Jehanne Butler???

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Various materials donated by Frank Herbert to Willis McNelly and archived at the collection at McNelly's university.
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

Lisan Al-Gaib wrote:Sorry, but what is Fullerton archives?
Brian said a it's a secret :wink:
Last edited by Mr. Teg on 05 Oct 2008 08:49, edited 1 time in total.
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

I still dont understand how something (Dune Encyclopedia) that was created by the universe / books author could be de-canonized (or whatever it is) just by a partnetship.
trang

Post by trang »

I wonder is there a Internet Video version of the collection at the university?

Is it on public display or publically accessable?

If public, might be worth a trip to see it, at least in my mind, closest thing to a central core of FH, thats not under HLP control.

The ultimate resolve?

1.a public debunking of the HLP, New Dune, BH and KJA??

2. Brian collection of so called notes pry'd away and placed under control of the Fullerton collection??

3. Them civily sued by McNeily representatives for Intellectual theft, damages being portion of monies earned to be donated to the Fullerton collection?

A Banner day for OHers that would be!!!

Trang
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

dunaddict wrote:Ok, I checked out House Atreides - UK edition. No mention of Jehanne Butler. Maybe the US and UK editions are the same. Ok, who wants to spend some money on a German or French copy? :D
Serkanner, any luck with your quest?
I have tried to find online information about ways to contact him. I have send a message with a request to the Dutch publisher. Lets hope it will result in an address.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Ghost wrote:I still dont understand how something (Dune Encyclopedia) that was created by the universe / books author could be de-canonized (or whatever it is) just by a partnetship.
Um, The Dune Encyclopedia was written by McNelly and a whole slew of other contributors. There are rumors that Frank Herbert wrote a few of the articles, but NO REAL PROOF that I've ever heard of.

Herbert and McNelly were friends. The entire book is fan fiction. McNelly obviously had input from Herbert (he was given a copy of God Emperor before it was publicly available, for example), but as Herbert wrote in the dedication at the beginning, he retained the right to diverge from the contents of the DE in his own later writings. He approved the work, but did not declare it canonical, in other words.

It's interesting as an alternate view of the Duniverse (far more so than the crap version now being touted as canon by The Hacks Twain), but since it's not really possible in most cases to know whether something in it is Frank Herbert's idea or belongs to McNelly or some other writer, most people don't take it as canon.

This issue of Jehanne Butler and her aborted baby is a perfect example. It was McNelly's creation, not FH's. It appears FH was considering writing a BJ book, but whether he would have gone with the "Oh Miss Jehanne, dee machine done popped yor baby!" version is anyone's guess. (He does specifically mention that name in the dedication, btw.)

I personally find the idea of a dead baby as the catalyst of the Jihad rather silly. Maybe in a city or country or even a whole planet, but not across a vast Human/Machine ConSentiency of over 13,000 planets.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Ive read that note before. I don't think that we will ever find an "early K&B manuscript" and even if we did find a box, I'm sure that going through it would be damaging to our health.

But I would like one day to put together a list of the surviving contributors to the DE and interview them all on this issue, and others. A good number of them are SF scholars now and have multiple connections to the old and new works. If anybody was willing to spill the dirt, I would be that we could find some gems there.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

SandChigger wrote:Various materials donated by Frank Herbert to Willis McNelly and archived at the collection at McNelly's university.
Ok, i didnt know about that, although i wish someone had told me. They seem to be more than worth to be checked out. Any possibility?
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Teg and Omph know more about the details than I do. I think Teg has mentioned that the collection is only open for about three or four hours a day.

He was also saying something on the phone yesterday about Theresa Shackleford (FH's last wife) having donated 36 boxes of additional materials after FH died.

(A curious note in connection with her: Kevin's new blawg on MySpace includes this:
I had dinner with Theresa, Frank Herbert's widow, who drove 90 minutes to join me for conversation; I had met her once before, and it was great to get to know her better before the evening signing.
So she no longer lives in Washington, but within 90 minutes of Nashville. If I remember correctly, she is a member of the HLP. Geographic spread maybe has something to do with their organizational failure to exercise editorial control?)