Archive: McDune Seepage

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

SandRider
Watermaster

Archive: McDune Seepage

Post by SandRider »

looked and could not find one thread devoted to collecting examples from the "general public"
of casual McDune seepage into general references to Frank's Dune ...

the criteria for these examples should first off exclude Anderclone quotes &etc (obviously);
I think the following is a good enough example for y'all to understand what I am driving at;
without digging around, I donot know if "minorwork" is an Anderclone or McDunie, or a Casual
Reader who read the McDune without thinking about, or (and more likely) has never read Frank
or McDune, but picked up his reference from some other shitheel on the net ...

the best of these examples should include some McDune concept quoted in context as if
it was from Frank's Dune ... the point will be to amass some evidence to support the claim
that the McDune has "tainted" Frank's Dune and Legacy ... (please repost example from
other threads &etc)
http://www.volconvo.com/forums/science- ... post813569" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

minorwork
Destroyer of Worlds
Darwin Among the Machines
Robots Successfully Invent Their Own Language - Technology News by ExtremeTech
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2 ... eedfetcher" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Will machines evolve? Will the next jihad be us against the machines?

In Frank Herbert's science fiction novel, mentats (melange enhanced trained human super computers) existed instead of computers. The thinking machines were banned, a result of the near annhilation of humankind by machines in a great war called the Butlerian Jihad. So named after Samuel Butler of the 19th century. Relevant to the present article about machines creating their own language is Butler's letter (published June 13, 1863) comparing the evolution of machines to the evolution of humans. Darwin Among the Machines:

We refer to the question: What sort of creature man’s next successor in the supremacy of the earth is likely to be. We have often heard this debated; but it appears to us that we are ourselves creating our own successors; we are daily adding to the beauty and delicacy of their physical organisation; we are daily giving them greater power and supplying by all sorts of ingenious contrivances that self-regulating, self-acting power which will be to them what intellect has been to the human race. In the course of ages we shall find ourselves the inferior race....

Day by day, however, the machines are gaining ground upon us; day by day we are becoming more subservient to them; more men are daily bound down as slaves to tend them, more men are daily devoting the energies of their whole lives to the development of mechanical life. The upshot is simply a question of time, but that the time will come when the machines will hold the real supremacy over the world and its inhabitants is what no person of a truly philosophic mind can for a moment question.

Darwin Among the Machines — [To the Editor of the Press, Christchurch, New Zealand, 13 June, 1863.] | NZETC
http://www.nzetc.org/tm/scholarly/tei-B ... -body.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If the terrain and the map do not agree, follow the terrain.
When motherhood becomes the fruit of a deep yearning, not the result of ignorance or accident, its children will become a new race.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008