HACKMATICS! (Formerly "Anderhack rants and raves!")

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Kojiro

Re: HACKMATICS! (Formerly "Anderhack rants and raves!")

Post by Kojiro »

Freakzilla wrote:Awards

Blindfold: 1996 preliminary Nebula Award nominee
Resurrection Inc.: nominated for Bram Stoker Award
Ground Zero: #1 on The Sunday Times best seller list and voted "Best Science Fiction Novel of 1995" by readers of SFX magazine
Guinness World Record for "Largest Single Author Signing" (previously set by General Colin Powell and Howard Stern)
Novels with Beason: nominated for the Nebula Award and the American Physical Society's "Forum" award
Ruins: on the New York Times best seller list (The first X-Files novel to do so) and voted the "Best Science Fiction Novel of 1996"
Young Jedi Knights Series: New York Times best sellers, winner of 1999 Golden Duck Award (middle grades) for excellence in science fiction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_J._Anderson#Awards" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Those are "awards?" How the hell are nominations "awards?" Golden Duck? Meh.
Has not religion claimed a patent on creation for all of these millennia?
-The Tleilaxu Question,
from Muad'dib Speaks
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

well now, he did win that award for "Best Comic Book Hacked into a Novel" from the Greater Boulder Mens' Gardening Society ...

wait, no ... he tied somebody for it ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Sev

Post by Sev »

I think it's high time we started a 'KJA reBUTTal thread' in which we put the facts to Keith's lies.
That "my novels have won or been nominated for most of the major awards in my field" quote is complete and utter bollocks, as TheDukester has already pointed out, and the "I can point to the fact that 47 of my books have hit national or international bestseller lists, including 19 on the New York Times list" quote isn't any better.
The facts on this one, though, are a little harder to come by, as who knows what the bloody hell he means by 'international bestseller'?? He blogged in the distant past, when down under, that a SaggySuns book had topped a chart there - in his sad little mind does that count?
The New York Times list is a little easier to check out - and, what do you know, he's talking bollocks again. If you take the the NYT List as being the 15 best-selling hardbacks, which most people do, then I make it that he's had 13 on that list, for an awe-inspiring total of 36 weeks! (The Da Vinci Code was #1 on the list for 57 weeks by way of an unfair comparison)
Here's a breakdown:
Title-------------------Weeks on Chart----Month/Year---------Highest position

Darksaber (Star Wars)------3--------------10/11-95-----------------12
Ruins (X-Files)-------------2---------------6-96---------------------14
Ai! Pedrito! (with LRH)------1---------------7-96--------------------15
House Atreides------------4---------------10/11-99-----------------12
House Harkonnen----------4---------------10/11-00-----------------8
House Corrino-------------4---------------10/11-01------------------8
Butlerian Jihad-------------3---------------10-02--------------------7
Machine Crusade----------2---------------10-03---------------------7
Battle of Corrin------------4---------------9-04----------------------9
Hunters of Dune-----------3---------------9-06----------------------3
Sandworms of Dune-------4---------------8/9-07--------------------4
Paul of Dune--------------1---------------10-08---------------------11
Winds of Dune------------1---------------8-09----------------------15

So, of the 13 - 10 are McDune 'collaborations' with Bobo (note the diminishing returns), 1 is the most ridiculed Star Wars book ever, 1 is an X-files book, and 1 is a 'dead author collaboration' with L. Ron Hubbard that the massed ranks of Scientologists presumably bulk-bought in their thousands, for one week. Not an original novel in sight, not that any of those get anywhere close to a hardback release...

So, once again, the 'facts' state that Kevin J. Anderson lies out of his FAT ARSE.
Freakzilla - "Apparently we can only aspire to be the 13th biggest Dune fan since we are not family or in the HLP."

Byron - "Are you trying to irk me?"
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Note how the "weeks on chart" and "highest" drop as the McDune books continue. :lol:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Yeah. And aren't they going to be happy when that drop is NOT halted by a midcourse series change-oh-switcheroo! :lol:
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Good research there, Sev. Another nail pounded into the coffin of Keith's "best-seller" claims.

I'd wondered if maybe the first Saggy Suns book snuck onto the NYT list, but apparently not. So 100-percent of Anderhack's NYT appearances are based on the work of other authors. What a farce.

As far as the international thing: yes, he'll gladly claim any list, anywhere. He's like the scene at the end of Spinal Tap, where Nigel returns to inform the band that one of their old singles is like #18 in Japan for no apparent reason.

What's amazing is that Keith just doesn't get that this sort of thing is about half the reason he's so universally loathed. He's a self-promoting buffoon who manipulates statistics and brags endlessly about accomplishments that aren't his.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

Some F'tarded writer-guy wrote:Yes, the snobs who see an author’s byline on too many book covers over the course of a year may assume that the novels are rushed or sloppy, when in fact the author may well have spent as many hours or more on each manuscript as a one-book-a-year, part-time writer does.
:| :( ... :!: :confusion-scratchheadyellow:

:naughty:
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Simple math eh?

100+ books, divided by 0 awards....

That equals Hack right? Am I right there? Or is it Deluded Fool. Or both. Or maybe half of each.

What that they say about doing the same thing over and over again and getting the same result?

So the snobs take 1 year to write a book, which may or may not be good. The Hack takes 11 weeks to write a book that will not be good.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Ampoliros wrote:100+ books, divided by 0 awards....
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

:lol: I just knew that pic was coming.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

;)

What's funny is that the other way around it actually works as an award-productivity efficiency metric.

0 awards / 100 books = 0 award-books

Kevin J. Anderson has no abs. :lol:
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

amp wrote:So the snobs take 1 year to write a book, which may or may not be good.
Frank wrote: When I was writing Dune ... there was no room in my mind for concerns about the book's success or failure. I was concerned only with the writing.
Six years of research had preceded the day I sat down to put the story together ...
ImageImage

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Well, we already knew that KJA really has no respect for FH. It's all just been lip service. And now that he's closing in on having written twice as many Dune books as FH.... :roll:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

SandChigger wrote: And now that he's closing in on having written twice as many Dune books as FH.... :roll:
Which of course means he's twice the Author Frank ever was. :puke:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Of course! Compared to The Writing Machine, Frank Herbert was just a scribbler. :roll:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

You're right, for instance, I was rereading the plowboy interview on T (A) U last night and he presented himself as a thoughtfully individualistic individual. I was flabbergasted, how are the legions of mediocrity to feel self-satisfied when he selfishly promotes such composed enlightenment.
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

I read that again recently as well. It's so good! Must bother myself to join T(A)U sometime...
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

C'mon down!

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!