“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: Now Rush fans are "hating" him as well

Post by Freakzilla »

It was only a matter of time.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

That review was somewhat polite. Obvioiusly that's the first KJA novel he's read.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

:lol: I envy him.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

even a good novelist would struggle to do something novel with this material.
the novelisation of Clockwork Angels .... is not entirely unreadable
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
lotek

Post by lotek »

as a work of philosophy, the ideas conveyed are simplistic and safe, a middle of the road philosophy that extols the virtues of avoiding the extremes and following your own path.
what a surprise...

Spice is the worm's gonads.
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Anderson struggles to do anything particularly original with the material in prose that fails
to breathe life into characters (who remain fixtures on the page rather than creatures of
our imagination) traversing a plot that is devoid of surprises.
It seems like I've read this before.
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

SandRider wrote:
even a good novelist would struggle to do something novel with this material.
the novelisation of Clockwork Angels .... is not entirely unreadable
Doesn't even rise to the level of "damning with faint praise".

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

HBJ wrote:Doesn't even rise to the level of "damning with faint praise".
Q. Did she, (Your wife Rebecca) influence “Death Warmed Over”?
:lol:

http://www.enterprisenews.com/lifestyle ... J-Anderson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

D Pope wrote:
Anderson struggles to do anything particularly original with the material in prose that fails
to breathe life into characters (who remain fixtures on the page rather than creatures of
our imagination) traversing a plot that is devoid of surprises.
It seems like I've read this before.
Yeah, right? It's pretty clear KJA stopped learning anything about the writing craft a looooong time ago.

You can tell from his interviews, too. When you listen or read an interview with a real writer - particularly an interview where the person asking the questions knows and understands the author's work - the writer talks about their characters, about their purpose in writing the book, about specific decisions they had to make. Even Iain Banks, who deliberately portrays this impression that he finds writing embarrassingly easy, starts to talk very seriously about it - in a self-deprecating way - when you actually press him. Despite his apparently cavalier attitude, you can tell he knows what he's doing and doesn't mess around.

KJA talks about brainstorming, dictahiking and numbers of pages/books/copies sold. And pitches every other book he's ever written, given half the chance.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

there's a documentary on the netflix that I enjoyed very much, up until they got
into the 90s and pert's breakdown, which was about the time (I believe) Keith started
planning to infiltrate.

in any case, whatever the scenario, the association with tehKJA really ruined the thing for me.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
lotek

Post by lotek »

He got a sudden rush of blood the the head.
Pris Stratton

Post by Pris Stratton »

Some directors are bad at making films, some actors have no business acting, my guess is that Kevin J. Anderson is probably the type who shouldn't write novels. I've always steered clear of his books considering the bad reviews of fellow book readers. The only two books I intend to read that involve him are Hunters and Sandworms of Dune. I've never actually read anything past the first three Dune novels, yet I have all six Frank Herbert novels and the last two by his son and KJA (before they wrote their ridiculous amount of prequels).

Alos, is this supposed to be some kind of ridiculous spin off of Anthony Burgess's novel (that Kubrick took and made into a way better film)?
It doesn't mention that; at least I didn't see. But the words "clockwork" and "dystopian" immediately make me think of something real horrorshow.
"What does a scanner see? Into the head? Down into the heart? Into me - into us - clearly or darkly?"
lotek

Post by lotek »

D Pope wrote:
HBJ wrote:Doesn't even rise to the level of "damning with faint praise".
Q. Did she, (Your wife Rebecca) influence “Death Warmed Over”?
:lol:

http://www.enterprisenews.com/lifestyle ... J-Anderson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well butter my butt and call me Shirley!
Sardaukar Capt

Post by Sardaukar Capt »

Pris Stratton wrote:Some directors are bad at making films, some actors have no business acting, my guess is that Kevin J. Anderson is probably the type who shouldn't write novels. I've always steered clear of his books considering the bad reviews of fellow book readers. The only two books I intend to read that involve him are Hunters and Sandworms of Dune. I've never actually read anything past the first three Dune novels, yet I have all six Frank Herbert novels and the last two by his son and KJA (before they wrote their ridiculous amount of prequels).

Alos, is this supposed to be some kind of ridiculous spin off of Anthony Burgess's novel (that Kubrick took and made into a way better film)?
It doesn't mention that; at least I didn't see. But the words "clockwork" and "dystopian" immediately make me think of something real horrorshow.
KJA is to books what Uwe Boll is to movies.

Just so you know. The Hacks wrote 6 prequels BEFORE the abominations that are Hunters & Sandturds. Those 2 aren't true sequels to Chapterhouse. It's 100% clear they were not working from any notes or outline by Frank. They wrote those 2 books based on their backstory they made up during the 6 prequel books and are NOT based on anything Frank left behind. And they used them to try and tie up Franks last books back to their McDune Universe in order to prop up their own creations that as time has gone on has become more and more clear they are just making it up as they go and have been from the beginning.

Up to you if you want to read Hunters and Sandworms, but go in with a clear mind that they have NOTHING to do with the plot or story of Frank's last 3 books.
The name Atreides was also consciously chosen. It is the family name of Agamemnon. Says Herbert, "I wanted a sense of monumental aristocracy, but with tragedy hanging over them--and in our culture, Agamemnon personifies that."
Frank Herbert by Tim O'Reilly
http://tim.oreilly.com/herbert/

Ghanima said. "We Atreides go back to Agamemnon..."
Distracted, Irulan asked: "Who's Agamemnon?"

Children of Dune by Frank Herbert

WTF? A BG forgets the Titans?! :)
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Sardaukar Capt wrote:
Pris Stratton wrote:Some directors are bad at making films, some actors have no business acting, my guess is that Kevin J. Anderson is probably the type who shouldn't write novels. I've always steered clear of his books considering the bad reviews of fellow book readers. The only two books I intend to read that involve him are Hunters and Sandworms of Dune. I've never actually read anything past the first three Dune novels, yet I have all six Frank Herbert novels and the last two by his son and KJA (before they wrote their ridiculous amount of prequels).

KJA is to books what Uwe Boll is to movies.

Just so you know. The Hacks wrote 6 prequels BEFORE the abominations that are Hunters & Sandturds. Those 2 aren't true sequels to Chapterhouse. It's 100% clear they were not working from any notes or outline by Frank. They wrote those 2 books based on their backstory they made up during the 6 prequel books and are NOT based on anything Frank left behind. And they used them to try and tie up Franks last books back to their McDune Universe in order to prop up their own creations that as time has gone on has become more and more clear they are just making it up as they go and have been from the beginning.

Up to you if you want to read Hunters and Sandworms, but go in with a clear mind that they have NOTHING to do with the plot or story of Frank's last 3 books.
And this is why we, the Orthodoxed Herbertarians, are here.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

Bi-lal kaifa.

(cause we're fanatics, I'll have you know ^^)
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

lotek wrote:Bi-lal kaifa.

(cause we're fanatics, I'll have you know ^^)
...and we deify FH.
~Pink Snowman