Poll on Guilt Casting in the next book

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

How much Guilt Casting will appear in Sisterhood of Dune?

None! Keith and Brian actually heard the gripes!
27%
It will be mentioned at least once I'm sure.
27%
There will be at least one chapter on it.
9%
There will be a whole plot line weaved into the fabric of the story.
No votes
Are you kidding, the whole book is going to be about Guilt Casting.
36%

Total votes: 11

Unfront

Poll on Guilt Casting in the next book

Post by Unfront »

Ok, since the clock is slowly counting down to the next installment of nuDune, it is time that we brace ourselves and prepare for what is to come - more stories about Guilt Casting from the dynamic literary powerhause that is: Keith and Brian. I have decided to throw together this quick pole in order to gage, from the audience's prospective, how much Guilt Casting is going to appear in the next book. Please vote and share your thoughts.
Last edited by Unfront on 19 Oct 2010 17:17, edited 1 time in total.
Anything Dune not written by Frank Herbert is simply Fan Fiction.
Hunchback Jack

Re: Poll on Guit Casting in the next book

Post by Hunchback Jack »

I vote none, because it's been so long since they wrote Winds, they'll have forgotten all about it. Let's face it, they probably forgot all about it two days after they used it as a plot device.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I voted none, for the same reason as HBJ rather than the reason in the poll. KJABH don't change things because they're wrong - if they heard the complaints that just means they're more likely to put it into the new book so that they can explain just how awesome it really is and ram it down the throats of the so-called talifan.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

I'm not so sure that they've forgotten about it...

The hacks love seeding future plotlines in previous books - eg: in the Hunters it is mentioned that Fenring stabbed Paul, then one-book-later in Paul of Dune... Paul gets stabbed by Fenring!
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Re: Poll on Guilt Casting in the next book

Post by SandChigger »

Well, since TwisterShood will be UNGODLY THOUSAND GAZILLIONS of years before Winds, if guilt-casting appears at all, it will be completely separate from the later BG technique and will be completely forgotten by the end of the Great Stools series. (Never mind that that forgetting shit shit won't play with the "Memories 'R' Us" BG girls, if KJA writes it, THEY [the McDuners] will believe!)

:laughing-rolling:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I like Twisterhood .... fits what they're doing .... and from Keith's twits, this thing's in the bag ....
so still a 2012 release date or whenever ? if they're waiting for a movie tie-in, Keith could churn out
another ten or twelve episodes before then ....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

SandChigger wrote:TwisterShood
A reference to psychic tornadoes, perhaps?

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Kojiro

Post by Kojiro »

I had to actually Google "Guilt Casting" to know what it was. Knowing them and their love of detail, they've probably completely forgotten its existence. Hopefully that means Attack of the Gholas as well.
Has not religion claimed a patent on creation for all of these millennia?
-The Tleilaxu Question,
from Muad'dib Speaks
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Again, I think we're mixing periods here a bit. "Attack of the Glonolas" was to be a ThunderThrone/inter-Messiah/Children arc. ;)

Of course, that doesn't mean they can't also "No, this is Richesean, a DIFFERENT kind of no-tech" a clone army, like I pointed out for guilt-casting above. :roll: (sigh)
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Maybe someone from Lucasfilm read Winds and sicc'd the lawyers on the HLP. That could explain the 'delay' in the rest of that pos series and the switch to the Great Schools.

I mean does anyone here buy Kevin J "Writing by Numbers"Anderson switching focus in the middle of a series? He writes what, 3 or 4 books at a time and we are supposed to believe that he just got tired of writing in one part of the Duneiverse?

BS
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Aquila ka-Hecate

Post by Aquila ka-Hecate »

What the Fuck?

Like Kojiro, I had to Google this term.

It sounds like something out of very early D&D fer Gods' sake.

I wish I hadn't Googled the bloody term now - got taken to a preeq page which mentions the Duchess Jessica Atreides, among other incomprehensibles.

I'm going to have to sit in the corner and recover, now.
Shaitan

Post by Shaitan »

Unfront wrote:I have decided to throw together this quick pole in order to gage, from the audience's prospective, how much Guilt Casting is going to appear in the next book.
Emphasis mine.

The word you're looking for is "poll." However, I can understand your confusion as "quick pole" often comes to mind when discussing Brian and Kevin. :puke:
"When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro." -Hunter S. Thompson
"Man, a guy gets drunk *once* and it's all anyone remembers..." -HBJ
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Well... if we're going to be THAT picky... :P
Unfront wrote:I have decided to throw together this quick pole in order to gage, from the audience's prospective, how much Guilt Casting is going to appear in the next book.
Overemphasis mine.

Even though "gage" is listed as an acceptable variant spelling of "gauge", I'd like to think that you were somehow affected subconsciously while typing by the word "gag", since that also comes to mind when discussing McDune! :lol:

Edit:

And you know, now that I think about it, that should also be "perspective" there, shouldn't it? ;)

Unfront! I think I'm in love with you. In some sort of inappropriate, largely sick teacher-student relationshipy kind of way... if you know what I mean... :P
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

sloey ?
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
Unfront

Post by Unfront »

Yeah, I know my spelling can be a bit wonky at times. :oops: Most of the time, I have to whip out my posts quickly while I have the time. I do not get to sit down and proof read my posts. Thank you for pointing out "quick pole" - it must have been from my subconscious, because the the story and the fans have been violated for over a decade now.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Don't worry about it. (But don't let it get much worse, either! :P ) There are some people here (and yes, I will name names if those monthy payoff checks get any later than they already are! :twisted: ) who are actually much worse.

And remember: if we disliked you we'd be really vicious. :lol:
Unfront

Post by Unfront »

Ok, I will try to keep it together as I do believe that we need to set an example to the preq's what real writing actually looks like. (See what reading these freakquels does to the intelligence of the average reader?)

Anyway, regarding guilt casting: I thought the idea of emotion control was cool when Asimov dealt with it in Foundation; however, when this guilt casting thing came up in From Jessica to a Bad Wind of Nudune, I almost fell out of my chair. This was an obvious rip-off from the Mule (character in the Foundation series).

I do believe Frank Herbert took some inspiration from Foundation as the series came out years before the original Dune, (Reverend Fathers are mentioned, the idea of a Galactic empire - complete with an emperor etc.); however, I do not see the original Dune as a rip-off of Foundation. I do see neu-dune as a rip off of many MANY science fiction constructs, many of which are not even found in the original - guilt casting is chief among them.

One more thning....do not fret sports fans, there will be a scheduled :roll: name change from Sisterhood to Sisterhood to the Guilt Casters of Dune! :puke:
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

the "sloey? {is that you?} remark was spurred with the three misuses in one sentence,
altho sloey's syntax errors tended to be more letter omissions or inversions ...

also:
there is a poll option missing - None, because Keith never re-reads anything he's written, certainly not anything he's
published, and there have been atleast >9000 new awesome! ideas since Guilt Casting; he's forgotten about it,
Brian Pherbert never understood it in the first place; Becky just runs the text files thru a few different spelcheks,
(one of them is actually called "Red Pen", so Keith is being honest when twitting "Manuscript being edited by Rebecca's
red pen) and no-one at Hor/Gorge ever reads his bullshit, anyway ...

Twisterhood will be all about UltraVoice .... and history of the development of "Voice", using a device that will not
be a wierding module in any way, except that it's an exact duplication of a wierding module ....when the first Reverend
Mother produces the effects of Voice without the device, an acolyte standing in the back of the crowd will murmur:
"Sister Xltuza no longer requires the {tehKJA twitter-poll word} device !"
ImageImage

Unfront

Post by Unfront »

Nope, not slowey.... (at least I hope I'm not that 'slow')

You raise an interesting argument right there, as in that he is so full of nu and wonderful ideas that the next book will be flush with even more lame ideas. This does fit into his mo, each nu book is worse than the last one.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Actually, the Voice was a secondary development, the original form of which was modulated Queef. But we know neither KJA or BoBo will touch that! :P
A Thing of Eternity

You know what's weird? The last book I read had a super-minor character named Sloey (A Feast for Crows).
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

orald would have known that. I haven't read the books (have them, though).
A Thing of Eternity

Hope he's alive and just sick of us.
Superdog

Post by Superdog »

Any explanation from the founding of the Sisterhood would have to work in why no one has used it in the intervening years only to re-discover and then abandon the technique again. A difficult thing for Reverend Mothers to pull off. At this point, pretending it never happened is probably a better way to go because any explanation will be horrible.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Actually, that's another, really good point against its introduction in Winds, where it's presented as something developed relatively (or relativistically? snicker) recently, that Jessica had only heard rumors of: Why did it take the BG more than ten thousand years to come up with it?

And the "BG never forget!" point is the killer objection to the "bimbombs" of the Legends books. ;)