List of space-stuff in McDune...

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Lundse

List of space-stuff in McDune...

Post by Lundse »

As stated elsewhere, the KJA approach to writing has become something of a joke to me, especially after Dukester pointed something very important out:
TheDukester wrote:Because Kevin J. Anderprick has no imagination.
All he can do is take the contemporary things he sees around him and add a few SF-sounding words around them. Thus, shopping malls in space ... circuses and entertainment that are exactly like their modern versions ... and your example: Guild ships that are pretty much just the Pacific Princess.
So, as a side project to the discrepency list, I thought we should make a "just like here/in common pop culture, except in space"-list.

If this works out, we could collect it on one post - so let's keep them short, description-wise.

(Maybe we should have a "just like in Dune"-list too - with eg. the Tleilaxu/Sardukar attack on Ix...?)

---

Circus with amazing performers, which you can run off to and have young-adult adventures. With hypnotism and... in space!

A huge cruise ship (to explore as a young adult), with guest from all over the planet... uh, galaxy. Only without water, but... in space!

Luggage stickers, to proclaim proudly where you have travelled (for those without modesty or any need for secrecy or privacy) - only you signal your destinations... in space!

An evil machine trying to eradicate mankind, like in the Terminator franchise, except the war is on multiple planets and even in... space itself!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Re: List of space-stuff in McDune...

Post by SandChigger »

Rheinvar's top hat is described as "old-fashioned" ... which I believe applies now as well. ;)

Vorian's sons are described as "renting an apartment".

What else...
Kojiro

Post by Kojiro »

*Dies from a seizure.* .....!
Has not religion claimed a patent on creation for all of these millennia?
-The Tleilaxu Question,
from Muad'dib Speaks
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

The Fremen going all Viking-Pillage happy on Kaitain?
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

I'm a little unclear Lundse, are those the things you mean? Like the luggage stickers?
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

(Damn. I woke up at 3:30 this morning and had another one and was going to write it down but I looked at the clock and thought, I'll be up in an hour and a half anyway and will still remember it. But I didn't. Just remembered waking up now. Damn. Maybe it'll come to me....)
Lundse

Post by Lundse »

D Pope wrote:I'm a little unclear Lundse, are those the things you mean? Like the luggage stickers?
The luggage stickers are the perfect example, yes. Anything that is "just like here" (or just like on tv), except transposed to the McDune setting (could be adding "in space", could also be "spice-mortgages" or "plast-porcelain figures".
Alpha Carinae

Post by Alpha Carinae »

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SpaceX" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Like normal stuff... but waaaaay cooler cos it's in space! Or in the future! Or both! Keeeewwwl. :roll:

(Don't click this link unless you're happy loosing severel hours of your life) :D
Kojiro

Post by Kojiro »

I'm already familiar with TV Tropes, thank you very much.
-The Tleilaxu Question,
from Muad'dib Speaks
lotek

Post by lotek »

tropes make me feel tropey
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Alpha Carinae

Post by Alpha Carinae »

Kojiro wrote:I'm already familiar with TV Tropes, thank you very much.
I already lost about an afternoon thanks to this thread... and then completely forgot why I was there in the first place heheh.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Alpha Carinae wrote:
Kojiro wrote:I'm already familiar with TV Tropes, thank you very much.
I already lost about an afternoon thanks to this thread... and then completely forgot why I was there in the first place heheh.
Mission accomplished! :D
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Luggage stickers = Security Checks = "Bureaucracy is the best form of Dictatorship" - Fine... except for KJA's terrible execution.

KJA is a bottom-of-the-barrel rent-a-hack, but the humans in Dune are the same as us, society evolves, but it doesn't change beyond recognition.

People will still want to see their house from space (because it looks awesome) and plast-porcelain might be some sort of cold-cast filled epoxy... :think: (Although it is fair to point out that none of this ever occurred to Keith)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

DuneFishUK wrote:Luggage stickers = Security Checks = "Bureaucracy is the best form of Dictatorship" - Fine... except for KJA's terrible execution.

That would be a very interesting kind of thing to write about, but Kevin J. Anderson and Briant Herbert have proven themselves to be utterly incapable of developing ideas like this. I guarantee you the luggage stickers are not there as a comment on bureaucracy and dictatorships, it's a cheap plot device designed to give them an excuse for Jessica to think about the fact that lots of things have happened to her.

The closest they've come to writing about fascism is having Erasmus put a guy's head in a jar, sow his arms and legs to two lab assistants, and have those lab assistants feed the head "flesh cookies" made out of people. Their approach to subject matter like that is not to discuss Hannah Arendt, it's Brian saying to Kevin, "Let's add a dash of Mengele." Or Kevin watching a History Channel documentary about Julius Caeser and instructing his editor to insert the word "patrician" whenever possible.

They are fucking morons.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
lotek

Post by lotek »

That they are, that they are...
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Kojiro

Post by Kojiro »

merkin muffley wrote:
DuneFishUK wrote:Luggage stickers = Security Checks = "Bureaucracy is the best form of Dictatorship" - Fine... except for KJA's terrible execution.

That would be a very interesting kind of thing to write about, but Kevin J. Anderson and Briant Herbert have proven themselves to be utterly incapable of developing ideas like this. I guarantee you the luggage stickers are not there as a comment on bureaucracy and dictatorships, it's a cheap plot device designed to give them an excuse for Jessica to think about the fact that lots of things have happened to her.

The closest they've come to writing about fascism is having Erasmus put a guy's head in a jar, sow his arms and legs to two lab assistants, and have those lab assistants feed the head "flesh cookies" made out of people. Their approach to subject matter like that is not to discuss Hannah Arendt, it's Brian saying to Kevin, "Let's add a dash of Mengele." Or Kevin watching a History Channel documentary about Julius Caeser and instructing his editor to insert the word "patrician" whenever possible.

They are fucking morons.
I'm not even sure Joseph Mengele would have done something that stupid. More than likely that scene was done for shock.
-The Tleilaxu Question,
from Muad'dib Speaks
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

"Let's add a dash of Mengele" is something I read in an interview. I think it was KJA quoting Brian Herbert, talking about how they "riffed with each other."
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Yup, that sounds familiar. :doh:
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

From the "Sand in my Shoes" Interview:
Herbert and Anderson share a comfortable writing partnership and they spend many hours brainstorming plot and characters for each book.
"Sometimes we have a story idea and have to create a character to fit the actions," said Anderson. "Other times we have a vivid character who naturally goes in certain directions. We talk out the books in detail and when we divide the chapters, we can usually determine which of us is best suited to write a character or scene. For example, with The Machine Crusade, I fell in love with Selim Wormrider and therefore wrote the first draft of most of those chapters; Brian was particularly fond of Norma Cenva, the scientist, so he took that storyline. But by the time we're done, we've each gone over each other's chapters so many times we own them all jointly."
Herbert continued, "I usually write the first draft of the Erasmus character. Kevin came up with a character -- a Thinking Machine who was researching what it was like to be human -- and I said let's add (the Nazi medical researcher) Dr Mengele to him and make him really dark and strange. Then Kevin laughed and said, 'Boy Brian, I don't know if I can write that, you'd better do it!' He wasn't saying that couldn't write it -- it was just a little dig that only my twisted mind could write that character. So we have a lot of fun. We riff off each other, like a musical performance."
From the Hunters of Dune Audiobook Interview:
KJA: I think [Erasmus is] probably the best character that we’ve created in all of these books, I just really love Erasmus.

BH: And you know, Erasmus is a concept of Kevin’s, and then he had me ... And then I said, “Well, why don’t we add, like a Joseph Mengele aspect to this character?” - that’s the Nazi doctor of death – and then Kevin said to me, “Well, that sounds really sick, Brian, maybe you better write the first draft on that one.” But he was definitely a composite between Kevin and me.

KJA: Oh, we kind of fight over who got to write those chapters. I think we split them half and half just because they were so much fun.
HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Hunchback Jack wrote:From the "Sand in my Shoes" Interview:
of KJA BH wrote:and then he had me ...
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

of KJA BH wrote:
inhuien wrote:
Hunchback Jack wrote:From the "Sand in my Shoes" Interview:
of KJA BH wrote:and then he had me ...
... And then I said, “Well...
:clap: :lol: :clap:
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Thanks, HBJ!
Hunchback Jack wrote:
KJA: I think [Erasmus is] probably the best character that we’ve created in all of these books, I just really love Erasmus.
:roll: :doh:
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

merkin muffley wrote:Thanks, HBJ!
Hunchback Jack wrote:
:roll: :doh:
And that's one Bobo created! :lol: Pathetic!
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Bobo Herbert is a pretty sick individual, all kidding aside. "Issues" doesn't begin to cover it with that guy.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Kojiro

Post by Kojiro »

Too bad it came out stupid and not dark and twisted at all.
-The Tleilaxu Question,
from Muad'dib Speaks