Quick Questions about the McDune books...

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Quick Questions about the McDune books...

Post by Sandwurm88 »

...that everyone has seemingly gotten tired of shitting on.

I haven't been following Dune in any way for a few years, whether it be reading the originals or following the mcDune saga so:
1. What is the latest news on them (the mcDunes)?
2. What even happened in Sisterhood?
3. I vaguely recall (this could've been my imagination) some rumor that the Great Schools will be KJA and BH's last Dune series...is this true?
4. Are they still doing Throne and/or Leto of Dune?
5. What the fuck is up with the movie? I thought Paramount cancelled it and that was that.
6. Has a single person on the planet even read Hellhole, or seen it in a bookstore? 'Cause I haven't.
7. Is dune novels.com and the Dune Facebook pretty much dead and buried?
8. I just randomly remembered Kantele/Hypatia's old Dune site: Sietch Tabr and remember how pathetic it was. Dat bitch been seen 'round the inter webs lately?

Thanks for your cooperation.
D Pope

Re: Quick Questions about the McDune books...

Post by D Pope »

Sandwurm88 wrote:...that everyone has seemingly gotten tired of shitting on.

I haven't been following Dune in any way for a few years, whether it be reading the originals or following the mcDune saga so:
1. What is the latest news on them (the mcDunes)?
2. What even happened in Sisterhood?
3. I vaguely recall (this could've been my imagination) some rumor that the Great Schools will be KJA and BH's last Dune series...is this true?
4. Are they still doing Throne and/or Leto of Dune?
5. What the fuck is up with the movie? I thought Paramount cancelled it and that was that.
6. Has a single person on the planet even read Hellhole, or seen it in a bookstore? 'Cause I haven't.
7. Is dune novels.com and the Dune Facebook pretty much dead and buried?
8. I just randomly remembered Kantele/Hypatia's old Dune site: Sietch Tabr and remember how pathetic it was. Dat bitch been seen 'round the inter webs lately?

Thanks for your cooperation.
1) Sisterhood was released, it was called a bestseller, it went away. I heard there were two half hearted attempts to defend it.
2) Totally expected silliness.
3) There was a contract that specified a number of books. A stray interview revealed 1 or 2 books remaining.
Truth? Lies? Who knows? Doesn't mean they can't sign new contracts or simply allow kevie to publish.
4) According to Byron, they're focusing on other projects for now.
5) Paramount allowed their option to expire, what happens next is anyones guess.
6) Yes, Amp read it & saw it. Check out his BREAD thread.
7) Last I looked, it was pretty sad.
8 ) Before my time.
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

In short, the Jihad is over. It ended just as SandRider predicted it would, not with a bang or even a whimper, by simple attrition.
The preeqs, it seems, simply outgrew mcDune. Too embarrassed to admit their error, they've drifted on to some other shiny thing.
14evin has either realized the half life nature of his 'fan base' or been lured by dreams of profits into publishing... either way, he's
got something new to exploit. Brian seems to have made some friends. Without Dune, I don't expect to hear from him again. In
my opinion, the official wasteland would've died years earlier but for the prolific OH puppetry that kept it afloat.

My prediction;
In a few years the HLP accounts will begin to tighten up and some time after the lawyers get sacked, the family will miss a deadline
or forget to write a check allowing some vigilant Orthodox Herbertarion to scoop up the rights and make some proper history.

:pray:
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

Hahaha, wow, that's sort of the general gist I got from the lack of information on the Internet about it. I'm thinking Great Schools might not even get completed, but if they do, they'll be the last ones we'll see. Good to see that mcDune is already fading into history. :)
lotek

Post by lotek »

Sandwurm88 wrote:...that everyone has seemingly gotten tired of shitting on.
We weren't.
There just wasn't any room left.
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

As for Sisterhood:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3116

And Hellhole?
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2708
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

if I'm remembering this right, Keith twitted that he & Brian were swapping the
final edits on Mentats ... like maybe last week or before last Thursday, maybe ....
hard to keep track of that greasy little fucker without going back thru my RSS feed
reader's archives of all his twits (which I do keep, BTW .... backed up on an
external hard drive AND on mozy .... so ... yeah, fuck you, Keith .... mouth-off
on some fan-boy's blahg e-interview if'n you want to) but I can barely bring
myself to read them as they come in, much less dig thru to find the ones on Mentats ....
I got tired of the daily monitoring of His Assness, hoping only to catch him posting
something really stupid or offensive .... but these days, it's all about the Rush
thing ... oh, and the Zombie Dick .... and something about a prequel or alternate
timeline 7 Suns thing, I skip over most of that shit ... oh yeah, and something about
another H.G. Wells/Nemo/Sherlock Holmes steampunk thing ... and somewhere along
the way, he claimed to have invented steampunk, or something, but I think that
was in some copy-pasta email the Pope put in the Basement Archive @T(A)U ....

oh yeah, and he walked up an apparently steep hill in Colorado, and went to a
Star Trek convention ....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
lotek

Post by lotek »

He must have been doing an Ultra Marathon.
Spice is the worm's gonads.
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Oddly enough I was writing steampunk back in the ’80s
before anyone knew it should be called steampunk.
There ya go, he's always been a hack on the edge.

http://www.quillandquire.com/blog/index ... expo/?wt=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Omphalos
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I have this weird feeling, like steampunk is for very pretentious and uppity sci-fi lovers. or at least those are the kinds of people who take over steampunk. Especially cos-play steampunk.

Like its for the people who take it way too far.

I think perhaps the Victorian ideals subconsciously attract an undercurrent of people who want to dress up posh and act snotty, while holding a smartphone with gears glued to the case.

Just a feeling.

Also, steampunk was called steampunk in the 80's. By 1981 if I believe correctly...
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Ampoliros wrote:I have this weird feeling, like steampunk is for very pretentious and uppity sci-fi lovers. or at least those are the kinds of people who take over steampunk. Especially cos-play steampunk.

Like its for the people who take it way too far.

I think perhaps the Victorian ideals subconsciously attract an undercurrent of people who want to dress up posh and act snotty, while holding a smartphone with gears glued to the case.

Just a feeling.

Also, steampunk was called steampunk in the 80's. By 1981 if I believe correctly...

Dear Locus,
Enclosed is a copy of my 1979 novel Morlock Night; I'd appreciate your being so good as to route it Faren Miller, as it's a prime piece of evidence in the great debate as to who in "the Powers/Blaylock/Jeter fantasy triumvirate" was writing in the "gonzo-historical manner" first. Though of course, I did find her review in the March Locus to be quite flattering.

Personally, I think Victorian fantasies are going to be the next big thing, as long as we can come up with a fitting collective term for Powers, Blaylock and myself. Something based on the appropriate technology of the era; like 'steam-punks', perhaps.
—K.W. Jeter[9]

[9] ^ Sheidlower, Jesse (March 9, 2005). "Science Fiction Citations". http://www.jessesword.com/sf/view/327" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Retrieved May 10, 2008.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."