Reading the Prequels/Sequels

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Re: Reading the Prequels/Sequels

Post by SandChigger »

And on the DuneNovels forum front page...
Our users have posted a total of 52234 articles
We have 1468 registered users
The newest registered user is blingdogg
:lol:

(yawn)

Time for bed!
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:And on the DuneNovels forum front page...

(yawn)

Time for bed!
I know it's contrary to our cause to refer people there but I had a feeling he'd be better off.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

SandChigger wrote:And on the DuneNovels forum front page...
Wow. That was real. I knew we'd meet again.

That was real? Didn't he hear the banjo music?
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Then again, this is a good example of how to leave a forum. No announcement, no manifesto...
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Freakzilla wrote:I know it's contrary to our cause to refer people there but I had a feeling he'd be better off.
What's great, though, is that his first eight posts will be about Jacurutu. That will drive Freakin Meow batshit.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

:twisted:
~Pink Snowman
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

I always tell the preeq-curious that the new books contain HUGE SPOILERS - which is true. Any other order and you're robbing yourself.

He ain't coming back now is he... :lol:
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
lotek

Post by lotek »

TheDukester wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:I know it's contrary to our cause to refer people there but I had a feeling he'd be better off.
What's great, though, is that his first eight posts will be about Jacurutu. That will drive Freakin Meow batshit.
and that, my good sir, is what life is about! :lol:
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Lundse

Post by Lundse »

blingdogg wrote:Hello guys,

My question for this thread, is if I can read the new prequels/sequels by Anderson and Brian Herbert without a full knowledge of the original books by Frank?
Hi.

Touchy subject, huh?

To get to the core of your question, then yes. You can certainly read and understand what is going on in the prequels, interquels, "To-The-Whatever-Of-The-Whoever"s and so on, without reading Franks Dune sequels. Or Dune for that matter.
Everything is spelled out, this is not meant to be difficult reading material!

The question is whether you would want to...

About this sentence, then...
blingdogg wrote:I loved the original Dune, but found the following books too dense to get into.
I know I found Messiah a downer, and I did not get most of GEoD or beyond the first time round. But I always got the feeling that I was being leveled with; Frank never talked down to me and he had stuff to tell me - and what I did get was fascinating and rich. If this rings a bell, regarding how you felt reading Dune, then I'd recommend steering clear!

KJA and Brian "I Piss on my Father's Grave" Herbert do not understand Dune (or they do not care). They contradict what is established in Dune, and the later books - both with regards to theme, basic facts, characterisations, etc. etc.
And they contain major spoilers, telling you about stuff that was meant to be surprises (or just delivered better) in Frank's original books.

So let me ask you this:
Did you, reading Dune, get the idea that Paul was born somewhere other than Caladan and had been of on multiple adventures in the galaxy before coming to Dune? Did you get the idea that the Bene Gesserit were telepathic and could make themselves invisible? Did the Butlerian Jihad strike you as an evil AI that went nuts and almost annihilated mankind?
If no, then the new books will take from your enjoyment of Dune, and any sequels you might read in the future.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:clap: :clap: :clap:

ALWAYS a pleasure to read. :)
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Freakzilla wrote:This one is bound for the Bad Examples forum for "How Not To Introduce Yourself at Jacurutu".

No offense, Bling. :wink:
It's like Omphs says, "If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it."
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Damn! I miss the best opportunities because of work!

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

RL is always getting in the way... :cry:
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

real life's a bitch!
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

yeah, I missed it, too ...

and then, as I'm catching up, fucking lotek gets in the zing I wanted ....
I just want to know if the Anderson/Brian H books can be read without full knowledge of the original books.
depriving me of : Why not ? that's how they were written ....

then:
I'll try asking this on a different forum.
my first thought was : good fucking luck with that ... this is the only fucking Dune forum on the net ...
the rest are dead, aborted or stillborn, or owned by Corporate Dune ... I don't think Merritt will advise to
not read them ... he'll throw in a "but you should read Frank, too, I know it's real difficult to understand,
but you should atleast try"; then he'll say something like Spanky McDune being better than no
Dune at all ...

over/under on Merritt realizing he's got a new member in the queue and actually activating the account ?
'bout a week, maybe ?

and:
huh. "attacked" you say ?
after asking a question like that and then piling on a "Frank's books are too hard to read" ?

well ... maybe you should've read some of this board first before jumping in with the dumbass just laying
out there like a dead deer on the highway ... huh ... a pack of vultures descended from nowhere, you say ?
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandRider wrote:...after asking a question like that and then piling on a "Frank's books are too hard to read" ?

well ... maybe you should've read some of this board first before jumping in with the dumbass just laying
out there like a dead deer on the highway ... huh ... a pack of vultures descended from nowhere, you say ?
:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

SandRider wrote:yeah, I missed it, too ...

and then, as I'm catching up, fucking lotek of all people lol gets in the zing I wanted ....
I just want to know if the Anderson/Brian H books can be read without full knowledge of the original books.
depriving me of : Why not ? that's how they were written ....

Yeah sorry about that but I could not let it pass now could I?

then:
I'll try asking this on a different forum.
my first thought was : good fucking luck with that ... this is the only fucking Dune forum on the net ...
the rest are dead, aborted or stillborn, or owned by Corporate Dune ... I don't think Merritt will advise to
not read them ... he'll throw in a "but you should read Frank, too, I know it's real difficult to understand,
but you should atleast try"; then he'll say something like Spanky McDune being better than no
Dune at all ...

over/under on Merritt realizing he's got a new member in the queue and actually activating the account ?
'bout a week, maybe ?

and:
huh. "attacked" you say ?
after asking a question like that and then piling on a "Frank's books are too hard to read" ?

We can smell a wounded preeq forums away :)
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Having boiled eggs for breakfast and reading a forum full of qweef quotes is not good for the digestion. :lol:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

So did blingey ever get on over at DN or not? :?

Poor guy, patiently waiting for Byron to get off his bum and approve him. My heart goes out. :(
drainbread

Post by drainbread »

My Dune confession...

I read Dune when I was twelve and got confused, never to pick up another Frank Herbert book until I turned the tender age of 25, at this time the KJA/BH machine was in full tilt so I gave them a shot because hey, "prequils are prequils" right (please note, I spelled prequels that way because they stick with you, but in a very bad way)

WRONG!

What little I remembered of Dune came forth whilst reading the total fucking shit produced by the aforementioned hacks thanks to the lovely mini-series from SciFi(SyFy... WTF?). First I suffered through the "Legend" series and then the accursed "Prelude" crapfest, honestly, I have read better stuff from n00blet authors that were filled with more grammar errors and miss used words than you will find in this post, on every page even.

So the torture ended somewhat when I picked Dune up again and I truly fell in love with the story and every Frank Herbert version of Dune that came after with GEoD being my least favorite but it was still quite enjoyable, Then the hacks started on the "ending" of the series and I was curious as to what I might find, after all, Frank left us with a pair of super-de-duper face dancers that took a level in badass not seen since the kwisatz haderach changed the universe!

Then the waterworms showed up and then the magical nightmare machine duo, FUCK, back to hell I went and to this day I regret having ever read that shit, I wish my mind was unpolluted and the only Dune to occupy my mind was the real thing, the novels written by Frank Herbert.

If I want to read popcorn, I will stick to Jim Butcher and the Dresden Files, say what you will, it's better than "Twilight" and fully entertaining, come on, when you read about a wizard riding a zombie T-Rex named "Sue" through Chicago then you know there was some funky green tobacco being smoked :lol:
lotek

Post by lotek »

hi and welcome to the board!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:shock:

One year, four months, and nineteen days. That has got to be one of the longest lurks in Dune forum history! :lol:

Welcome into the light. :D
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

:character-cookiemonster:
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Welcome Home!
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."