowd the series draws. There was everything from teens to really old folks there.

One guy was so over the top, when I walked in he was buying at least 15 KJA books for the signing, Dune to SotSS to Crystal Doors. He and his wife were really jazzed to see KJA (apparently they'd come out last time he'd been through).

(And the Sandgummi worms were delicious!!! DAMN COLLECTABILITY! Feed the stomach!!)
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I was curious about whether there would be security. (Was there?)

Anyone who would go to a book signing featuring only The Hack is a "Dune" fan, Simon. In quotes. Meaning pseudo-Dune or quasi-Dune. Please don't mistake it for the REAL thing. Because it isn't. And you aren't.

Discussing Dune with you would be like discussing fine wine or sake with ole beer-guzzling "Six-pack Joe". What possible insight can you have?

Stick to drawing.
Simon

Post by Simon »

:lol: There were more "Dune" fans at one measly Dayton book signing than avowed OHers total.

Much luck to you in your terribly up hill battle. (especially when guys like Mr.15books are out there :P )
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Oh, you have such stats, do you?

(What does "OHer" stand for again? "Orthodox Herbertarianer"? That makes sense. :roll: )

Much luck to you as well, with your "up hill" struggle with our language. :lol:
Simon

Post by Simon »

::yawn:: :roll:
orald

Post by orald »

We should be ever so concerned that the number of idiots(i.e KJA asskissers) outnumber those with good sense. :roll:

After all, we see how many SW and ST fans are out there, and we know how good those franchizes are. :wink:
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Simon wrote::lol: There were more "Dune" fans at one measly Dayton book signing than avowed OHers total.

Much luck to you in your terribly up hill battle. (especially when guys like Mr.15books are out there :P )
All that proves is the fact that middle America has got an even higher proportion of idiots than the rest of the world gives it credit for.

No wonder the world is in such a mess. Lipstick Bulldog Woman would be a preek, without doubt. Abraham Lincoln would be a fan of The Six only.

Please don't confuse quantity over quality. That is the hallmark of the man with a tiny cock.

"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
orald

Post by orald »

I think a picture of hundreds of flies over a piece of dung would be more to the point. :lol:

Like they say jokingly here, "A million flies aren't wrong".
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Simon wrote::lol: There were more "Dune" fans at one measly Dayton book signing than avowed OHers total.

A greater endorsement for the celebration of mediocrity I've never read :)

If anyone is still frequenting DN, I'd save this post by simon for the next time Byron posts his "We're keeping Frank's vision alive" argument. Simon's post proves the HLP's continued publications are achieving nothing of the sort and that their new-Dune fans are actually reveling in the demise of Frank Herbert's seminal work.

I weep for humanity. chanilover is more right than he knows.
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Simon wrote:There were more "Dune" fans at one measly Dayton book signing than avowed OHers total.
Three important notes, half-wit:

1. That ass-grab festival you attended? That had nothing whatsoever to do with Dune. The alleged "author" you all wasted your time with is a writer of very poor fanfic.

2. Without the Herbert name and the gigantic, 100-point "DUNE" on the cover, that POS would sell at one-twentieth the rate it's selling now. You know it, I know it, and that fucking hack you adore knows it. Without those elements, that signing would have been attended by you, your man-love hero, and maybe three other people.

3. M.C. Hammer sold about 3 billion CDs in the early 1990s ... but quantity does not equal quality. Never has, never will.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SimonH

Post by SimonH »

i think if you compared the number of people who bought FH's books to the new books the numbers would be in our favour... I don't think anyone knows how many OHs or preeqs there are. You don't have to be a member of Jacurutu to be an OH...

what was the age of the people at this signing? was it weighted towards the 'teens?

Finally, where are the critical reviews of this book? Where are the awards? Does any serious readers care about these books anymore??
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Since Byron apparently hasn't the gumption to post any links, maybe we should ask Kevin directly.

I still have his email address at home. I'll send a message when I get back tonight.
KJA in his blawg wrote:So far, *every single* professional review of the novel has been a rave review.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

TheDukester wrote:
Simon wrote:There were more "Dune" fans at one measly Dayton book signing than avowed OHers total.
Three important notes, half-wit:...

...3. M.C. Hammer sold about 3 billion CDs in the early 1990s ... but quantity does not equal quality. Never has, never will.
To re-enforce this point. IIRC a certain Mr. Vincent Van Gogh sold all of one painting while he was alive (I know he'd bemoan that he was only existing), does that mean he was in fact a shite artist? Speaking of shite, my wee boy shifts a ton of the stuff, should I be framing it?
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

My dad has made a life long living selling paintings, I think he's better than Van Gogh, but he's a realist and I don't appreciate impressionism very much.

http://www.neworleans.com/kendrickiii/
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SimonH

Post by SimonH »

Freakzilla wrote:My dad has made a life long living selling paintings, I think he's better than Van Gogh, but he's a realist and I don't appreciate impressionism very much.

quite a skill he has. great colour, perspective etc.

you got any arty skills Freak?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SimonH wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:My dad has made a life long living selling paintings, I think he's better than Van Gogh, but he's a realist and I don't appreciate impressionism very much.

quite a skill he has. great colour, perspective etc.

you got any arty skills Freak?
I can draw (any medium) and paint in oils and acrylic but I haven't in a long time. I'd say I have talent, just not much creativity. I've always had a problem finding inspiration in my subjects.

Leaving oil paints lying around little kids would be like, well... setting them up to explode on contact with a trip wire.

I spent a day this last weekend cleaning out the bonus room in my basement and uncovered my easel, it's a nice wooden one from Grumbacher and I felt a little inspired.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Simon

Post by Simon »

TheDukester wrote:
Three important notes, half-wit:

1. That ass-grab festival you attended? That had nothing whatsoever to do with Dune. The alleged "author" you all wasted your time with is a writer of very poor fanfic.

2. Without the Herbert name and the gigantic, 100-point "DUNE" on the cover, that POS would sell at one-twentieth the rate it's selling now. You know it, I know it, and that fucking hack you adore knows it. Without those elements, that signing would have been attended by you, your man-love hero, and maybe three other people.

3. M.C. Hammer sold about 3 billion CDs in the early 1990s ... but quantity does not equal quality. Never has, never will.
I wasn't debating quality. In fact, in this instance we are talking quantity.

Fan numbers. Not the science of those numbers but the numbers alone.
Don't cry Dukester, it's not a slight against the OH cause, I was just saying. I saw more people in Dayton showing support than there are hardcore OH posters, and a number of them bought quite a few books, one of them more than his frail arms could carry. HA-HA! :lol:

What this tells me? That you guys are all balls when your posting anonymously behind a keyboard but not one of you has the "conviction" when it comes to real world face to face debate. I would have thought that Sandchigger might be the exception, but no.

Sandchigger, rather then show up at the Dayton signing and talking with people like and adult, chooses to try and play little games via blog boards.
Meanwhile not one disgruntled FH fan put in an appearance at the signing to represent you gentlemen or your position. You'll have to forgive me if I'm not impressed by the "greater convictions".

Talk about irrelevant. :roll:

Oh and as for your "Hammer" analogy my full-witted amigo, he lasted like what? Two- three years? BH and KJA have been doing their thing successfully for a decade thus far, and will continue to do so for three more books at least.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Wow, that is talent. Is your Dad self taught or did he go to a school?
(You should post some of your paintings too, I'd like to see them. :) )
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Simon wrote: Fan numbers. Not the science of those numbers but the numbers alone.
Don't cry Dukester, it's not a slight against the OH cause, I was just saying. I saw more people in Dayton showing support than there are hardcore OH posters, and a number of them bought quite a few books, one of them more than his frail arms could carry. HA-HA! :lol:

What this tells me? That you guys are all balls when your posting anonymously behind a keyboard but not one of you has the "conviction" when it comes to real world face to face debate. I would have thought that Sandchigger might be the exception, but no.
Are these book signings billed as a forum for debate? The one book signing I've been to at Dragon-Con had a security guard standing behind KJA to move people along (maybe he was expecting me?).
I asked him to print "The Outline" and more notes. Besides, I had my son with me and didn't want him to see me cause a sceen.

Next year I'll be more organized and plan on going to the panels and try to ask the pointed questions. (You got that KJA? You have less than a year to actually read the series. I suggest you memorize it.)

Your "authors" don't even have the balls to answer to FH's fans online!

I've said for years, I'll face both of them in a Dune trivia contest. They know jack shit about Dune, as is obvious from their "writting".
BH and KJA have been doing their thing successfully for a decade thus far, and will continue to do so for three more books at least.
Truley a depressing thought.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Simon wrote:

Thanks. He's painted all of his life but he studied Art & Architecture at the University of Southwestern Louisiana with a minor in History.
~Pink Snowman
Simon

Post by Simon »

Freakzilla wrote:
Simon wrote: Fan numbers. Not the science of those numbers but the numbers alone.

Are these book signings billed as a forum for debate? The one book signing I've been to at Dragon-Con had a security guard standing behind KJA to move people along (maybe he was expecting me?).
I asked him to print "The Outline" and more notes. Besides, I had my son with me and didn't want him to see me cause a sceen.

Next year I'll be more organized and plan on going to the panels and try to ask the pointed questions. (You got that KJA? You have less than a year to actually read the series. I suggest you memorize it.)

Your "authors" don't even have the balls to answer to FH's fans online!

I've said for years, I'll face both of them in a Dune trivia contest. They know jack shit about Dune, as is obvious from their "writting".
BH and KJA have been doing their thing successfully for a decade thus far, and will continue to do so for three more books at least.
Truley a depressing thought.
I wish they'd come to mingle with everyone online every now and again, but when the talks turn into insult-festivals it tends to turn one off.

If you do end up throwing more hardball questions at KJA, I agree, he should prepare himself. Your knowledge of classic Dune is unmatched from what I've seen. In fact, I've wondered many times why no one has ever approached you as a fact check/continuity aid. I'm sure it'd be a service you'd render free of charge judging from your enthusiasm for FH's works.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Freakzilla wrote:
Simon wrote:

Thanks. He's painted all of his life but he studied Art & Architecture at the University of Southwestern Louisiana with a minor in History.
Very cool. I'm a history buff myself (in interest, I'm not claiming expertise or anything). Are landscapes/scenes his main thing or does he do other stuff for himself? I personally have alternating styles, like what I do for the fan comic is "me" but when I do projects for others I'll tailor certain elements based on an individual jobs needs. I ask because the paintings on his page seem geared towards a certain market, and I'd suspect a man of your Father's skill probably has done stuff for his own enjoyment with no intention of selling it.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Edited.

Simon, you rock.
Last edited by TheDukester on 22 Oct 2008 17:03, edited 1 time in total.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Simon

Post by Simon »

:lol:

"I don't like what I'm hearing" = Name Calling

Science! :P
Last edited by Simon on 20 Oct 2008 17:06, edited 1 time in total.