"New Canon" inconsistencies....

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Spicelon

Re: "New Canon" inconsistencies....

Post by Spicelon »

I can safely say that approximately 99.5% of the people I interact with on daily basis, be they my wife, my coworkers, the coffee shop girls, friends, and so on, do not refer to any Asian person as Chinese. If anything, the opposite is true - it is beyond the scope and will of most Americans to identify the specific geographic source of one's appearance. Any person remotely resembling a person of Far East heredity is simply referred to as Asian. Which, in a different sort of way, is insulting as well.
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

:lol: Don't worry, I love all you guys (and girls).

It doesn't make me angry "as a Canadian" that 54% of Americans are ignorant of what exactly Canada is - if it was someone from any other major Western country, then I'd be worried. That 54% probably only knows the following "countries": America, Mexico (where those damned illigals come from), China (where all Asians come from), ____istan (they'd probably just insert some random prefix and hope it was right), Russia (commies), and Africa (where the black people should be shipped back to). The ones with a higher education probably know Japan (nuke testing ground and dirty ambushing basterds, how dare someone ambush someone else in a war?), France (freedom fries forever!), England (used to hate them, but now they help in wars) and Iraq (though again, they might think it's one of their states now). :lol:

It makes me angry/sad just as a person, because I hate to see people so hopelessly aware of the world around them in one of the world's most advanced countries.

EDIT: Sorry if that was offensive, just venting. I personally haven't met a single American I would consider any more ignorant than most Canadians, and I've met and work with a lot of Americans. My comments are only directed at idiots, and also apply to idiots from countries other than the USA, I'm well aware there are people like that everywhere. :D
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

Let's be honest here, American idiots seem to have an extra degree of idiotness about them, so it's all good. ;)
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
A Thing of Eternity

Spicelon wrote:I can safely say that approximately 99.5% of the people I interact with on daily basis, be they my wife, my coworkers, the coffee shop girls, friends, and so on, do not refer to any Asian person as Chinese. If anything, the opposite is true - it is beyond the scope and will of most Americans to identify the specific geographic source of one's appearance. Any person remotely resembling a person of Far East heredity is simply referred to as Asian. Which, in a different sort of way, is insulting as well.
I know, most of the people I know are the same way. Of course, I do live in one of Canada's worst areas for general ignorance (Oh, you're vegitarian? Would chicken be ok? ... I kid you not.). Back in Vancouver most people much more accurate, and would just ask a person what country they were from rather than make an assumption. I miss that place. :(
A Thing of Eternity

Spicelon wrote:Let's be honest here, American idiots seem to have an extra degree of idiotness about them, so it's all good. ;)
:shock: Man, I was trying to be nice, why'd you have to ruin it with the truth? :lol:

Seriously though, we have some good ones up here, real losers.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

The world is full of morons. They are everywhere. We just happen to have more than most because we have the world's third largest population. But my suspicion is that they are pretty much evenly distributed across regions. The worlds MPM* is the same everywhere.

* - "morons per million," or "morons per mile," as you require.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
A Thing of Eternity

True, plus your morons could just be louder.
reverendmotherQ.

Post by reverendmotherQ. »

I was born in Oklahoma, but yes, I was raised in the south after my rents were restationed from Germany.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Half my family is from Oklahoma, you have my sympathy.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

I was also born in Oklahoma, I might move back there someday.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

My granddad was an Okie, and my dad was adopted and raised there until he was moved to Japan.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I had family in NE Oklahoma when I was boy, been up in there a lot.

AToE:

Obnoxious Northerners are "Yankees" - "yankies" is a game played with girls behind the barn ...

the poll I cited was taken in my head as I typed the post - your mileage may vary ... or kilometreage or whatever
you people use to measure distance with ...

when I was a boy, Japanese were routinely called "Nips", because the government did.

all other "Orientals" were "chinks" - the war in Korea gave us "slopes" & "gooks", which carried
over to VietNam, where we added "zipperhead" & "dink" ...

Then, during the PC-era, we got good as just saying "Asian" when referring to the little yellow people,
but then the Paks & Indians & other assorted gundies started saying Hey, goddammit, we're
"Asian", too !
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

I got in a lot of trouble in NE Oklahoma, probably the most fun I ever had too. :)
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

worse ass-kicking I ever took was in a pool hall in Pyror, on highway 69, in 1977.

now they have this HUGE heavy-metal rock&roll festival there every year,
just can't imagine that....

last time I was up there was about five years ago at a re-enactment of the Cabin Creek Battle,
just south of Vinita ... I love that part of the country, northeast from Tulsa up to Joplin ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

SandRider wrote:I had family in NE Oklahoma when I was boy, been up in there a lot.

AToE:

Obnoxious Northerners are "Yankees" - "yankies" is a game played with girls behind the barn ...

the poll I cited was taken in my head as I typed the post - your mileage may vary ... or kilometreage or whatever
you people use to measure distance with ...

when I was a boy, Japanese were routinely called "Nips", because the government did.

all other "Orientals" were "chinks" - the war in Korea gave us "slopes" & "gooks", which carried
over to VietNam, where we added "zipperhead" & "dink" ...

Then, during the PC-era, we got good as just saying "Asian" when referring to the little yellow people,
but then the Paks & Indians & other assorted gundies started saying Hey, goddammit, we're
"Asian", too !
Dude, "Chinaman" is not the prefered nomenclature.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Ah, Your Dudeness is back. :)
Jodorowsky's Acolyte

Post by Jodorowsky's Acolyte »

Have you many Fremen warriors considered compiling a "New Canon" Inconsistencies CONCORDANCE, just so other scholarly DUNE fans could keep track of which inconsistencies the new Dune universe has with the old Dune universe, or is this an ongoing process?
'...all those who took part in the rise and fall of the Dune project learned how to fall one and one thousand times with savage obstinacy until learning how to stand. I remember my old father who, while dying happy, said to me: "My son, in my life, I triumphed because I learned how to fail."' -Alejandro Jodorowsky
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Jodorowsky's Acolyte wrote:Have you many Fremen warriors considered compiling a "New Canon" Inconsistencies CONCORDANCE, just so other scholarly DUNE fans could keep track of which inconsistencies the new Dune universe has with the old Dune universe, or is this an ongoing process?
viewtopic.php?p=429#p429" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Nekhrun wrote:
Jodorowsky's Acolyte wrote:Have you many Fremen warriors considered compiling a "New Canon" Inconsistencies CONCORDANCE, just so other scholarly DUNE fans could keep track of which inconsistencies the new Dune universe has with the old Dune universe, or is this an ongoing process?
viewtopic.php?p=429#p429" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you! :D
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:lol:

:shock:

Is this going to create a paradox, a self-referential loop that will eventually swallow the universe, kinda like dividing by zero... :?
dunaddict

Post by dunaddict »

Sooooo, haven't been here a while. Been reading a lot of other (non-Herbert) sf lately. Now I see our favorite duo have delivered a new masterpiece. I'm surprised they started yet another trilogy after that interquel debacle. Can they even write a 'novel' that stands on its own? Why does it always have to be a trilogy? Sigh...

Oh well, any new amusing inconsistencies in Sisterhood?
lotek

Post by lotek »

SandChigger wrote::lol:

:shock:

Is this going to create a paradox, a self-referential loop that will eventually swallow the universe, kinda like dividing by zero... :?
the snake bites its tail !

The End is Nigh !
Spice is the worm's gonads.
gurensan

Post by gurensan »

Oh well, any new amusing inconsistencies in Sisterhood?
Besides that it's been released? It took a while, but I managed to get through the rest of the garbage. I just can't stomach another one. Not until I've been back through the real thing another time.

'Ello. First post.

.. and wouldn't a "concordance of inconsistencies" be better called a "discordance?"

--G
If you fart in the wilderness, and a bear eats you before you can smell it, does it matter if it makes an odor?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

gurensan wrote:.. and wouldn't a "concordance of inconsistencies" be better called a "discordance?"

--G
:clap:
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:lol:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"