New PoD-Cast on Hairy Ticks!!!

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Frybread wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Lisan Al-Gaib wrote:
Frybread wrote:
Crysknife wrote:Freak is banned in 3....2....1......

Love the sig! But you know what my money is on.
I don't know if Freak will be banned. He seems to be able to get away with saying things that get others banned.
It's the Freak style! Telling the truth without hurt the hacks ;)
I try not to personally insult the authors. I guess that's what's kept me alive there. But now you can't even say you don't like their work. Not much point in being there anymore.
I never attacked the authors with my latest account yet I was <b>STILL</b> banned. It seems you have to refrain from criticizing <b>any</b> of KJA's works to remain a member of DN.
I actually didn't see you post anything offensive at all, I think Byron was just in banning mode and booted you because you happened to bbe part of the FTL conversation at the time.
Frybread

Post by Frybread »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
leagued wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Secher_Nbiw wrote:
leagued wrote:Does the usage of the term "Oracle" in PoD actually refer to Cenva? FH uses the term (capitalized and everything) multiple times in DM in reference to Paul, Alia (as well as Sibyl) and even Navigators I think.
The Oracle in PoD and the prequels/sequels is used to reference the Normacle. Oracle is used to desceribe the prescient person, as in 'the oracle is trapped by his vision'.

at least i think so.
Absolutely correct, what KJA is referring to here is obviously the Oracle (of time) as opposed to the way that FH used the term, meaning any prescient.
I know that most references in the KJA/BH books to "Oracle" refer to Norma, but I was wondering if there was actual confirmation that this reference is to her. I haven't read the passage and I don't like making the assumption.
Quote:
As before, Paul felt all sensation of his own body grow distant with the approach of the transcendent presence that called itself The Oracle.

Big fat capital T in the "The Oracle" too. Sounds pretty clear to me, I don’t see how they could possibly be referring to anything else, there are no other big powerful presences in the extended Duniverse (I say extended because there are none in the original Duniverse, period). It would be a pretty massive stretch to say that KJABH intended anything else when they wrote that.

They have obviously set up Norma as the guiding deity of their Duniverse. I will honestly bet 100$ that Leto of Dune will show Norma guiding him as well.

EDIT: for the record, I'm all for someone (I have myself in the past on certain issues) playing devils advocate with KJABH, we certainly do need to look at that side of things too, but this is a pretty open and shut case.
I hate KJA. I was worried that he would try to completely hijack Dune with his crappy characters and storylines and having the Normacle appear in PoD, Hunters and Sandworms has confirmed my fear. I hate KJA.
Lisan Al-Gaib

Post by Lisan Al-Gaib »

Freakzilla wrote:
Lisan Al-Gaib wrote:
Frybread wrote:

I don't know if Freak will be banned. He seems to be able to get away with saying things that get others banned.
I try not to personally insult the authors. I guess that's what's kept me alive there. But now you can't even say you don't like their work. Not much point in being there anymore.
Exactly! I had never insulted the authors there. I save all the bad words to say it here, the jacurutu, where I felt free to do that. But that wasn't enough for the admin.
The singular multiplicity of this universe draws my deepest attention. It is a thing of ultimate beauty.

-- The Stolen Journals

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Lisan Al-Gaib wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Lisan Al-Gaib wrote:
Frybread wrote:

Exactly! I had never insulted the authors there. I save all the bad words to say it here, the jacurutu, where I felt free to do that. But that wasn't enough for the admin.
Except for when you called them "fuckers." :wink:

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Freakzilla wrote:
GamePlayer wrote:I wonder if anyone will comment before the animated graphic is removed. Make sure and repost any reactions here :)
Sloe Man liked it but is affaid it will get me banned. :cry:

arnoldo calls my BoG lame, but I said, "how can you say that, it's been going on for over two years!".
Aww, poor Sloey :)

So as always, arnoldo says nothing of importance :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
leagued

Post by leagued »

Holy crap, Byron's gone delete-crazy. I guess Freak revealing that KJA thought a "chris Tolkien"-style Dune book would be boring and my asking what that was supposed to mean qualified as censor-worthy. wow.
LeagueD
Lisan Al-Gaib

Post by Lisan Al-Gaib »

Omphalos wrote:
Lisan Al-Gaib wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Lisan Al-Gaib wrote:
Frybread wrote:

Except for when you called them "fuckers." :wink:
Yes, here in Jacurutu.

I thought I could express my anger here, or everybody here is religious?
The singular multiplicity of this universe draws my deepest attention. It is a thing of ultimate beauty.

-- The Stolen Journals

Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

Wow!

The supposedly best book yet! High gear! Direct sequel to Dune.

He deleted the thread rather than even a token defense of the new "amazing" book.

Byron Merritt, the Dunenovels admin, is such a...

PUSSY
PUSSY
PUSSY
PUSSY
PUSSY
PUSSY
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Frybread wrote: I hate KJA. I was worried that he would try to completely hijack Dune with his crappy characters and storylines and having the Normacle appear in PoD, Hunters and Sandworms has confirmed my fear. I hate KJA.
After what he did in Star Wars I was angry but knew I could ignore it. When he started his Dune marathon, I knew I could not stand on the sidelines.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Frybread

Post by Frybread »

Ampoliros wrote:
Frybread wrote: I hate KJA. I was worried that he would try to completely hijack Dune with his crappy characters and storylines and having the Normacle appear in PoD, Hunters and Sandworms has confirmed my fear. I hate KJA.
After what he did in Star Wars I was angry but knew I could ignore it. When he started his Dune marathon, I knew I could not stand on the sidelines.
The difference with Star Wars is its creator is alive and can determine what is and what isn't canon. In Dune, FH is gone and, unfotunately, his son is willing to pimp the series out to KJA/Satan.
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Freakzilla wrote:
GamePlayer wrote:I wonder if anyone will comment before the animated graphic is removed. Make sure and repost any reactions here :)
So...Byron just removed the animation? Anything else happened Freak ? :)
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Rakis wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
As far as I know I'm banned. I can't log in.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Freakzilla wrote:
Rakis wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Hmmm...no...i just checked and your name is still there...
Lisan Al-Gaib

Post by Lisan Al-Gaib »

Freakzilla wrote:
Rakis wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
There is a message saying that you have been banned when it happens.

I thing you only lost your password :D

-- The Stolen Journals

chanilover

Post by chanilover »

It's no surprise that Serena and Norma will be popping up in Paul of Dune, Kevin and Brian are past even trying to pretend they're trying to write in Frank's universe and happily insert their own shit.

I am reading Hunters at the moment, which I started right after Chapterhouse, and at one point Murbella is thinking about the Guild and the book casually states she knows the Guild consult with the Oracle, as if it was common knowledge. What a nerve.

Also, when you go straight from Chapterhouse to Hunters, it's like being slapped in the face with a wet towel, the writing style in Hunters is so crap.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Lisan Al-Gaib wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Rakis wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
There is a message saying that you have been banned when it happens.

I thing you only lost your password :D
And here I was feeling liberated. :?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

This probably isn't worth a new thread (or it might have already been posted somewhere here), but I found it to be laugh-out-loud funny: even Starcraft fans hate Kevin Jerkoff Anderson's guts.

Classic stuff; be sure to read some of the comments for the full effect (I especially like the guy who said that KJA and his wife desperately needed the money). Seriously, is there a single area of genre fandom that this unspeakable hack hasn't totally offended?
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

TheDukester wrote:This probably isn't worth a new thread (or it might have already been posted somewhere here), but I found it to be laugh-out-loud funny: even Starcraft fans hate Kevin Jerkoff Anderson's guts.
The first review says it all really. Oh, heck, I may as well quote it here:
It's obvious after the first few short chapters, that although the writer may have done his research on the Starcraft world, he's not well-acquainted with it. The book DOES NOT fit into the continuity of the Starcraft world. It reads more like the writer got a few profiles of some races and decided to do whatever he wanted with them to keep his plot moving, which is not a good idea considering a majority of readers are probably Starcraft fans. (A Queen does not control the drones...)
But the worst offense in this book is that it's BORING and painful to read. Thankfully, it's short, but at the end of every 3-page chapter, I wanted to put the book down for good. I'd pick it up thinking, it'll get better later -- it didn't. LIBERTY'S CRUSADE (the first book), had its fault but it's a Starcraft novel through and through. SHADOW OF THE XEL'NAGA only has a few cameos of two characters from Starcraft and does very very very little characterization of any of the new or old characters. And a ROVERLISK (a dog-zerg)? C'mon! If you're going to invent new zergs, at least make them interesting. If I knew then what I know now, I never would've spent money on this book.
Gee, does *every single thing* in this review sound familiar?

HBJ
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

The Retard KJA wrote:Excerpt. © Reprinted by permission. All rights reserved.
Chapter One

As a smothering blanket of darkness descended over the town of Free Haven, the rugged settlers scrambled to avoid the storm. Night came quickly on the colony planet of Bhekar Ro, with plenty of wind but no stars.

Pitch-black clouds swirled over the horizon, caught on the sharp mountainous ridge surrounding the broad valley that formed the heart of the struggling agricultural colony. Already, explosive thunder crackled over the ridge like a poorly aimed artillery barrage. Each blast was powerful enough to be detected on several still-functioning seismographs planted around the explored areas.

Atmospheric conditions created thunder slams with sonic-boom intensity. The roar itself was sometimes sufficient to cause destruction. And what the sonic thunder left unharmed, the laser-lightning tore to pieces.

Forty years earlier, when the first colonists had fled the oppressive government of the Terran Confederacy, they had been duped into believing that this place could be made into a new Eden. After three generations, the stubborn settlers refused to give up.

Riding in the shotgun seat beside her brother Lars, Octavia Bren looked through the streaked windshield of the giant robo-harvester as they hurriedly trundled back to town. The rumble of the mechanical treads and the roar of the engine almost drowned out the sonic thunder. Almost.

Laser-lightning blasts seared down from the clouds like luminous spears, straight-line lances of static discharge that left glassy pockmarks on the terrain. The laser-lightning reminded Octavia of library images she had seen of a big Yamato gun fired from a Battlecruiser in orbit.

"Why in the galaxy did our grandparents ever choose to move here?" she asked rhetorically. More laser-lightning burned craters into the countryside.

"For the scenery, of course," Lars joked.

While the bombardment of hail would clear the air of the ever-present dust and grit, it would also damage the crops of triticale-wheat and salad-moss that barely clung to the rocky soil. The Free Haven settlers had few emergency provisions to help them withstand any severe harvest failure, and it had been a long time since they had asked for outside help.

But they would survive somehow. They always had.

Lars watched the approaching storm, a spark of excitement in his hazel eyes. Though he was a year older than his sister, when he wore that cocky grin on his face he looked like a reckless teenager. "I think we can outrun the worst of it."

"You always overestimate what we can do, Lars." Even at the age of seventeen, Octavia was known for her stability and common sense. "And I always end up saving your butt."

Lars seemed to have a bottomless reservoir of energy and enthusiasm. She gripped her seat as the big all-purpose vehicle crunched through a trench and continued along a wide beaten path between plantings, heading toward the distant lights of the town.

Shortly after their parents' death, it had been Lars's crazy suggestion that the two of them expand their cultivated land and add remote automated mineral mines to their holdings. She had tried, unsuccessfully, to talk him out of it. "Let's be practical, Lars. We've already got our hands full with the farm as it is. Expanding would leave us time for nothing but work -- not even families."

Half of the colonists' eligible daughters had already filed requests to marry him -- Cyn McCarthy had filed three separate times! -- but so far Lars had made plenty of excuses. Colonists were considered adults at the age of fifteen on this rough world, and many were married and had children before they reached their eighteenth birthday. Next year, Octavia would be facing the same decision, and choices were few in Free Haven.

"Are you sure we want to do this?" she had asked one last time.

"Of course. It's worth the extra effort. And once we're established there'll be plenty of time for each of us to get married," Lars had insisted, shaking back his shoulder-length sandy hair. She had never been able to argue with that grin. "Before we know it, Octavia, it'll all turn around, and then you'll thank me."

He had been certain they could grow crops high on the slopes of the Back Forty, the ridge that separated their lands from another broad basin and more mountains twelve kilometers away. So the brother and sister had used their robo-harvester to scrape flat a new swath of barely arable farmland and plant new crops. They also set up automated mineral mining stations on the rocky slopes of the foothills. That had been almost two years ago.

Now a gust of wind slammed into the broad metal side of the harvester, rattling the sealed windowports. Lars compensated on the steering column and accelerated. He didn't even look tired from their long day of hard work.

Laser-lightning seared across the sky, leaving colorful tracks across her retinas. Though he couldn't see any better than his sister, Lars didn't slow down at all. They both just wanted to get home.

"Watch out for the boulders!" Octavia said, her piercing green eyes spotting the hazard as rain slashed across the windows of the impressive tractorlike vehicle.

Lars discounted the rocks, drove over them, and crushed the stone with the vehicle's treads. "Aww, don't underestimate the capabilities of the machine."

She snorted indelicately. "But if you throw a plate or fry a hydraulic cam, I'm the one who has to fix it."

The multipurpose robo-harvester, the most important piece of equipment any of the colonists owned, was capable of bulldozing, tilling, destroying boulders, planting, and harvesting crops. Some of the big machines had rock-crusher attachments, others had flamethrowers. The vehicles were also practical for traversing ten- to twenty-klick distances over rough terrain.

The hull of the robo-harvester, once a gleaming cherry red, was now faded, scratched, and pitted. The engine ran as smoothly as a lullaby, though, and that was all Octavia cared about.

Now she checked the weather scanner and atmospheric-pressure tracker in the robo-harvester's cabin, but the readings were all wild. "Looks like a bad one tonight."

"They're always bad ones. This is Bhekar Ro, after all -- what do you expect?"

Octavia shrugged. "I guess it was good enough for Mom and Dad." Back when they were alive.

She and Lars were the only survivors of their family. Every family among the settlers had lost friends or relatives. Taming an uncooperative new world was dangerous, rarely rewarding work, always ripe for tragedy.

But the people here still followed their dreams. These exhausted colonists had left the tight governmental fences of the Confederacy for the promised land of Bhekar Ro some forty years before. They had sought independence and a new start, away from the turmoil and constant civil wars among the inner Confederacy worlds.

The original settlers had wanted nothing more than peace and freedom. They had begun idealistically, establishing a central town with resources for all the colonists to share, naming it Free Haven, and dividing farmland equally among the able-bodied workers. But in time the idealism faded as the colonists endured toil and new hardships on a planet that did not live up to their expectations.

Nobody among the colonists ever suggested going back, though -- especially not Octavia and Lars Bren.

The lights of Free Haven glowed like a warm, welcoming paradise as the robo-harvester approached. In the distance Octavia could already hear the storm-warning siren next to the old Missile Turret in the town plaza, signaling colonists to find shelter. Everyone else -- at least the colonists who had common sense -- had already barricaded themselves inside their prefabricated homes to shelter from the storm.

They passed outlying homes and fields, crossed over dry irrigation ditches, and reached the perimeter of the town, which was laid out in the shape of an octagon. A low perimeter fence encircled the settlement, but the gates for the main streets had never been closed.

An explosion of sonic thunder roared so close that the robo-harvester rattled. Lars gritted his teeth and drove onward. Octavia remembered sitting on her father's knee during her childhood, laughing at the thunder as her family had gathered inside their home, feeling safe....

Their grandparents had aged rapidly from the rigors of life here and had the dubious distinction of being the first to be buried in Bhekar Ro's ever-growing cemetery outside Free Haven's octagonal perimeter. Then, not long after Octavia had turned fifteen, the spore blight had struck.

The sparse crops of mutated triticale-wheat had been afflicted by a tiny black smut on a few of the kernels. Because food was in short supply, Octavia's mother had set aside the moldy wheat for herself and her husband, feeding untainted bread to their children. The meager meal had seemed like any other: rough and tasteless, but nutritious enough to keep them alive.

Octavia remembered that last night so clearly. She had been suffering from one of her occasional migraines and a dire sense of unreasonable foreboding. Her mother had sent the teenage girl to bed early, where Octavia had had terrible nightmares.

The next morning she had awakened in a too-quiet house to find both of her parents dead in their bed. Beneath wet sheets twisted about by their final agony, the bodies of her mother and father were a quivering, oozing mass of erupted fungal bodies, rounded mushrooms of exploding spores that rapidly disintegrated all flesh....

Lars and Octavia had never returned to that house, burning it to the ground along with the tainted fields and the homes of seventeen other families that had been infected by the horrible, parasitic disease.

Though a terrible blow to the colony, the spore blight had drawn the survivors together even more tightly. The new mayor, Jacob "Nik" Nikolai, had delivered an impassioned eulogy for all the victims of the spore plague, somehow rekindling the fires of independence in the process and giving the settlers the drive to stay here. They had already lived through so much, survived so many hardships, that they coul... "
:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

no, but seriously

sigh, laser lightning obliterating their fields EVERY NIGHT aside...YOU ARE RIDING THROUGH A HUGE "lightning laser" storm in a HUGE TRASHCAN. CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR DARWIN AWARD.

Are the Octagonal walls supposed to protect the town from the "big bwad fwighting stwom?"

Oh, and notice its the "sonic thunder" that almost hits them.

... Sonic...Thunder....

Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Lars, What an Original name for a farmer :roll:

HACK
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

OK, people, fun time is over.

Remember how your teachers in school told you to always go with your first, gut response on a test? Not to change your first answer unless you were absolutely POSITIVE that it was wrong?

Well, that kind-of applies here, too, although this was not in any way intended as some kind of test of YOUR abilities. And you can be mad and hate me if you want, but no malice was intended towards anyone here.

So, yes, that's right: if your first impression was that the "Serena appears to Paul" chapter was a fake and a joke, give yourself full points and a pat on the back. The entire thing was my idea, based on supposition inspired by this passage (the bolded part) from Hunters where Serena shows up (equally inexplicably) in Sheeana's OM:
The other voice chuckled within her. He was by no means the first to use such tactics. He learned much from the past. He learned much from me.
Sheeana cast her inner vision deep into her mind. "Who are you?"
I am one who knows this subject better than most. Better than almost anyone. The voice paused. I am Serena Butler. I started the mother of all jihads.
That's ambiguous as to whether Paul communed with Serena in his OM or simply read about her in some history book. (Notice that I'm ignoring for the now the question of how a person-in-memory in the head of a woman could know what had been known or happened in the head of a man who lived over 10,000 years after that persona and 5,000 years before the woman in whose head the revelation was occurring. All rather typically stupid, no?)

Anyway, I have not yet found any mention of either Serena or Norma. But then, I've only glanced through the book here and there. While the "authors" may not have been stupid enough to commit the ultimate sin of incorporating either of their two favorite bints into this book, rest assured that there are probably more than enough other inconsistencies and idiot additions to warrant the anger and hatred displayed here.

I am a bit impressed with my own prescience with regard to bad writing. There is a balcony attached to their bedroom. There is a bedroom scene with Paul and Chani.

The rest for now, is silence.
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

OMG, Sandchigger got me banned from DN. :lol:
~Pink Snowman
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

When I first read it I thought it was a joke. But people were convinced it was real. So I listened to the PoD-cast twice and I would have continued to think it was a joke until you added a "joke summary" of the chapter... why would you parody something of your own creation? That clinched it for me.

However, its still sad that anyone would actually think that KJA and Brian were capable of writing that and call it canon. We must extremely little faith in them.

On a side note, what does that make what I wrote in my "Paul of Dune" this past weekend? Is a parody of a parody still a parody? Chig must be one of the facedancers that appear at the end of Chapterhouse :wink:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I stand abased in the Sacred Human Presence. Good one SC. I'm ashamed to say that in my hatred for the new books I wanted this to be true so that I could hate them more. Lesson learned. I jumped on that red meat like a Republican on a Democratic Sex Scandle.

Kudos, SC, it must have taken iron-clad resolve to write something that (almost) out KJA's KJA. I hope you got a nap and a couple of brews after that to center your mind.

have you finished it yet, any more tidbits to add? I had a brief moment of fear that this book might not be that bad so I went back and read the first published chapter. Anger has been properly restored to the appropriate level.

I'm surprised Byron didn't call you on it. By the way, Byron, with Freak gone and DN dying, yes, I'm Fondak, so you can ban him at your pleasure, I won't be coming back to DN. (Honestly though, I was going to adhere as best as I could to the 'Rules' there.)
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

You fucker!