Has KJA really read Frank Herbert?

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

dune stroller

Has KJA really read Frank Herbert?

Post by dune stroller »

This has probably been said but I'm still new and I find it inconceivable that someone who cannot get through Le Guin, Mieville and Banks can get through the six Dune novels, let alone be Franks biggest fan!
lotek

Re: Has KJA really read Frank Herbert?

Post by lotek »

the way it goes reading just probably means counting pages for Keith...
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

There is a difference between reading and looking at the words just like the difference between hearing and listening.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Freakzilla wrote:just like the difference between hearing and listening.
Just like the difference between... talking to yourself and writing. :P
dune stroller

Post by dune stroller »

SandChigger wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:just like the difference between hearing and listening.
Just like the difference between... talking to yourself and writing. :P
Don't think he's a good listener then.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

He probably reads as well as he writes.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

I think it'd be a good "test" for him to just recount Dune in his own words. Like a summary task they do at school. His "version"/interpretation would be pretty much like what is in the new books. Heck, maybe he doesn't even notice the difference, because his own creations are consistent with how he understands Dune.
WHAT IF YOU NO LONGER HEAR THE MUSIC OF LIFE?
MEMORIES ARE NOT ENOUGH UNLESS THEY CALL YOU TO NOBLE PURPOSE!
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

My guess is that he's read Dune like 14 times, starting with an initial plunge as a pimple-ravaged, socially retarded, inhaler-using high school sophomore. Of course, he understands only the few pew!-pew!-pew! battle scenes, but that's another subject.

After that, I'd guess he's read Messiah three times, Children twice, and everything after that exactly once. And only because he sort of felt like "he had to." I'll bet it felt like homework to him.

This is a guy who publicly admits he's not smart enough to handle Ursula LeGuin. It's impossible to picture him understanding even a tenth of GEoD.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
lotek

Post by lotek »

I think we can pretty much make what he got of the books by the usual spin he serves to all those brown nose interviewers; always the same shit in almost the same exact words...
not what you'd expect from the "mostest biggest Dune fan in the whole whole world ever"...

prick!
dune stroller

Post by dune stroller »

TheDukester wrote: This is a guy who publicly admits he's not smart enough to handle Ursula LeGuin. It's impossible to picture him understanding even a tenth of GEoD.

dune stroller wrote:This has probably been said but I'm still new and I find it inconceivable that someone who cannot get through Le Guin, Mieville and Banks can get through the six Dune novels, let alone be Franks biggest fan!
Yeah, that's what I'm getting at, like a lot of things (except HLP's bank balance), it doesn't add up.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

TheDukester wrote:After that, I'd guess he's read Messiah three times, Children twice, and everything after that exactly once. And only because he sort of felt like "he had to." I'll bet it felt like homework to him.
Yeah, I think you're right, Dukester.

Oh, I'm sure he's *referred* to the later books many many times while writing Dune 7 to refresh his memory about the elements he wanted to include. But read it right through? Yeah, once at most.

(In the interests of full disclosure, I must say I've probably read the whole series only about 4 or 5 times, with long stretches in-between.)

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I doubt he's read Dune "carefully" once.
~Pink Snowman
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

AGREED!

He's proven himself to be a braggart & an egotist, prerequisites for being a casual liar. I've little doubt that his definition of reading differs from ours.
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Also, just to keep this riff going, I suspect the following two things are true:

1. Bobo really did create a concordance of all six originals. It's riddled with errors and misunderstandings, of course, but it actually exists.

2. Keith relies on this item for any and all references he needs, post-Messiah (or maybe post-Children). There's no way he's re-reading any of that "complicated stuff" beginning with GEoD. He just calls up his PDF of Bobo's masterpiece and does a search for whatever he needs.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

There's truth in that, he almost says as much in the chat with google.
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I wonder how much of "looking up things in the concordance" means reviewing the many Dune DVD's...
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
lotek

Post by lotek »

or just scratching his fat arse and making stuff up...
"Fuck it I own Bobo I can write whatever I feel like!"
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

lotek wrote:his fat arse
The new term/codeword for that is "back porch":
TheKJA: Such a gorgeous day, I think I'll sit on the back porch with the laptop while my characters explore unknown continents.
about 12 hours ago via web
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
lotek

Post by lotek »

SandChigger wrote:
TheKJA: Such a gorgeous day, I think I'll sit on the back porch with the laptop while my characters explore unknown continents.

I shudder at the thought of what "explore unknown continents" is a code word for...
MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

SandChigger wrote:
:lol: :clap:
WHAT IF YOU NO LONGER HEAR THE MUSIC OF LIFE?
MEMORIES ARE NOT ENOUGH UNLESS THEY CALL YOU TO NOBLE PURPOSE!
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

If you want to know how much of Dune KJA understands then read his book Blindfold.
If you want to know how much of Dune HLP understands then read his book Blindfold.

Ole'Dune Pussy himself said they picked KJA based on Blindfold.

Blindfold is based on Dune.
Parts of Blindfold were recycled in the Legends of Dune.
(So, no surprise Pinky and the Brian and retreating back into that era of the Duniverse.)

Btw, the basic background of Hellhole is the same as...wait for it...Blindfold.

(Please support your local used bookstore :wink: )
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
lotek

Post by lotek »

Atlas is a struggling colony on an untamable world, a fragile societyheld together by the Truthsayers. Parentless, trained from birth as thesole users of Veritas, a telepathy virus that lets them read the souls of the guilty, Truthsayers are Justice, Infallible, and Beyond appeal.Falsely accused of murder, Troy Boren trusts the young Truthsayer Kalliana ... until, impossibly, she convicts him. Still shaken from aprevious reading, Kalliana doesn't realize her power is fading. Butsoon the evidence becomes impossible to ignore. The Truthsayers' Veritas has been diluted and someone in the colony is selling smuggledtelepathy. Justice isn't blind--it's been blinded. From an immortal's orbital prison to the buried secrets of a regal fortress, Kalliana and Troy seek the conspiracy that threatens to destroy their world from within. For without truth justice, Atlas will certainly fall....

Truthsayers? Plagiarism or homage? My mind is made up on this one...

And what's it about Veritas? A telepathic virus? How do you dilute a virus???

And for my smart comment:
I think KJA read Dune with a blinfold :lol:
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

that sounds like the plot from the Judge Dredd movie ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Kensai

Post by Kensai »

Freakzilla wrote:There is a difference between reading and looking at the words just like the difference between hearing and listening.
Well put man. I have always been pretty cynical about Kevin's admiration of Frank (then again I'm cynical of anything that Kevin says) because Kevin is such a drastically diffrent author. Frank is a true literary author, a sort of Shakespear of SF. Kevin, well Kevin has a career for two reasons only, Star Wars and the amount of volume of crap he publishes. KJA has made a career out of invading other people's franchises and is a "best seller" purely because of the amount of crap he writes. He doesn’t have the originality to create his own franchises. If you have ever read any of his own creations such as Saga of the Seven suns you can see this for yourself, also the fact that his own creations are not well known proves my point (Seven Sons being the most prominent and still not too many people know of it).

Personally, Kevin knows that many people regard Frank as being one of the best, if not THE best sci-fi author of all time, and thats what Kevin wants to be regarded as (in his dreams), so he is muscling in on Frank's franchise in order to hog some of that glory (and doh).
Survival is the ultimate ideology Image
Kensai

Post by Kensai »

SandChigger wrote:
I hope by "my characters" he dosen't mean the Dune characters. Then again I wouldn't put it past him.
Survival is the ultimate ideology Image