The Worst Additions You Can Think Of For DUNE

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Jodorowsky's Acolyte

The Worst Additions You Can Think Of For DUNE

Post by Jodorowsky's Acolyte »

Drink your Sapho juice and eat you Spice crackers, Brothers, for it will prepare you for the most painful of suggestions I have for a discussion...

Tell me, Jacurutu, what are the worst suggestions, additions, or meddlings any of you can make for DUNE universe, in light of the meddlings and additions you abhor in the prequels or sequels?

Because I've taken an interest in the additions and manipulations outside authors and screenwriters have made to DUNE's overall story, I'm curious about which ideas would directly or indirectly sabotage the legacy which was established by Frank Herbert.

Dictate to me your worst meddlings with DUNE, and may your knife chip and shatter.
'...all those who took part in the rise and fall of the Dune project learned how to fall one and one thousand times with savage obstinacy until learning how to stand. I remember my old father who, while dying happy, said to me: "My son, in my life, I triumphed because I learned how to fail."' -Alejandro Jodorowsky
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Re: The Worst Additions You Can Think Of For DUNE

Post by SandChigger »

You're actually KJA, aren't you, looking for ideas for the next books, things that will piss us off the most, right? :lol:

Will get back to you on this one! ;) :D
Jodorowsky's Acolyte

Post by Jodorowsky's Acolyte »

No, I'm not KJA. I'm too young to be KJA. I didn't read his books till Elementary School, which was 1998, and my first books written by him were the Jedi Academy Trilogy.

Actually, the reason I asked was because I was thinking of writing a satire on other authors and screenwriters who meddled with the DUNE universe to suit their own interpretations or literary tastes. What I should have asked is: what ridiculous scenarios could you think of for DUNE that would represent best your displeasure with how the DUNE universe was handled, and effectively satirize those who handled it?

Still, I'm glad I gave you a good laugh.

I did, hower, during Elementary School conceive my own sequels for Star Wars: Dark Forces that would have passed as KJA, but they were probably a little more inspired if rather silly in plot circumstances.
'...all those who took part in the rise and fall of the Dune project learned how to fall one and one thousand times with savage obstinacy until learning how to stand. I remember my old father who, while dying happy, said to me: "My son, in my life, I triumphed because I learned how to fail."' -Alejandro Jodorowsky
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

The worst addition to Dune I can think of is Bobo & Keith.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

There are lots of good ones in the "Predictions" for the new books threads, expanded upon on HToD
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Kojiro

Post by Kojiro »

Nekhrun wrote:The worst addition to Dune I can think of is Bobo & Keith.
:cookie sm:

For you.
Has not religion claimed a patent on creation for all of these millennia?
-The Tleilaxu Question,
from Muad'dib Speaks
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Worst addition would be telekinesis. You KNOW Kevin is just ITCHING to give the BG real tele-powers and make them into the Jedi he sees them as in his mind.

...wait, they already did that in the Legends series. Fuckers.
twistedmentat

Post by twistedmentat »

Ultra spice and water worms were the most ridiculious hacks additions (amongst many) to the Dune universe, imo ( like 2 giant peanut infused terds sitting atop a shit sandwich). I still cant fathom how 2 self proclaimed Dune fans could be sitting in some sort of make shift brain storming session and come up with ultra spice and water worms.

But as we are so fond of mentioning the hacks love to go over the top w/ their additions to Dune, so i wouldn't be surprised if we saw maybe some sort of flying (air) worms????????.... or super duper ultra spice or something equally ridiculious.
aethereon

Post by aethereon »

You know, flying worms would be off the chain.

Think about the possibilities - the next step would be worms in space (wait, Lucas did that - sorry).

You'd have to create a new infrastructure from the sand up, don't let me get ahead of myself here:

You could create a capsule that would protect people from being digested by the worm, and create a dune subway. When you've reached your spot, you pull the string or hit the button and waterguns start dousing the innards of the worm until it pukes out the capsule. You get off and move your merry way, and then the capsule activates shields/thumpers and calls the the next worm train. The engineer/pilot of the worm train would be very similar to a guild navigator, by prescient awareness of obstacles and safe paths through the subsand abyss and topical desert while simultaneously syncing up with the next closest worm, if the previously used worm is tired.

I NEED WORMRIDING TAKEN TO THE NEXT LEVEL, PPL. GET TO WORK.
A Thing of Eternity

:shock: :clap:

I think you win.
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

The worst addition to Dune so far..... KJA and Brian Herbert.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Kojiro wrote:
:cookie sm:

For you.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Sorry Nekhrun, I missed that post somehow. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :doh: :shifty:
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

There's a certain level of retardation to actually adding water-worms to a DUNE story that is nearly impossible to top. It's just one reason I consistently vote for Sandworms as the worst McDune ever (hell, that's easy; I also think it's the worst book ever printed in the English language).

Of course, if they actually add flying worms ... well, words fail me. My brain is actually locking out any further imagery on that one.

I'm not sure anything would surprise me, though, considering neither member of the writing team has ever had an original thought in his life. Anderjacket pretty much makes his living by making other authors' stuff bigger, faster, or more ultra.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
A Thing of Eternity

The best part about the water worms plot was that they MUST have known it would piss people off, but it served NO PURPOSE WHATSOEVER in the plot of the book. (of course, I claim that none of the 9 or 10 plotlines in Hunters and Sadworms have anything to do with the resolution anyways...)
Kojiro

Post by Kojiro »

Dungeons & Dragons already did flying worms. They're called Thunder Worms.

-The Tleilaxu Question,
from Muad'dib Speaks
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Well, shit, now one of Anderhack's preek spies is going to forward that to him. You've just guaranteed that actual flying sandworms will appear within the next two McDunes.

:wink:
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Especially now that there's precedent in D&D. :puke:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Kojiro

Post by Kojiro »

There's precedent for almost everything in D&D. Remember, this is the game that used to have killer floors, ceilings and walls back when it first started.
-The Tleilaxu Question,
from Muad'dib Speaks
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Didn't one of the Tremors sequels have flying versions of those beasties, too? If KJA catches that while proofing galleys some day, flying sandworms will be a done deal. :doh:
Last edited by SandChigger on 12 Aug 2010 19:09, edited 1 time in total.
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

TheDukester wrote:There's a certain level of retardation to actually adding water-worms to a DUNE story that is nearly impossible to top. It's just one reason I consistently vote for Sandworms as the worst McDune ever (hell, that's easy; I also think it's the worst book ever printed in the English language).

Of course, if they actually add flying worms ... well, words fail me. My brain is actually locking out any further imagery on that one.
There's really no difference. They could use the same bullshit story device that they needed genetically modified worms that could fly and sprinkle spice like fairy dust over the masses. They just have someone add some crushed bird pellets in a petri dish with a sand plankton and boom, flyin' worms.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:P Hey, that just reminded me... didn't Tyrant once post some sarcastic shit over on DuneNovels about flying sandworms with pink fairy wings that farted magic spice dust? :laughing:
MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

SandChigger wrote:Didn't one of the Tremors sequels have flying versions of those beasties, too? If KJA catches that while proofing galleys some day, flying sandworms will be a done deal. :doh:
I only remember smaller bipedal running versions from Part 2... They also had thermal vision, kinda like Predator, which was cool :D Oh, and they procreated by vomiting :puke: (yeah, something like that)

Think of it... bipedal running sandworms that vomit spice... and more sandworms? (Technically they would cease to be worms by then, but what the heck? Call 'em "runner worms", and that's all!)

(I really should go get some sleep)
WHAT IF YOU NO LONGER HEAR THE MUSIC OF LIFE?
MEMORIES ARE NOT ENOUGH UNLESS THEY CALL YOU TO NOBLE PURPOSE!
Kojiro

Post by Kojiro »

-The Tleilaxu Question,
from Muad'dib Speaks
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

NICE! :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap: