Message from Japan

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Mr. Teg

Message from Japan

Post by Mr. Teg »

My family is now with my in-laws in a safer area but I still remain...
In case the situation at Fukushima goes from bad to worse quickly I thought it would be prudent to submit one last post before the fallout.

Byron is a pussy

Long live the fighters!
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
lotek

Re: Message from Japan

Post by lotek »

wow man this is crazy !!!

Bobo and the hack should be the ones getting that fucking fall out !!

Glad to hear your loved ones are safe and keep us posted when you can :)
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Mr. Teg wrote:My family is now with my in-laws in a safer area but I still remain...
In case the situation at Fukushima goes from bad to worse quickly I thought it would be prudent to submit one last post before the fallout.

Byron is a pussy

Long live the fighters!
Right on! Stay safe.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

He wants me to stop by and pick him up when I bug out.

Told him I would.

:laughing-rolling:

:P

(The radiation level posted at 23:30 — it's now 00:09 Friday — by City Hall was up 0.04 micro-sieverts/hour from around three hours before. That's still only 1.19 µSv/h. Not moving yet. :) )
lotek

Post by lotek »

SandChigger wrote:He wants me to stop by and pick him up when I bug out.

Told him I would.

:laughing-rolling:
the final joke :)
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Mr. Teg wrote:My family is now with my in-laws in a safer area but I still remain...

Byron is a pussy

Long live the fighters!
Let me know if you bug out to Sacto, my good man!

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Kojiro

Post by Kojiro »

lotek wrote:wow man this is crazy !!!

Bobo and the hack should be the ones getting that fucking fall out !!
BoBo might at least. There's some concern that if Fukushima goes completely, the fallout could reach as far as the western United States. Personally, I'm not looking forward to that possibility.
Has not religion claimed a patent on creation for all of these millennia?
-The Tleilaxu Question,
from Muad'dib Speaks
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Kojiro wrote:There's some concern that if Fukushima goes completely, the fallout could reach as far as the western United States.
Fucking media fanning the flames. :roll:

Radiation levels are down (here & around the plant) and they've got electricity hooked up to one of the coolant pumps now.

There were about 10 army fire trucks stopped over in Yotsukura (part of the city north and east of downtown, on the coast) around 10:00 for a break on their way up to Ohkuma & the plant. They're not doing army heli water drops today, but shooting in water from trucks on the ground. It may be coming under control...

Fingers crossed. :)
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

I wonder about the details in the story about getting electricity to the pumps.
God Bless those poor souls who're giving their lives to avoid disaster.
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
Kojiro

Post by Kojiro »

Ummm.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ds-newsxml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-The Tleilaxu Question,
from Muad'dib Speaks
Alpha Carinae

Post by Alpha Carinae »

Kojiro wrote:Ummm.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ds-newsxml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All you really need to know about that article is that it comes from the Daily Mail. ;)

There's a more sensible one about the nuclear hysteria here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12785274" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IMHO, the dire situation of 17,000 possible deaths, people's homes and land obliterated leaving hundreds of thousands displaced with little food, water and power is a far, far more pressing concern.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I'm more worried about the X-ray I had that afternoon before my dentist started working on replacing that old filling.

(He called me up Tuesday afternoon, I think it was, and asked me if I could make it downtown so he could fill in the hole. I went down and he put a temporary cap of some kind of goo over it. But the damned thing came out that night. Oh well. :roll: At least I was able to get some spending money out of the bank ATM and buy some snacks and things at a convenience store that happened to be open.)
Kojiro

Post by Kojiro »

Petkau effect. Google it.
-The Tleilaxu Question,
from Muad'dib Speaks
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I'm not liking you again .... google that.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Alpha Carinae

Post by Alpha Carinae »

Kojiro wrote:Petkau effect. Google it.
:roll:

Do you worry about the Petkau effect every time you eat a banana, when it might be more relevant?

Sievert. Google it.

I was being polite, but I think I'll remove the "IMHO" from my previous post: Without a shadow of a doubt, the tsunami is the real disaster here and has already caused far, far greater destruction than anything that could result from the nuclear crisis, which by all sensible reports is being brought under control. People on the US west coast buying out shoploads of iodine is nothing short of ludicrous.

Try googling "insensitive, fear mongering Daily Mail reader".
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Alpha Carinae wrote:People on the US west coast buying out shoploads of iodine is nothing short of ludicrous.
Ignorant of the real science, and not trusting the public officials saying there's no cause for worry, but also not showing much faith in the protection of that Big Sky Daddy that 80% or more claim to believe in when it's convenient or they're being surveyed... LOVE it.

Maybe the fucks will overdose and chlorinate the gene pool a bit. :lol:
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Good one Chig! But didn't you know? Nothing but immoral heathens live out on the west coast. ;-)

(For the new ones who don't know me, that was a joke)
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
Kojiro

Post by Kojiro »

Alpha Carinae wrote:
Kojiro wrote:Petkau effect. Google it.
:roll:

Do you worry about the Petkau effect every time you eat a banana, when it might be more relevant?

Sievert. Google it.
Considering that your banana is measured in decimals of millisierverts, your counterexample is a ridiculous exaggeration and thus is NOT relevant. Furthermore it does not invalidate the Petkau effect, and the centirad remains a monstrously higher number than your banana. The point of the Petkau effect is that radiation cannot be looked at linearly as "these are safe levels of radiation, it's okay to walk around in it." As Abram Petkau discovered, it's easier for a lower, constant dosage of rads to fuck you up than a short, higher dosage and last I checked, they haven't completely got a handle on the nuclear plant which means it's far from over.
I was being polite, but I think I'll remove the "IMHO" from my previous post: Without a shadow of a doubt, the tsunami is the real disaster here and has already caused far, far greater destruction than anything that could result from the nuclear crisis, which by all sensible reports is being brought under control. People on the US west coast buying out shoploads of iodine is nothing short of ludicrous.

Try googling "insensitive, fear mongering Daily Mail reader".
Google "ass." Seriously.

Are you denying the Daily Mail's report that the Fukushima plant boss cried? He looked pretty sad in that picture to me. And look at that, that's the NY Post with a Reuters article confirming the Daily Mail's story after all. WOWWW!! And here CBS San Francisco confirms the radiation reaching southern California.

What's your issue with the Daily Mail anyhow? It seems to have reported this one very well. Ah, but you like your state-owned government mouthpiece media organization, the BBC.

Tell me, in the UK, is every newspaper that isn't state owned labeled a "tabloid?" I find it odd that your "real reporters" are on a government paycheck.
-The Tleilaxu Question,
from Muad'dib Speaks
lotek

Post by lotek »

the daily mail is still shit though
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Eyes High wrote:Good one Chig! But didn't you know? Nothing but immoral heathens live out on the west coast. ;-)

(For the new ones who don't know me, that was a joke)
It is the land of fruits and nuts, after all.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Alpha Carinae

Post by Alpha Carinae »

Kojiro wrote:Ah, but you like your state-owned government mouthpiece media organization, the BBC.
:laughing:

You just gave up any credibility you have with that one statement. Sheer ignorance. And it gets better...
Tell me, in the UK, is every newspaper that isn't state owned labeled a "tabloid?" I find it odd that your "real reporters" are on a government paycheck.
I've stopped laughing at your ignorance just enough to answer. There is not one state-owned media organisation in the UK. Not one. And if you think the word tabloid has anything to do with state control, you're an utter moron.

Google "ass"? Who is the one who was rude and arrogant enough to start that trend, exactly? I'm not going to bother arguing about radiation any more, because you don't seem to have any grasp on the mechanics. If you want to live in constant fear though, go ahead. It's pretty terrifying that that big, bad, invisible radiation all around you all the time isn't it? You know what's even worse? Just one particle of ionising radiation could cause your death! The same particles that stream through your body all the time... Better go get some iodine.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

OH GOD! THE RADIATION LEVEL HAS GONE UP 0.05 µSv/h COMPARED TO YESTERDAY!!! LET ME OUT OF HERE! I'M HEADING FOR THE AIRPORT!!! :angry-screaming:

Not. :roll:

Heading for the airport yet, I mean. ;)

The level down around City Hall has been above the 0.80 µSV/h most of today, up from the upper 0.70s most of yesterday, but still down from the 1.10s we were seeing most of the week. Up in Fukushima City, they've had rates as high as 12.0 µSv/h.

I'm far more concerned about the aftershocks. We're still having lots of them daily, and there was a pretty large one last night and another one late this afternoon. The highway's supposed to open up to non-emergency traffic tomorrow morning (errr, this morning), but it's a holiday, so I'll call down Tuesday to see if they're still limiting the amount of time they're letting people into the Humanities Building. (If they're still holding people to just two hours, there's not much point in me making the trip all the way down there yet.)

Anyway, hopefully they'll start getting more gasoline and supplies into the city. And more replacement parts and personnel to work on the infrastructure. It's just going to take time. :)

As for all the radiation bullshit... I never wanted to live forever anyway. :lol:
lotek

Post by lotek »

do you glow in the dark yet ?

Kojiro

Post by Kojiro »

Alpha Carinae wrote:
Kojiro wrote:Ah, but you like your state-owned government mouthpiece media organization, the BBC.
:laughing:

You just gave up any credibility you have with that one statement. Sheer ignorance. And it gets better...
I've stopped laughing at your ignorance just enough to answer. There is not one state-owned media organisation in the UK. Not one. And if you think the word tabloid has anything to do with state control, you're an utter moron.

Google "ass"? Who is the one who was rude and arrogant enough to start that trend, exactly? I'm not going to bother arguing about radiation any more, because you don't seem to have any grasp on the mechanics. If you want to live in constant fear though, go ahead. It's pretty terrifying that that big, bad, invisible radiation all around you all the time isn't it? You know what's even worse? Just one particle of ionising radiation could cause your death! The same particles that stream through your body all the time... Better go get some iodine.
Who's ignorant?
The British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) is the principal state-owned public service broadcaster in the United Kingdom, headquartered in the Broadcasting House in the City of Westminster, London. It is the largest broadcaster in the world, with about 23,000 staff. Its main responsibility is to provide public service broadcasting in the United Kingdom, Channel Islands and Isle of Man.
That's from the BBC's damn Wikipedia article. You're just... wrong.
-The Tleilaxu Question,
from Muad'dib Speaks
Alpha Carinae

Post by Alpha Carinae »

Yes, I typed state-owned when I meant state-run. Congratulations. :roll:

But you don't seem to understand that state-owned =/= government owned.

The BBC is a public corporation, NOT a government department, that operates under a royal charter that guarantees its independance from government. It is run by a trust that is uttery, completely seperate from the state and in no way is it a "government mouthpiece media organization". That is ignorant. Just as ignorant as your claim about newspapers. UK reorters are not on a government paycheck, including those in the BBC. In fact, rather than being a "mouthpiece", the BBC is often criticised by the government for leaning away from their policies when they should be neutral.

Seriously, don't tell people who actually know what the BBC do that it's a "government mouthpeice" or that UK reporters are on a government paycheck when you know nothing about it. It's highly offensive and also makes you look like a fool.