Should I read the so-called Dune7 in the name of completion?

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: Should I read the so-called Dune7 in the name of completion?

Post by Freakzilla »

Demerzel wrote:Finished. Plot sucked so bad. Only thing remotely interesting was the Thufir face dancer plot. Once he was revealed though, I can't understand WHY no one suspected the rabbi. I was almost yelling at the screen. The characters make me cry. The ending was so bad that I deleted the file instantly and did a full system cleanup.
I'm glad to see you took it so well!
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

Demerzel wrote: I was almost yelling at the screen.
I know you're saying this because you read a digital copy, but this was my feeling when reading a hard copy of the book. Like I was watching some "Bad Television" instead of reading a book.

I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

If their books were tv shows they would have been canceled before finishing the Preludes series.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

My experience with TV is that good shows get cancelled or distilled into thoughtless pap, while most things that fight to stay original get cancelled early.
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Apjak wrote:My experience with TV is that good shows get cancelled or distilled into thoughtless pap, while most things that fight to stay original get cancelled early.
You're right, TV goes by viewer quantity. Whether or not the show is actually good is inconsequential.

In my book-TV world, I canceled them after Hunters of Dune.
~Pink Snowman
Demerzel

Post by Demerzel »

Apjak wrote:
I know you're saying this because you read a digital copy, but this was my feeling when reading a hard copy of the book. Like I was watching some "Bad Television" instead of reading a book.]
I'd like to proudly add that it was an illegal, pirated digital copy.
When Paul was three I found him wearing lingerie I was planning to wear for my Duke. I asked him: "How can this be?" and he answered: "For I am the Kwisatz Haderach!" I was proud since these were the first words Paul ever spoke, but now I knew for certain that my Paul was a special boy. I brought him to Duncan's room while he was busy "training" a young maidservant in the Art of Sword-Handling. My Paul shall be the best! - Tleszer
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Demerzel wrote:
Apjak wrote:
I know you're saying this because you read a digital copy, but this was my feeling when reading a hard copy of the book. Like I was watching some "Bad Television" instead of reading a book.]
I'd like to proudly add that it was an illegal, pirated digital copy.
Someone took the time to digitize that shit?
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Demerzel

Post by Demerzel »

Yes :'(
When Paul was three I found him wearing lingerie I was planning to wear for my Duke. I asked him: "How can this be?" and he answered: "For I am the Kwisatz Haderach!" I was proud since these were the first words Paul ever spoke, but now I knew for certain that my Paul was a special boy. I brought him to Duncan's room while he was busy "training" a young maidservant in the Art of Sword-Handling. My Paul shall be the best! - Tleszer
Sardaukar Capt

Post by Sardaukar Capt »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:If you do read them, go straight into themm without reading the Legends series first. We've always wanted feedback from someone who did this to show just how little sense the final 2 books make in relation to the original series.
I read FH's Dune books in '89 - '90. Read (mind raped by) the House books when they came out. I was hoping for a bit more of the Jihad period books but I was fooling myself. It took me a few years of putting down and picking up Butlerian Jihad before I could finally finish it. It was like a bad Star Trek novel and thats an insult to Star Trek novels. Since I've already seen the rape started (of the massive potential of the BJ era) I'm finding it hard to turn away and am trying to finish it through the money shot (ie Battle or Cornhole). Right now I'm about 20% through Machine Crud and thats taken me a couple of years now of starts and stops. Thankfully they got no money from me for these shit books.

So would I be a good candidate to stop where I am with Machine Crud and read Cunters & Sandturds to see how little it relates to FH's books as opposed to the Ultimate Comics Dune Universe Kevin J Asshat has been setting up. If so I think I would need to re-read at least GEoD, HoD, & CHD first. Then I have to find cheap used physical (or free ebook) copies of Cunters and Seaturds because I'm not wanting to line their pockets with a penny.
The name Atreides was also consciously chosen. It is the family name of Agamemnon. Says Herbert, "I wanted a sense of monumental aristocracy, but with tragedy hanging over them--and in our culture, Agamemnon personifies that."
Frank Herbert by Tim O'Reilly
http://tim.oreilly.com/herbert/

Ghanima said. "We Atreides go back to Agamemnon..."
Distracted, Irulan asked: "Who's Agamemnon?"

Children of Dune by Frank Herbert

WTF? A BG forgets the Titans?! :)
Demerzel

Post by Demerzel »

Sardaukar Capt wrote:So would I be a good candidate to stop where I am with Machine Crud and read Cunters & Sandturds to see how little it relates to FH's books as opposed to the Ultimate Comics Dune Universe Kevin J Asshat has been setting up. If so I think I would need to re-read at least GEoD, HoD, & CHD first. Then I have to find cheap used physical (or free ebook) copies of Cunters and Seaturds because I'm not wanting to line their pockets with a penny.
DON'T. Really, don't. The books don't just neglect all that FH has written, they also downplay and degrade it.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Sardaukar Capt wrote:Machine Crud ... Cunters & Sandturds ... Ultimate Comics Dune Universe Kevin J Asshat ... Seaturds
You have a gift. :lol:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Sardaukar Capt

Post by Sardaukar Capt »

SandChigger wrote:
Sardaukar Capt wrote:Machine Crud ... Cunters & Sandturds ... Ultimate Comics Dune Universe Kevin J Asshat ... Seaturds
You have a gift. :lol:
:) Thanks.

Demerzel wrote:
Sardaukar Capt wrote:So would I be a good candidate to stop where I am with Machine Crud and read Cunters & Sandturds to see how little it relates to FH's books as opposed to the Ultimate Comics Dune Universe Kevin J Asshat has been setting up. If so I think I would need to re-read at least GEoD, HoD, & CHD first. Then I have to find cheap used physical (or free ebook) copies of Cunters and Seaturds because I'm not wanting to line their pockets with a penny.
DON'T. Really, don't. The books don't just neglect all that FH has written, they also downplay and degrade it.
I'm having such a hard time making it through Machine Crud. I don't think I'd be able to stomach what they've done to "Dune 7". Its bad enough that these Legends books are just horrible and idiotic... I'm still waiting to see the religious fervor that Frank mentioned in his books .... hmmm billions are slaughtered by machines but that doesn't cause religious fervor against the machines but Evil Data kills one baby and everyone goes ape shit and that suddenly turns Vorian from the Dark Side when before he could have cared less about the suffering of other humans... yeah that makes total sense :roll: . I don't think I can stomach them using these Legends books as the basis for THEIR Dune 7 story. It's one thing what they've done with the BJ period since Frank didn't reference back to that time much at least not in any detail but to create this travesty as the foundation to then rape what was setup in Heretics and Chapterhouse is beyond reproach.

I may one day finally make it thru these horrid Legends books just to finish what I started and see how bad this train wreck turns out since I can't un-read what I've slogged through so far. But then I think I'm done with these 2 morons otherwise. I don't think I'll ever be able to read Cunters/Sandturds after reading about the story. It's so freaking sad that any Herbert would have their name associated with this. Geez did they hate Frank and Bev this much?
The name Atreides was also consciously chosen. It is the family name of Agamemnon. Says Herbert, "I wanted a sense of monumental aristocracy, but with tragedy hanging over them--and in our culture, Agamemnon personifies that."

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

While it's true that FH didn't fill in that much detail about the Jihad period, what Bobo and The Hack didn't understand was that it didn't mean ANYTHING GOES! :doh:

The books shouldn't have made any reference to what comes later AT ALL. And they could have spent more than a year writing each one. :snooty:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Sardaukar Capt

Post by Sardaukar Capt »

SandChigger wrote:While it's true that FH didn't fill in that much detail about the Jihad period, what Bobo and The Hack didn't understand was that it didn't mean ANYTHING GOES! :doh:

The books shouldn't have made any reference to what comes later AT ALL. And they could have spent more than a year writing each one. :snooty:
I didn't know until recently what they did with Cunters & Sandturds from this forum and your blog recently. But I remember the bit in the BJ book I think when the Earth Omniass sent the Probe Droids into deep deep deep space to setup little Omniass beachheads. I was like hmmmm these retards are trying to set something up there for some future book. Now I know what it was. Fucking brilliant plot development there boys. I think the moron would have a stroke if he ever actually had an original idea.

Shadout

Post by Shadout »

I really regret reading Sanworms of Dune. It is like it has tainted my memories of Dune, even though it shouldn't.

I could live with the House and Butlerian series, even though especially the Butlerian series were amazingly crappy, they felt like separate entities from Original Dune, which was easier to ignore afterward.

Hunters was even somewhat tolerable/ignorable as well, if they hadn't taken that extra step toward insanity with Sandworms.

Don't read it. The hate is not worth it :D
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

"All that hate is gonna burn you up, kid."

"It keeps me warm."
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Ferris Bueller's Day Off ?
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Sardaukar Capt

Post by Sardaukar Capt »

Freakzilla wrote:"All that hate is gonna burn you up, kid."

"It keeps me warm."
Red Dawn ... Powers Booth to C. Thomas Howell. CLASSIC 80s movie.

Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Sardaukar Capt wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:"All that hate is gonna burn you up, kid."

"It keeps me warm."
Red Dawn ... Powers Booth to C. Thomas Howell. CLASSIC 80s movie.
:clap:
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

you realize, of course, that my response above was humor, right ?

see 'cause, I certainly know every stinking fucking line from that movie,
so answering "Bueller" is why it's funny ... also, if Freak is dropping
movie lines, there are only three possible choices: Red Dawn, The Blues
Brothers, or Lebowski ....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Ah, you know me too well. I'm going to have to change up my patterns.
~Pink Snowman
Sardaukar Capt

Post by Sardaukar Capt »

SandRider wrote:you realize, of course, that my response above was humor, right ?

see 'cause, I certainly know every stinking fucking line from that movie,
so answering "Bueller" is why it's funny ... also, if Freak is dropping
movie lines, there are only three possible choices: Red Dawn, The Blues
Brothers, or Lebowski ....
I thought it might be after I posted :)

Nietzsche's mustache

Post by Nietzsche's mustache »

@ Sardukar Captain:
I think you should read them, if only to fully comprehend how horribly BH and KJA handled the project. Just put the Mcdunes close to your toilet, so that when you need to take a nice and hearty dump you have the appropriate reading material to complement the sounds and smells of defecation. If you think the Houses and the Butlerian triloges were bad, brace yourself my friend.
But it is the body that is inspired: let us keep "the soul" out of it.
-Friedrich W. Nietzsche in Ecce Homo (1888)

Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty.
-Leto II
JimmytheT

Post by JimmytheT »

My answer to the OP is a resounding no. I refuse to read them on the basis of my experience with both prequel trilogies. I prefer to leave the original series as it closed under Frank's writing.
Your life story would not make a good book. Don't even try.
-Fran Lebowitz
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

You need to be a little unhinged to decide to read them, when I read the final book I seriously regretted it in a way far different than the earlier books.