• Register
  • Login
  •          

    Norma-Sue Cenva

    Image
      Abandon all sanity ye who enter here

    Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

    Norma-Sue Cenva

    Postby JasonJD48 » 06 Feb 2015 20:06

    I have a theory that Norma Cenva is essentially a Mary Sue representation of Brian himself. While it has been a while since I read the prequels and I have no inclination to read them again, my recollection is that Norma was an outcast among her family who is finally recognized by Holtzmann and then later becomes a DEM at the end of the Legends prequels and in Hunters/Sandworms. I think Brian was putting his own feelings of rejection into the character and then wish-fulfilling by raising her up the essentially the supreme being of his version of the Duniverse.

    Thoughts?
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
    - Arthur C. Clarke
    User avatar
    JasonJD48
     
    Posts: 76
    Joined: 01 Feb 2015 19:26
    Location: Rhode Island

    Re: Norma-Sue Cenva

    Postby inhuien » 08 Feb 2015 03:40

    No thoughts, sorry. The prequels don't inspire that in me. However so Norma Cenva was the DEM in Shunters always thought it was that Idaho chap.
    Image
    User avatar
    inhuien
     
    Posts: 3629
    Joined: 09 Feb 2008 05:03
    Location: right here as in not (all) there

    Re: Norma-Sue Cenva

    Postby JasonJD48 » 08 Feb 2015 03:49

    inhuien wrote:No thoughts, sorry. The prequels don't inspire that in me. However so Norma Cenva was the DEM in Shunters always thought it was that Idaho chap.


    I haven't read it either, but what I've been told is that she eliminates the machine threat by magically teleporting them to another dimension. I did read the House and BJ prequels though. That said, I do have to wonder why a son would trash his father's legacy so badly. My father and I were estranged as well and I have a lot of anger to this day for him (he passed a few years ago), but I wouldn't even do what Brian has done to Frank.
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
    - Arthur C. Clarke
    User avatar
    JasonJD48
     
    Posts: 76
    Joined: 01 Feb 2015 19:26
    Location: Rhode Island

    Re: Norma-Sue Cenva

    Postby inhuien » 08 Feb 2015 03:55

    JasonJD48 wrote:
    inhuien wrote:No thoughts, sorry. The prequels don't inspire that in me. However so Norma Cenva was the DEM in Shunters always thought it was that Idaho chap.


    I haven't read it either, but what I've been told is that she eliminates the machine threat by magically teleporting them to another dimension. I did read the House and BJ prequels though. That said, I do have to wonder why a son would trash his father's legacy so badly. My father and I were estranged as well and I have a lot of anger to this day for him (he passed a few years ago), but I wouldn't even do what Brian has done to Frank.

    Has Brian really done Frank any harm? I don't think so.
    Image
    User avatar
    inhuien
     
    Posts: 3629
    Joined: 09 Feb 2008 05:03
    Location: right here as in not (all) there

    Re: Norma-Sue Cenva

    Postby JasonJD48 » 08 Feb 2015 04:01

    inhuien wrote:
    JasonJD48 wrote:
    inhuien wrote:No thoughts, sorry. The prequels don't inspire that in me. However so Norma Cenva was the DEM in Shunters always thought it was that Idaho chap.


    I haven't read it either, but what I've been told is that she eliminates the machine threat by magically teleporting them to another dimension. I did read the House and BJ prequels though. That said, I do have to wonder why a son would trash his father's legacy so badly. My father and I were estranged as well and I have a lot of anger to this day for him (he passed a few years ago), but I wouldn't even do what Brian has done to Frank.

    Has Brian really done Frank any harm? I don't think so.


    I think if people hear 'Dune' and think of the hacks and not Frank's work, or equalize the two, then I think that does hurt his legacy. Frank is dead and he may not have to see it, but I think that's still horrible. And the ultimate insult of Brian demoting 'Dune' to some in-universe propaganda story to justify their own failures at consistency, how scummy can one person get? Sorry, to me he's betrayed his father.
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
    - Arthur C. Clarke
    User avatar
    JasonJD48
     
    Posts: 76
    Joined: 01 Feb 2015 19:26
    Location: Rhode Island

    Re: Norma-Sue Cenva

    Postby Omphalos » 11 Feb 2015 13:33

    Brian has done terrible harm to his father. Even we occasionally confuse elemnts of nu-Dune with classic Dune. Imagine what is going on out there in the real world, where I would bet that the average fan cannot keep the elements seperate in his or her mind. I think Frank would call that "violence done to his legacy," or words to that effect.
    User avatar
    Omphalos
    Inglorious Bastard
     
    Posts: 6584
    Joined: 05 Feb 2008 11:07
    Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

    Re: Norma-Sue Cenva

    Postby Freakzilla » 11 Feb 2015 13:59

    Omphalos wrote:Brian has done terrible harm to his father. Even we occasionally confuse elemnts of nu-Dune with classic Dune. Imagine what is going on out there in the real world, where I would bet that the average fan cannot keep the elements seperate in his or her mind. I think Frank would call that "violence done to his legacy," or words to that effect.


    ...or stealing his energy. :P
    Image
    Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
    ~Pink Snowman
    User avatar
    Freakzilla
    Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
     
    Posts: 18074
    Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
    Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA

    Re: Norma-Sue Cenva

    Postby lotek » 12 Feb 2015 05:04

    I think I would have held a lesser grudge had he done this on his own, but inviting the Notorious H.A.C.K. to the party was in my eyes the worse sin ever.
    It could be argued it was his father, so fair enough he had some kind of right to use the legacy to, well, make money and live to put it bluntly.
    But kjhackerson is nothing more than an preteen mind with delusions of grandeur that has been given the means to impose his drool on yet another franchise (Star Wars knows that only too well, although to be fair, Lucas himself has done his share of raping)

    And he also put his dirty paws on Batman!
    Image

    But I digress, don't we all?

    Norma, Norma...
    It's a bit vague now, it's like the ugly duckling meets Weird Science from what I remember.
    Once again, we reach into the fantasies of prepubescent teens with a grown in all directions man's body.
    Spice is the worm's gonads.
    User avatar
    lotek
     
    Posts: 5734
    Joined: 28 Jul 2009 08:33

    Re: Norma-Sue Cenva

    Postby D Pope » 13 Feb 2015 13:30

    Norma Rae Cenva, fighting for both navigators and Houses Minor rights, appearing soon in Dune:Union.

    When's the next 'write like hacks' contest?
    Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
    -Omphalos
    D Pope
     
    Posts: 1500
    Joined: 14 May 2010 14:11
    Location: Grubville

    Re: Norma-Sue Cenva

    Postby JasonJD48 » 13 Feb 2015 19:02

    D Pope wrote:When's the next 'write like hacks' contest?


    I'd certainly like to participate in one, I wasn't a member here for the first one.
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
    - Arthur C. Clarke
    User avatar
    JasonJD48
     
    Posts: 76
    Joined: 01 Feb 2015 19:26
    Location: Rhode Island

    Re: Norma-Sue Cenva

    Postby Freakzilla » 14 Feb 2015 12:05

    Since Sandchigger isn't around regularly, who wants to volunteer to run it?
    Image
    Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
    ~Pink Snowman
    User avatar
    Freakzilla
    Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
     
    Posts: 18074
    Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
    Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA

    Re: Norma-Sue Cenva

    Postby JasonJD48 » 15 Feb 2015 15:27

    Freakzilla wrote:Since Sandchigger isn't around regularly, who wants to volunteer to run it?


    I would volunteer, except I'd also want to participate, and that would be an obvious conflict of interest. Though, worst case scenario, I could just submit my story for exhibition and not put it up for voting to avoid said conflict, if no one else steps up.
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
    - Arthur C. Clarke
    User avatar
    JasonJD48
     
    Posts: 76
    Joined: 01 Feb 2015 19:26
    Location: Rhode Island

    Re: Norma-Sue Cenva

    Postby Jodorowsky's Acolyte » 15 Feb 2015 21:46

    JasonJD48 wrote:
    Freakzilla wrote:Since Sandchigger isn't around regularly, who wants to volunteer to run it?


    I would volunteer, except I'd also want to participate, and that would be an obvious conflict of interest. Though, worst case scenario, I could just submit my story for exhibition and not put it up for voting to avoid said conflict, if no one else steps up.


    I just came up with a possible parody story concept, for the amusement of my brethren.

    "Stuff Going on in Dune
    Written by the 7th Descendant of Brian and Kevin, Toby Anderson Herbert

    A ghola of Paul Atreides has been made, but after reviving his memories, the ghola turns out to be defective and is considered to be of no use to the secret brotherhood of the Male Bene Gesserit Brotherhood.
    However, the Paul ghola has the ability to cough up Super Super Spice concentrate and Ultra Water of Life. He also developed the ability to make love like a sandworm, which draws many women of Fremen descent to him. His abilities make him the target for new foes: a cyborg Reverend Mother with a split-second reproductive system, a 9th Stage Guild Navigator who looks like Mr. Magoo, and a super obese floating nobleman of the House Virkelig Virkelig Dårlig Harkonnen. Will the ghola claim his destiny in becoming a Mega Ultra Kwisatz Haderach, or will he fail miserably and waste readers' time in the process? Find out in this almost exciting and nearly bestselling adventure!"

    In order to fit the guidelines of a possible contest, I'd probably to make this closer to the writing style and word count of BH+KJA in order to properly parody them. I especially want to a parody afterward in the vein of the afterwards from Dune: House Atreides and This is Spinal Tap.
    '...all those who took part in the rise and fall of the Dune project learned how to fall one and one thousand times with savage obstinacy until learning how to stand. I remember my old father who, while dying happy, said to me: "My son, in my life, I triumphed because I learned how to fail."' -Alejandro Jodorowsky
    User avatar
    Jodorowsky's Acolyte
     
    Posts: 370
    Joined: 10 Jul 2010 10:55

    Re: Norma-Sue Cenva

    Postby chanilover » 09 Jan 2016 14:07

    I can't wait for Brian's version of Mommie Dearest. Actually, I can wait
    "You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
    Image
    Image
    User avatar
    chanilover
     
    Posts: 1639
    Joined: 18 Feb 2008 08:29

    Re: Norma-Sue Cenva

    Postby Freakzilla » 11 Jan 2016 13:38

    chanilover wrote:I can't wait for Brian's version of Mommie Dearest. Actually, I can wait


    That's pretty much what Dreamer of Dune was. Daddy Dearest.
    Image
    Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
    ~Pink Snowman
    User avatar
    Freakzilla
    Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
     
    Posts: 18074
    Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
    Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA

    Re: Norma-Sue Cenva

    Postby Serkanner » 12 Jan 2016 16:13

    Freakzilla wrote:
    chanilover wrote:I can't wait for Brian's version of Mommie Dearest. Actually, I can wait


    That's pretty much what Dreamer of Dune was. Daddy Dearest.


    Correct ... and I quote BH one more time from this atrocity: the boat his daddy bought was named Caladan after "the birthworld of Paul Atreides"
    "... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

    “There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

    Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
    and wrote a Dune Novel."
    User avatar
    Serkanner
     
    Posts: 2806
    Joined: 17 Feb 2008 18:44
    Location: Den Haag - The Netherlands

    Re: Norma-Sue Cenva

    Postby chanilover » 12 Jan 2016 16:42

    Lol it almost sounds like it could be worth reading.
    "You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
    Image
    Image
    User avatar
    chanilover
     
    Posts: 1639
    Joined: 18 Feb 2008 08:29

    Re: Norma-Sue Cenva

    Postby Serkanner » 13 Jan 2016 06:07

    chanilover wrote:Lol it almost sounds like it could be worth reading.


    It really isn't. I have read 6 of the atrocities by the hack and bh, but the biography is written even worse than those. I think it is actually the worst written book I have ever read.
    "... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

    “There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

    Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
    and wrote a Dune Novel."
    User avatar
    Serkanner
     
    Posts: 2806
    Joined: 17 Feb 2008 18:44
    Location: Den Haag - The Netherlands

    Re: Norma-Sue Cenva

    Postby Freakzilla » 13 Jan 2016 07:12

    Serkanner wrote:
    chanilover wrote:Lol it almost sounds like it could be worth reading.


    It really isn't. I have read 6 of the atrocities by the hack and bh, but the biography is written even worse than those. I think it is actually the worst written book I have ever read.


    If you're interested in FH's private life it's somewhat interesting but it's obviously a very jaded point of view.
    Image
    Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
    ~Pink Snowman
    User avatar
    Freakzilla
    Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
     
    Posts: 18074
    Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
    Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA

    Re: Norma-Sue Cenva

    Postby Omphalos » 13 Jan 2016 18:38

    chanilover wrote:Lol it almost sounds like it could be worth reading.


    If someone smart wrote it with him he could have passed off the other guy's work as his critique. Instead he did it himself and it was pretty much a family history tinged with Brian's bitching about his dad.
    User avatar
    Omphalos
    Inglorious Bastard
     
    Posts: 6584
    Joined: 05 Feb 2008 11:07
    Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

    Re: Norma-Sue Cenva

    Postby SandRider » 01 Feb 2016 04:21

    worth the read for the historical context.

    as entertainment, or for "enlightenment", no.
    just no.
    ................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
    ImageImage

    I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
    how to fully interact with people.
    ~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
    User avatar
    SandRider
    Watermaster
     
    Posts: 6163
    Joined: 05 Oct 2008 16:14
    Location: In the back of your mind. Always.

    Re: Norma-Sue Cenva

    Postby lotek » 12 Feb 2016 05:43

    I read Dreamer, I thought fanfic.
    Spice is the worm's gonads.
    User avatar
    lotek
     
    Posts: 5734
    Joined: 28 Jul 2009 08:33


    Return to ˲

    Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

    cron