You cast outs are stronger than me.....

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

codecrackx15

You cast outs are stronger than me.....

Post by codecrackx15 »

I've been following the various Dune sites for a long time. Seems like they vanish and I have to find another one and the cool thing is people like Sandchigger are still around so at least that is a constant. On the other sites I went by my name (Jason) so I've probably seen a lot of you online around through the years.
I must say a lot of you have a stronger stomach than I do or just able to take the punishment better than me. I gave up on Hunters of Dune. I was disappointed by the way the house series mad so many mistakes and the writing was so bland and just plain boring. House Corrino put me to sleep more times than I care to remember and it was through sheer determination and will power that i was able to finish it.
I thought, well... maybe since the legends series takes place long before Dune then they could do something interesting with that. When I read in the very first book about the brains in canisters I began my cringe and shoulder shaking. The vast universe had shrunk considerably and the Guild wasn't really needed even... I mean... so much for controlling the spice and controlling the universe... commerce was still quite good.
Every chapter was 3 or 4 pages. Dialog was virtually non-existent. KJA reiterated the same things every 4 paragraphs as if my memory could only retain information for 20 second periods of time which I found quite insulting and ultimately the reason I let the dune universe die. I went back to Frank's prose just to reread some of the pages in Dune and it was page after page of brilliant dialog as opposed to 2 or three sentences of dialog in a 4 page chapter of events being told to me.
I was so sick of the machines. Erasmus and Omnious and the boring conversations between them that amounted to the same things being said for three freaking books. The Cymeks are something my brain is still trying to wipe after all these years because they were just so dumb to use. I can't even come up with something colorful, they were just DUMB. All the characters that were created as if they meant something or had some purpose only to be killed off and end that sub plot was also wearing me down. the book was filler through and through...
The Battle of Corrin was just another exercise in tedium that made me struggle until the end... in the regard it was a battle to finish the damn thing.
Then we get to KJA who I believe actually writes the books while BH tries to go back and then adds tid bits which is the real reason we have paragraphs that remind us of previously written paragraphs on the same page. The fools are reminding each other of what they just wrote. They don't realize this but we do because we actually have to read the crap. Anyway... just lost my train of thought... oh... then we get to KJA and BH telling us they will complete Dune 7 with 2 books. I buy the paperbacks so i have plenty of time to read the crap they write from the reviews and when I read that they made Marty and Daniel into Erasmus and Omnious (KJA creations) I think that was about the time i heard on the news that the coffin that contained Frank Herbert had blown up and the cause was some sort of centrifugal force... I think that was on the news actually.
So I bought the damn hunters of Dune when it was released in paperback. I read about 35 pages and right around that 30 - 35 mark there was a paragraph that reminded me of what was said in the paragraph right directly above it. I took that as the final insult and stopped reading, closed the book, and never picked it up again. The Dune series consists of the 6 books by Frank Herbert and the Dune Encyclopedia for me. Nothing more and nothing less. I detest the childish writing and the lack of any talent in these two hacks who I now wish had never carried on Frank's in depth and creative world.
I've read chapters from inside of other KJA books and it saddens me that he is published while other writers who are creative can not get their words out to the readers that would be more than receptive.
I hope another Dune movie is never made for the simple fact that KJA and BH are now attached as executive producers. The stupid movie will probably start out with Paul's birth on Kaitan. uuuurrrggghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have read all these wonderful comments and reviews on the new books and it just makes me relieved to have not had to read any more of them. Getting the gist is well enough and saves me time, money, and stomach pain.
Superdog

Re: You cast outs are stronger than me.....

Post by Superdog »

I actually read them all in good faith too. Trust me you're not missing much, the end of the Dune 7 series is really quite horrible.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I only made it through Hunters, also. I couldn't stomach anymore.

:puke:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

It took Paul of Dune to break my Kevin & Brian induced stupor. Reading the scene where Gurney was having discipline problems with the fremen felt, to me, like a ghola reawakening his original memories.
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

codecrackx15 wrote:. I was disappointed by the way the house series mad so many mistakes and the writing was so bland and just plain boring. House Corrino put me to sleep more times than I care to remember and it was through sheer determination and will power that i was able to finish it.
You finished it? I couldn't - It was the constant pointless repetition of basic plot points.

(Although I did choose to read Paul of Dune when it came out - for shits and giggles... it's all shit and no giggles :roll: )

And Welcome :)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Kojiro

Post by Kojiro »

To be honest, I've never actually read the McDune books because I'm not a masochist. Seriously, when I first saw the House books 11 o 12 years ago, my already patently cynical mind sneered at the concept. "Cashing on your father's legacy, eh?" I thought. I frankly didn't notice KJA's name attached to it, although back then I didn't even know who the hell KJA was. I was into J.R.R. Tolkien, Arthur C. Clarke, Frank Herbert, Margaret Weis, Anne Rice and Kim Stanley Robinson back in those days. Still am, btw, but I've added numerous other authors to that list. Anyway, when the Butlerian Jihad came out was when I largely learned about KJA and I found it odd that they turned it into Terminator; my impression had always been that humanity had simply become too reliant on machines. And once again I figured they were still cashing in on a dead man's legacy.

It was when Dune 7 came out and reviews revealed that Marty and Daniel were robots when I was like... WHAT THE FUCK??
Has not religion claimed a patent on creation for all of these millennia?
-The Tleilaxu Question,
from Muad'dib Speaks
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Hello!

I bought Butlerian Jihad in hardback, and the friend that was with me at Barnes and Nobles said, "That looks fuggin' unreadable." And he was right. I couldn't get past the first couple chapters, and they had turned Dune into bad Star Wars. The other new Dune book I tried to read was Paul of Dune, and that was so bad it was offensive. I've, since, tried to read other KJA/BH Dune books so that I can insult them better, but it's just too stupid and boring to get through more than a chapter. And their chapters are about three pages long...

Nice to meet you.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Achlan wasachlan fi Jaqurutu! :)

(Odd that you see me as a constant fixture, since I've only been at this three or four years now. ;) )
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I saw you over on alt.dune.fan getting your butt made itchy by The Mountain Prophecies ....

Linda's a trip, have you seen her website ?
she got on the AM radio show that Art Bell turned over to that Yanni-looking guy a few years ago;
I guess it swelled her head up ... she's been crazy since the mid 70s ... kept calling the county sheriff
saying the UFOs were landing in a rice field near Conway, Arkansas ... they arrested her and she was
in the state hospital for quite awhile ... she started the "church" when she got out and quit harassing
the authorities ... learned her lesson, that girl did ...

anyway, I'da said she was jail right now, having been caught up in the Tony Alamo raid ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
codecrackx15

Post by codecrackx15 »

Sandchigger and Freakzilla are the names that most standout from the other various websites that have come and gone so it was nice to see those names here again. Love the OH, the Orthodox part is great!!!
I was watching kja and BH on youtube discussing Paul of Dune and when kja spoke up after BH talking about how at the end of Dune Paul was optimistic and got the princess and this and that... that old nauseous feeling returned to my stomach. He just never got it, will never get it, and ... it's just sick.
Honestly I feel sorry for BH because when he dies... Frank is going to kick his ass. And kja is quite literally the worst author I have ever read.
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

codecrackx15 wrote:when kja spoke up after BH talking about how at the end of Dune Paul was optimistic and got the princess
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Hellooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Were you God Emperor Jason?

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
lotek

Post by lotek »

merkin muffley wrote:
codecrackx15 wrote:when kja spoke up after BH talking about how at the end of Dune Paul was optimistic and got the princess
and they lived happily ever after?

:puke: too...

EDIT

and welcome to our sietch!!
Spice is the worm's gonads.