What's the point?

Abandon all sanity ye who enter here

Moderators: ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Freakzilla

Crizius

What's the point?

Postby Crizius » 26 Nov 2011 13:16

Hi all. So I would like to ask of those who read KJA and Brian Herbert stuff, why do they make pointles changes like chaning Paul' home world from Caladan to Kaitan I mean it's minor stuff. Right?
I rarely post because most of the time I feel I have nothing to add

There is nothing to fear but fear itself for Fear is the mind-killer.Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. Fear kills me over and over. Without fear, I die but once.

DuneFishUK

Re: What's the point?

Postby DuneFishUK » 26 Nov 2011 13:50

Its all about introducing trivia so they can say they've expanded and added to the Dune universe.

lotek

Postby lotek » 26 Nov 2011 14:15

and also, Frank put all the smart Dune needed already, so these two morons could only degrade it with stupid.
That and the fact they're evidently talentless, in the most literal meaning possible, so nothing they do does make sense.
Spice is the worm's gonads.

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Postby Omphalos » 26 Nov 2011 19:08

To them and those who swallow them, that was a creative thing to do. I honestly think you need not analyze it any deeper than, "this is what dull people consider innovative and interesting" and "now Dune can be read by anyone".

A Thing of Eternity

Postby A Thing of Eternity » 27 Nov 2011 03:14

It's because if they didn't make changes, that would mean they'd actually have to fact check and that's too much work. Something like Paul's homeworld is a little different, they KNEW they were changing that, that's more their way of stepping on Frank's toes and showing their own story as MORE TRUE than his - the other 900 changes they've made they didn't even know they'd made, because they don't think about it.

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero
Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"

Postby SandChigger » 27 Nov 2011 11:28

Nah, I'm not sure they were that far gone yet by that point—remember that "Baby Paul on Kaitain" is a Preludes arc!—and they probably did think they were just being original and creative and adding "complexity"...

Then again, maybe KJA was already planning on out-Franking Frank and fucking Dune up the backside even then. :think:
I have heard of only one mistake that doesn’t have an explanation for a careful reader...with an open mind. (And, no, I’m not going to tell you what it is!) —KJA

I don't like every writer's style; for instance, I have never been able to get through Ursula LeGuin, China Mieville, or Iain Banks, all of whom are critical darlings. —KJA

I...had written a bunch of Star Wars and X-Files books...that proved not just that I'm a hack, but that I could write in somebody else's universe... —KJA

Crizius

Postby Crizius » 27 Nov 2011 16:38

Omphalos wrote:To them and those who swallow them, that was a creative thing to do. I honestly think you need not analyze it any deeper than, "this is what dull people consider innovative and interesting" and "now Dune can be read by anyone".

Most interesting theory...
I rarely post because most of the time I feel I have nothing to add

There is nothing to fear but fear itself for Fear is the mind-killer.Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. Fear kills me over and over. Without fear, I die but once.

trang

Postby trang » 27 Nov 2011 17:30

Crizius wrote:
Omphalos wrote:To them and those who swallow them, that was a creative thing to do. I honestly think you need not analyze it any deeper than, "this is what dull people consider innovative and interesting" and "now Dune can be read by anyone".

Most interesting theory...

yep agree, they are shallow and not much more to dig than that. I would add it just leads to their ultimate goal of squeezing as much cash out of the franchise as they can. Little concern for what destruction they have done.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Hunchback Jack

Postby Hunchback Jack » 27 Nov 2011 18:14

Some authors use later novels in a series to make revelations about events in previous volumes, in order to show what was "really" happening. The reader is forced to reinterpret those events in the face of new information. If done well, it can be very effective.

That might have been what KJA and BH were shooting for in deliberately changing facts in Dune. They fell short of doing it well, though.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks

trang

Postby trang » 27 Nov 2011 19:30

Hunchback Jack wrote:That might have been what KJA and BH were shooting for in deliberately changing facts in Dune. They fell short of doing it well, though.

HBJ

They blew it out there ass to be kind.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Crysknife

Postby Crysknife » 28 Nov 2011 21:01

Just plain stupid. Period. I don't give them enough credit to have a reason.

Return to “˲”