It took less time than I thought

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

TheDukester

It took less time than I thought

Post by TheDukester »

PoD has only been available for sale in this country for a few hours now (actually, most stores where I live won't even open for another hour or so), but that didn't stop our favorite tyrant from posting the first set of sales figures:

Pathetic, Byron. It only proves there's a lot of 13-year-olds out there who like two-page "chapters." Using sales figures as "proof" is like saying that Dan Brown is the greatest author to ever write in English.

+++++

Interesting aside: right above that post was one that mildly chastised Byron for, essentially, telling other users how to think. It was accurate, pretty harmless, and did not violate any DN rules.

It was, of course, deleted.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Well, what can you expect from someone that has BOARDADMIN as a nick in a forum that he administrates, and that 'job'' appears just below his nick.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

LAWL!

I didn't notice that until you pointed it out. Yeah, "boardadmin" right above "Site Admin." Jesus wept.

We get it, Byron! Over-compensating much?
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

24th on the Scifi books, on Release day. did 23 other Major Sci-fi titles come out in the last 2 weeks that I don't know about?

EDIT: Just checked Amazon (to drop in my 1-star review) Its #1 on the scifi list at the moment. Calm down, Byron.
The Dukester wrote:Using sales figures as "proof" is like saying that Dan Brown is the greatest author to ever write in English.
QFT
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Great review, Ampoliros. Short, direct, to the point.

What ranking I see for PoD varies depending on which list I look at. Right now, ordering "Science Fiction" books by bestseller, it's #22.

Some of the better sellers include a couple of books that are probably required reading for school - Atlas Shrugged, Brave New World, for example. It's nice to see Neal Stephenson's Anathem near the top of the list. Seeing PoD top that would be depressing.

HBJ
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Amazon's rankings are suspect, at best. There was a good article a couple of years ago (New York Times Magazine, I think ... or maybe it was Wired) about how there's much more randomness involved than people might think. Not to mention the fact that even Amazon itself couldn't explain how the rankings worked.

I've been taking them with a grain of salt for years. Actually, I never even look at them except in rare cases of mild curiosity.
Purge

Post by Purge »

Everytime I used to sign in for some reason I would read boardadmin as boredadmin. Byron must be pretty bored to do so many of the petty things he has done.
Tyrant

Post by Tyrant »

and of course it doesnt mention that not many books have actually sold....the number is how many copies the book stores order ...so all them sales...are still on the shelf waiting to sell...sadly ill buy it... i have to read it .... regardless of how bad it will be...i need to know whats being to done to our dune
Your friendly neighborhood Tyrant!!!
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Yeah I've said before, Bestseller lists mean Jack. You have to find the ones based of actual sales not Bookseller pre-orders. Barnes & Nobles list is based off sales (I assume Borders is as well). NYT list is based off pre-order.

l get all my Hardcover "Of Dune's" in the Bargain section shelf about a year after they come out for $5.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Tyrant, I understand your compulsion, but may I implore you to borrow it from a library? Assuming you don't need the satisfaction of destroying the book afterwards ...

HBJ,
not wanting to contribute *one cent* to the Heroes of Dune series.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Working for a retail bookseller, in shipping, I got a peek when it first arrived and now that it's out i have it on book-loan. :twisted: So as long as I can resist the urge to destroy it, I can get it for $5 in a year when the company is just trying to clear unsellable inventory.
sparafucile

Post by sparafucile »

A while ago, I mentioned that my local library only had one copy of PoD preordered, and it was an audio book at that. 1-2 months later, I just checked again, same thing, only an audiobook with only 9 requests, and my city is by no means tiny. This pleases me :twisted:.

I'm actually surprised not a single person has ordered it or that the library branch didn't go ahead and pick it up. This gives me hope. I had to convince my mother not to request that the library buy a copy... As fun as making fun of the HLP and nuDune is, enough is enough..
Sole Man

on this guy read POD

Post by Sole Man »

Tyrant wrote:and of course it doesnt mention that not many books have actually sold....the number is how many copies the book stores order ...so all them sales...are still on the shelf waiting to sell...sadly ill buy it... i have to read it .... regardless of how bad it will be...i need to know whats being to done to our dune
I salute you!
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

sparafucile wrote:A while ago, I mentioned that my local library only had one copy of PoD preordered, and it was an audio book at that. 1-2 months later, I just checked again, same thing, only an audiobook with only 9 requests, and my city is by no means tiny. This pleases me :twisted:.

I'm actually surprised not a single person has ordered it or that the library branch didn't go ahead and pick it up. This gives me hope. I had to convince my mother not to request that the library buy a copy... As fun as making fun of the HLP and nuDune is, enough is enough..
It's probably because the Library's job is to hold literary art in trust for the good of the community.

Three strikes against PoD.
sparafucile

Post by sparafucile »

Ampoliros wrote:
sparafucile wrote:A while ago, I mentioned that my local library only had one copy of PoD preordered, and it was an audio book at that. 1-2 months later, I just checked again, same thing, only an audiobook with only 9 requests, and my city is by no means tiny. This pleases me :twisted:.

It's probably because the Library's job is to hold literary art in trust for the good of the community.

Three strikes against PoD.
Unfortunately, they still have all the other prequels/sequels :/ Hopefully it means the libraries are coming to their senses :wink:
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

I'm going the library route, but it may take some time since I'm in the middle of A Clash of Kings... orald "suggested" that I finish reading A Song of Ice and Fire before reading Destination: Void, so I'm sure his anger would seethe through the Internets if I started PoD before finishing ASoIaF :lol:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

I'm going out to get it after work today. I've got a BN membership and a 15% off coupon. Some of you though are aware of my philosophy that we should continue to support the HLP financially so that they will eventually stagnate in their own filth.

Look forward to this year's edition of Nekhrun's Notes and my new and improved Myspace review in a couple days! :wink:
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

IF i ever read it, i will download it as a e-book for FREE in about six months... :)
Lisan Al-Gaib

Post by Lisan Al-Gaib »

Rakis wrote:IF i ever read it, i will download it as a e-book for FREE in about six months... :)
Me too :wink:

We don't have the BH&KJA books in Portuguese here, so we have to buy it from another country or read it by E-book.

Yes, I know, I'm lucky. When DUNE is discussed here the people only remember the FH's books!
The singular multiplicity of this universe draws my deepest attention. It is a thing of ultimate beauty.

-- The Stolen Journals

Nebiros

Post by Nebiros »

Whoever get's the book today or tomorrow, skim through the pages and tell me if the name Norma comes up. With that my decision to buy the book or not will be made.

If the Normacle is in it, I will not buy the book. But if not I can hope that it will be as good as the House trilogy which I do in fact like as well as the Road to Dune. Legends and Hunters not so much. Sandworms I hated!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Nebby, I've been pretty much through all of it now and I haven't noticed the name Norma or anything resembling "The Oracle" anywhere in it.

But seriously, get it from a library.

Or wait until I get it scanned. ;)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Sole Man

on PoD

Post by Sole Man »

I think we should sharpies and mark through the barcodes on the back of the books. Then they won't be able to sell...

AH AH A HA HA HAH AH AH HA HH HAHA HAHA HA HAH AHHA HAH HA HQAHHA HAHAAH AHHA :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Lisan Al-Gaib wrote:
Rakis wrote:IF i ever read it, i will download it as a e-book for FREE in about six months... :)
Me too :wink:

We don't have the BH&KJA books in Portuguese here, so we have to buy it from another country or read it by E-book.

Yes, I know, I'm lucky. When DUNE is discussed here the people only remember the FH's books!
Bless your people...Image