Blasphemy: A Tale of Resurrected Victims

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Yeah, sandworms = flesh against metal. That always goes so well, doesn't it? :roll:

And then later, when Duncan takes his machine armada to Qelso, there's some inanity about the super weaponry of the machine ships. I suppose we're supposed to think (I don't remember it being explicity stated, but I might be forgetting it) that the machines are so sure of their own invicibility that their home planet isn't armed?

They really do think that readers are stupid, you know. Well, at least they've got the fanboys pegged, I guess. :P
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
orald

Post by orald »

Actually, a sandworm has really, really tough "skin" that can withstand multiple lasgun shots, and it's immensly powerful and heavy, allowing it to crush and break quite alot.

Just think for as second that a sandworm(and not a huge one, an average specimen) can chew down on a spice harvester.

God Leto in his transformation was just a few meters long, and hell, he was friggin' strong(able to tip a spaceship while still a sandtrout-covered kid as mentioned in the end of CoD, not to talk about later on)!

Even the stupid cymeks were a few dozen meters high and wide at best, no? So take a small, 100-150 meter long worm and you've got more than an even match, and unless Omnius Prime got himself penis jealousy and started making huge walkers like those shitty titans did, he's still got only relatively small war-'bots.

Does he still use 'em shitty spider-like 'bots they had in the Legends books? *geez, learn to put friggin' guns on 'em, yer nutjob, melee is so lame*
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
The Sons of Idaho

Post by The Sons of Idaho »

Well, sure, a sandworm is incredably strong, and would be able to damage/destroy heavy machinery. Even large, well-armored meks (or whatever you want to call them) would probably get destroyed.

But, two points that make this irrelevent -

Its an entire planet of machines. No matter how much destruction they cause, relatively, its nothing and would have no real effect.

Synchrony, and other machine planets, are described as being covered with flowmetal structures (rearranging themselves according to Omnius' whims). That means the worms are likely surrounded by a city-sized T-1000. Thats a whole different story than taking on some armored war machines.
How simple things were when our messiah was only a dream...
orald

Post by orald »

'Twas more directed at Chig's "sandworms = flesh against metal" comment.
I have no desire to justify anything those two hellspawn write.

And besides, I'm out of date with Omnibus Prime's Sim City version. :P

Did they really use melee attack robots in the Legends or is it just my bad memory? I can't let go of that point...so rediculous...and machines are always said to be so efficient. :roll:

The Sons of Idaho

Post by The Sons of Idaho »

I don't remember if there were machines designed only for melee, but it doesn't make sense that machines would not have projectile weapons, as shields were not invented yet.

I do remember the Cymeks had things like flamethrowers and such, but I think that was just to torment their human underlings and to look cool.
How simple things were when our messiah was only a dream...
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

The shields were only a temporary fix for the Rebel Alliance b/c the traitor Wellington Harkonnen-Corrino Butler told the cymeks about the shields and their weakness (:oops:) for lasers.

And then Mentat Alpha walked across the Bridge of Hrethgir into the loving arms of Abulard.
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

My comment was in support of TSoI's, actually.

I should have written "(sandworm) flesh against miles and miles of metal", because I was thinking of the machine world/city that Synchrony supposed was.

The way the worms dump out of the no-ship hold (which, as I've pointed out elsewhere, to have the kilometer-wide size described has to be near the middle height of the ship...meaning about 500 m from the bottom of the ship) and almost immediately start burrowing and turning up dirt (after the sandriver street slaloms) made it sound to me like the layer of machinery on the surface was extremely thin. But it had to be OVER 500 m deep around the bay where the no-ship landed....and on and on and on.

Whirled without end, amen! :roll:
orald

Post by orald »

TSoI, IIRC there were lots of ranged bots, but there were some which(for no logical reason) were melee-only. Unless those Ginaz idiots removed the ranged weapons from their captured training bots.
I remember getting the impression of them being like the archanid basic troops in Starship Troopers(well, the movie, haven't read the book).
Which still nags me- no way a man, unless with super streangth and toughness of Leto II, could ever make a dent on a machine in melee.
Even Teg may have super speed, but he's still humanly weak.
But oh no, they're GINAZ SWORD MASTERS!1!!@%1 :D

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

orald wrote:Even Teg may have super speed, but he's still humanly weak.
Yes, and if he actually hit or ran into anything while superfreakin', he'd haVE broken every bone in his body.

(WTF was FH thinking? Here shark, here boy! :roll: )
orald

Post by orald »

Well, in HoD it's more a matter of him striking flesh(and he was punching soft tissues, i.e windpipes and such), which is ok. And sure if he was bloody running into a wall even without super-speed he'd break bones, but d'you really think he's the kind to run into walls in the first place? :roll:

My point was that he(and any human) just can't bloody beat up metal and expect any result other than breaking himself.

At this point I would like to mention the rediculous scene in the 2nd(?) Legends novel where thousands of idiots hurl themselves at some meks and overpower them.
This may work with ants, but then it's flesh against flesh, not flesh against armor plating...with guns.

loremaster

Post by loremaster »

Does mentat training include soft-wall recognition?
The HLP hasnt released Frank's notes yet, Brian hasn't got the handwriting quite right!
orald

Post by orald »

Soft-wall? What's that? :?

A_Kalisandra_M

Post by A_Kalisandra_M »

*Growns* This is what happens at the end of the twin hack's so-called "7th novel"?

OMG: How could they? Not only that, I still must read it to judge for myself. How will I ever get through the whole thing without wanting to scream?

Anybody have any thoughts? How did y'all manage to read the latest trash? Trank-guns? Tips are welcome...
"That is not dead, which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons, even death may die..."

~ Lovecraft
Simon

Post by Simon »

SandChigger wrote: Xavier gets screwed, as usual. :D )
:lol:
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

A_Kalisandra_M wrote:*Growns* This is what happens at the end of the twin hack's so-called "7th novel"?

OMG: How could they? Not only that, I still must read it to judge for myself. How will I ever get through the whole thing without wanting to scream?

Anybody have any thoughts? How did y'all manage to read the latest trash? Trank-guns? Tips are welcome...
You can read the first 3 chapters on my blog :D

Also, Sandchigger reads the best parts in his Chiggy Hour segment on our podcast :D

Enjoy!
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
A_Kalisandra_M

Post by A_Kalisandra_M »

Mr. Teg wrote:
A_Kalisandra_M wrote:*Growns* This is what happens at the end of the twin hack's so-called "7th novel"?

You can read the first 3 chapters on my blog :D

Also, Sandchigger reads the best parts in his Chiggy Hour segment on our podcast :D

Enjoy!
Thank-you, my sweet I'll do that...
"That is not dead, which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons, even death may die..."

~ Lovecraft