Buy your name into a Hack book

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Serkanner
Administrator

Buy your name into a Hack book

Post by Serkanner »

I shit you not! Bring out those wallets and lets highhack this book!

http://kjablog.com/?p=1252

For those not wanting to besmirch themselves by clicking a KJA link:

Prominent Authors, Television Writers Offer Character Names, Book Group Packages To Raise Money For First Amendment Project in eBay Charity Auction

http://3.ly/fapauction" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Auction Starts November 26

Rebecca and I are offering to name a character in our third “Star Challengers” novel, Asteroid Crisis, to the highest bidder in the auction for the First Amendment Project, described below. The winner will have their name (or some agreed-upon variation thereof) included at least once in the novel, will receive an autographed copy of the manuscript, and an autographed copy of the published novel (release date late spring 2011). To find out more about the Star Challengers series, see http://www.starchallengers.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. The auction for our character name runs from November 26–December 6.

PRESS RELEASE

Thirty prominent authors, representing a variety of literary genres, are offering the winning bidders the chance to have their names included in works of fiction in a charity auction launching on eBay on November 26, 2010. Participating authors include Jenji Kohan, the creator of the Showtime series “Weeds,”Andrew Sean Greer, Ayelet Waldman, Ben Katchor, Chris Ware, Dan Chaon, Dan Gutman, Dave Eggers, Derek Haas, Elinor Lipman, Francine Prose, Jane Smiley, Janet Burroway, Joshua Ferris, Kevin J. Anderson & Rebecca Moesta, Lorrie Moore, Margot Livesey, Mona Simpson, Nami Mun, Patrick DeWitt, Phillip Margolin, Rick Moody, Robert Mailer Anderson, Sarah Shun-Lien Bynum, Stacey D‚Erasmo, Stuart Woods, Suzanne Brockmann, T Campbell, Thomas Perry, Vendela Vida and Walter Kirn. In addition, authors Laura Benedict and Lisa See are offering “book club packages,” in which they supply multiple copies of one of their books and make a telephone call to the group.

The auction is a benefit for First Amendment Project, the Oakland, CA-based nonprofit organization that provides free legal services on public interest free speech and free press issues.

In addition to the character name, the winning bidder in the “Weeds” auction will receive a signed copy of the pilot script, the box set of DVDs of the first five seasons of the series and a “Weeds” baseball cap.

Among the other opportunities available at the auction, which can be found at http://3.ly/fapauction" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; include the chance to be an FBI agent or a stripper with a heart of gold in the next entry in Suzanne Brockmann’s Troubleshooters series; a villain or a victim in Thomas Perry’s next entry in the Jane Whitefield series, a wounded World War I soldier or drunken Bohemian in Andrew Sean Greer’s next novel, as a character in a new musical by Janet Burroway, or a character in a cartoon series by Ben Katchor, Chris Ware or T Campbell. Young adult authors Dan Gutman and Kevin J. Anderson & Rebecca Moesta are offering character names in the next entries in their Baseball Card Adventures and Star Challengers series, respectively.

This is the third character name auction for First Amendment Project. The first two auctions, held in 2005 and 2006, earned over $170,000 for the organization.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: Buy your name into a Hack book

Post by Freakzilla »

Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Let's pool our money and back Chig for this.

Oh, the humility we can serve him. Can you just imagine Chig and KJA going back and forth on his SF'nal name? :lol: I'll bet that he would want your character to be something like "Dick Craig" or something like that.

Or even better he finds out who it is and refuses!

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Omphalos wrote:Let's pool our money and back Chig for this.

Oh, the humility we can serve him. Can you just imagine Chig and KJA going back and forth on his SF'nal name? :lol: I'll bet that he would want your character to be something like "Dick Craig" or something like that.

That would be awesome.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Kojiro

Post by Kojiro »

Serkanner wrote: Thirty prominent authors, representing a variety of literary genres, are offering the winning bidders the chance to have their names included in works of fiction in a charity auction launching on eBay on November 26, 2010. Participating authors include Jenji Kohan, the creator of the Showtime series “Weeds,”Andrew Sean Greer, Ayelet Waldman, Ben Katchor, Chris Ware, Dan Chaon, Dan Gutman, Dave Eggers, Derek Haas, Elinor Lipman, Francine Prose, Jane Smiley, Janet Burroway, Joshua Ferris, Kevin J. Anderson & Rebecca Moesta, Lorrie Moore, Margot Livesey, Mona Simpson, Nami Mun, Patrick DeWitt, Phillip Margolin, Rick Moody, Robert Mailer Anderson, Sarah Shun-Lien Bynum, Stacey D‚Erasmo, Stuart Woods, Suzanne Brockmann, T Campbell, Thomas Perry, Vendela Vida and Walter Kirn. In addition, authors Laura Benedict and Lisa See are offering “book club packages,” in which they supply multiple copies of one of their books and make a telephone call to the group.
Aside from Hackerson, I don't recognize any of these names, so they aren't really all that "prominent."
Has not religion claimed a patent on creation for all of these millennia?
-The Tleilaxu Question,
from Muad'dib Speaks
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Omphalos wrote:Let's pool our money and back Chig for this.

That was the first idea that came to my mind as well. I gladly put in a $100 to see this happen.

and wrote a Dune Novel."
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Young adult authors Dan Gutman and Kevin J. Anderson & Rebecca Moesta
Well, at least they categorized the hack & wifey accurately. ;)

You have to WIN the auction. I don't see that happening. ;)

What's this charity about, anyway?
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
lotek

Post by lotek »

I'd donate some money to see a R.C. character in one of the hack's book, definitely.

I think the charity is "Save the Walrus" or "One Man One Growler".
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Let's keep an eye on the bidding. I'll chip in as well. Maybe we should do this at the clubhouse.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
lotek

Post by lotek »

yeah good idea
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Chig in a KJA book? Beautiful. It would almost make me believe in miracles and a higher power.

Anyone else notice that they call themselves FAP? :laughing:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

If you support the cause, First Amendment Project, donate directly and don't give ebay their cut. Or do ebay waive it for charities?
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Kojiro wrote:Aside from Hackerson, I don't recognize any of these names, so they aren't really all that "prominent."
I recognized one name.

"Prominent," my ass. "Bunch of wannabees who attend KJA-esque seminars and sell ebooks to each other" would seem to be more accurate.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

TheDukester wrote:
Kojiro wrote:Aside from Hackerson, I don't recognize any of these names, so they aren't really all that "prominent."
I recognized one name.

"Prominent," my ass. "Bunch of wannabees who attend KJA-esque seminars and sell ebooks to each other" would seem to be more accurate.
Which should mean there will not be enormous amounts donated, so we do stand a decent change to buy us in "cheap", in utter Hackerson style as well.

and wrote a Dune Novel."
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

I'd seen Rick Moody's name before. He's an actual writer.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Kojiro

Post by Kojiro »

Really, what has he written and why is he hanging out with peeps like Hackerson?
Has not religion claimed a patent on creation for all of these millennia?
-The Tleilaxu Question,
from Muad'dib Speaks
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Rick Moody wrote "The Ice Storm", which was a good movie, and I think he's probably a pretty good writer. There's also Dave Eggars, who I'm not terribly interested in, but who's definitely a hell of a lot more interesting than Kevin J. Anderson.

But it's whatever. Point is, it would be awesome if KJA was forced to put SC in his stupid-ass book.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Chris Ware is best known in the indie comic scene.

Rob