Should I read the so-called Dune7 in the name of completion?

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

A Thing of Eternity

Re: Should I read the so-called Dune7 in the name of completion?

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

JustSomeGuy wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:Oh dude it gets better/worse. Every stupid thing you could imagine happens, and all the characters have an IQ of around 40.
That REALLY pissed me off. The characters were all supposed to be so smart, but they were idiots!
Oh yeah man, especially that bit with the Face Dancer(s?) how they couldn't figure it out, it was seriously something a 4 year old could have told them!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

La kalam...

There are no words. :tissue2:
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

I have never felt the temptation to read any McDune, even before I read anything about them on the internet... but if I ever was tempted in the slightest, all I'd need to do is read this piece of crap KJA came up with "I have no fear, for fear is the little death that kills me over and over. Without fear, I die but once." as the precursor to the Litany.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
Demerzel

Post by Demerzel »

^ I must say, that isn't all that bad.

Edit: don't kill me
When Paul was three I found him wearing lingerie I was planning to wear for my Duke. I asked him: "How can this be?" and he answered: "For I am the Kwisatz Haderach!" I was proud since these were the first words Paul ever spoke, but now I knew for certain that my Paul was a special boy. I brought him to Duncan's room while he was busy "training" a young maidservant in the Art of Sword-Handling. My Paul shall be the best! - Tleszer
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

I have no fear, for fear is the little death that kills me over and over. Without fear, I die but once.
That was just awful.
I bring nothing to the table.
lotek

Post by lotek »

JustSomeGuy wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:Oh dude it gets better/worse. Every stupid thing you could imagine happens, and all the characters have an IQ of around 40.
That REALLY pissed me off. The characters were all supposed to be so smart, but they were idiots!
pretty logical considering a character is only as smart as its creator allows him to be...

A pathetic loser with a father issue and a drinking habit, paired up with a man that toots his own horn all over the interwebz ?

I am not surprised, I only was when I didn't know that and I could not fathom the level of stupid to dumb down so much a fantastic story...

At least that's one achievement, no one could have done worse !
Spice is the worm's gonads.
trang

Post by trang »

You can get pretty much what you need from the summaries on Wikipedia and elsewhere. There is no good reason to invest a penny in any of the pages they have written. The books are all poorly edited, and repetitive. The fabricated nonsense and complete abominating liberty they take is offensive.

Do yourself a favor, go to book store or book dealer of your choice and get more of Franks books. I would start with Whipping Star and Dosadi Experiment, great pair. Lots of great reading in all that he penned(green brain isnt his best but still worth the read). Grab the Road to Dune, it is interesting, just ignore BH/KJA parts.

Hunters/Sandworms are the most offensive of the lot, mainly for what the did to the story. They should be branded literary assassins for those books right on their foreheads.

Paul Of Dune is the worst book I have ever read in my life.
Winds is a waste of paper, ridicules and boring.

As far as the cliffhanger, I'm sure Frank was going to right a conclusion, no doubt at all.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

trang

Post by trang »

oh, forgot to mention the Dune Encyclopedia, grab a copy and enjoy it, it will keep ya busy for some time to come. Not official Canon, but one section of it is better than anything BH/KJA ever wrote.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Demerzel

Post by Demerzel »

I checked out a free pdf document of Hunters. By the time I read this:
Memory is a weapon sharp enough to inflict deep wounds.
- The Mentat's Lament
and this:
Sheeana's generous lips held an elusive smile. "Studying battles again, Miles? It's a bad thing for a
military commander to be so predictable."
, I was through.
trang wrote:You can get pretty much what you need from the summaries on Wikipedia and elsewhere. There is no good reason to invest a penny in any of the pages they have written. The books are all poorly edited, and repetitive. The fabricated nonsense and complete abominating liberty they take is offensive.

Do yourself a favor, go to book store or book dealer of your choice and get more of Franks books. I would start with Whipping Star and Dosadi Experiment, great pair. Lots of great reading in all that he penned(green brain isnt his best but still worth the read). Grab the Road to Dune, it is interesting, just ignore BH/KJA parts.

Hunters/Sandworms are the most offensive of the lot, mainly for what the did to the story. They should be branded literary assassins for those books right on their foreheads.

Paul Of Dune is the worst book I have ever read in my life.
Winds is a waste of paper, ridicules and boring.

As far as the cliffhanger, I'm sure Frank was going to right a conclusion, no doubt at all.
I've concluded that I won't touch the garbage. I'll look into Frank's other books after I'm done with Anathem, Ilium and Olympos. Huge slabs, I can't find the time to even start them with my ridiculous schedule :D .
trang wrote:oh, forgot to mention the Dune Encyclopedia, grab a copy and enjoy it, it will keep ya busy for some time to come. Not official Canon, but one section of it is better than anything BH/KJA ever wrote.
Is it accurate?
When Paul was three I found him wearing lingerie I was planning to wear for my Duke. I asked him: "How can this be?" and he answered: "For I am the Kwisatz Haderach!" I was proud since these were the first words Paul ever spoke, but now I knew for certain that my Paul was a special boy. I brought him to Duncan's room while he was busy "training" a young maidservant in the Art of Sword-Handling. My Paul shall be the best! - Tleszer
A Thing of Eternity

Good call, I went straight into their Legends series right after I finished the originals and I can't remember if I actually cried or almost cried, but I had a very strong reaction to it.
Demerzel wrote:
trang wrote:oh, forgot to mention the Dune Encyclopedia, grab a copy and enjoy it, it will keep ya busy for some time to come. Not official Canon, but one section of it is better than anything BH/KJA ever wrote.
Is it accurate?
No, that's the fun of it, it's kinda of a whacky old weird book. It's supposed to be an "in universe document" so it can be as inaccurate as it wants to be. It was compiled by a good friend of FH (lots of different authors) and FH endorsed it, though he did not make any of it canon.

I still need a copy of it actually for my collection.
Demerzel

Post by Demerzel »

So I'll take it that KJA wasn't a friend of his.
A Thing of Eternity

Demerzel wrote:So I'll take it that KJA wasn't a friend of his.
Ha, no.
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Mandy wrote:I have never felt the temptation to read any McDune, even before I read anything about them on the internet... but if I ever was tempted in the slightest, all I'd need to do is read this piece of crap KJA came up with "I have no fear, for fear is the little death that kills me over and over. Without fear, I die but once." as the precursor to the Litany.
Fear is the little death, killing me slightly, killing me nightly, over and over, it's bad to be scared.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Demerzel wrote:^ I must say, that isn't all that bad.

Edit: don't kill me
Prepare to die!
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

merkin muffley wrote:
Mandy wrote:I have never felt the temptation to read any McDune, even before I read anything about them on the internet... but if I ever was tempted in the slightest, all I'd need to do is read this piece of crap KJA came up with "I have no fear, for fear is the little death that kills me over and over. Without fear, I die but once." as the precursor to the Litany.
Fear is the little death, killing me slightly, killing me nightly, over and over, it's bad to be scared.
Killing me softly, with his song.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Omphalos wrote:
merkin muffley wrote:
Killing me softly, with his dong.
Strumming my pain with his fingers
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Ha-ha !!
I see what you did there !!
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Demerzel wrote:So I'll take it that KJA wasn't a friend of his.
NO.

Kevin J. Anderson never met Frank Herbert in life although he had stalked him in his mind for years.

Dominating Frank Herbert's son and family while ass-raping his greatest work must be nirvana for the little toad.

(He says he's a fan of Dune, but don't believe it. He's obviously mistaken terminal envy for being a fan.)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

trang wrote:Do yourself a favor, go to book store or book dealer of your choice and get more of Franks books. I would start with Whipping Star and Dosadi Experiment, great pair. Lots of great reading in all that he penned(green brain isnt his best but still worth the read). Grab the Road to Dune, it is interesting, just ignore BH/KJA parts.
FH re-uses similar themes throughout his books. His non-Dune books give you a bit of a handle on what happens in Dune and makes you realise just how wrong some of the things the hacks invent really are.

Yes, FH would have written a 7th book. There are hints about it here and there, but whatever it would have been - Grunters and Sadworms are not the books you're looking for :)

(I've not read them, no chance, based on reading their previous efforts.)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

I'm inclined to agree with Omph - to hate a thing you must know a thing. Yes, you can read the summaries, but reading the books themselves is the only true way to know them.

Having said that, though, know what you're getting into. If you're lucky, hunters/sandworms won't taint your opinion of the originals, but they will change you. Whatever outrage and disappointment you will feel won't be easily undone.

For make no mistake - Thing is not exaggerating when he says these books are bad. They are wretched on virtually every level - as a continuation of Dune, as an SF novel, as a novel of any kind. The other prequel books made me sad and disappointed; the dune7 books made me *angry*.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Demerzel

Post by Demerzel »

I'll go through them sometime when I'm absolutely idle. Perhaps I need to place a zero mark for a book rating scale.

I read the Duncan articles of the Encyclopedia. They were hilarious, especially the female Duncan, the homosexual Duncan and the clumsy Duncan. :lol:
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

You hit the nail on the head, HBJ.
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Demerzel wrote:I've read until CH:D and was annoyed at the cliffhanger at the end. Should I read the next two books released by the son and his pal for the sake of completing the story?
Yes. It is their most comprehensively awful turd so far. In fact, they'd be hard pressed to surpass it in terms of sheer shiteness. Every page just oozes runny pooh, they've crammed so much bad writing into two books that it's a marvel to behold.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Sig-worthy. :lol:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Demerzel

Post by Demerzel »

Finished. Plot sucked so bad. Only thing remotely interesting was the Thufir face dancer plot. Once he was revealed though, I can't understand WHY no one suspected the rabbi. I was almost yelling at the screen. The characters make me cry. The ending was so bad that I deleted the file instantly and did a full system cleanup.