About Norma and Omnius

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Damned ninja.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Thanks very much for the quote. Very interesting, indeed.

Pesumably, this means that lasguns bolts are a coherant beam of light from gun to target?

HBJ
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Hunchback Jack wrote:Thanks very much for the quote. Very interesting, indeed.

Pesumably, this means that lasguns bolts are a coherant beam of light from gun to target?

HBJ
Yes, see Heretics of Dune when Teg mows down Face Dancers, trees, glowglobes, etc. by sweeping the beam back and forth down the slope of the hill, or later when Taraza is cut in half

...or in Dune, after Paul breached the Shield Wall with the Family Atomics, he yells at the Fremen for using lasguns to cut up fallen debris.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

HBJ
Sorry if I'm missing something obvious, but what's the other option for a laser?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:

HBJ
Sorry if I'm missing something obvious, but what's the other option for a laser?
A bolt, like in SW?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Tleilax Master B

Post by Tleilax Master B »

HBJ
Short bursts. He means, a continuous beam with no break or interruption until the trigger (or whatever) is released. Like a firehose.
A Thing of Eternity

Freakzilla wrote:

HBJ
A bolt, like in SW?
Oh... a light bolt traveling slower than light? Not very SF for my tastes, but then again, I barely even consider SW SF.

EDIT:
Tleilax Master B wrote:

HBJ
Short bursts. He means, a continuous beam with no break or interruption until the trigger (or whatever) is released. Like a firehose.
Oh. Even if it was just a really short burst there would still be a coherant beam back to the gun unless it was very, very short, or the target was very, very distant.

I get it now though. :D
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Just like modern military rifles, I'm sure you could choose the length of the burn the way you can choose between full auto/burst or semi-auto.
~Pink Snowman
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:Sorry if I'm missing something obvious, but what's the other option for a laser?
Actually, lasers are coherent by definition.

:?
A Thing of Eternity

Phaedrus wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:Sorry if I'm missing something obvious, but what's the other option for a laser?
Actually, lasers are coherent by definition.

:?
That's my point.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Yeah, sorry, I meant a continuous beam of light, as opposed to star-wars-like bolts of light that separate from the gun before hitting the target.

HBJ
orald

Post by orald »

Freak, I don't think you could make a short enough burst that'll end and clear the gun before hitting the target in a system that shoots laser beams(speed of light and all) unless used in great distances, surely not the typical sub/light-MG ranges that lasguns seem to be used at.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

The target would have to be over 300,000 km away (about 80% of the distance from the Earth to the Moon) and the burst duration (much?) less than 1000 milliseconds to see something like the SW or other show/movie energy weapon bolt effect (if then?).

As Orald points out, that's WAY farther than the interactions we have descriptions of, so...

BOOM! (maybe)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

You'd also need a much more focused laser.

(Not very scientific terminology, but I've been learning computer stuffs all day, don't hate.)