Heroes of Dune predictions: What are you betting on?

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: Heroes of Dune predictions: What are you betting on?

Post by Freakzilla »

TheDukester wrote:
DuneFishUK wrote:Probably not a re-write... but extra chapters based on the notes (and "bridging the gaps") are possible.
Unspeakable.

(Let's not speak of it :hand: )

[Although you're probably right ...]
Although I couldn't think of anything more blasphemous... but I think they'd do it just to add contradictions.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

If that door ever truly does open, Spanky and Bobo will go sprinting through it.

For Bobo, it's the ultimate revenge on his father. End of story.

For Spanky, it's the ultimate fanboy wet dream and a gigantic ego trip all wrapped up in a single tidy package. Being in charge of all things Dune is old news by now ... but this would be where he shows the world how Dune should have been written** and where he etches his name into the annals of SF history!

** Eighteen action scenes added; much of that icky political stuff removed. Opening chapter re-written so that Duke Leto says, "You've never been off-world, have you? ... Oh, wait, except for all those Young Indiana Atreides adventures! What the fuck was I thinking?"
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Oh man, this was the evil vision I mentioned. Say it'll never happen! Even if you don't believe it, I need to!
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

"I drew my knife and slew twenty Sardaukar by my own hand."
..fix'd :roll: :(
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

There are gaps between the "books" in the first novel.

God help us.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Hunchback Jack wrote:There are gaps between the "books" in the first novel.

God help us.

HBJ
I was thinking about that yesterday. I think the biggest is between books 2 and 3?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Freakzilla wrote:

God help us.

HBJ
I was thinking about that yesterday. I think the biggest is between books 2 and 3?

These guys will never stop urinating on Gurney's character. If they do the unthinkable and try to write within DUNE, a lot of it will be Gurney's rise amongst the smugglers, during which he will kill a lot of people under circumstances that make him seem bloodthirsty, petty, and make us wonder why Duke Leto ever would've trusted him as a leader of men. They did it in Paul of Dune, and they'll do it in Throne of Dune and in The Amazing Worm Man's Golden Path of Dune.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Freakzilla wrote:

God help us.

HBJ
Yes. Book 2 follows on almost immediately from book 1. Book 3 is "almost two years" after the Harkonnen attack on Arrakis.
Frank Herbert, in Dune, Book III, wrote:The Baron scanned the faces around him, seeing the looks of frantic quiet in them. He returned his attention to Nefud, and spoke in a silken tone:
"How long have you been my guard captain, Nefud?"
Nefud swallowed. "Since Arrakis, my Lord. Almost two years."
Dare I speculate on "Dune: The Lost Years", by Keith Journeyman Hackerson and the Other Guy?

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Hunchback Jack wrote: Dare I speculate on "Dune: The Lost Years", by Keith Journeyman Hackerson and the Other Guy?
The Chronicles of Halleck. It would also feature lots of scenes of Muad'Dib killing people as he gets into the position to take on the Emperor. They like to fill in the gaps between the psychologically-interesting events with wordcount.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Lundse

Post by Lundse »

Next up:

The Naib of Dune to Stilgar of Dune
Slaughtering Sardukars and Harkonnens, and "musing" about Paul's rise to power back home. Also, disabling an Ixian no-globe-shielded-pseudo-ultra-KH-clone with some help from mysterious Muadru writings and a timely intervention from an oracle who never gives her name.

The Knives of Dune to Jamis of Sietch Tabr of Dune
Flashbacks to slaughtering Harkonnens as a child, seeing visions of some bint who claims he must give up his life for Pauls sake. More flashbacks - his family is wiped out by Ixian intelligent serrated hunter-seeker-swarms dipped in burning, acidic poison. Meeting Paul before any other fremen and setting the whole thing up. More flashbacks, killing a Fenring-clone. Being carried into an alternate dimension by Norma. Flashback to how he met Harah. Meeting Harah in the afterlife, reminiscing on how they met in a word-for-word repetition of the previous chapter.

Harah of Paul's Lodgings of Sietch Tabr of Dune to the Concubines of Dune volume I / XX
Cleaning house, throwing babies at Sardukars, trying to poison Chani, trying to seduce Paul, pretending to befriend Chani, sleeping with a scarred, Baliset-playing smuggler on the side, sleeping with Norma the mysterious travller from the desert, trying to really befriend (!) Chani, serving spice-coffee, befriending Jessica, befriending Alia-the-child-who-speaks-but-is-as-retarded-as-anyone, really befriending (!) Jessica until she sees Gurney arrive at the Sietch, trying to poison Gurney, serving more coffee, trying to poison Jessica, befriending Alia who is now suddenly eerily adult in the entirely wrong sense (!!!!), running of to set off the atomics to blast the shield wall when she notices someone forgot the Ixian tachyon-Mr.-Fusion-ignition-cables and running back home so noone would notice, finishing up the Baron who was not really dead from the poison, saving Chani from a hyper-worm born from a mutant Tleilax-mother-of-all-gods-what-were-they-thinking-please-god-kill-us-now-Axolotl-tank.

This is easy :-) I could make a fortune doing this!
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

That's actually a little horrifying.

HBJ
- Carl Sagan

- Iain Banks
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

I think I vomited a little after reading that, Lundse.
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

INSPIRED! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"