A sad state of affairs.....or is it?

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Unfront

A sad state of affairs.....or is it?

Post by Unfront »

Today I visited Borders to do some Christmas shopping when I took a glance at the Sci Fi section. My blood started boiling when I saw that the DUNE section on the shelf was pure McDune...not one, I repeat, not one FH DUNE book was anywhere to be found!!! :evil:

Then I realized, that the Borders that I was in was closing down and prices were marked way WAY down. My anger soon turned into joy once I came to the realization that the all of the original series has been bought up. Since the store was closing, no further restock orders were placed. All that's left are the table scraps. :twisted:
Anything Dune not written by Frank Herbert is simply Fan Fiction.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: A sad state of affairs.....or is it?

Post by Freakzilla »

:tissue2:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Bitterweet for sure, i've noticed similar at used bookstores.

It's become a hobby for me to rearrange books in order, pissing off the man at the airport in San Diego- he seemed to like McDune.
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I generally see more McDune than Dune in book stores, though the Dune does seem to be surrounded by empty spaces while the McDune is pretty full. So I can hope, hope, that the originals are outselling the new ones.

That said, I have a sinking feeling that there's an almost unending stream of old Dune fans who wander past and see new books, grab a book out of curiousity, maybe buy more maybe not. Looking at past sales for Dune, that kind of scenario alone could cause McDune to outsell original Dune (after all, most those old fans will have copies, or maybe not feel like a re-read).

I don't know... it's a little painful sometimes and so I try to justify why there's more of the junk than the good. Hopefully I'm right.
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

I had reason, the other day, to find a used copy of Dune and after calling EVERY used bookstore in the book- came up dry. There were lots of McDune available.
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Locally, I don't see the McDunes moving at all. The originals seem to move slowly, leading me to believe that none of the dumbasses around here actually read.

In the humor department, though, both of our major chain stores have Anderhack shelved on a bottom shelf. :lol:
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

TheDukester wrote:In the humor department, though, both of our major chain stores have Anderhack shelved on a bottom shelf. :lol:
Is that through your efforts or theirs?

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

you know, that reminds me, I ain't staged a drunken rant in the "H'" section of Hastings for quite some time ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Omphalos wrote:Is that through your efforts or theirs?
I'd love to take credit, but can't. It's just good luck for the readers of Northern Nevada.

I do, however, cover up his books and/or move some of them behind obscure cookbooks and that sort of thing.

Note to Brian Conway: And you know what, Bri-Guy? I laugh my ass off when I'm doing it, too.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Kojiro

Post by Kojiro »

TheDukester wrote: In the humor department, though, both of our major chain stores have Anderhack shelved on a bottom shelf. :lol:
From what I've heard, they're not even decent enough to be considered humor.
Has not religion claimed a patent on creation for all of these millennia?
-The Tleilaxu Question,
from Muad'dib Speaks
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

In my local Border's I always seem to find McDune in YA, shelved behind all the spillover Harry potter and Twilight books.
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

It was the same when my Borders was closing down - Frank gets shipped out to surviving stores or insta-bought, leaving the McDune dregs until the bitter end. :wink:
SandRider wrote:you know, that reminds me, I ain't staged a drunken rant in the "H'" section of Hastings for quite some time ...
Ya Hya Chouhada :lol:
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Unfront

Post by Unfront »

TheDukester wrote:
I do, however, cover up his books and/or move some of them behind obscure cookbooks and that sort of thing.

Note to Brian Conway: And you know what, Bri-Guy? I laugh my ass off when I'm doing it, too.

Okay, I have to come clean.....I am guilty of doing the same thing!!!! And yes, I do laugh my ass off when I do it too!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Anything Dune not written by Frank Herbert is simply Fan Fiction.