Analogies for New Dune!

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Analogies for New Dune!

Post by Nekhrun »

I didn't think the metaphor thread was enough so...

New Dune:Science Fiction::Condom:Having lots of kids

New Dune:Enjoyment::arnoldo:Smart
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

New Dune:Sci-Fi::MD 20/20:Liquor
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

You're lucky you didn't use Boone's Farm. Then we'd have to have words. :D
Tleilax Master B

Post by Tleilax Master B »

Nekhrun wrote:You're lucky you didn't use Boone's Farm. Then we'd have to have words. :D
Yuck, you minnesotans have no taste :wink:

KJA:Good Author::My Turds:Chocolate
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

New Dune: books :: McDonald's : food

New Dune: literature :: Brittney Spears: music.
You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Nekhrun wrote:You're lucky you didn't use Boone's Farm. Then we'd have to have words. :D
I considered Night Train, but I'm wasn't sure everyone would know that one.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
orald

Post by orald »

I seriously doubt McDonalds have such bad food as the trendy liberal, tree-hugging fad claims...Food for the stomach, as opposed to for the brain, is different in that every human creature has at least some shread of natural, intinctive taste, and won't come back to eat it each time if it was that bad(and it's pricey too, no? maybe just here, though frankly I'll be dead before I waste my money on that kind of stuff, shuarma and falafel are much better than any hamburger can be).

Just my rant, it's getting annoying how much people diss McDonalds.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

orald wrote:I seriously doubt McDonalds have such bad food as the trendy liberal, tree-hugging fad claims...Food for the stomach, as opposed to for the brain, is different in that every human creature has at least some shread of natural, intinctive taste, and won't come back to eat it each time if it was that bad(and it's pricey too, no? maybe just here, though frankly I'll be dead before I waste my money on that kind of stuff, shuarma and falafel are much better than any hamburger can be).

I wouldn't bet on it. That shit's barely even digestable. Bleached grain bread that's mostly sugar and preservatives, "100% real beef" is the name of the company that makes the patties, not what's actually in them, and there's something like three times your daily salt requirements in one of their meals.

Trust me... it ain't nutrituos.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

orald wrote: intinctive taste, and won't come back to eat it each time if it was that bad(and it's pricey too, no?
Your post actually illustrates my comparison between the new dune and McDonalds perfectly. I fell for the burger six times before I really started to "taste" it and didn't start on the last two ( for the time being ).

It's all instinct!
orald

Post by orald »

AToE wrote:Trust me... it ain't nutrituos.
Never said it was, just that it doesn't taste like shit if people pay overmuch to eat it.

Serk, Reading is a bit different than eating, that's my point.
You don't have to be a brain-surgeon to know if something tastes like shit, but you can eat well and read shit and like it 'cause you're dumb. Taste buds don't require much brain power.

I'd compare the pre's, for a preek, to some over-sweet candy- full of explosions, shallow(and thus understandable for simpletons) writing and cheap sex scenes- just what a dumb kid(i.e preek) likes.

Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

I don't get it, were those supposed to be analogies?
orald

Post by orald »

Umm...of course? :P

To paraphrase a truly great man:

I would venture to say that the prequels are like(=analogy, right? right?) a small section of toilet paper that I used to wipe my bum on and discard into a port-a-pottie where it sits atop other fecal material only to fester amongst the mound of shite-eating flies that buzz around them before another large turd comes flying downward on top of them.

:wink:

Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

orald wrote:like(=analogy, right? right?)
Nope.
Metaphors and similes are similar, but not the same. Those two are when you compare one thing to another, usually for imagery. The difference is that similes use "like" or "as," while metaphors are direct equivalences.

Analogies have more to do with relationships between things, and applying the same concept more than once. I have trouble defining these terms explicitly, but read through the threads for examples.
You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Phaedrus wrote:
orald wrote:like(=analogy, right? right?)
Nope.
Metaphors and similes are similar, but not the same. Those two are when you compare one thing to another, usually for imagery. The difference is that similes use "like" or "as," while metaphors are direct equivalences.

Analogies have more to do with relationships between things, and applying the same concept more than once. I have trouble defining these terms explicitly, but read through the threads for examples.
I should've seen this coming.

Metaphor--comparison where the thing you're comparing is/takes on the qualities of what you're comparing it to.

Simile--comparison using "like" or "as".

Analogy--similarity between things on which a comparison can be based.
_______is to________ as________is to________.

orald

Post by orald »

:roll:

Shall I go repost my beautiful simile at the appropriate thread then? :wink:

McDune:Dune::Hillary:Sanity.

Wordcount:KJA::Money:$ceintology.

Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

orald wrote:Umm...of course? :P

To paraphrase a truly great man:

I would venture to say that the prequels are like(=analogy, right? right?) a small section of toilet paper that I used to wipe my bum on and discard into a port-a-pottie where it sits atop other fecal material only to fester amongst the mound of shite-eating flies that buzz around them before another large turd comes flying downward on top of them.

:lol:
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
Tleilax Master B

Post by Tleilax Master B »

orald wrote:I seriously doubt McDonalds have such bad food as the trendy liberal, tree-hugging fad claims...Food for the stomach, as opposed to for the brain, is different in that every human creature has at least some shread of natural, intinctive taste, and won't come back to eat it each time if it was that bad(and it's pricey too, no? maybe just here, though frankly I'll be dead before I waste my money on that kind of stuff, shuarma and falafel are much better than any hamburger can be).

Ever seen the movie Super Size Me? Watch that and you'll see what McDonalds does to someone who eats there regularly--it aint pretty.....

Just FYI too Orald, McDonalds is cheap, not pricey.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Off topic, but whenever I see this thread in the list under "The Prequels/Sequels", I always read it as "Apologies for New Dune".

Oh, if only that were the case ...

HBJ
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Hunchback Jack wrote:Off topic, but whenever I see this thread in the list under "The Prequels/Sequels", I always read it as "Apologies for New Dune".

Oh, if only that were the case ...

HBJ
lol.. me too! But I keep thinking of it in the same way as Christian apologetics.
orald

Post by orald »

Tleilax Master B wrote:Ever seen the movie Super Size Me? Watch that and you'll see what McDonalds does to someone who eats there regularly--it aint pretty.....
I hear that movie is about as objective as a Michael Moore propoganda special. :roll:
I know what happens when one eas lots of fatty foods and without fruits etc.
Just FYI too Orald, McDonalds is cheap, not pricey.
Maybe just here then. I mean, a falafel dish etc costs at least half or even less than half AFAIK.

A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

mmmmm... Falafel.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Supersize Me is not objective at all, but that's the point. He eats nothing but McDonalds for 30 days and it damn near kills him.
~Pink Snowman
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

orald wrote:
Tleilax Master B wrote:Ever seen the movie Super Size Me? Watch that and you'll see what McDonalds does to someone who eats there regularly--it aint pretty.....
I hear that movie is about as objective as a Michael Moore propoganda special. :roll:
I know what happens when one eas lots of fatty foods and without fruits etc.
I haven't seen the entire movie, but I know he has to eat every item on the menu at least once, in a sort of balanced way.

The point is that there's no way eating McDonald's can be healthy for you.

And, that movie helped. The last few times I've been to McDonald's, they've put a lot of effort into improving their menu and image. It's nice to walk into a clean restaurant and actually get to eat a half-decent burger for a good price. It's still not the best thing in the world(or even close, it still kind of sucks, but that's expected of fast food), but I think it's gotten at least a tiny bit better. Any improvement is better than nothing.
orald

Post by orald »

CLEAN SWEET CLEAN BRIGHT CLEAN PURE CLEAN:Harkonnen::Norma stops lasgun explosions with her latent prescience, narf!:KJA.
AToE wrote:mmmmm... Falafel.
And that's just humus grains, when there's meat(shuarma etc) it's way better! :D

Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Mmm ... shuarma.

We've got a great Shuama place just near where I work. Tasty.

HBJ,
hasn't had lunch yet.