My Sandworms Review (spoilers)

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Illogical Banana

Post by Illogical Banana »

Were there really any themes to this book?

The only one I can remember thinking of is: Humanity is doomed unless some sort of god and/or superhero intervene. Which I think goes against the originals' themes of the human potential and so on. I'm sure people could try to argue that the God Emperor goes along with that theme, but in my opinion, they're completely different.

Any thoughts? Thanks~
“But what is the good of friendship if one cannot say exactly what one means? Anybody can say charming things and try to please and to flatter, but a true friend always says unpleasant things, and does not mind giving pain. Indeed, if he is a really true friend he prefers it, for he knows that then he is doing good.” -Oscar Wilde
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

My thought is... yup. That about sums it up.
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

Quote:
Leto II's vision of the Golden Path had fragmented humanity so that they no longer followed a single charismatic leader, and now Murbella had to repair that damage. Diversity might once have been a path to survival, but unless the numerous worlds and armies could stand together against the far greater foe, they would all perish.

Now they’re saying that the golden path was a mistake? I’ll let that one slide since the obviously didn’t grasp what the golden path was. One galaxy? Did they even read FH’s books? I’m okay with “tearing down a character later” as Byron has said Frank liked to do, but they clearly don’t understand that the scattering sent people OUT OF THE GALAXY SO FAR THAT EVEN THE AUTHORS DON’T KNOW ABOUT IT. Golden Path worked remarkably well if it accomplished even that!
I fucking flipped with this one. i was at the begining accepting what B&K were writting in the prequels, i noticed the inconsistencies and i accepted very well the fact that they werent as good as FH in terms of writting. But as i was reading hunters i started to think "what the hell happened? This is like really bad anime fan fiction! What's gotten into them?" then the way the story was going and how they were portraing the characters was just too much. Acting rightoughslly that this is the EPIC GRAND FINALE that Frank Herbert envisioned is not only wrongly presumptious but also throwing sand into the readers eyes. Brian Herbert said that he didnt want to writte Dune 7, well it seems like KJA did is brainwashing flip trick and got his way. It shouldnt have been done since they got it's philosophy wrong (and by they and mainly refer to KJA) but took advantage of something that was already done and loved by many to capitalise on it and make the huge bucks, posting Dune in huge letters and fooling everyone else into believing it was dune, especially since the prequels and sequels all cost more than the original novels.
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Seraphan wrote:
Quote:
Leto II's vision of the Golden Path had fragmented humanity so that they no longer followed a single charismatic leader, and now Murbella had to repair that damage.
I fucking flipped with this one.
Me, too. I was also trying to cut them some slack canon- and writing-wise, up until about that point. As soon as I read the word "damage" and the tripe that came after it, I immediately thought:

1) "Wow, you guys (KJA and BH) didn't read GEoD, did you?"

2) "Even if you read it, you didn't understand it at all, did you?"

3) ... which means that didn't understand what made that book so *great*.

HBJ
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

I think there was a part in sandworms in wich Leto II says to Sheeana something about being young at the time and foolish, can someone post that part? I'd like to see them excusing that pearl.
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
Lundse

Post by Lundse »

Hunchback Jack wrote:
Seraphan wrote:
Quote:
Leto II's vision of the Golden Path had fragmented humanity so that they no longer followed a single charismatic leader, and now Murbella had to repair that damage.
Me, too.
Ditto. This is the smoking gun, as far as I am concerned.

It is kind of sad, really. Frank must have spend too much time writing; either he did not teach his son the very lessons he was able to impart on so many others, or he did not teach him common honesty and decency...
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

Lundse wrote:
Hunchback Jack wrote:
Seraphan wrote:
Quote:
Me, too.
Ditto. This is the smoking gun, as far as I am concerned.

It is kind of sad, really. Frank must have spend too much time writing; either he did not teach his son the very lessons he was able to impart on so many others, or he did not teach him common honesty and decency...
The writing was more about healing a father/son relationship than preparing Brian for a career as a writer wasn't it?
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
dunaddict

Post by dunaddict »

Hi, this is my first post here. I've been a long time lurker, but after finishing 'Sandworms of Dune' yesterday, I just had to blow off some steam. This book does that to people you know. After 'Hunters of Dune' I was already grinding my teeth in anger, but this book put me over the edge.

I made a list of things that really, REALLY annoyed me. Most of those were already mentioned by A Thing of Eternity, so I will only keep the stuff that ATOE missed. (or blissfully blocked out)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
First the things I liked about the book.

- The discovery of Qelso. I always wondered if some BG made it.
- Paolo gets locked into an eternal vision. Well done.
- The worms on Rakis hibernated, because the pearl of Leto's consciousness gave them some sort of survival instinct. I liked this, completely destroying dune felt wrong somehow.
- Erasmus wanting to experience death. However, this felt 'borrowed' from Asimov's Bicentennial Man.
- Because of the short 'chapters', it was over quickly.

Well, that's it really. Not much. Now for the bad stuff. Brace yourselves. I apologize for the length, but there are simply a lot of things wrong with this book. WARNING. THIS LIST IS FULL OF SPOILERS.
Last edited by dunaddict on 24 Sep 2008 15:21, edited 1 time in total.
dunaddict

Post by dunaddict »

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The New Sisterhood. From 'Chapterhouse Dune' I got the impression that the Bene Gesserit were planning to 'absorb' the Honoured Matres. Gradually, after many years, the whores would realize they had become real Bene Gesserits, like Murbella.
But in Hunters and Sandworms, all the women (including Murbella) are agressive, murdering bitches, worse than the original Honoured Matres!!! In this book, fortunately, Murbella's body count doesn't reach three digits.

The Gholas. Nobody seems to know WHY they were created. For some vague 'part they have to play'. Their special 'abilities'. Or even 'Sheeana's fascination with the ghola-project'.
Their real purpose of course is sentimental; to make this a Real 'DUNE' book. Frank Herbert may have intented to bring back some gholas from Scytale's cell-tube, but I don't think he would have resurrected the entire cast of Dune. This is Ghola overkill.

The new sisterhood sends out a dozen fake Sheeana's to 'rally the troops'. Then it is forgotten completely and the 'Sheeana religion' is never mentioned again until the very end when Sheeana basicly says to Murbella; 'I don't want to be a prophet, I'm staying here'.
It ruins all the hints in 'Chapterhouse Dune' that Sheeana is mysterious and very special.

There is a saboteur aboard the Ithaca. Who could it be?
What should have been an interesting whodunnit story, is spoiled by some not-so-subtle hints. We are told several times that Hawat and the Rabbi smell weird. After Scytale notices this, he even uses his facedancer-whistle on the Rabbi.
Now if the reader still doesn't know WHO the saboteurs are, he/she is just as dumb as the entire crew of the Ithaca.
This, together with the endless plot-summaries and repetitions, proves that BH/KJA think readers are Stoo-pid.

More facedancer sillyness. Murbella has to deal with Shayama Sen, a stubborn Ix-representative. She tests him with a magic facedancer test. He's no facedancer, phew!
Then, several chapters later, he's no longer stubborn. A very nice cooperative guy...
Suspicious, don't you think? What does Murbella make of this: She thinks he's seen the light!!! She does not for one moment suspect a facedancer! Oh my gawd!

Facedancer Rabbi talks Ghola Yueh into killing the axlotl tank and her baby. Now everyone suspects Yueh of being the Saboteur. Mission Accomplished for the Rabbi you would think.
But this facedancer must have had some bad-brain genes, because while Yueh is still imprisoned, he steals a bunch of mines!!!! Now why would he immediately ruin his own 'Ingenious Plan' to incriminate Yueh. It makes no sense.

Waff creates waterworms. As a test, he drops some of them off on an ocean-planet. He chooses Buzzell, a planet owned by.... the Bene Gesserit. Are there no other ocean-worlds in the universe? Stupid.
Later, he kills one of the waterworms and drags it on land; An island inhabited by... Bene Gesserits. The Bene Gesserit look on as Waff extracts a glob of Ultra-spice from the dead worm in a true BH/KJA-style gore-orgy. The BG are 'confused and powerless' and let Waff leave (covered in slime).
It takes these Intimidated BG's a while to tell Murbella that there might be spice-producing worms in their oceans. Of course Murbella doesn't care about free spice on one of their own planets and thinks it's something she might take a look at AFTER the war.
Oh boy, I think 'BG' stands for 'Brain Gone'. And the waterworms are forgotten for the remainder of the book. They were just plot devices to deliver a glob of goo to an evil dwarf with a god-complex.

Waff delivers the glob of Ultra-spice to Edrik the Navigator, because the Guild-Navigators are in dire need of spice. But before Edrik can inform the secret Navigator-meeting and Norma about the new waterworm Spice-supply, he gets killed by Khrone and his cronies.
But later, the complete Navigator fleet comes to to Murbella's rescue, apparently in good health. Where did they get their spice from?

'A Thing of Eternity' already mentioned that the 'Waff on Rakis' plotline is completely pointless, since his experiments with the armoured worms fail.
But wait, there's more to it. On Rakis, he also meets a bunch of spice-robbers that are generally ill-mannered but let Waff do his work anyway. Why are they in the story then you ask? I'll give you the answer: They end up as worm-food, just like Waff. Only Waff gets eaten by another worm. Original Eh?
Now we have 'Pointless plots, within pointless plots'. Very Dunish, I admit.

After Sister Accadia's 'No shit sherlock' prediction that after the plague, the machine attack was imminent.....it took the damned machines 200 pages to arrive. Murbella even had time to build up an entire fleet. Dumb robots....

Chapterhouse is infected. But there is a science station called Shakkad in the middle of the desert that is so remote, it doesn't get infected by the plague.
Ok........And? How is this relevant to the plot? This science station serves no purpose at all and is not mentioned again. Useless 'plot'line.

Duncan hides inside the no-ship for twenty years, because he doesn't want the Enemy(tm) to find him. Then on Qelso, he suddenly decides he doesn't want to hide anymore. He wants to help his poor buddies, who let themselves get captured by a bunch of commandos even though they possess superhuman abilities.....
He says it's because he no longer wants to sit on his a$$, but in reality it is just a plot device for Norma to find him. .

Oh no, the Machines have detected the Ithaca and that evil facedancer has destroyed the engines! With only moments before the machines capture the ship, Teg comes to the rescue. He speeds up and repairs the ship within seconds. But he has given too much of himself to save his friends.... and dies. Wow, a hero's death!!!!......
Actually no. Because the machines capture the Ithaca anyway. Funny stuff don't you think? He died because the plot required another ghola to die.
It reminds me of the pointless death of Hecate in the 'Legends of Dune' series, or Rabban's mysteriously aborted attack on a fleet of ships on some planet in one of the 'House' books.

The machines have captured the Ithaca and put her down on Synchrony. Duncan says to Sheeana; 'We should gather everyone on the ship to prepare our defence. 'What defence' 'Everything we can think of'.
I expected some kind of resistance movement inside the no-ship, but what happens next; Ghola Baron strolls into the ship, sees Alia, stabs her to death, and leaves. Duncan and Sheeana watch this unfold like sheep and let the Baron leave again. Great work Duncan!

Which brings me to Alia's death. Another pointless killing. The only reason for the scene, apparently, was to get 'St. Alia of the Knife' killed with a knife... by the baron. Two 'ironies' in one, so to speak. Because these two writers love 'ironies'. They always follow the same recipe; Take some character or event from the original dune books and turn them around. Kewl eh? NO!!!
-The Baron has to tutor Paul
-The Baron has to live on Caladan
-Baron has Alia's voice inside his head
-An Evil Paul Atreides
-Castle Caladan has been turned into a torture chamber
-Yueh kills the Baron
-Missionarira Agressiva
-The Baron is thin (House Atreides)
-The Atreides are bad, the Harkonnen good (Legends of Dune books)

When Ghola Baron walks away from his Evil deed, Erasmus enters the ship and sees the 'Van Gogh' painting in Sheeana's quarters. He tells her it is not the original. HE painted it. He grabs the painting and like a drunken schizophrenic clown, he tears the thing into pieces and crushes the remains on the floor with his feet.......
Why. WHY? I am speechless. Whoever made this up is either sick, demented or an idiot.

Erasmus lets the two Pauls fight to the Death!!! Why? Because the winner is the real Kwisatz Haderach. Why? I don't know. Ask Erasmus.
Yes, Erasmus lets a potential Kwisatz Haderach die! Apparently he forgot that just a couple of chapters before, he was so happy to have two, because two are better than one. Oh well.

The fight is over! Evil Paolo wins the duel and is convinced he is the Ultimate Kwisatz Haderach. He eats the Ultra-spice to become all god-like. Why ultra-spice? Is regular spice not good enough? Must be because the original Paul drank the WATER OF LIFE to unlock his powers.

Murbella has deployed her fleet of ships. 100 groups!!! 100 ships in each group!!!..... to defend the ENTIRE 'old empire'. That must be how many lightyears?...Thousands? Millions? These writers have no idea how BIG the universe is.

The machines begin their attack on Murbella's fleet at Chapterhouse. Fortunately Norma's Guild Highliners come to the rescue and destroy the first wave of attacking ships. After the battle is over, we are told that the highliners also jump to the 99 other battle-locations to help them out there as well.
Those guildships sure are nice to have as friends... But really, it read like whoever wrote it was so into the Chapterhouse battle, that he forgot all about the other ships and fixed it later as an afterthought.

Leto II merges with the large 'Monarch' worm, Then, all the worms start to merge into one giant worm and dives into the ground. Sheeana knows that the worms will split up again underground and are moisture-resistant because of Leto.
I see four problems with this:
-How can worms split open and merge..... and not die while their organs spill out?
-Why merging into one big worm, when they will split up again underground? Pointless plot again.
-HOW does Sheeana know all this? I didn't know she was prescient?
-HOW does Leto make the worms moisture-resistant?

Duncan, in his Ultimate KH wisdom, commands that the machines, from now on, should live on the lifeless worlds and moons in the universe and the humans on the habitable planets, because they are so rare.
Yes, this sounds logical, but why didn't Omnius, the king of logic, think of that before he started a war?

Scytale, the Tleilaxu. Oh my. Tleilaxu hate Bene Gesserrit. Tleilaxu hate women.
And yet, in the end, Scytale chooses to settle on the new Bene Gesserit homeworld of all places! There he raises the gholas of the Tleilaxu-council members (who follow him like little ducklings) and teaches them to respect women and never ever ever abuse them again by turning them into tanks.
How sweet.... So the last Tleilaxu master, keeper of the holy faith, willingly abandons all hope of a new Bandalong and goes against thousands of years of belief and makes friends with filthy Powindah!!???? I think not.
The moment the council-members would regain their memories, they'd commit suicide AFTER they killed Scytale for his treason.

Paul and Chani choose to live on Rakis. They must be of the sentimental type, because who would want to live on a planet missing half of it's atmosphere? Qelso would be a much more logical place. Dune-like, worms, and their old buddies Liet and Stilgar live there! You can't ask for anything more...
I understand that the story needs closure on Rakis, but the logic is hard to find.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sure there's more, but what can I say. This is not the ending of the dune saga I was waiting for. :?
A Thing of Eternity

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Nicely done, welcome to the club! A pleasure to read, even though I did see a few repeats from mine they were definitely the kinds of mistakes that bear repeating again and again! You also hit on one of my all time favorite fuckups from this book, but let me add a couple items and comments to it below.
Leto II merges with the large 'Monarch' worm, Then, all the worms start to merge into one giant worm and dives into the ground. Sheeana knows that the worms will split up again underground and are moistury-resistant because of leto.
I see four problems with this:
How can worms split open and merge..... and not die while their organs spill out?
I'm sure they can whip up some BS explanation for this, but yes I agree with you.
Why merging into one big worm, when they will split up again underground? Pointless plot again.
I actually missed that the worms were going to "unmerge" nice catch, that is totally pointless SciFi porn!
HOW does Sheeana know all this? I didn't know she was prescient?
Good call.
HOW does Leto make the worms moisture-resistant?
Forget HOW does he make them resistant, though that is a very good point - here's the real question - WHY the hell would that help the worms/be a good thing? If they're water resistant they won't come apart into sandtrout and the cycle will end. For the cycle to start on a wet planet the worms need to be NOT resistant to water and split into sandtrout - THE IDIOT AUTHORS COMEPLETELY GOT THIS BACKWARDS.

Also, there is the size issue which they totally messed up, but I'm sure everyone is sick of me talking about that one so I'll be quiet for now.
dunaddict

Post by dunaddict »

Thanks. here's another one from your list.
Waff knew exactly where he was going. Before coming to Rakis, he had dug up the old charts, and because the Honored Matres' Obliterators had altered even the planetary magnetic field, he had carefully recalibrated his maps from orbit.

What does the polarity of the magnetic fields have to do with a map of the planet? At worst your compass might point in the wrong direction, but the north and south poles are still pointing in the original directions relative to the solar plane. Pointless, poorly thought out techno babble.
I can't remember exactly, but wasn't the obliterator a surface weapon? Like an atom bomb?
If so, it can't possibly alter the magnetic field. A magnetic field is created deep inside a planet, when the metallic core is rotating at a different speed than the mantle.
A Thing of Eternity

dunaddict wrote:Thanks. here's another one from your list.
Waff knew exactly where he was going. Before coming to Rakis, he had dug up the old charts, and because the Honored Matres' Obliterators had altered even the planetary magnetic field, he had carefully recalibrated his maps from orbit.

What does the polarity of the magnetic fields have to do with a map of the planet? At worst your compass might point in the wrong direction, but the north and south poles are still pointing in the original directions relative to the solar plane. Pointless, poorly thought out techno babble.
I can't remember exactly, but wasn't the obliterator a surface weapon? Like an atom bomb?
If so, it can't possibly alter the magnetic field. A magnetic field is created deep inside a planet, when the metallic core is rotating at a different speed than the mantle.
It's painful trying to make sense of the "science" in a KJABH book (or even trying to make sense of what they were thinking). I really don't even know why they throw stuff like this in, which has zero effect on the plot and characters, but is obviously going to get them in trouble with credibility...
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
dunaddict wrote:Thanks. here's another one from your list.

It's painful trying to make sense of the "science" in a KJABH book (or even trying to make sense of what they were thinking). I really don't even know why they throw stuff like this in, which has zero effect on the plot and characters, but is obviously going to get them in trouble with credibility...
It depends on how accurate you have to be with your compass, how big your target destination is and how far away.

Speaking from experience as a US Army Cavalry Scout, using a compass, protractor and map for land navigation, a few degrees can make a big difference over a several miles.

The magnet North wanders on the earth over time. At one time it could be in Canada, another, in Russia. If we're talking about the poles reversing I imagine the error could be quite large. In my geographic area, the magnetic North is 4 degrees off of true North. Depending on where you are in the world, you have to adjust for that.

But you don't have to be as accurate if you're going from one mountain range to another as if you were going from one tree to another.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
dunaddict

Post by dunaddict »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
His faith swelled again, and he saw that his insignificant efforts on Rakis had never mattered. Regardless of how hard he had worked with the sandtrout, trying to seed these dead dunes with enhanced worms, God had His own plans - always His own plans.
That pretty much sums up the theme of this novel. Nothing you do matters, god has the final say. This is what happens when you let a scientologist write in a universe that has a record of talking about religion. As a matter of fact, they repeatedly give the tone that religion is good throughout this book, subtly and not so subtly. I don’t think they quite got what Frank’s opinion was of systems, especially religions systems.
Not only in Sandworms:

In 'House Atreides' the pregnant Gaius Helen Mohiam descends to the surface of Wallach IX in a shuttle piloted by a robot (yes, a robot). This 'robopilot' malfunctions and the craft performs some wild maneuvers. Helen almost panics and thinks to herself:

"What if there is a higher power behind this. Are the Bene Gesserit playing God with the breeding program? Could there be (in spite of the Bene Gesserit scepticism regarding religion) a real God? That would be a cruel joke."

How did Mohiam ever become a Reverend Mother? This is heresy for a BG.
Anyway, she lands safely. Good for her.

As a sidenote, it is obvious that the writers included a robotpilot because they didn't know how else to create an interesting trip down. They explained away the obvious Butlerian Jihad error by saying "the robot didn't look like a human". Once again their own silly ideas take precedence over established Canon.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Thou shalt not create a robot in the image of...a sidedish?

No, wait, sorry...I meant, a human?

Yeah, that's what FH meant. :roll:

Welcome, Addict! :D
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

SandChigger wrote:Thou shalt not create a robot in the image of...a sidedish?

No, wait, sorry...I meant, a human?

Yeah, that's what FH meant. :roll:

Welcome, Addict! :D
Ahhh, the side dish agrument! Did anyone ever save any of that? We should at least summarize and post it here. Was that Crysknife? Where have he and B been lately?
The Sons of Idaho

Post by The Sons of Idaho »

Nekhrun wrote: Ahhh, the side dish agrument! Did anyone ever save any of that? We should at least summarize and post it here. Was that Crysknife? Where have he and B been lately?
Sidedish?
How simple things were when our messiah was only a dream...
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

The Sons of Idaho wrote:
Nekhrun wrote: Ahhh, the side dish agrument! Did anyone ever save any of that? We should at least summarize and post it here. Was that Crysknife? Where have he and B been lately?
Sidedish?
I'll have to think about it a little more to remember the whole thing, but it had something to do with The Butlerian Jihad and maybe a Runaway Train.

It went something like, "Thou shalt not make a potato in the likeness of a side dish."

Am I close on that? Anyone remember more?
A Thing of Eternity

:lol: Oh, I hope someone saved that!

Back to the point, yes, they screw many things up. The really sad part is I think they may have convinced themselves that they don't screw things up. :?
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

More deletions:

Last night, I signed off and there were 15 reviews that averaged 3.0 stars.

This morning, there are 13 reviews that average 3.5 stars.

Byron, HLP, and TOR: you are pathetic. You actually have to lie to make your shit books look better.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
A Thing of Eternity

Re:

PLEASE DISREGARD THIS BUMPED THREAD, I BUMPED IT BY ACCIDENT. PLEASE SEE MY NEW THREADS.