What's the point?

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Crizius

What's the point?

Post by Crizius »

Hey everyone. I would like to ask of those who have read books written KJA and Brian Herbert: why do they make pointless and minor changes like changing Paul' homeworld from Caladan to Kaitan?
Last edited by Crizius on 22 Jan 2020 14:45, edited 1 time in total.
Remember the alamo!
DuneFishUK

Re: What's the point?

Post by DuneFishUK »

Its all about introducing trivia so they can say they've expanded and added to the Dune universe.
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
lotek

Post by lotek »

and also, Frank put all the smart Dune needed already, so these two morons could only degrade it with stupid.
That and the fact they're evidently talentless, in the most literal meaning possible, so nothing they do does make sense.
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

To them and those who swallow them, that was a creative thing to do. I honestly think you need not analyze it any deeper than, "this is what dull people consider innovative and interesting" and "now Dune can be read by anyone".

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

It's because if they didn't make changes, that would mean they'd actually have to fact check and that's too much work. Something like Paul's homeworld is a little different, they KNEW they were changing that, that's more their way of stepping on Frank's toes and showing their own story as MORE TRUE than his - the other 900 changes they've made they didn't even know they'd made, because they don't think about it.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Nah, I'm not sure they were that far gone yet by that point—remember that "Baby Paul on Kaitain" is a Preludes arc!—and they probably did think they were just being original and creative and adding "complexity"...

Then again, maybe KJA was already planning on out-Franking Frank and fucking Dune up the backside even then. :think:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Crizius

Post by Crizius »

Omphalos wrote:To them and those who swallow them, that was a creative thing to do. I honestly think you need not analyze it any deeper than, "this is what dull people consider innovative and interesting" and "now Dune can be read by anyone".
Most interesting theory...
Remember the alamo!
trang

Post by trang »

Crizius wrote:
Omphalos wrote:To them and those who swallow them, that was a creative thing to do. I honestly think you need not analyze it any deeper than, "this is what dull people consider innovative and interesting" and "now Dune can be read by anyone".
Most interesting theory...
yep agree, they are shallow and not much more to dig than that. I would add it just leads to their ultimate goal of squeezing as much cash out of the franchise as they can. Little concern for what destruction they have done.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Some authors use later novels in a series to make revelations about events in previous volumes, in order to show what was "really" happening. The reader is forced to reinterpret those events in the face of new information. If done well, it can be very effective.

That might have been what KJA and BH were shooting for in deliberately changing facts in Dune. They fell short of doing it well, though.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
trang

Post by trang »

Hunchback Jack wrote: That might have been what KJA and BH were shooting for in deliberately changing facts in Dune. They fell short of doing it well, though.

HBJ
They blew it out there ass to be kind.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Crysknife

Post by Crysknife »

Just plain stupid. Period. I don't give them enough credit to have a reason.