Turds of Dune

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

DuneFishUK

Turds of Dune

Post by DuneFishUK »

Tales of Dune is released - and the first 11 pages of the new and exciting young Paul story are free to view!

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/66430" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(I like the font they use on the cover - cheeky fucker. You know he did it on purpose.)

- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Sev

Re: Turds of Dune

Post by Sev »

That was complete and utter crap - mind you, I wasn't expecting it to be otherwise. So "Wedding Sick" isn't really a brand new Dune short story - it's a bloody out-take from "Pile of Duds." :doh: That last section was truly dire, confronted with thousands of ravenous falcon-moth larvae, what do the four mouseketeers do? - run, or start skewering them? :puke:

And the less said about his dreaming of giant worms, the better...

PITIFUL STUFF.

addition: And there are still grammatical errors and mis-spelled words - So much for Keith's editing abilities.
Freakzilla - "Apparently we can only aspire to be the 13th biggest Dune fan since we are not family or in the HLP."

Byron - "Are you trying to irk me?"
lotek

Post by lotek »

a brief appearance and a quick photoshop, as usual I suck at identifying fonts !

Spice is the worm's gonads.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Nice lake they've got there on Arrakis.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

"Uncollected"? Wasn't Sea Child in one of the paperback editions of The Road to Dune?

Edited to add: and "Treasure in the Sand" appeared in a paperback edition of Hunters of Dune. I'm not sure if that qualifies as being "collected",but it certainly has been published in book form before. (End Edit)

I wonder if this is a desperate attempt by KJA to retain some customer interest in his Dune fanfic until Shysterhood comes out next year. :think:

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Sorry for the double-post, but even the first "sentence" of Wedding Silk is full of fail.
Paul watched his mother in the withdrawing room of the Ecaz palace, Jessica seemed stoic and unruffled, not at all troubled about being left alone, and showing no sign that the situation bothered her.
So, let's see:
Paul watched his mother in the withdrawing room of the Ecaz palace,
Should be a full stop at the end of that sentence.
Jessica seemed stoic and unruffled,
Okay.
not at all troubled about being left alone,
Unruffled, then, I suppose.
and showing no sign that the situation bothered her.
Right. Unruffled. Being that she was, you know, stoic. Got it.

:roll:

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

:lol: Who needs an editor :P
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
lotek

Post by lotek »

indeed :)
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Freakzilla wrote:Nice lake they've got there on Arrakis.
:doh:

DuneFishUK wrote:(I like the font they use on the cover - cheeky fucker. You know he did it on purpose.)
There's gotta be something to sucker people in. I'm sure we all hoped for the best when House Atreides came out. :doh: Hunter's of Dune was written using Frank Herbert's notes! :doh: This book uses the Dune font on the cover! :hand: :naughty:

Fuck that shit! I'm not going for it.
I bring nothing to the table.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Just downloaded the sample onto my iPad and had a quick peek it.

Meter-long man-eating caterpillars?

Um... there were enormous insects on Earth in the past (the prehistoric, ANCIENT-in-geological-time-terms past) but IIRC the atmosphere was thicker and had a much higher oxygen content, making it possible for such insects to breathe. The reason we don't have bugs that big now is that, lacking lungs, they couldn't sufficiently oxygenate their tissues. (I trust someone with more knowledge of biology will correct me if I'm getting this wrong.)

Of course, this is an alien planet with alien insects. Maybe they have little lungs that oxygenate their blood? :roll:

Shitty rip-off. Not worth the price.

(And yes, the other two stories have appeared in print before.)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Shouldn't be any clouds, either. :doh:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Freakzilla wrote:Shouldn't be any clouds, either. :doh:

Ah, ha, ha! The clouds! You know what else? Those mountains aren't that tall, but their tops are covered in snow! I live in a desert, at the foot of some mountains that look to be about the same height, and have never seen that much cover. What I have seen occurs during the deep of winter (if it even happens)- it is very light and is there only for a few hours. It's gone soon after the sun comes up. More like frost. Now I'm just nitpicking.
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Those mountains don't look that tall (to me) because of the thick shoreline. I could be wrong. They could be ultra-tall, and that lake could be fucking HUGE. Also, I'm not a meteorologist. Nitpicking.
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Hunchback Jack wrote:
Jessica seemed stoic and unruffled,
Okay.
not at all troubled about being left alone,
Unruffled, then, I suppose.
and showing no sign that the situation bothered her.
Right. Unruffled. Being that she was, you know, stoic. Got it.

:roll:

HBJ
:doh: :lol: That is such shit.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

So, let me get this straight: we're in agreement that Jessica was stoic, unruffled, not troubled, and unbothered, right?

That might be the single-worst sentence ever written in English. I'm dead serious.

At this point, we can only be grateful that Keith was determined to be a writer and not a surgeon.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Sev

Post by Sev »

The Hacks wrote:Paul watched his mother in the withdrawing room of the Ecaz palace, Jessica seemed stoic and unruffled, not at all troubled about being left alone, and showing no sign that the situation bothered her.
Now that we've thoroughly annihilated that sentence for the shite that it is - I'll add another observation. If Paul is watching his mother, and they then have a conversation, then...

SHE. ISN'T. ALONE.

:doh:
Freakzilla - "Apparently we can only aspire to be the 13th biggest Dune fan since we are not family or in the HLP."

Byron - "Are you trying to irk me?"
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

TheDukester wrote:So, let me get this straight: we're in agreement that Jessica was stoic, unruffled, not troubled, and unbothered, right?

That might be the single-worst sentence ever written in English. I'm dead serious.

At this point, we can only be grateful that Keith was determined to be a writer and not a surgeon.
Sounds like another contest. Find the worst sentence in all of McDune! I'm willing to look back at some of my own reviews or even look at some lines at random, but I'll never go over those books again.

Maybe we could divide up the books so no one has to spend too much time on it. I do think it would be funny enough to pick out some of the worst though.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Here are some from Sandworms of Dune:

Page 110 A laugh that sounded like vinegar.

Page 161 It was spreading antiflood.

I just happened to have those lying around.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
lotek

Post by lotek »

Nekhrun wrote:Here are some from Sandworms of Dune:

Page 110 A laugh that sounded like vinegar.

Page 161 It was spreading antiflood.

I just happened to have those lying around.
A laugh that sounded like vinegar.
A prose that smelled like fart

It was spreading antiflood.
It that a period joke ?
trang

Post by trang »

More from these two? they have made enough from the other wrecks they have written, why can they leave it alone?

They have that hellhole series now, KJA has his own crap series hes doing. I have no idea what brian does, maybe just sits in an easy chair, colors with crayons, and sips whiskey?
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

trang wrote:I have no idea what brian does, maybe just sits in an easy chair, colors with crayons, and sips whiskey?

He seems like the slobbering type. Maybe he gets slobbering drunk.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I thought about a game/challenge: Open to a random page in McDune and find a continuity error.

Attempt 1 House Harkonnen: Page 279

Minor: No landmarks, so he uses coordinates to fly the ornithopter. Through a mountain range.

Attempt 2 Sandworms of Dune: Page 377

Baby Leto mentions that the Golden Path is coming to meet him, and its time to release the worms! Its suggested that the Golden Path is the sand dumping out of the cargo hold releasing the worms to fight in the machine city.

(The Golden Path was realized with the scattering, and isn't coming to meet anyone. It had very little to do with worms at all.)
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Mention of a contest reminds me: Do we want to do the Dune fanfic contest again this year?

If so, it needs to be started on a certain date in late June. ;)
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

SandChigger wrote:Mention of a contest reminds me: Do we want to do the Dune fanfic contest again this year?

This will be the one were we try to write real fanfic and show that we, fans, are better writers than the hacks, no?
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
trang

Post by trang »

Serkanner wrote:
SandChigger wrote:Mention of a contest reminds me: Do we want to do the Dune fanfic contest again this year?

This will be the one were we try to write real fanfic and show that we, fans, are better writers than the hacks, no?
Fanfic would be fun, but not needed to prove most folks on this board are better writers than the twits. Most folks who post here are more articulate and their posts have better prose than the 700+ page monstrosities written by the twits.

I dont consider myself in the group of posters who are better than them, but when I get out of this financial funk, I plan to go back to school for fun, and learn the skills for writing. Lots of ideas in my head, problem being, when they come out, its like boulders bouncing down a hill.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."