A new low, even for Kevin J. Anderson

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

TheDukester

A new low, even for Kevin J. Anderson

Post by TheDukester »

Okay, I'm kinda stepping on Chigger's gig here, so I'll zip through this to get to the good part.

First, here's KJA's latest opus for all the mouth-breathers:

http://www.dunenovels.com/blog/page061.html

It's pure comedy, as usual. Many of the classic KJA bases are covered (boring-ass travelogue, name-dropping, everyone's schedule getting messed up because a 60-year-old man-child refuses to fly, etc.), but I'll let Chigger deconstruct it as only he can. The most ridiculous part comes near the end:

"Also, Library Journal has just given PAUL OF DUNE a starred review. So far, *every single* professional review of the novel has been a rave review."

Really, asshole? Every single one?!?! That's teh aw3s0mZZ!

Oh, wait ... other than Library Journal (not a real review) and Book List (a known shill factory), where, exactly, can we find all these "rave" reviews? Because here's the funny thing: I've searched high and low, and I haven't found a single one, "rave" or otherwise. It's almost like your ridiculous, unnecessary book is being ... ignored. :)

So Kevvie, Byron, Simon, any other preek drones, anyone at the HLP, or, fuck it, anyone: I pretty much defy you to back up this jerk-off's words with some actual proof. Show me where these "professional" and "rave" reviews are.

I'll even start you off with a hint: they are not at any of the following places:

New York Times
Los Angeles Times
Washington Post
USA Today
Miami Herald
Detroit Free Press

I could go on, but I think you get the idea.

I await all of these links with much anticipation. :)
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Funny, I just posted my September omnibus wrap-up! :lol:

Here's the relevant bit:

Friday, September 26, 2008 - Continuing the Bore

Oh, whoops! That should be “Tour”, not “Bore”. Silly me, my bad!

But more accurate, of course.

Here’s some interesting stuff, for a change:
Yesterday we headed south to LA. Rebecca and I caught a quick flight to LA, while Brian and Jan intended to take the train . . . Unfortunately, at 8:50 AM the train was already three hours late, which would have gotten him into his hotel room well after midnight; instead, Brian just rented a car and drove for six hours.
Yes, life is often difficult FOR THE MENTALLY ILL.
Meanwhile, Rebecca and I had a very pleasant lunch with John Harrison the writer and director of the Sci-Fi Channel DUNE miniseries
John Harrison, whose name has been mentioned in connection with the new Peter Berg movie as well, I believe? Kevin doesn’t say they discussed anything about the movie, but you have to wonder. Another example of how Brian uses his “disability” to put Kevin into the spotlight?
And yesterday we learned that PAUL OF DUNE has hit the New York Times bestseller list — that’s all nine of our novels so far.
BFD, shithead. Pity we can’t peek and see how badly YOUR books sold in those alternate universes where you didn’t get to put “Dune” and “Brian Herbert” and “Based on … by Frank Herbert” on the covers, no?
Keep reading
Keep “writing”, hack.

I don't know what "professional" reviews he's referring to, either.

Maybe all those glowing ones he reads in his head? :roll:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

(I can imagine the explanation by Byron now: "My uncle isn't mentally ill! He's just...differently minded."

:shock:

EVEN HIS OWN FATHER ADVISED HIM TO SEEK HELP!!! :lol: )
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Wait a minute: I am definitely NOT seeing PoD on the New York Times list:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/28/books ... ction.html

That's hardcover fiction, with 35 books listed, and it's NOT there. It wasn't on the 9/21/08 list, either.

Christsakes, are Kevin the Comb-Over and the HLP just reduced to flat-out lying now?
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

It might not be on the official list yet, maybe he's got advanced warning that its on next weeks. took a while, didn't the others start there? will it last there more than a week?

:lol: its possible it was going to make it on then it got knocked off by another new book that just came out.

I noticed that there were a few other sci-fi books on that list, even a Star Wars EU novel. I guess Dune just doesn't rate against even that anymore.

Awwww.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

That would be about the only thing that makes sense. The list I linked to will appear in this Sunday's paper, making it the 9/28/08 list. So, if your idea plays out, then someone has actually slipped Kevvie a look at the 10/5/08 list. A little insider trading there ...

And, yes, I fully agree that the most interesting statistic will be how long it can remain on the list. If I was an HLP drone, I wouldn't get too excited. This book, in all honesty, does not seem to have nearly the buzz that Sandworms did.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

it also has that "its shit and won't get a major review" thing going for it. I give it 1 week on the list if it hasn't been bumped already.

Not sure how this operates, but wouldn't they send out copies to be reviewed? Seems like maybe they decided not to after how Hunters got it's due from the NYT.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

TheDukester wrote:That would be about the only thing that makes sense. The list I linked to will appear in this Sunday's paper, making it the 9/28/08 list. So, if your idea plays out, then someone has actually slipped Kevvie a look at the 10/5/08 list. A little insider trading there ...
Yeah - that's what's happened..

The 05-10-08 list is here http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/05/books ... ction.html

PoD is at number 11.

Providing a link to that was easy enough.. now how about these rave reviews?
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

The lists for the next few weeks are usually online as soon as the data is compiled; you can find them by playing with the date numbers in the URL.

So...PoD is debuting at Number 11?

Not EVEN in the Top 10! :lol:

You WON'T hear them crowing about that, I bet. Only that it made the bestsellers list. :roll:
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Damnit, I went backward with the URL, but not forward. Duh.

Okay, it's on the list ... but, as mentioned, let's see if it's just a one- or two-week visit. I'm still convinced that Sandworms had much bigger buzz and fanboy excitement.
Sole Man

on the NYT bestseller list

Post by Sole Man »

Hmmm...THE HOST by Stepnie Meyer is #6 on that list...
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Sadworms debuted at #3 or #4, I believe, and sank from there.

#11...A-HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Check out this vid on amazon, talk about being totally ucking clueless and oh I'm goint to stick it to my old man now he's dead!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/mpd/permalink/m6OCK4JRJDWBK

Notice how they overlay their shit on Frank's books and Kevin's comments, Frank's six and our ten books can be daunting, Piul of Dune is a good place to start. Fucking egomaniac.

Rob
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

I stopped listening at about 13 seconds when Brian Herbert actually says it's a "character study."

Character study. Uh-huh. Whatever. Keep telling yourself that, jackass ... with enough repetition, you just might start to believe it.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I love how the main point they claim Paul of Dune is about is his 'shift' in character. That shift happens in Dune. I don't even really see it as a character shift. He just awakens to knowing he has to do certain things to survive.

Anyway my point is that they never have Paul shift in the book. There is literally one paragraph about his shift in character. He isn't dark either. He's a moron. Does that count as a shift?

Why do they call Shaddam corrupt? Why? Where did it ever say he was corrupt?

"He can see through his prescience" Nice, in Paul of Dune he gets one foggy vision. One. He doesn't even realize its significance until after its too late.

Idiots

"we know you will be reading it in detail" (we just don't care about details) "we're big fans ourselves" (of your money)
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Yeah, the part about the "corrupt, evil empire" bothered me, too.

Do we need any further proof that Kevin thinks of everything as Star Wars? :roll:
dunaddict

Post by dunaddict »

I think this is funny:
KJA: Sometimes if you look at our ten books and Frank Herberts six books, it might be intimidating where to start.
Yeah, who's fault is that? It used to be simple. Just read books 1-6.
Inserting PoD makes things even more complicated...
TheDukester

Re: A new low, even for Kevin J. Anderson

Post by TheDukester »

TheDukester wrote:So Kevvie, Byron, Simon, any other preek drones, anyone at the HLP, or, fuck it, anyone: I pretty much defy you to back up this jerk-off's words with some actual proof. Show me where these "professional" and "rave" reviews are.
Still waiting ...

I wonder which I'll see first: a preek providing a link to a "rave professional review" (Kevvie's own words) or Simon retracting that bullshit he posted over at the shithole.

Actually, I'm wondering if I'll ever see either one ... :roll:
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Hi, Byron! Nice to see you signed on this morning! :)

One link. That's all I ask. One link to a "rave" review from a "professional." Just one.

Yeah, I thought so ...
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

You mean he was actually here? :shock:

Didn't see no new posts in the beer thread...whatever could he have been doing? :roll:
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Yes, he was here. In all seriousness, I was sort of holding my breath ... I figured he had found a link to a "rave" review and was about to blow me right out of the water.

But no. :)

Just lurking around, I guess. Maybe he got a PM notification or something.
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

TheDukester wrote:Yes, he was here. In all seriousness, I was sort of holding my breath ... I figured he had found a link to a "rave" review and was about to blow me right out of the water.

But no. :)

Just lurking around, I guess. Maybe he got a PM notification or something.
I hope it's the one from Lundse from a while back...

But i think he was just hunting for some banning stuff... :roll:
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Probably had a couple new people sign up for DN, and was searching for any mention of it here. :twisted: Oh no! More Sockpuppets! Ban them now Byron before they become OH'ers!
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Ampoliros wrote:Probably had a couple new people sign up for DN, and was searching for any mention of it here. :twisted: Oh no! More Sockpuppets! Ban them now Byron before they become OH'ers!
Yeah Byron...You've got about 5 minutes... :twisted:
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

PoD is already down on the "also selling" list on the New York Times list. :)

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/12/books ... ref=slogin

What, are there fewer 12-year-olds and brain-dead KJA disciples in the world now?

No matter the reason(s), it couldn't happen to a nicer group of assholes.