"New Canon" inconsistencies....

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Re: "New Canon" inconsistencies....

Post by SandChigger »

Hunchback Jack wrote:Um, what? When did the Water of Life become a healing agent? Why do they suddenly loathe Shaddam?
Well...

Ch.36. (193) Farad’n born on Salusa Secundus. Shaddam and Wensicia abusing Dalak, the father.* (Who turns out to be a cousin of Count Fenring? Of course, everyone is always related to everyone else in these books!)

Ch.59. (312) On Salusa Secundus, Shaddam accuses Dalak of theft. His own wife, Wensicia, shoots him with a dart gun when Garon hesitates to kill him. Shaddam decides to send daughter Rugi to “Great Surrender” ceremony.

Ch.71. (373) Garon on Tleilax; informs Fenring of Corrino murder of his cousin Dalak. More plods within plods within plods. Marie fights and kills 15 BT Sardaukar gholas single-handedly. In the dark. Fenring deems her ready for use.

My synopsis of the banquet scenes:

Ch.95. (488) Truly painful dinner scene. During stunning repartee, Marie drops some food and ducks under table to retrieve it. When she doesn’t reappear, Alia ducks under to see what she’s doing and Marie attacks. Fenrings release various toxic powders and gasses and attack. Alia eventually kills Marie by stabbing her in the back with the Shaddam dagger, which the Count had brought to table. Korba christens her “Saint Alia of the Knife”.* (Well THANK THE MAKER that I lived long enough to have that one explained! Sheesh!)

Ch.96. (497) Paul approaches the fallen girlchild and lowers his guard, sympathizing with the grieving Count. Taken aback when Margot reveals the identity of Marie’s father, he leaves himself open to attack by Fenring, who plunges the dagger into his chest.

Ch.97. (499) Paul collapses, Chani and Alia rush to his side, call for Suks. Chani hits on idea of giving him Water of Life to stop time (or at least his heart) and give the Suks time to repair the damage. Eventually his heart starts beating again and Irulan wonders, as she sheds tears of joy, if she ... loves him?! Paul recovers and Irulan sees Korba make off with the knife.

Ch.98. (505) Paul judges Fenrings and sentences them to exile with Shaddam on Salusa Secundus.

http://www.hairyticksofdune.net/synopses/syn_pod.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Xenu

Post by Xenu »

Now I realize why everyone's telling me to stay away from the new Dune books. :lol:
nampigai

Post by nampigai »

I know how you're feeling HBJ.
Ch.36. (193) Farad’n born on Salusa Secundus. Shaddam and Wensicia abusing Dalak, the father.* (Who turns out to be a cousin of Count Fenring? Of course, everyone is always related to everyone else in these books!)
I'm starting to think that KJA is a screenwriter for "Days of our lives!"
Do not be quick to reveal judgment. Hidden judgment is often more potent. It can guide reaction whose effects are felt only when too late to divert them.
- Bene Gesserit Advice to Postulants
MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

Hunchback Jack wrote:
[7] at a banquet with her visiting parents, six-year-old Marie and the Fenrings execute their well-planned assassination attempt on Paul.[8] Alia manages to kill Marie, but Margot's revelation of her daughter's paternity surprises Paul enough to allow Hasimir to stab him near-mortally.[8]
Wait a second. If Fenring could just stab Paul while his wife distracted him, *why didn't they just do that in the first place*??? Why go to all the trouble of training the kid as an assassin and having her do it?
Because an evil plan without unnecessary complications is not evil enough! :roll:
WHAT IF YOU NO LONGER HEAR THE MUSIC OF LIFE?
MEMORIES ARE NOT ENOUGH UNLESS THEY CALL YOU TO NOBLE PURPOSE!
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Marie is accepted into Paul's court as a playmate for his young sister Alia;
Also, why would Alia need a playmate her own age?
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

did Frank actually write that "St Alia of the Knife" was from her finishing off wounded Sardaukar after the battle of arrakeen ?
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

SandChigger wrote: Of course, everyone is always related to everyone else in these books!
There's George Lucas Syndrome for you. A universe with trillions upon trillions of people, but it turns out that all of the "important people" are somehow related. It's poor story-telling at its finest.

And we all know that everything is just Star Wars to "international best-seller" Kevin J. Anderson.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

TheDukester wrote:There's George Lucas Syndrome for you. A universe with trillions upon trillions of people, but it turns out that all of the "important people" are somehow related. It's poor story-telling at its finest.
Precisely. I don't know what I detest more in the new books, this or the childish moralizing KJA seems to think is good style.
WHAT IF YOU NO LONGER HEAR THE MUSIC OF LIFE?
MEMORIES ARE NOT ENOUGH UNLESS THEY CALL YOU TO NOBLE PURPOSE!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

(I'm not sure if he ever says it explicitly, SandRider!)

I've been working on my WoD synopsis for the website and the "one-product planet" bullshit has been on my mind again for the last day or so, so I thought I'd just throw it in here:

Frank Herbert mentions a "Balut crystal bottle" ONCE in six books, so for KJA Balut automatically becomes THE glass-producing planet of the Duniverse. Just like Chusuk ONLY produces musical instruments. Ix & Richesse are technology ONLY, etc etc etc. :roll:

Caladan and a few others have more diversified portfolios (wine, Pundi rice, antique whale fur, etc), but by and large it seems like each planet is known for ONE product and ONE PRODUCT ONLY.

The lack of imagination is depressing, but more important, in my opinion it robs the Duniverse of a bit of depth & realism.
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
reverendmotherQ.

Post by reverendmotherQ. »

SandChigger wrote:(I'm not sure if he ever says it explicitly, SandRider!)

I've been working on my WoD synopsis for the website and the "one-product planet" bullshit has been on my mind again for the last day or so, so I thought I'd just throw it in here:

Frank Herbert mentions a "Balut crystal bottle" ONCE in six books, so for KJA Balut automatically becomes THE glass-producing planet of the Duniverse. Just like Chusuk ONLY produces musical instruments. Ix & Richesse are technology ONLY, etc etc etc. :roll:

Caladan and a few others have more diversified portfolios (wine, Pundi rice, antique whale fur, etc), but by and large it seems like each planet is known for ONE product and ONE PRODUCT ONLY.

The lack of imagination is depressing, but more important, in my opinion it robs the Duniverse of a bit of depth & realism.
Agreed. KJA seems to have a depressing lack of ability to understand how macroeconomics works on earth even. Must have failed econ in college, other wise he would understand that all of a planets resources are to be taken advantage of in order to become economically successful.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

:angry-screaming: :angry-screaming: I FUCKING HATE MARIE FENRING :angry-screaming: :angry-screaming:

She is nothing more than a slap in the face of everything that is good and noble and intelligent. She is dumber as a super weapon than the Sun Crusher by at least a factor of ten. She is the twist of the blade that follows the utter shit that is the new books. I can never forgive her existence. May she die 1000 deaths! If there was ever anything that could actually pull someone's IQ into a negative number IT IS MARIE FENRING.

Sorry, its just that you guys mentioned her and I needed to reiterate yet again how I feel about THE MOST INTELLECTUALLY SAPPING THING HUMANITY(*) HAS EVER EVER CREATED.

*provided that KJA proves to be actually human.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Lundse

Post by Lundse »

SandChigger wrote:The lack of imagination is depressing, but more important, in my opinion it robs the Duniverse of a bit of depth & realism.
Indeed. It is a sad, sad version of 'Frank did that with Dune and spice, so obviously that is how his universe works'. No surprise here; KJA does not know the difference between setting a locale up to have a special status within a finely crafted world, and a general rule for that world.

reverendmotherQ. wrote:KJA seems to have a depressing lack of ability to understand how macroeconomics works on earth even. Must have failed econ in college, other wise he would understand that all of a planets resources are to be taken advantage of in order to become economically successful.
You know, I think he is just lazy and does ... not ... give ... a ... fuck. It is almost funny, how the blatant idiocy regarding planetary resources you mention is perpetrated in, of all things, the Dune universe.
nampigai

Post by nampigai »

I FUCKING HATE MARIE FENRING
I hate how they depict Count Fenring in the House series.
Do not be quick to reveal judgment. Hidden judgment is often more potent. It can guide reaction whose effects are felt only when too late to divert them.
lotek

Post by lotek »

you know what; i was kind of getting tired of hack virtual bashing but reading this topic has rekindled the flame!

this might have to do with the fact that i am gztting up for work and that i had to work 3 week ends in a row but who cares, my hate is back with a vengeance and i like it!
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Xenu

Post by Xenu »

reverendmotherQ. wrote: Agreed. KJA seems to have a depressing lack of ability to understand how macroeconomics works on earth even. Must have failed econ in college, other wise he would understand that all of a planets resources are to be taken advantage of in order to become economically successful.
The sad thing is one doesn't even need a college education to understand that, anyone with even a basic grasp of how economics and finances work knows that it's absolutely retarded to not use everything you can to your advantage.

Also, that's the spirit lotek! Let the hate flow freely!
lotek

Post by lotek »

yup my hate for hackery matches my love and respect for real writing and mind challenges :)

(that's a lot for both btw)
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I think its worse, I think its a sickening trend of people who are 'educated' just not needing to actually use their brain as a tool to survive. In that world, KJA is a great sci-fi writer.

In the real world, where people are evolving, we look at the great accomplishments of humanity done by people who use our god/evolution-given cerebellum and actually take time to think about something for more than the few seconds it takes our brain to calculate it. In this world that same KJA is a relentless self-promoting hack.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
lotek

Post by lotek »

and to make matters even worse when someone criticizes with rational and logical arguments the emptiness of these mcdunes they're called talifans like it's an answer...
Fucking idiots not able to reply in the same manner resort to kindergarden name calling, I mean we love Dune and we can explain why, all they do is spurt shit through their keyboards(to match spurting shit through a dicthiker maybe?)

hell that stupid pompous arse of a hack's got the audience he deserves, a pack of dimwits led by a moron!

Give me some fucking worthy opponent in verbal joust please!

I think this is just a vast alien conspiracy who have decided the best way to get rid of humanity is to make it become so fucking retarded it ultimately won't even be able to perform the simplest survival tasks and Earth will be ripe for the taking. On that day I will be there to welcome the bastards and I hope you Yanks will share your shotguns :)
reverendmotherQ.

Xenu wrote:
reverendmotherQ. wrote: Agreed. KJA seems to have a depressing lack of ability to understand how macroeconomics works on earth even. Must have failed econ in college, other wise he would understand that all of a planets resources are to be taken advantage of in order to become economically successful.
The sad thing is one doesn't even need a college education to understand that, anyone with even a basic grasp of how economics and finances work knows that it's absolutely retarded to not use everything you can to your advantage.

Also, that's the spirit lotek! Let the hate flow freely!
Double agreed. Economics is common sense and requires KJA to open his frakking eyes.
reverendmotherQ.

lotek wrote: I hope you Yanks will share your shotguns :)
Oh bring it! I will bring the revolver, the 22, the machine gun, and we can give one hell of show. I am not a yank btw, but I must be one in spirit.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Where are you from then? I'd made the assumption that you were in the US like most members here...oops!
nampigai

Post by nampigai »

there are yanks on this forum?
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:Where are you from then? I'd made the assumption that you were in the US like most members here...oops!

*sigh*

somehow, I feel like I've just plain failed with you ....

Miss rmQ is a Belle o' The South, and so would never refer to herself as a "yank" ....

the fact that the rest of the world refers to all Americans as "yanks" is more evidence
of your misunderstanding of this nation; much like American's thoughts of Canada, which
until the recent Olympics, 54% of polled Americans thought was another state, like Rhode
Island or Guam. Even with continued prompting from NBC personalities, this same 54%
after the Olympics still listed America's border countries as Mexico, Russia, and California;
100% of that 54% also answered "no, I don't give a fuck" when asked.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

SandRider wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:Where are you from then? I'd made the assumption that you were in the US like most members here...oops!

*sigh*

somehow, I feel like I've just plain failed with you ....

Miss rmQ is a Belle o' The South, and so would never refer to herself as a "yank" ....

the fact that the rest of the world refers to all Americans as "yanks" is more evidence
of your misunderstanding of this nation; much like American's thoughts of Canada, which
until the recent Olympics, 54% of polled Americans thought was another state, like Rhode
Island or Guam. Even with continued prompting from NBC personalities, this same 54%
after the Olympics still listed America's border countries as Mexico, Russia, and California;
100% of that 54% also answered "no, I don't give a fuck" when asked.

:lol: Don't worry, you haven't failed with me SR, I know that amongst Americans Yank only applies to some of you, as far as I know the side that wasn't The South (with Capitals of course :wink: ) is the Yankies (that correct?). I was just bugging her.

Buuuuut - the rest of the world calls you ALL yankies. Same way a lot of Americans (and Canadians to be fair) call all Asian people Chinese (which is worse), and call Indians Pakistani (which is worse). It's something Y'all will just have to live with. :D

I can't believe an entire 54% percent of you guys thought Canada was a state, man that's just shameful! That's orders of magnitude more fucked up than us all calling you Yanks! I wonder if that was just in one specifically uneducated area... I don't expect anyone to name our provinces or anything, I can't name all your states (you have too many!), but the level of knowledge many American seem to have about the outside world is just frightening. :(
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

Canada isn't a state?!

<ducks>
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.