A Legacy for OH's

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Ampoliros

A Legacy for OH's

Post by Ampoliros »

A long time ago on a forum thread...over there...i posted this:
hey don't fear Leto of Dune. i say we all go buy our own copy. every one of us. hardcopy, day one.

then we hold a barbeque...

Lets see if Guiness Book of World Records will admit it as most burned book in history. Lets even try to get the entry on the same page as Kevin's book signing.
I probably meant Paul of Dune. I still think this is a valid idea. I think if we did this for Paul of Dune's release, and then posted a few Youtubes of our personal BBQ's it might send the message to the HLP a little better about how we feel.

Too direct? Not direct enough? What do you think? Might not be the legacy the Orthodox Herbertians are looking for, but hey, free country.
I'm sure the 'authors' would spin this as a threat against themselves.

Millions would cry if the Mona Lisa burned. Lets see who cries over a burnt Pail o' Dung.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

I am in favour of burning any and all books by the two hacks.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Man, how many do you think we'd have to burn to be the "most burned book"? I'll bet there are a few books out there that would be hard to beat.

I do like the idea though. :twisted:
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:Man, how many do you think we'd have to burn to be the "most burned book"? I'll bet there are a few books out there that would be hard to beat.

I don't think there is a reference in the GBR to bookburning. If that is indeed true a good effort might convince the GBR people to take the record attempt serious. :D

and wrote a Dune Novel."
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Serkanner wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:Man, how many do you think we'd have to burn to be the "most burned book"? I'll bet there are a few books out there that would be hard to beat.

I don't think there is a reference in the GBR to bookburning. If that is indeed true a good effort might convince the GBR people to take the record attempt serious. :D
Oh, I don't know about that. Simon managed to get them to take his basement collage seriously... :shock: I think they'd take a book burning. :twisted:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Well, ignoring the question of whether we want to be regarded as a bunch of book burners, maybe it would depend on how we qualified it.

Book Most Burned Publicly on YouTube, maybe? :D

Completely seriously, though: do you really want to give this book any kind of recognition like that?

People who otherwise wouldn't have even looked at it, might. Sales could skyrocket. Byron would ejaculate in public. Profusely. DN site whiteout.

Do we really want that? :?
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Hmmmm...i was all for it, but Chigger's stuff about Byron's ejaculation... :shock:

I just don't want to be a part of THAT... :vomit:

Let's just buy someone else's books... :P
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

We could still shoot for

MOST HATED SCIFI BOOK BURNED IN EFFIGY ON YOUTUBE :D

(How to burn it in effigy: Make a color copy of the cover dustjacket and wrap it around a bundle of [preferably: used toilet] paper and burn that instead.)
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

How about Most flamboyant move to get a corporate entity to stop raping a literary masterpiece for pure profit using the lowest bidder.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I like the effigy idea better. Too bad we can't steal all the delivery trucks and drive them into the deep desert, drop a couple thumpers, then escape in an ornithopter and film the worms attacking...then again, Paul of Dune is poisonous to the Dune world so I imagine we'd only succeed in killing off all the worms.

Damn those bastards thought of everything!

We could get the Herbert Estate declared a national treasure, that might gum up the works a bit. We'd have to cover it up with some other Sci-fi greats as well. The National Convention for the Protection of Endangered Fictional Legacies.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

I initially liked the idea of a book-burning, or some other form of book-destruction, but I reversed course when I realized that it's really only the purchase of the books that the HLP gives a damn about. And I don't want to support them, in any way, from a financial standpoint.

So the plan needs to be modified into a two-step proess. First, hijacking a truck with a load of the new book ... then, the burning. :)
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Yeah, I wouldn't buy one of their books unless I got to watch them eat it or something like that.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

We could of course lower ourselves to burning the books we already have bought previously and state this as the "greatest prequel burning ever". I have 6 books in English and two in Dutch ready for the pile.

and wrote a Dune Novel."
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Serkanner wrote:We could of course lower ourselves to burning the books we already have bought previously and state this as the "greatest prequel burning ever". I have 6 books in English and two in Dutch ready for the pile.
I have some that I'd burn, hardbacks too.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Tleilax Master B

Post by Tleilax Master B »

Freakzilla wrote:
Serkanner wrote:We could of course lower ourselves to burning the books we already have bought previously and state this as the "greatest prequel burning ever". I have 6 books in English and two in Dutch ready for the pile.
I have some that I'd burn, hardbacks too.
I even have signed copies of those crappers I could throw on the ol' pile.
trang

Post by trang »

how about finding out shipping schedules for new book and bribing the truck drivers to allow them to be "boosted" from the trucks.

Then take the books and give them out to all the homeless people you can find to be used for toilet, keeping warm via fire and stuffing in there cloths?

We look like concerned citizans helping the fellow man, and below the wire the sinister true nature of knowing the books will recieve the soiling and toiling they deserve?

Might even get P&B to follow suit by donating hundreds of copies on top of that to homeless shelters, furthering the soil and toil vengence.

MMMMMMMMMUUUUUUUUUUUUUHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

Trang
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I think they should be donated to prisons and jails. Maybe even to Guantanamo Bay.
~Pink Snowman
Tleilax Master B

Post by Tleilax Master B »

Freakzilla wrote:I think they should be donated to prisons and jails. Maybe even to Guantanamo Bay.
Hey, doesn't the constitution prohibit "cruel and unusual" punishment? :wink:
Last edited by Tleilax Master B on 04 Aug 2008 17:24, edited 1 time in total.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Tleilax Master B wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:I think they should be donated to prisons and jails. Maybe even to Guantanamo Bay.
Hey, doesn't the constitution prohibit "cruel and unsual" punishment? :wink:
By the time they find out it will be too late. :twisted:
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I'd imagine the shipments are insured in some way. Destruction of undelivered books would maybe hurt the HLP, but not the publisher, probably.

Nah, nothing illegal, just symbolic. ;)
halcyo

Post by halcyo »

How about we...........

just don't buy it?

halcyo
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

halcyo wrote:How about we...........

just don't buy it?

halcyo
Where's the fun in that? Im sure our criticism will be worth much more to us than the few dollars they get by our purchases.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

halcyo wrote:How about we...........

just don't buy it?

halcyo
I second that.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

If it were possible to get a copy in a timely manner from a library, I wouldn't buy it new, I'd wait until more used copies came online.

Striking quickly is important. (For some reason...I forget.... :? )

Added:

Oh, yeah: As I feared, someone of with very little intelligence and a cob lodged permanently up her ass (Nekhrun, know anything about that?) has read this thread and gotten her panties all soaking at the prospect of us planning some illegal act.

This is why you have to be careful what you post on the Net. There are a lot of stupid people out there. :roll:
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

SandChigger wrote:Oh, yeah: As I feared, someone of with very little intelligence and a cob lodged permanently up her ass (Nekhrun, know anything about that?) has read this thread and gotten her panties all soaking at the prospect of us planning some illegal act.
Do you have linkage? You know, for those of us who are slow on the uptake ... :)

Anyone who would take this exercise in wish-fulfillment seriously just reinforces my belief that stupid people should have to get a license before being allowed online.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.