The Backpacking Chronicles

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Mr. Teg

The Backpacking Chronicles

Post by Mr. Teg »

The following are from Brian Herbert on Bruce Taylor's website
Brian Herbert wrote:He's also my backpacking buddy (Bruce Taylor or Mr. Magic), on many a trip into the untrammeled wilderness of the Pacific Northwest. On a regular basis-whenever he feels overwhelmed by the burdens and B.S. of civilization - Bruce needs to go out and commune with nature, where it recharges his batteries Image. I remember one evening in particular when we watched the incredible gathering of dusk over the Enchantment Lakes. :romance-adore:The sky changed as the purple swept over us :romance-kisslips:, and moments later - far to the west, beyond trees and mountains - we noticed an eerie, sickly yellow glow, reminding us that we had not escaped after all. It was the lights of Seattle against the sky, from seventy-five miles away.
The source of KJA's and Bobo's tiff during the last tour?
Brian Herbert wrote:To a large degree this has to do with his attempt to understand his parents and in particular his father, and in this regard, I am a kindred spirit with him. Joseph Campbell once said that the quest for one's father is a hero's journey, and I know from personal experience that it can be an ardous, painful pursuit, but one that can lead to incredible enlightenment. Much of Bruce Taylor's prose is written from the perspective of a bright child, one who is in some pain but overcomes it by seeing the world of adults as truly bizarre, whimsical and weird. It's important to realize that Bruce's stories are not strange; the world is, and he's separated himself from it in order to show us new realities, with remarkable clarity and insight.
He never really grew up...
His own novels are childish and twisted like his view of the world.
Brian Herbert wrote:ruce and I are in an eclectic writing group that comprises quite a range of personalities and talents, including: Linda Shepherd (a feminist writer who is also a Ph.D. biochemist); Cal Clawson (a writer of math books and western novels); Marie Landis (a science fiction/fantasy writer who is an accomplished painter); and Phyllis Lambert (a scientist who writes about human aging and about monkeys in car washes). Somewhere in all of this, Bruce and I seem to fit in, or at least we haven't been asked to leave yet. At our Friday evening sessions, the conversations are catholic (with a small "c") ranging from Plato, Einstein and vampires to debates over whether the fisherman in one of our stories should haul up a human toe or an eyeball. To catagorize the members of our group (and Bruce to a large extent), it might be said that we're interested in everything, and we're a support group for the fragile creative psyches of writers. Bruce is an integral part of this, and for years, I have appreciated his intellectual input and emotioanal support.
Freudian slip!
Emotioanal is the original text!
Last edited by Mr. Teg on 05 Feb 2011 23:07, edited 3 times in total.
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
TheDukester

Re: The Backpacking Chronicles

Post by TheDukester »

I just have so little patience for this nonsense:

" ... whenever he feels overwhelmed by the burdens and B.S. of civilization ... "

Yeah, there's a word for people like that: weak.

Look, hiking/biking/running/swimming/kayaking/whatever is great, the outdoors is great, and getting some genuine exercise and breathing clean air is great. I've got no problem at all with any of that. But don't waste my time with how rough the real world is or how tough you've got it, and how your sensitive artistic temperament requires that you somehow escape the real world. It's bullshit.

I'm guessing this is why I have so little patience for Bobo in general. He's a recluse who has tuned out the world for many years now. Just puts his name on the annual McDune and lives off the interest. Fucking spineless jellyfish.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Yeah. And here's another word for it: coward.
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Mr. Teg wrote:Linda Shepherd (a feminist writer who is also a Ph.D. biochemist); Cal Clawson (a writer of math books and western novels); Marie Landis (a science fiction/fantasy writer who is an accomplished painter); and Phyllis Lambert (a scientist who writes about human aging and about monkeys in car washes).
I'm full of words today! Here's one for all of these social misfits:

unpublished
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

TheDukester wrote:
Mr. Teg wrote:Linda Shepherd (a feminist writer who is also a Ph.D. biochemist); Cal Clawson (a writer of math books and western novels); Marie Landis (a science fiction/fantasy writer who is an accomplished painter); and Phyllis Lambert (a scientist who writes about human aging and about monkeys in car washes).
I'm full of words today! Here's one for all of these social misfits:

unpublished
You mean like the social misfits of Hellhole? :D
CHOAM
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Um, the date on all this stuff is 1998, right? So BoBo's been cheatin' on Kevie all these years?

WAY TO GO, BOBES! :laughing:
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

SandChigger wrote:Um, the date on all this stuff is 1998, right? So BoBo's been cheatin' on Kevie all these years?

The date was interesting back in 1998.
The atmosphere of the whole thing struck me like Bobo's finally coming out of the closet or something.
CHOAM
Kojiro

Post by Kojiro »

"Monkeys in car washes?" :?
Has not religion claimed a patent on creation for all of these millennia?
-The Tleilaxu Question,
from Muad'dib Speaks
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Mr. Teg wrote:
SandChigger wrote:Um, the date on all this stuff is 1998, right? So BoBo's been cheatin' on Kevie all these years?

The date was interesting back in 1998.
The atmosphere of the whole thing struck me like Bobo's finally coming out of the closet or something.
Might've been. That was back before all the criticism started in ernest. He certainl comes off as overly sensitive. Maybe the Dune criticism pushed him back into his closet.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

we watched the incredible gathering of dusk
what the fuck ...?
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

It's pretty gqy. :?
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

I'll chalk that up as another reason I think TheKevin write all of the McDune stuff. Bobo's "writing" is just dire.

Anderhack's writing might be boring, bland, one-dimensional, and predictable, but he does manage to line up words into sentences ... sentences into paragraphs ... paragraphs into pages.

Bobo ... ? Not so much.
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

BH wrote:the purple swept over us
This makes my nipples hard.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
lotek

Post by lotek »

SandRider wrote:
we watched the incredible gathering of dusk
what the fuck ...?
what the dusk ?
Spice is the worm's gonads.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Yeah, these are sounding like Very Special™ trips ...

(All together now: "Not that there's anything wrong with that.")