Post by SandChigger »

Found this thread over on TrekBBS:

"Paul of Dune"? OMFG

I think I recognize a few people. ;)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

There's a Trek BBS? Hasn't that franchise been dead for over a decade now? *zing* For a Trek forum, there's actually plenty of strong negative opinions of the Dune prequels. I half expected to find a bunch of morons gushing over the books like they gush over the rest of the franchised crap that sells for Trek. Perhaps the Trek fandom has developed some taste :)

*rabid anti-Trek detractor*

I like the comment made by the fella with the Dr. Manhattan avatar

I read Sandworms of Dune at an airport - it was unique -it both sucks and blows - really awful shite.

:laughing:
trang

Post by trang »

seemed to be a balance over there, some of the comments make me wanna choke,but thats why they call it opinion I guess.

I read some trek *vary sparingly* mostly just stick to the video versions. I got a two part series on Khan that looked interesting, gonna read it at some point. I also have picked up some of the new adventures books (new earth, new frontier, etc). They are light reads and knock them out in a few hours, opposed to days for DUNE and othe classic sci works.

anywho, migh throw a jib in over there for the outcasts, never know.

Fairday
Trang
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

I know quite a few trekbbs members.. kinda sad that there are so many preeks posting in that thread.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I grew up on TOS reruns, enjoyed TNG well enough at the time, have now seen most of the DS9 (fun), Voyager (mebst...but liked the holo doctor), and Enterprise (feh) series. Plus all the movies (Nemesis sucked). I've only ever read one Trek book, the novelization of First Contact, and that only because I wanted to know what the story was about and it was going to be forever before it showed up in the video shops over here. It's never occurred to me to look for, much less join, a Trekkie forum.

Star Trek, like Star Wars, is something to watch when half your brain is shot. It's good for jokes and laughs sometimes, but it's not something you take seriously. And certainly not something you read. :shock:
orald

Post by orald »

SandChigger wrote:And certainly not something you read. :shock:
Sure it is. And they've got 4 new ST books in the making, or haven't you heard? The new Whores of Dung series. :P

Mandy, show him that Mike Chang's SW board(and site, very good for laughs) please, I've deleted it from my links ages ago.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Actually, that Mike Chang SW board is hilarious (if it's the same board of which I'm thinking). Admittedly, the board is designed for physics whores and the extreme techie side of science fiction fandom, but they've got a wickedly entertaining and vulgar sense of humor over there. I remember visiting there several times years back and I heard some of the best Trek debunking I've ever seen. They've ripped that franchise a new, well deserved black hole.

Speaking as a sci-fi fan that can't stand the way Trek is presented as some bullshit bastion of accurate sci-fi, that SW fan site is comedy gold even if it's a troll orgy at the annual meeting of the Marijuana Party :)
Secher Nbiw

Post by Secher Nbiw »

http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=109209

with a ton of people you've never even heard of...
orald

Post by orald »

Yea, GP, I mostly read just the articles on the site, the physics etc and the hate mail.

God bless hate mail! :lol:

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Secher Nbiw wrote:http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=109209

with a ton of people you've never even heard of...
I wonder if Cairon (the OP) is the same one from Arrakeen....??? He was doing a Butlerian Jihad fanfic and posting it over there at one time. (Another one of those things The Bitch Who Doesn't Deserve Naming is keeping people from. :roll: )
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

orald wrote:
SandChigger wrote:And certainly not something you read. :shock:
Sure it is. And they've got 4 new ST books in the making, or haven't you heard? The new Whores of Dung series. :P

Mandy, show him that Mike Chang's SW board(and site, very good for laughs) please, I've deleted it from my links ages ago.
This one? http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/ They crack me up, cause some of the people there are really serious. They occasionally have it out in the Godforsaken Hellholes forum at Troll Kingdom.

One of my first television memories is of watching TOS reruns with my mom. I've been watching the remastered episodes, and they look really good.. by that I mean they didn't really change much.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

That's the one. Stardestroyer.net. Like I said, it can be a whole new level of scary fandom, but it's also great for a good laugh and some serious Trek deconstruction :)

I actually used to post at Spacebattles many, many years ago. It was initially very interesting because of all the tech talk and the fan-made CGI videos with ships battling it out. But became really lame after the novelty wore off.

Ah, the strange little microcosms on the internet :)
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Finally had the time this afternoon to sit down and read Cairon's two initial posts in that thread on SpaceBattles.

Damned Good! :D
Cairon wrote:And that’s why Hunters of Dune sucks…

Because it’s just plain crap, written for people with crap for brains, written by people with crap for brains.
Amen. :twisted:
orald

Post by orald »

Chig wrote:The Bitch Who Doesn't Deserve Naming
Isn't that "The Bitch Who Must Not Be Named"?

Ah, now we need a LoTR fan-fic with her...it. :?

I nominate her to be Shilob.

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

There's no particular reason not to name her that I know of; why she "must not" be named....

Hypatia. Hypatia is a super bitch.

See, no fire raining down from the heavens. PhLththth.

I just thought it would be more fun to mention her without mentioning her. ('Cause I think we all know by now that she gets a little moist down there every time she sees one of us post her name.) I'd forgotten that she'd called Mandy a bitch and that Mandy had later owned it. (Touché!)

Anyway, why spoil the image of a nice (comparatively speaking) spider monster that way? :?

And besides...no fanfic is ever going to surpass Chanilover's imagery of the arnoloco slig slurping up her "pussy batter", you know? :lol:

(Yo, Nasty Bitch lurking there reading this: Live long and putrify!)