Anyone seeing any reviews?

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

TheDukester

Anyone seeing any reviews?

Post by TheDukester »

I've been checking every two or three days, but I've yet to see any mainstream reviews appear from traditional sources (New York Times, Los Angeles Times, Washington Post, etc.). Amazon doesn't count, of course, since it's been proven beyond a doubt that they do nothing at all about shill reviews from KJA drones who haven't even read the books.

The closest I've come so far has been some fan reviews. This one is great: 4 out of 10 rating and some interesting commentary:

http://www.graemesfantasybookreview.com ... vin-j.html

Has anyone here seen anything more mainstream yet? Anything in your local newspaper?
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I don't think the NYT even bothered to do a review of Sadworms, did they?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

I thought they did ... but it could be that I'm thinking of Hunters. I thought it was one of their "in brief" reviews, not a bigger review with a headline, byline, etc.

I'll see if I can find anything.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Secher_Nbiw

Re: Anyone seeing any reviews?

Post by Secher_Nbiw »

TheDukester wrote:I've been checking every two or three days, but I've yet to see any mainstream reviews appear from traditional sources (New York Times, Los Angeles Times, Washington Post, etc.). Amazon doesn't count, of course, since it's been proven beyond a doubt that they do nothing at all about shill reviews from KJA drones who haven't even read the books.

The closest I've come so far has been some fan reviews. This one is great: 4 out of 10 rating and some interesting commentary:

http://www.graemesfantasybookreview.com ... vin-j.html

Has anyone here seen anything more mainstream yet? Anything in your local newspaper?
"Jenny said...

I thought this series was amazing. and I cannot wait to get ahold of this book. These guys who are writing it are really talented. and I mean the last book in that series was amazing."

hmm, can anyone say HLP corporate shill?

"Sean J. Jordan said...

I'm personally sick of all the grave-robbing that's been going on here. It would have been a much greater service to fans to simply publish Frank Herbert's notes (as Christopher Tolkien did with his father's) and let the readers form their own opinions. There's nothing like adding on to an iconic body of work with a bunch of pulpy, junky books. (Incidentally, the same thing's about to happen to the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy -- Eoin Colfer is writing a sequel.)

I wouldn't have minded a new series of original television shows, or another video game, or even a comic book series, because then I'd be able to look at those and say, "this isn't as good as the original books." But by creating a series of books that are meant to be read with the original series, BH and KJA (as well as their shameless publisher) created a conflict for fans who want to read the "whole story."

Most of these books are ill-conceived, but "Paul of Dune" sounds like the worst of the bunch. Why can't these guys leave some mystery and imagination in this series? It's far more fun wondering what happened than having it spelled out for you by a pair of writers who can't match the quality of the original work"

This on the other hand, sounds more like it
I am a mortal god.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Itzkoff at NYT reviewed Hunters (Dune Babies) but did not bother with Sandworms. VanderMeer at Washington Post did neither.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Yeah, it was the "Dune Babies" article I was remembering. I was actually a subscriber back then, so that's probably why I remembered it.

I just re-read it; it was nice to see that he slammed The Hack and The Guy Who Looks at Butterflies In His Backyard for pretty much not adding anything at all to the Dune legacy.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I noticed earlier that Kevin has posted a new blawg on MySpace; mostly tour shit, but he did mention a glowing professional (emphasis HIS) review from Library Journal.

I'm sorry, but they've praised most of the shit these two have squatted out, and are therefore highly suspect in my opinion.

(Can we say "industry shills"? I think they were the same ones quoted on the Sadworms page.)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Tyrant

Post by Tyrant »

i think its funny how most of the reviews on the book itself are reviews for the original dune
Your friendly neighborhood Tyrant!!!
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Yeah, "Dune Babies" was a good article. Definitely toned down from our own criticisms (which, granted, have been amplified in response to increasing transgressions of the HLP and company), but the articles message to KJA and BH is clear: stop writing lousy Dune novels :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Lisan Al-Gaib

Post by Lisan Al-Gaib »

Here is the "Dune babies" review:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.h ... A9609C8B63

I read you people saying about that review, so I had to search for it, and I find it very nice. This Itzkoff made review that could be spread over every little corner of Internet were a preeks could live. He touch in the deep points without being disrespectful. Great.
The singular multiplicity of this universe draws my deepest attention. It is a thing of ultimate beauty.

-- The Stolen Journals

TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Byron desperately looking for some validation in a Library Journal blurb:

http://www.dunenovels.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2775

*snicker*

Little hint for you, Byron: that's not a review. It's a solicitation. It's just a blurb, probably provided by the publisher, that was written without ever cracking the spine on PoD. I'm pretty sure you know this ... you're really getting desperate over there, huh? :wink:
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

TheDukester wrote:Byron desperately looking for some validation in a Library Journal blurb:

*snicker*

Little hint for you, Byron: that's not a review. It's a solicitation. It's just a blurb, probably provided by the publisher, that was written without ever cracking the spine on PoD. I'm pretty sure you know this ... you're really getting desperate over there, huh? :wink:
:twisted: What else can he do? I mean REALLY?

NOBODY else defends this book on DNBBS...

Well...maybe Simon... :wink:
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Rakis wrote:
TheDukester wrote:Byron desperately looking for some validation in a Library Journal blurb:

*snicker*

I don't think that even Simon will be able to finish this pile. I have no motivation to read any further (but I will :twisted: )
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Nekhrun wrote:
Rakis wrote:

*snicker*

I don't think that even Simon will be able to finish this pile. I have no motivation to read any further (but I will :twisted: )
Holy Shit, I take it back. I just saw on DN that Simon loved this book. Now I know he's insane. This book sucks ass!
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

*snicker*

Can you copy and paste what was said here? I'm a little curious to read it :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Nekhrun wrote:Holy Shit, I take it back. I just saw on DN that Simon loved this book.
Hey, he's got to score brownie points with Byron (the first responder to his review, BTW). :roll: :roll: :roll:

Pretty weak stuff overall. But I do enjoy how the preeks always say "ties up loose ends" ... it just never fails to amuse me.

Uh, idiots? Here's a hint for you: it's non-canon fanfic. It can't tie anything up. Only Frank Herbert can do that.

Fucking morons.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Is it correct that Simon's review was deleted here? If so, was there a specific reason for it? Not that I give a damn about Simon or his review, I have read it of dumbnovels and it is quite the KJA butt-fuck again, as usual, but I just wonder why his review isn't allowed here ( if that is true of course ).
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

:shock: I didn't know Byron was an admin here...
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

I don't remember seeing it here, either ...

I lurked on over to DN and read it there. Yawn.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I didn't delete it.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Why, is he/someone else saying that it was? Seems a bit weird.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

It was never posted.

Simon, I see you are signed on right now ... any comments? That's a pretty serious statement you made over there at www.SuckUpToKJA.com
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

... and he's gone. :lol:

It was never posted here, Simon. Get a fucking grip.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Freakzilla wrote:I didn't delete it.
Thank you.

What else is there to say about this behaviour by young Simon but: tsk!
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Simon

Post by Simon »

Gentlemen,

I like the new books. I've made no secret of this. I am a HUGE fan of all things Dune and have been since long before I met Byron or any of you.

I suspected I would like PoD even before I read it, no surprise, I liked all their other books.

Are the books perfect? No. Not at all.

Do I see what you see? Yes. But I'm not going to go on the War Path.

In fact I'm "officially" bored with this online ragging stuff. You guys want to continue with this bitchfest, fine, have at it.

Me, I'm going to stick with posting my fan art and trying to be a positive addition to the online fan community.

OH, and for the record, PAUL OF DUNE was the best NuDune yet! 8)