When in doubt, kill a child! (BAD WRITING SERIES)

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

When in doubt, kill a child! (BAD WRITING SERIES)

Post by SandChigger »

This is an excerpt of Ch. 26 of Paul of Dune:
Hiih Resser stood with a dozen members of the Moritani royal court, packed shoulder to shoulder in the sickroom of the dying boy. Viscount Moritani spoke to them all in a voice like ripping paper. "The Suk doctor says my son will soon breathe his last. It is only a matter of days, or less. If only we had the drug to cure him." Moritani's broken whisper drove a knife of sorrow into Resser's heart. If only.

On his bed, reeking of melange and semuta smoke, accompanied by wailing atonal music, whether or not the melodic trance effects were necessary, Wolfram was beyond hearing his distraught father.

Some of the witnesses sobbed softly, but Resser had no way of judging if their tears were sincere.

Looking on, he was convinced that this clumsy demonstration of support was largely an effort to gain favor with the Grumman lord.

Preoccupied with his work, Dr. Terbali made adjustments to Wolfram's intravenous lines, while the wild-haired Viscount leaned over his son from the other side, kissed his sunken cheek, and spoke quietly.

The unfortunate boy did not respond, but stared vacantly, only occasionally twitching a muscle or blinking his red-veined eyes.

The sick boy slipped so quietly into death that even Moritani did not notice for several seconds, though he held the boy's limp hand. Then, in delayed reaction, he let out a bestial sound that was half wail, half roar.
Klingons of Dune! :lol:

Dissect or discuss as you will.

I'll start by pointing out the modifiers used for the boy; he's "dying", he's "unfortunate" and he's "sick". No sooner are we told in the first paragraph of this excerpt that he's "dying" than his father speaks ("in a voice like ripping paper"? just what the FUCK does that mean?) and tells those assembled that the boy will soon kick the bucket. Is "dying" really needed then, before this?

I don't know about the rest of you, but I almost want to giggle when I read this scene, it's so bad. (And it gets worse, as Moritani kills the doctor and tells him to heal himself. :roll: )

Ghastly!
merkin muffley

Re: When in doubt, kill a child! (BAD WRITING SERIES)

Post by merkin muffley »

Physician, heal thyself.

If only.

IF ONLY.

His voice was like folding cardboard.

IF. ONLY.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Sev

Post by Sev »

How the fuck do you pronounce Hiih?? *asked in a voice like walking on bubblewrap*

And the mention of the musical accompaniment in paragraph 2 is just... poorly phrased. He's beyond hearing his father's voice, so is played music to... :doh:
Freakzilla - "Apparently we can only aspire to be the 13th biggest Dune fan since we are not family or in the HLP."

Byron - "Are you trying to irk me?"
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

"C'mon, guys!" admonished Tlher the preeq. He continued, asserting,"He's doing the best he can."

Chapter 2
"Knowing a thing is like walking, do you wear socks inside your shoes?"
-Rossak edict

The Tlher the preeq had just asserted that the authors efforts were of the purest intentions.
In a voice like the rolling of the mighty sea outside castle Caladan, Tlher the preeq asked,
"What have you written?"

Chapter 3
"I empty my nose at you!"
-Monty Python

Having delivered what he thought to be the verbal equivilent of a tactical nuke from old mythic Earth,
Tlher the preeq wondered about what rewards his pleased master would bestow...
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
Aquila ka-Hecate

Post by Aquila ka-Hecate »

On his bed, reeking of melange and semuta smoke, accompanied by wailing atonal music, whether or not the melodic trance effects were necessary, Wolfram was beyond hearing his distraught father.
What a clumsy sentence.

She said, in a voice like flushing bogroll.
Unfront

Post by Unfront »

There. Right there! This is another lame brain scene, stolen right from Star Trek. Upon first reading, my reaction was in the likes of puh-lease, you’ve got to be kidding me. The author is trying to create a tearful moment of sadness over the death of a child. Yet the end result was one of humor and comedy. F

If only. If only? If only the publisher would cancel the rest of this series...oh wait! They DID! :lol:
In a voice like the tearing up of an advance check, the publisher announced the decision to pull the plug. The Hero’s series slipped so quietly into death that even Anderson did not notice for several days, though he held the dictahike in his limp hand. Then, in delayed reaction, he let out a sickening sound that was half wail, half wet fart.
Anything Dune not written by Frank Herbert is simply Fan Fiction.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

OK, I can see we're definitely going to have to hold a McDune parody antifan-fiction contest!

This could get ugly. :lol:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

I like ugly!

By parody, do you mean something indistinguishable from the "real thing" or something more along the lines of Trannies of Dune?
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Tleszer wrote:By parody, do you mean something indistinguishable from the "real thing" or something more along the lines of Trannies of Dune?
Well, I was thinking something more like Trannies, bitchy like the comments above.

Wouldn't the first be kinda sick? And likely to induce a psychosis of some sort? :?
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:Wouldn't the first be kinda sick? And likely to induce a psychosis of some sort? :?
Most definately.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

You mean we aren't all suffering from some sort of psychosis after reading McDune drivel? :happy-smileyinthebox:

:violence-axechase: :violence-stickwhack: :violence-axechase:
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

SandChigger wrote:
Tleszer wrote:By parody, do you mean something indistinguishable from the "real thing" or something more along the lines of Trannies of Dune?
Well, I was thinking something more like Trannies, bitchy like the comments above.

:greetings-clappingyellow:
That would be awesome. I'm loving these "Bad Writing" threads...
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Unfront

Post by Unfront »

I'm loving it too.
Another lame brain scene that I want to take a look as is the [original release] Return of the Jedi - Nub Nub dance scene at the end of House Corrino where the worms gather together to preform some sort of Dance when Paul Atreides was birthed on Kaitain.

(I thought the worms were teritorial - oh but wait, not in McDune, these worms get together for a square dance!!!!) - Failure to abide by the rules of the universe as spelled out by the master - F!!!
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

SandChigger wrote:OK, I can see we're definitely going to have to hold a McDune parody antifan-fiction contest!
My first reaction was, sounds like fun!
Second thought, oooo- what does it mean if you win?
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Whoever wins, we lose?
Shaitan

Post by Shaitan »

Tleszer wrote:Whoever wins, we lose?
I think I've come up with an entry for the KJA parody contest already.....in honor of his serial ripping off of and general parasitic relationship with other authors/screenwriters' creations:

Aliens Vs. Predators Vs. Kevin J. Anderson's McDune
"When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro." -Hunter S. Thompson
"Man, a guy gets drunk *once* and it's all anyone remembers..." -HBJ
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Unfront wrote:Another lame brain scene that I want to take a look as is the [original release] Return of the Jedi - Nub Nub dance scene at the end of House Corrino where the worms gather together to preform some sort of Dance when Paul Atreides was birthed on Kaitain.
Are you kidding? I have no recollection of almost all that series, and so I have no idea whether you're kidding or not.

Why would they write that? Why? Why would there be some weird mystical connection between Paul and the sandworms on Dune? It makes *no* *sense*.

HBJ,
in a voice that sounds like the wiping of feet on a welcome mat.
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Wait for it, HBJ. ;)
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

...but don't hold your breath.

(For it to make sense that is.)
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Unfront

Post by Unfront »

Hunchback Jack wrote:
Are you kidding? I have no recollection of almost all that series, and so I have no idea whether you're kidding or not.

Why would they write that? Why? Why would there be some weird mystical connection between Paul and the sandworms on Dune? It makes *no* *sense*.

HBJ,
in a voice that sounds like the wiping of feet on a welcome mat.
Oh it happened alright! Right there, black and white, crystal clear in plain English for all to see. Mr. Chigger (may I call you Sand? :) ) was gracious enough to post the section complete with commentary in the new and hilarious yet educational Bad Writing Series under Worms Can Dance if they Want To.

You know, if these guys would have stopped at House Atreides, they could have possibly retained some form of respectability - even though that book was brimming with lame shit in its own right. e.g. The useless fire gem incident on the boat. This is where KJA tried to establish some form of bond between Leto and Rhompa roomba [or whatever that guys name is]. In the overall context of the story, it was very forced and disjointed. It was almost written in as an afterthought. As if the publisher said, "you know Kevin, we need some more bonding between Leto and Rhombur, otherwise it may leave people wondering why Leto cared so much....just sayin'." The end result: a half assed attempt to show bonding between the two with no connection to anything else in the story all while serving to pad the word/page count. D-

These guys need to take a note from the old axiom: Always say less than is necessary. For the more you speak the more apt you are to say something stupid. [paraphrased] In this case, replace speak with write and we will have a good life lesson for them.

Unfront,
In a voice that sounds like the wiping of an ass.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:naughty:

Replace speak with dictahike (the accent is on DIC). ;)

(And "Chig" is fine. :D )