Life span.

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Laphtiya

Life span.

Post by Laphtiya »

Okay from my understanding without Spice the average life span of a human is around 130 (if you take Moneo as an example with Leto II). With Spice a human can live over 300. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

I've read all the FH novels, and I've just started to read the BH & KJA House Atreides. I was enjoying this book until, according to these book the spice seems to do very little in expanding the life span of a human. The oldest Corrino was 200? And Shaddam's father could like to be 170 with the amount of spice beer he drinks.

Okay is this one of the many inconsistancies that people have been talking about or am I actually missing something important.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I was not aware that these two made this particular mistake, and its been almost a decade since I read this travesty. But that seems like a mistake to me.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I'd file this under the minor inconsistencies, which can usually be explained away by the authors or the prequel fans and as such don't constitute real hard fact violations of the Duniverse, rather they showcase a deeper lack of understanding for the universe that the Hack is writing in. This kind of "light" mistake is so common (often one or more a page) that I don't even put much thought into them anymore - it gets tiring to bring up stuff like this (which I agree is obviously a mistake) and just have other people write it off as explainable and call us nitpickers.
Laphtiya

Post by Laphtiya »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:I'd file this under the minor inconsistencies, which can usually be explained away by the authors or the prequel fans and as such don't constitute real hard fact violations of the Duniverse, rather they showcase a deeper lack of understanding for the universe that the Hack is writing in. This kind of "light" mistake is so common (often one or more a page) that I don't even put much thought into them anymore - it gets tiring to bring up stuff like this (which I agree is obviously a mistake) and just have other people write it off as explainable and call us nitpickers.
Personally I wouldn't call this a minor error when the entire Imperium depends on the Spice (at this point I don't know what happenes after Chapter House). And its main use after space travel is that it extends human life. How could Thufar Hawat serve 3 generations of Atreides if the life span according to BH & KJA is 170 years. In my own mind I've just been adding 100 years to BH's life span limits ;)

I was just reading this on the train to work and it annoyed me all day I just had to post about it.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I'd say we can argue it both ways. It can be considered minor, if it was one of few mistakes they made.

Sadly, it stands as evidence that the 'writers' hardly did any back checking at all. Its minor in that they are off on what was the average lifespan. Its major in that they were off by only about 100-150 years.
(Wasn't Teg 300? It seemed like Teg's 300 was the equivalent of about 70 nowadays.)

The theme here is what matters. if this had been the only mistake they made, sure I'd let it slide and it would be nitpicking. When we have pages and pages of nitpicks, as well as major inconsistencies that seem to suggest that the author's didn't just not fact-check but don't seem to care that they are suggesting something very out of character with the established universe as a MAJOR THEME; we'll thats a very legitimate complaint.

These complaints get us tossed into the "fanatic" group. I'm sorry basically what you have here is the equivalent of a politician seeking the position of "Republican Candidate for X" getting up in front of a pro-life audience and trying to claim that the Republican Party has always been about "choice", and then labeling them "talifans" when they boo him off the stage.

gotta love analogies!
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

But ... but ... didn't Bri-Bri write, like, an awesome concordance? Why don't they just use that?

**snicker**
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

TheDukester wrote:But ... but ... didn't Bri-Bri write, like, an awesome concordance? Why don't they just use that?

**snicker**
They did use it...and misquote it...also... :crazy: