The Cancellation of Dune

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Unfront

The Cancellation of Dune

Post by Unfront »

Here is a question regarding the cancellation of the Zeros of Dune series.

We all know that the official explanation was that Keith and Brian were too *eager* to begin the Schools series - but I don't buy that. Was someone at the publishing company actually listening to the readers and taking note that several of the prequlites were withdrawing support of the newer material in droves? (See amazon reviews)

If so, I wonder how that phone call went down. Was it the publisher calling Keith directly or did they call Brian and say, "Brian, I'm sorry to say, but we are excersizing our right to cancel clause in our contract...."

I wish I could have had a wire tap on the phone call between Keith and Brian when that news broke.

Now that Zeros is canceled, why are we seeing new five star shill reviews supporting the tripe?

Here is a timeline:
Zero's buks released: :whistle:
Readers respond: :mad: :crazy: :puke: :puke: :crazy: :hand: :mad: :roll: :evil:
Publishers tell the dynamic duo to stop: :Adolf:
Brian and Keith: :cat fight: :tissue2:
Brian and Keith come up with lame excuses: :think:
Brian and Keith tell the world that they want to move direclty to Schools buks :liar: :liar:
Reders respond to the cancellation of the Zeros series: :dance: :clap: :dance: :clap: :D :D
Anything Dune not written by Frank Herbert is simply Fan Fiction.
lotek

Re: The Cancellation of Dune

Post by lotek »

yup we've gone over this a few times and that seems to be the general consensus.
I for one have more personal theories involving lizard aliens spraying chemtrails over the Colorado 14ers in an attempt to stop Keith from writing the Dune cookbook that will reveal that Brian is in fact the result of a genetic experiment to weaken the human race and prepare it for invasion by space monkeys with banana casting powers...

Or something like that.
Spice is the worm's gonads.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

It probably wasn't a phone call, at least initially: Kevin and Rebecca were in New York a few weeks before they started leaking the idea, hobnobbing with their agent and the people at TOR.

Of course, Brian "Oh my GAWUD moving electrons! SAVE ME!" Herbert is never on hand for one of these seemingly annual pilgrimages to the Big Apple, but since we haven't heard anything about The Great Technophobe ("He has philosophical reservations about the Internet, thinks it isn't all it's cracked up to be") being afraid of telephones, he might have been included on some sort of conference call. Who knows. (But really, since it's obviously KJA calling the shots & shits, Brian really need only be copied on the announcements.)

I imagine that the only "reader response" that the publishers are really interested in is the number of books moving out of the stores.

ROT/Gorge: They bring you their very best! :roll:

"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Unfront

Post by Unfront »

SandChigger wrote:
I imagine that the only "reader response" that the publishers are really interested in is the number of books moving out of the stores.

ROT/Gorge: They bring you their very best! :roll:

True! The bottom line is the bottom line. But I do think that the readers response has something to do with it as the reviews tell all (ignoring the shill reviews). If there were actual reviews that gave these books higher ratings, then I think sales would improve.

So the boys are off now trying to get their "mojo" back (as if they ever had any), but it is too late. The damage is done. The only reason anyone reads their material is for sheer comedy. (Not the laughing with them mind you, but laughing at them).
Last edited by Unfront on 28 Aug 2010 04:44, edited 1 time in total.
Anything Dune not written by Frank Herbert is simply Fan Fiction.
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Unfront wrote: So the boys are off now trying to get their "mojo" back (as if they ever had any), but it is too late. The damage is done. The only reason anyone reads their material is for sheer comedy. (Not the laughing with them mind you, but laughing at them).
BH wrote: Frank Herbert often said that the only valid literary critic is time, which will determine what is a classic and what is not.
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

say, my chigga, I'm assuming I can appropriate the ROT/Gorge logo for the cover of the new
Spanky McDune super-awesome novel Torus McCardigan of the Imperial Argosy: Treachery at Ultrapolis ?
(there's been a title change - asshats @ ROT/Gorge rejected the entire "Shore Leave at Ultrapolis" manuscript...)

I knew you had a mocking derogatory satire of TOR/Forge, but I couldn't remember it ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

BE my guest. :D

(That logo is about the only thing I've been able to come up with that has made Mr Teg even a little hesitant. Usually it's the other way around! :P )
trang

Post by trang »

sorry for being out of the loop, havent been on boards for a while. Is this saying the contract for more mcdune is over? or just a specific part of the contract is kanked?
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

what Keith had been calling the "Heroes of Dune" "trilogy" is now just two "standalones",
Paul of Dune & Jessica of the Winds of to The Dunes ....

him and the fuzzy-head weak one are "working" on the first of the "Great School" "series",
Sistahood of Dune ... the origin of the Bene Gesserit turns out to be a renegade
girl scout troop led by little green reptile-like Jedi Master .....

Cookies you will sell. Or pain you will feel. Hand in Box put. Hehehehe ....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
trang

Post by trang »

ah so they canceled leto/throne and what ever the 4th book in the "heroe's" was going to finish out with.

If there gonna fuck with the great schools of Duniverse, I want them to do Chefs of Dune!! at least they couldn't really damage anything.

The Bene Gesserit, Mentat's, Suk Doctors, Ginaz, and what ever else they might think of will be utter nonsense and add nothing except more head trauma to the readers.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

trang wrote:...

If there gonna fuck with the great schools of Duniverse, I want them to do Chefs of Dune!! at least they couldn't really damage anything.

Oh yes they could; remember Placido Salat?
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Fillet of Sandworm served in Eau de Vie, with Sietch-made Crysknife silverwear. Dessert is an old Earth delicacy, Oreo Cheesecake.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Ampoliros wrote:Fillet of Sandworm served in Eau de Vie, with Sietch-made Crysknife silverwear. Dessert is an old Earth delicacy, Oreo Cheesecake.
Not a cheesecake, but:

... :think:

:drool:
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
grandmastercrafter

Post by grandmastercrafter »

SadisticCynic wrote:
Ampoliros wrote:Fillet of Sandworm served in Eau de Vie, with Sietch-made Crysknife silverwear. Dessert is an old Earth delicacy, Oreo Cheesecake.
Not a cheesecake, but:

... :think:

:drool:
mmmmm - pizza! :chores-utensils:

10 inches? Oreo Pizza? hmmmm. I'll refrain... :shock:
THINK CRITICALLY
:auto-gmcredsmiley:
grandmastercrafter

Post by grandmastercrafter »

trang wrote:If there gonna fuck with the great schools of Duniverse, I want them to do Chefs of Dune!! at least they couldn't really damage anything.
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.

Degrees of Dune: a story of advanced academic certification from respected educational institutions throughout the Empire. :techie-idea: :teasing-signhere:
THINK CRITICALLY
:auto-gmcredsmiley:
Lolronica

Post by Lolronica »

Was looking at old interviews for the parody contest (and didn't find the quote I wanted), but the old interview here (http://www.januarymagazine.com/profiles ... ofile.html) has a lot of interesting points, probably been brought up on Jacurutu before, but Keith stating that
Dune 7 should be the grand finale and you don't do the grand finale and then add a few more books.
is very pertinent.

He then restates it
And also it seems kind of fitting that Dune 7 should be the grand finale. And you don't do the grand finale and then add a few more books.
Oh, I see, that is unless you are fronting for an unethical rights-holding group and getting nice kickbacks for hackery.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Lolronica wrote:Was looking at old interviews for the parody contest (and didn't find the quote I wanted), but the old interview here (http://www.januarymagazine.com/profiles ... ofile.html) has a lot of interesting points, probably been brought up on Jacurutu before, but Keith stating that
Dune 7 should be the grand finale and you don't do the grand finale and then add a few more books.
is very pertinent.

He then restates it
And also it seems kind of fitting that Dune 7 should be the grand finale. And you don't do the grand finale and then add a few more books.
Oh, I see, that is unless you are fronting for an unethical rights-holding group and getting nice kickbacks for hackery.
Or just that they won't write about what happens after. They still feel free to write about any time before though.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I think the common (and certainly their) interpretation of that now is that they do not intend to add any new books AFTER the "completion" of the series in the "Dune 7" books.

As far as they're concerned, they're not making themselves liars then by adding an interquel tetralogy and post-preprequel trilogy. ;)
Kojiro

Post by Kojiro »

But more than likely (and more evidently), it was just a bold faced lie.
Has not religion claimed a patent on creation for all of these millennia?
-The Tleilaxu Question,
from Muad'dib Speaks
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

I'd have to find it, but I recall one intervew where they pretty much said they would stop writing books after Dune 7. Mind you, at the time they were still planning to do a "Paul Trilogy" before writing the Dune 7 books, so apart from the Schools series, the end result would have been the same.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Lolronica

Post by Lolronica »

Hunchback Jack wrote:I'd have to find it, but I recall one intervew where they pretty much said they would stop writing books after Dune 7. Mind you, at the time they were still planning to do a "Paul Trilogy" before writing the Dune 7 books, so apart from the Schools series, the end result would have been the same.

HBJ
I think that is exactly what KJA at least says at the link at the top of this page.