Dune Novels

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I need a picture of KJA in a turban, isn't their one somewhere?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

It really bugs me that they use a plot point from one of the books they are yet to write as an important factor in these books. Like there couldn't have been thousands of opportunities to get Paul's cells during one of the scenes from the original books.

"Oh, cool! I must buy Paul of Dune so I can see Fenring's attempt to kill Paul, tying the whole thing together!"

I don't think so.

HBJ
LiquidBlue

Post by LiquidBlue »

Pertinent observation, HBJ :) It isn't like Paul actually went out into battle with anyone during the Dune or Dune Messiah, or, I don't know...wore clothes (I believe when we first learn about the cells in the nullentropy tube in CH:D Scytale mentions painstakingly going through clothing for cells) At least they thought enough to make the assassin prescient...for whatever thats worth...
Some never participate. Life happens to them. They get by on little more than dumb persistence and resist with anger or violence all things that might lift them out of resentment-filled illusions of security.
-Alma Mavis Taraza

"Glory or insanity awaits" -- Rimmer
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

OH dear lord.. they just keep getting dumber. Fenring is evil now? I guess there aren't any characters from the originals that they won't tear down.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Freakzilla wrote:I need a picture of KJA in a turban, isn't their one somewhere?
I cant look at it from my work computer, but IIRC you can find that pic at the uncyclopedia entry for KJA, or talifan or something.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Ooh...she slams with quotes. ... That's so hot. :lol:

(Mandy...you didn't read Grunters or Sadworms, right? I keep forgetting that. :( )

The Talifan with the bomb with the lit fuse in his turban should be on Kevin's page over there; haven't looked for a while, though.

The whole "knife from something that will happen in our next prequel" (from the PoV of Grunters it's a prequel...unless Byron has a different way of referring to it. :roll: )...um, that would be an example of...oh, what's the term the PSIs are so hot about lately...foreshadowing? :roll:

That or another perfect example of the application of some concept from Greek mythology. :roll:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

SandChigger wrote: (Mandy...you didn't read Grunters or Sadworms, right? I keep forgetting that. :( )
Nope, and every time I read threads about the prequels and sequels I get little shocks of pure horror. :P

I find it so hard to believe that they are the BIGGEST DUNE FANS EVAR, and they just didn't get it.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

SandChigger wrote:The whole "knife from something that will happen in our next prequel" (from the PoV of Grunters it's a prequel...unless Byron has a different way of referring to it. :roll: )...um, that would be an example of...oh, what's the term the PSIs are so hot about lately...foreshadowing? :roll:
From now on I'm calling the Heroes books "unquels", because a) strictly speaking, they fall in-between the original novels, and "interquel" isn't english and b) I'm ignoring them completely.

Except to bitch and moan about their existence, of course :).

Does it still count as "foreshadowing" if no suspense is generated?

HBJ
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

That's not KJA, I want a picture of him with a turban.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
LiquidBlue

Post by LiquidBlue »

I don't think that shameless plug even gets the title of a nice literary term...I believe forshadowing is supposed to be subtle, as in, not glaringly obvious, as in, not spelling out exactlly what will take place in PoD...as in, something KJABH don't seem competent enough to write...

Seriously, I'm trying to reread HuoD right now and I read maybe 5 pages, lose interest in whats happening and do something else. It took me less time to reread HoD and CH:D and I'm still not done with HuoD...they're bad...bad bad...

(I typed that quote myself too :) No PDF books for me! LoL )
Some never participate. Life happens to them. They get by on little more than dumb persistence and resist with anger or violence all things that might lift them out of resentment-filled illusions of security.
-Alma Mavis Taraza

"Glory or insanity awaits" -- Rimmer
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Ooh...even HOTTER! :lol:

Hey, HBJ, at the risk of setting Spicelon off, how about unchiquels as a term for them, unchi being the Japanese word for ... "poopy".

Or even ... poopquels. Yeah...that kinda works, too. :D
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

LB, yeah, it's a bit of a slog in places. There's a dead patch in the middle where the authors just keep "checking in" with the various groups of people they're writing about until enough years have gone by for something to happen.

Chig: LOL. Yeah, either of those would work. Or maybe "antiquels" (ant-eek-qwells).

HBJ
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Why not just call them turds?
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

chanilover wrote:Why not just call them turds?
Seconded!
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
orald

Post by orald »

I have a little problem with the term "forshadow" here.
Isn't it for something I say in the past or present that'll happen in the future?

This is going backwards.

So are they back-forshadowing? Forshadowing-back(wards)?
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
trang

Post by trang »

I would use the term "wedgy" as they are jamming them inbetween the Originals and I think your gonna feel like you have had your shorts pulled up and over your head after reading them (added to the eye and brain damage they cause).

I think I might have to get on one of those nintendo DS things and practice the the mental games before reading any of the new books. Maybe I can increase my brain power just enough so the loss from reading them will balance out.

Or maybe a giant emergency seringe, filled with HGH or some Mental Steriod to shock my brain back to normal.

Trang
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

trang wrote:I would use the term "wedgy".
:D And with that single word you have done more for the OH cause than I could ever hope to. Nice work.
KJA

Post by KJA »

BH wrote:Up in WA the HLP has a fleet of limos on call 24 hours a day, so I do'not have to pump gas anymore.
Butt your pumping days ain't over, yet.
"The harder I work, the luckier I get."
BH

Post by BH »

KJA wrote:
BH wrote:Up in WA the HLP has a fleet of limos on call 24 hours a day, so I do'not have to pump gas anymore.
What part of "you'are fired" do you not understand? I'have had it with your mouthiness, and yes, I mean in that way too. If you steal one more of my granddaddy's ideas for your shitty Seventh Seal books I'am gonna sue your ass!
The Mutati are NOT facedancers! They are TOTALLY different! Can'you'not see that?
KJA

Post by KJA »

BH wrote:
KJA wrote:
What part of "you'are fired" do you not understand? I'have had it with your mouthiness, and yes, I mean in that way too. If you steal one more of my granddaddy's ideas for your shitty Seventh Seal books I'am gonna sue your ass!
Sue! Damnit Byron, stop using Brian's laptop...
Oh, sue my ass. Hehe, code! I get it.
"The harder I work, the luckier I get."
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

It's getting kinda boring now.
orald

Post by orald »

Just now?
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Nah.. just decided to mention it.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

So, I just finished Hunters a few days back, and I'm about 100 pages into Sandworms (Hodder PB), and I must say that this board is way more entertaining than either of them.

HBJ
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Hey, Thang!

Did Byron delete a few posts from your Sag of Seven Suns discussion with Simon over there? (The dates jump from June 15 to June 22, and Simon starts up again with "That's a bit unfair....")

:?

(This is why you don't commit content to any site that doesn't respect you.)