Save the Amazon reviews here.

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

They have already changed it so that position is determined by users who click on "this review helped me." She is down into the triple digits now on the Top Reviewer scale.

GP, she is a fracking joke. From what I can tell all of her reviews are the result of reading the back blurb, then turning to the pages around the end of the first act of whatever book she is "reading." She gets stuff wrong all the time, and probably knows nothing about the books she has "read." Personally it offends me that her reviews are up there. She is a pretender to literacy and she does more damage than good.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Nothing I read about Amazon.com surprises me anymore. Ole Harriet is just another example that affirms my well-deserved damning of their product reviews. When Amazon.com first came online they were my go-to-website for product reviews that were insightful and filled with genuine personal consumer experiences. But for years now they've dived head long into corporate capitulation and compliance. Their only saving grace was that I never purchased something from a shill review of theirs and was lucky enough to catch onto their scam. But failing to fool me doesn't win them any points and only infuriates me for the attempted deception.
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

And don't forget that "Harriet" is likely more than one person, too. "She" is a review syndicate, according to some (which I happen to believe, too).
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Has anyone ever emailed her? She has her own website http://harrietklausner.wwwi.com/ :)

Wow.. she's been doing this for several years. Found The Harriet Klausner Appreciation blog, lol. It's a joke, thank gawd. http://harriet-rules.blogspot.com/
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

About what?

"Would you please tell the court, Harriet Klausner, in your own words, whether or not you are indeed a stooly for the publishing industry?"

:)
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

I dunno, just to see if she/it responds.

The comments on this blog go back to 2003 and people are still commenting, lol http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/000112.html I read almost all the comments.. apparently 2 sci fi authors, one of them Alistair Reynolds (can't remember the other one) have mentioned her in their books and she failed to comment on that in her reviews. I think they were testing her!
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

LOL :) That's sneaky. Good on them.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Mandy wrote:Has anyone ever emailed her? She has her own website http://harrietklausner.wwwi.com/ :)
You mean like this?

To: harrietklausner @ worldnet.att.net
Date: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:23:13 PM JST
Subject: Hunters of Dune review

Hi. I just read your review after seeing it linked to in a message to alt.fan.dune and have one question:

Did you read the book?

(Case in point: it's Sheeana, not Murbella, that is on the no-ship.)

And her reply:

Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 16:04:10 +0000
Subject: Re: Hunters of Dune review
To: sandchigger @ mac.com

I am sorry. I always get names mixed up. I read the book remember the story but old age creeps in and sometimes I put the wrong character doing what another character does

-Harriet.

That said, she has felt no need to check or correct the details. From her review of Hunters (note the URL: http://harrietklausner.wwwi.com/review/ ... e_anderson) on her website:
Fleeing CHAPTERHOUSE and the deadly Honored Matres, the darker side of the all female Bene Geserit, the vessel Ithaca sails into uncharted regions of the galaxy with a crew and led by Mother Commander Murabella and 150 mostly frightened exiles. At any point on this dangerous trek, the Mother Commander and her former love slave Duncan know that the known enemy could overtake them with death being the better option. Worse would be if the unknown invincible foe of who has the Honored Matres on the run catches up with the Ithaca. However, as the trek to safety continues Murabella finds some of her passengers have other plans for her and those accompanying her. She must unmask the enemy from within who has caused havoc with violence and murder on board.

At the same time, Murabella and company struggle to survive by using genetics to bring back long dead heroes, the Omnuis of the Synchronized Empire has managed to gain access to the Honored Matres from the inside; they plan to devastate the powerful sect. Also the Face Dancer plans to end man’s reign with a race of machines taking over as the acme of sentient beings. Finally the unknown enemy intends to destroy everyone and everything. The galaxy is teetering on the eve of destruction.

Though somewhat overblown, the first Dune novel in two decades is a fun entry that fans of the series will appreciate as the galaxy is in trouble from conflicting factions. The story line is action-packed though somewhat complex and hard to follow as the galaxy is crowded with contenders. Still this is a fine entry that adds to the mythos while paying tribute to its tribute to its founding father as the scientific techno concerns involving genetic engineering that Frank Herbert voiced years ago seems so valid now.
:roll:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

Fleeing CHAPTERHOUSE and the deadly Honored Matres, the darker side of the all female Bene Geserit, the vessel Ithaca sails into uncharted regions of the galaxy with a crew and led by Mother Commander Murabella and 150 mostly frightened exiles. At any point on this dangerous trek, the Mother Commander and her former love slave Duncan know that the known enemy could overtake them with death being the better option. Worse would be if the unknown invincible foe of who has the Honored Matres on the run catches up with the Ithaca. However, as the trek to safety continues Murabella finds some of her passengers have other plans for her and those accompanying her. She must unmask the enemy from within who has caused havoc with violence and murder on board.

At the same time, Murabella and company struggle to survive by using genetics to bring back long dead heroes, the Omnuis of the Synchronized Empire has managed to gain access to the Honored Matres from the inside; they plan to devastate the powerful sect. Also the Face Dancer plans to end man’s reign with a race of machines taking over as the acme of sentient beings. Finally the unknown enemy intends to destroy everyone and everything. The galaxy is teetering on the eve of destruction.

Though somewhat overblown, the first Dune novel in two decades is a fun entry that fans of the series will appreciate as the galaxy is in trouble from conflicting factions. The story line is action-packed though somewhat complex and hard to follow as the galaxy is crowded with contenders. Still this is a fine entry that adds to the mythos while paying tribute to its tribute to its founding father as the scientific techno concerns involving genetic engineering that Frank Herbert voiced years ago seems so valid now.
The part I emphasized is enough to show that she didn't read the damned book... And Duncan being Murbella's former love slave?! They were mutually bonded, for fuck sakes! And who the hell is MURABELLA??? What a twat...
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Shit. I didn't even notice that extra "a" in there! :shock:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Mandy
Cat Herder

Re: Save the Amazon reviews here.

Post by Mandy »

I'm bumping this old thread because the Harriet Klausner Appreciation Society has posted a comment by Sandchigger on the blog. http://harriet-rules.blogspot.com/2010/ ... ecial.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Mandy wrote:I'm bumping this old thread because the Harriet Klausner Appreciation Society has posted a comment by Sandchigger on the blog. http://harriet-rules.blogspot.com/2010/ ... ecial.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nice! Good find, too.

Chiggie, you dog, you're getting famous out there!
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Hey, what can I say? I got bored watching & cheering on M. Helsdon combatting the pseudoscience nonsense posted daily in the Science Fiction and Aliens forums by "Mad Hattie" Marilyn Martin and decided to see what our old friend "Harriet" had been up to.

Nothing good, as usual. :lol:

The batch last week was pretty bad. There's no way the "reviews" I looked at could have been written by a native-English-speaking middle-aged American woman.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Face it, Chig, you're just cyberstalking Harriet and marking her reviews as unhelpful because you're jealous *you* can't write reviews like she can.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Face THIS, wart nose. :hand: ANYONE who can read a back cover blurb can write like "Harriet".

Hmmm... :think:

This could be fun! :lol:
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

No, I'm sure she reads a third of every tenth page as well, so she can say she actually cracked the cover.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Judging from the quality of the English in some of "her" "reviews", I'm not entirely sure "she" can read even that much. ;)
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

SandChigger wrote:Judging from the quality of the English in some of "her" "reviews", I'm not entirely sure "she" can read even that much. ;)
This inspired a funny thought: what if she simply takes the blurb and performs SandRider's continuous translation trick on it. Ta da! One review!
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Mmmmm ... so many ideas, so little time! :P