My prediction for the final low point of McDune

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Re: My prediction for the final low point of McDune

Post by SandChigger »

Mrs Freak: "Hey! What are you doing with the kids' socks?"

:shock:

(Unfront, I'll look for those scenes and post the fun bits if no one beats me to it. ;) )
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Unfront wrote:I have a sneaking suspicion that the HLP plans on releasing separate books in the future where all of Paul’s *childhood* is in one book, and all of the post jihad Paul is in another
Oh dear, I really hope you don't have something there.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:Mrs Freak: "Hey! What are you doing with the kids' socks?"

:shock:
Now that's just gross. I'd smoke her socks. :wink:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Unfront wrote: I am in the middle of reading Chapterhouse and I was not looking forward to breaking away and trolling through ill wind to find it...who knows what else I would have found along the way...that shit sticks to everything.

no, no, no ..... there is no reason to flip thru pages of McDune to find a quote;
I can provide you with links to downloadable .pdfs of all of Spanky's Masterpieces;
send me a PM if you (or anybody else) wants them ....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

The two scenes in question are in Part II of Paul of Dune, the first "Young Paul" section (page numbers for US hardcover; with the PDFs just search for "On his bed, reeking" and "On the day of the wedding, Castle Caladan"):
SC on HToD wrote:Ch. 26 (p.141) On Grumman, Moritani’s ailing son Wolfram dies, deprived by Ecazi embargo of the drug he needed, esoit-poay. Moritani kills doctor and Ecazi smugglers.

Ch. 30 (p.156) Leto-Ilesa wedding massacre! Blenderiscious! Love them flying sawblades! Ecaz loses an arm, Dinari becomes hamburger, Ilesa gets her throat ripped out. (At 6.5 pp of real text, this is one of the longer “chapters” in the book. They do love their gore, huh?) Rhombur SMASH!
(PoD "chap-by-chap")

Hey... when did Kill Bill come out, with the wedding massacre scene? :think:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:Hey... when did Kill Bill come out, with the wedding massacre scene? :think:
That was the second movie, right? That was 2004.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Unfront

Post by Unfront »

ON the Sandworms tour (in 2007, they were hyping up Paul of Dune), so Keith must have just received his copy of Kill Bill from Netflix or something.

Hey Keith, DUNE needs to be groundbreaking in its imaginative content. To paraphrase other sci fi to pad the content of your stories is just plain plagiarism! F
Anything Dune not written by Frank Herbert is simply Fan Fiction.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Unfront wrote:To paraphrase other sci fi to pad the content of your stories is just plain plagiarism! F
I really like the grades you're assigning at the end of your comments. :lol:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:
Unfront wrote:To paraphrase other sci fi to pad the content of your stories is just plain plagiarism! F
Yeah, but you don't get an F for plagiarism, you get expelled. Right?
~Pink Snowman
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Freakzilla wrote:
SandChigger wrote:
I was ... :oops:
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Serkanner wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
SandChigger wrote:
The way things are in the U.S. now, kids barely get reprimanded for it anymore. I tried to fail a college student once for plagiarizing a paper and was met with a great deal of administrative pressure. They just want to make money.

Luckily, the bastard failed all on his own anyway.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Nekhrun wrote:
Serkanner wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
SandChigger wrote:
The way things are in the U.S. now, kids barely get reprimanded for it anymore. I tried to fail a college student once for plagiarizing a paper and was met with a great deal of administrative pressure. They just want to make money.

Luckily, the bastard failed all on his own anyway.
Fortunately for me I was allowed back after two weeks and did manage to finish high school. After that incident I never cheated on any paper or exam any more.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

It's ridiculously easy to tell when my students have pinched something. Even the best masters student I've ever had for composition still had the occasional problem with articles, verb aspect, or register (using more formal, academic language in their thesis, etc).

Unless the entirety of a composition has been plagiarized, I generally take the approach, "Oh, I think you forgot to put this part in quotes and tell me who said or wrote it." That plus a reminder about how bad plagiarism is ("It's stealing and lying!") is usually enough to get them to stop.

Usually. A few years back we had this student who was auditing a few classes in preparation for taking the graduate school entrance exam and they (Don't you just love gender-neutral singular they?! :lol: ) wanted to sit in on my grad comp class. Their first composition was hideous, the English worse even than that of my least capable undergrads; by the time we were finished going over it, the paper was nothing but red ink. The next week what they gave me was shorter in length, but the English was almost perfect. The week after that, it was perfect. So I did a spiel on The Evils of Plagiarism, somewhat to the confusion of the other students, and made sure everyone got the point. The next week, the student in question again gave me another completely lifted text, so I switched to Plan B: Public Humiliation. I went through the text and emphasized how well-written various parts were, and ended by asking the student, "Did you really write this?" When they lied and said yes, and wouldn't back down, I said, "Well, that's great! The last things you've given me have been in perfect, native-level English, and really well-written, so I don't think there's any need for you to come back next week. You should probably spend your time auditing another class or studying for the exam some other way!" The next week, they gave me something they'd really written, and we started working on their language problems. :)

(The student ultimately wasn't accepted into our department, but they did succeed in entering another, related one. Fortunately, they never came back to take any of my classes for credit. The department that accepted them is one that I particularly dislike, so things worked out great for everyone. :D )
Unfront

Post by Unfront »

It is unfortunate that we cannot expel Brian and Kevin for their creative plagiarism; however, we can take some form of solace that the publishers did in fact pull the plug (I just love saying that) on the rest of the series.

As an aside: Literally speaking, whenever I am in the need to pull the plug on something, I enjoy taking a full grasp of the power cord so that I may rip the plug right out of its socket with heavy torque. I get a bit of a rush out of it. I only hope the publishers felt the same way when the pulled the plug on Throne and Leto.

Hmmm, now that I'm talking about it, has Byron deMerit made any attempt to claim that this was a scheduled cancellation yet? (I only ask because they tried to say that the change to winds of Dune was, "a scheduled name change from Jessica to Jessica to the Winds of Dune."
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

SandChigger wrote:It's ridiculously easy to tell when my students have pinched something. Even the best masters student I've ever had for composition still had the occasional problem with articles, verb aspect, or register (using more formal, academic language in their thesis, etc).

Unless the entirety of a composition has been plagiarized, I generally take the approach, "Oh, I think you forgot to put this part in quotes and tell me who said or wrote it." That plus a reminder about how bad plagiarism is ("It's stealing and lying!") is usually enough to get them to stop.
Instead of writing comments I just like to put the links to where they stole the text.

We should do that with kja writing. Every time he pulls his normal derivative shit we should just post the quote and immediately tag it with whatever shit movie it came from.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Shaitan

Post by Shaitan »

Interesting that there's such a significant "professorial" element here. Makes me even more paranoid about my writing style (despite this being merely "casual forum posting"), which I suppose is a good thing. ;-)

Since my wife went back to school a year and a half ago, I've been thinking a lot about whether a degree might be in my future; after high school I went straight to running my own business, years before I got sick and became disabled. Never went to college. At the time I thought I was pretty damn smart, until I got sick and couldn't keep up with the demands of running a business (or virtually any other jobs for that matter). Now, even though going to school on a fixed schedule is something I'm not likely to be able to pull off any time soon....the idea of getting at least some further education has been on my mind a lot. Particularly when it comes to writing/composition and some aspects of science that I've self-educated myself about for decades but haven't challenged myself to excel at in a formalized environment.

Maybe it's just daydreaming. But if I were to be able to produce a creative project like my planned sci-fi series within the severe limits of my disabilities, then perhaps I'll be able to pull off at least some amount of college-level schooling as well. Being able to back up my storylines with "I got a 4.0 in several advanced quantum physics/cosmology/biology/chemistry/med-sci classes" rather than just "I spend a shitload of time on Wikipedia/Slashdot/et al and reading scientific papers, take my word for it, I'm a smartypants!" would be nice.....
"When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro." -Hunter S. Thompson
"Man, a guy gets drunk *once* and it's all anyone remembers..." -HBJ
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I'm on the 20-year degree plan myself, I'll take a class or two or three a year, and maybe they'll eventually add up to a degree!
Unfront

Post by Unfront »

Shaitan: It is never too late to further one's education. I joined the Army after highschool and thougt I'd had enough schooling. I thought I was just too smart already. Boy was I wrong. After the army I decided to put my GI Bill to use obtained a degree. Though I am not employed in my degree field, I do benefit from the experience greatly.

Speaking of benefiting from the experieince...I think Brian and Keith need to attend a community college creative writing course. It might improve the immanginative content of their writing.

Best of luck to you.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Unfront wrote:Speaking of benefiting from the experieince...I think Brian and Keith need to attend a community college creative writing course. It might improve the immanginative content of their writing.
I'm tickled by the idea of someone suggesting to Keith that he attend a community college course on creative writing. This is the guy who was a panelist on the self-styled "superstars" writing seminar. I doubt there are many people on Earth who would be less willing to believe anyone else could teach them something about writing.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Remedial Creative Writing 99

Audit
~Pink Snowman
Unfront

Post by Unfront »

Ok, here is another prediction for the Great Schools series and it realates to time travel to boot.

Somewhere in there, a guild navigator, or a student at the Spacing Guild School will be practicing his/hers/its preciant abilities, when said navigator envisions a future ruler being transported on a guild highliner to join the circus with his friend.

I am taking out a second mortgage on my house and placing bets on that one.
Last edited by Unfront on 08 Nov 2010 22:36, edited 1 time in total.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

What would we call that... backshadowing?

Ass-backwards foreshadowing? :lol:

I'll pop it on the summary page in a bit; shukran!
Unfront

Post by Unfront »

Afwan!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:lol:

"Houston, we have liftoff."
lotek

Post by lotek »

SandChigger wrote:Ass-backwards foreshadowing? :lol:
is that the politically correct way to say "fart" ?
Spice is the worm's gonads.