Storytelling in the prequels.

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

orald

Post by orald »

typo... :?

I've tried readinh Hyperion 2-3 times now, and I've never been able to get much into it, the begining is quite boring from what I remember, though it's been at least 4-5 years.
Maybe I'll d/l, err, buy them some day.

Simon, you know the expression "finger-licking good"? Well, P&B's ramblings are more like ass-licking good IMO.

Heck, I bet Star Trek novels make for better reading than theirs, and that's saying ALOT. :P
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

orald wrote:Heck, I bet Star Trek novels make for better reading than theirs, and that's saying ALOT. :P
The one's not by Kevin, you mean! :D
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
orald

Post by orald »

Oh, right, I forgot he's been milking that cash cow too.
Well, I was looking for some horrible-yet-famous universe.

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Star Wars fits the bill.

And is made more horrible by Kevin's presence in it! :D
orald

Post by orald »

OMG, he's writing SW novels too?! Is there no end to this infestation? :shock:

Mind you, I only liked the 3 original movies, and never read any of the novels(heck, I've yet to watch ep. 3).

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Waiddaminute! They are going to collaborate on a non-Dune series of books? That should be a real red-letter day in publishing: When Tweedledum and Tweedledumber take the "lessons learned" of the mighty Dune series and apply it to something that they completely made up. Unless of course they have already done that. :P

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Omph, where ya been the last few months? :shock:

From the December blahgs, about a visit by Kevin to Seattle:
The bulk of our time, however, was devoted to brainstorming an original science fiction series of our own, similar in scope and theme to our DUNE novels, but a new creation. From this point on, Brian and I expect to write a DUNE novel only every other year, and alternate with new books of our own.
I expect it to be truly amazing.

:roll:

But at least it will keep them off the streets of the Duniverse half the time. No dark cloud without a silver lining.

That one will sound good in Galach. ;)
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I guess I remember that now. But, who really cares enough to remember that anyway?

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I do.

The art of kanly still has its admirers, you know. ;)
orald

Post by orald »

I never read any of their blog posts, and I've never checked out their DN forum either. I prefer to think that if I don't listen to their blabberings they wouldn't come to pass. :cry:

Tleilax Master B

Post by Tleilax Master B »

SandChigger wrote:I do.

Hehe, true dat.

Actually, it will be VERY interesting to see what sales are like when the word DUNE isn't plastered all over the front cover...... :wink:
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Tleilax Master B wrote:
SandChigger wrote:I do.

Hehe, true dat.

Actually, it will be VERY interesting to see what sales are like when the word DUNE isn't plastered all over the front cover...... :wink:
We'll never know...

From the authors who brought you Dune!

...some other piece of shit.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

^^^ Count on that! :(
Simon

Post by Simon »

SandChigger wrote:(Oh, orald, would you please have a beer or two? :roll: :D And you got the nikkud slightly wrong on infidel, btw. ;) )

Simon, their new Dune books are about as "unfettered" as it gets. They pay only soiled-ass-smelling lip service to the principles of the universe they claim to be writing in.

I read some of Hidden Empire while home last summer, and have been skimming through Timeweb here recently. Both are the sort of badly written science-fantasy-masquerading-as-science-fiction that give science fiction a bad name. Just a little above the level of those Harlotin' Romance pulps that were my mother's guilty pleasure. (Much as it pains me to admit it, though, Kevin comes across as being the better writer of the two. Which isn't saying much, seeing how Timeweb reads like Brian himself didn't proofread it; you have to wonder WTF the editors got paid for.)

I got no problem with you enjoying them, though. Evidently a lot of people do. Me, though, I'm an elitist snob (just ask Kevin!). The only thing I want to put in the jar when I read is my dentures. :D

(When you get done with the Saga, have a look at Dan Simmons' Hyperion Cantos (only four books, not seven) and then let's talk about how original or good Kevin's series is. ;) )

In address to the prominet "fantasy" element in SotSS, I actually agree with you on that, but I also take it as a good thing (in this particular instance).

I like it for it's non-Dune qualities (change of pace, you know?). I'm a big fan of his non-humanoid aliens interacting with the humanoids, and his character developement is always surprising, for better or worse (I personally feel it's all just a matter of taste).

I like not being able to guess what the ending of a story will be, and as of the end of "Forest of Stars", I have no idea where the chips will fall and who will survive, to me thats a good thing...
Simon

Post by Simon »

orald wrote:typo... :?

I've tried readinh Hyperion 2-3 times now, and I've never been able to get much into it, the begining is quite boring from what I remember, though it's been at least 4-5 years.
Maybe I'll d/l, err, buy them some day.

Simon, you know the expression "finger-licking good"? Well, P&B's ramblings are more like ass-licking good IMO.

Heck, I bet Star Trek novels make for better reading than theirs, and that's saying ALOT. :P
:lol: I don't know man. Nothing is a s bad as a sub par Star Trek/Star Wars novel, some of those books are pretty freakin' god awful! :lol:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Simon wrote:In address to the prominet "fantasy" element in SotSS, I actually agree with you on that, but I also take it as a good thing (in this particular instance).
But that makes it less science fiction. His stuff doesn't rise above the level of Star Wars or Star Trek. Basically fantasy with flashing electric lights.
I like it for it's non-Dune qualities (change of pace, you know?). I'm a big fan of his non-humanoid aliens interacting with the humanoids, and his character developement is always surprising, for better or worse (I personally feel it's all just a matter of taste).
What was non-(New)"Dune" about it? Short chapters, shallow characters, too much telling with little showing...and that was just my impression from a few of the "chapters". The style of writing/storytelling is exactly the same. Different setting, characters and story, sure. But same droning nasal whine.

I didn't get to any non-humanoid aliens, but the humanoid ones were just humans in funny clothes with funny names. (Would someone please tell him that words ending in 'h are pretty silly. Oh, right, alien throats. :roll: )
I like not being able to guess what the ending of a story will be, and as of the end of "Forest of Stars", I have no idea where the chips will fall and who will survive, to me thats a good thing...
Well, yeah, nobody wants to read something where the ending is too obvious, do they? The problem seems to be that you never know what ad hoc/deus ex machina shit Kevin is going to pull out of his backside.
Simon

Post by Simon »

I can agree with on this: If you like Nu-Dune, then you'll like SotSS, if you don't, then you may not.

By non-Dune I meant, no Dune staples, sandworms, Arrakis, RM's, etc...

It's definitly lighter reading than some sci-fi but it's still quite good IMHO.

Once I'm done with this series I'll hit you guys up and get some suggestions on what you guys feel are essentials and check those out. :)
orald

Post by orald »

For all your blasphemies I shall bludgeon you to death with a sack full of all the prequels! :evil:

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Simon wrote:I can agree with on this: If you like Nu-Dune, then you'll like SotSS, if you don't, then you may not.

By non-Dune I meant, no Dune staples, sandworms, Arrakis, RM's, etc...

It's definitly lighter reading than some sci-fi but it's still quite good IMHO.

Once I'm done with this series I'll hit you guys up and get some suggestions on what you guys feel are essentials and check those out. :)
I can think of about three websites full of users who would think you are way high for even comparing those shitty Dune books with the GRRM fantasy masterpieces.

Goodnight Golden Path!
orald

Post by orald »

Omphalos wrote:I can think of about three websites full of users who would think you are way high for even comparing those shitty Dune books with the GRRM fantasy masterpieces.
Err, I thought you two were talking about the Saga of the Seven Shits, err, Suns.

What's GRRM's ASoIaF got to do with it? :?

On a side note, I just thought of it, but wouldn't Chig just love that one of the few clear villains is a cat lady...of sorts? :P *hint hint, get to reading it Chig*

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

orald wrote:
Omphalos wrote:I can think of about three websites full of users who would think you are way high for even comparing those shitty Dune books with the GRRM fantasy masterpieces.
Err, I thought you two were talking about the Saga of the Seven Shits, err, Suns.

What's GRRM's ASoIaF got to do with it? :?

On a side note, I just thought of it, but wouldn't Chig just love that one of the few clear villains is a cat lady...of sorts? :P *hint hint, get to reading it Chig*
Sorry. Brain fart. Im sure that if you love the new Dune books you will be more than happy with KJA's other shit. More power to ya. :oops:

Goodnight Golden Path!
Simon

Post by Simon »

GRRM? :?:
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

George R.R. Martin.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Simon

Post by Simon »

gotcha
A_Kalisandra_M

Post by A_Kalisandra_M »

Omphalos wrote:They supposedly found thousands of pages of notes, but almost everything in the Road to Dune was taken from what they photocopied at the collection at Fullerton, while snubbing McNeilly at the same time regarding the encyclopedia and his relationship with Frank. Real classy...
Not only have they snubbed him they've used his 'ideas', as well...
"That is not dead, which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons, even death may die..."

~ Lovecraft