What kja thinks of the ghost of FH.

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

What kja thinks of the ghost of FH.

Post by Nekhrun »

Another winning interview by the hack: http://www.actusf.com/spip/article-8561.html
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
lotek

Re: What kja thinks of the ghost of FH.

Post by lotek »

1st quote
I started making up stories of my own,
like the story of a dune 7 outline?

Quote 2
It’s too much work to write in a universe you don’t enjoy
how about in one you don't understand?

jHACKass!!

nb: don't mention the cliffhanger...

quote 3
Frank Herbert changed the entire genre with the publication of Dune because he wrote a story that had such a scope and depth to demonstrate the true possibilities of science fiction. No one else has ever been able to match it.
well acceptance is the first step so they say :)

And the usual bull follows...
Last edited by lotek on 25 Nov 2009 13:10, edited 1 time in total.
Spice is the worm's gonads.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Christsakes, it's like he's got a checklist he goes down. Every interview is the same, with only some minor variations. And every interviewer is a spineless coward who lobs the same softball questions.

I did like that he kept hammering on the "cliffhanger" angle for CH. Methinks he's a bit sensitive about the subject, since he always uses it as a direct bridge between Frank and himself.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Nekhrun wrote:Another winning interview by the hack: http://www.actusf.com/spip/article-8561.html
ActuSF : Do you ever feel hindered by the fear of committing sacrilege ? Do you feel entirely free to develop your stories ? Isn’t Frank Herbert’s ghost always watching behind your back ?
Kevin J.Anderson : Frank Herbert’s ghost is always watching behind our backs, but that is a good thing. He left an incredible legacy for us, and Brian and I have to be sure we maintain the quality and complexity. Thankfully, now that we’ve just published our 11th book in the series, the fans continue to follow us and express their enthusiasm for new volumes. When we create our stories, we have to stay within the boundaries of the Dune novels Frank Herbert wrote, but it’s a big universe and there is plenty of room for us to express our creativity.
For me this is proof there is no god, for surely KJA would have been hit with a lightning bolt durring that response.
ActuSF : What kind of relation do you have with Dune’s followers ? How did they react when they learnt that the master’s work would be continued ?
Kevin J.Anderson : Anyone who has read CHAPTERHOUSE DUNE knows that Frank Herbert meant to continue the story, so we’re not making up novels that don’t need to be told. Because Frank Herbert’s very last published novel (MAN OF TWO WORLDS) was a collaboration with his son Brian, and he had asked Brian to write further Dune books with him, it’s certainly a legitimate effort. Some of the fans were skeptical when they first heard of the project, and some even posted very negative comments before they read the first novel, HOUSE ATREIDES. After the book came out, though, we received numerous apology letters from the complainers.
Funny how he doesn't mention the negative comments SINCE then.

:puke:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

I've always smirked at that "numerous apologies" line. It has the look of a tale that's really grown with each telling.

My honest guess: no more than three actual letters of "apology." And I'd guess that those also included some criticisms.

There is no bigger self-promoting hack in the world today than TheKJA.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
lotek

Post by lotek »

this is a french website, i left a little note saying that he DID committ sacrilege and that we at jacurutu are ready to explain why to anyone who speaks english ;)

(awaiting moderation)
lotek

Post by lotek »

been reading a post on the hack's new "story" and the comments on the preequels tend to make me feel we have some fellow cast out that over there :)
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

A funnier question is what the ghost of FH thinks of Kevin.

I'm pretty sure that Frank is not very pleased. Not very pleased at all. It's a safe bet that there is a big series of ass-kickings coming in whatever afterlife you believe in. Frank is going to make TheKJA cry.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

lotek wrote:jHACKass!!
I like it!
lotek

Post by lotek »

Freakzilla wrote:
lotek wrote:jHACKass!!
I like it!
yup after all those low level puns I came up with I am quite proud of this one :lol:
Slugger

Post by Slugger »

He doesn't actually say anything when providing responses.
The_Preacher

Post by The_Preacher »

Freakzilla wrote:For me this is proof there is no god, for surely KJA would have been hit with a lightning bolt durring that response.
:laughing-rolling:

Don't forget, folks... Karma is a bizzle. Those two will get theirs. Some day the travesty they've made will come back to haunt them. Especially when they realize that their life's work is based on blatant exploitation and they haven't contributed one single bit of creativity to the species.
If Frank Herbert were alive today he'd be spinning in his grave if he could see what they've done to his legacy.

I bought the very first prequel on Amazon as soon as it was available. God! I wouldn't wipe me arse with that trash! Never again, says I. Fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

You think that someday they will realize that? They're going to go to their graves oblivious.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Omphalos wrote:You think that someday they will realize that? They're going to go to their graves oblivious.
It won't be for a lack of us telling them for at least a decade .
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Omphalos wrote:You think that someday they will realize that? They're going to go to their graves oblivious.
Possibly not, but that's not the only way karma can work. She can be a mysterious bitch, but I have no doubt she's coming for Hacky and The Other Guy.

I'll add that I think this sort of thing hits Kevin harder than he will ever admit. You can see it sometimes in his defensiveness, sensitivity, desperate need for validation and approval, and on and on. I think there's times when he looks in the mirror and knows that a two-bit, rent-a-hack is staring back at him. Worse yet, he knows he will leave no legacy in the SF/F field. I think there's times that that must really get to him; again, though, he would never admit it.

As to what Brian thinks ... who knows? And, honestly, who cares? With each passing day, I'm more and more convinced that he simply doesn't matter. He's like the embarrassing relative that is physically there, but that most of the family has learned how to avoid.
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Some of the fans were skeptical when they first heard of the project, and some even posted very negative comments before they read the first novel, HOUSE ATREIDES. After the book came out, though, we received numerous apology letters from the complainers.
What a colossal twat. Just because someone writes you a letter saying "sorry, but that was the biggest pile of shit I've read in a long time", that doesn't make it a letter of apology.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
trang

Post by trang »

was watching Rocky III while reading this thread and made think of a good like from the film that can be modified for this situation.

Media person to Clubber Lang " whats your prediction for BH and the Jacket in the after life"
Clubber Lang "prediction?...(dramatic pause)....PAIN!!!"
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

TheDukester wrote:I'll add that I think this sort of thing hits Kevin harder than he will ever admit. You can see it sometimes in his defensiveness, sensitivity, desperate need for validation and approval, and on and on.
Oh, absolutely. You just have to look at the responses that Freak quoted to see that. First response: "Quality? You bet. The sales figures prove it. Right? RIGHT???" Second response: "It's not like we're doing anything wrong. We're just doing what Frank wanted. And Brian's involved, and he was gonna write more Dune books with Frank. It's all completely legit. Trust me."
I think there's times when he looks in the mirror and knows that a two-bit, rent-a-hack is staring back at him. Worse yet, he knows he will leave no legacy in the SF/F field. I think there's times that that must really get to him; again, though, he would never admit it.
Well, I think he *fears* that he's just a hack, and *hopes* he will have a legacy. I think he tells himself that he's a skilled and successful writer every single day - and tells other people every chance he gets - and that's his equivalent of whistling past the graveyard.

I think he really dreads the possibility that some writer he really looks up to, or some intervewer giving him enormous coverage, will point an accusing finger in his face and yell "you're NOTHING but a parasitic HACK, growing FAT off other people's work while PISSING all over it!".

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

None of the interviewers out there ... or even the other writers ... seem to have the balls for it.

WIMPS! :snooty:
lotek

Post by lotek »

yup I think that whatever art you're in, having the sales number is always good but even the best selling people will be looking for recognition from the hard to please crowd and/or their peers.

For example I make music and although I enjoy a positive response of the audience, I feel much more proud of my work when praise comes from people I respect in that field and who know how hard it is to create "stuff" :)

The ob/com (a little reference here for who gets it ;) )attitude of the jHACKass (feel free to use that all over the interwebz!!) shows exactly the same pattern, his bragging about his sales and numbers is just the give away that shows what he's really after, that is the approval of the true fans, not those dimwits that think his stacks of pages are real books.

He probably doesn't think much of his fans(or else he'd not feed 'em that crap would he?)
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Karma doesn't have to strike, KJA has already ensured that his legacy will be a footnote and a joke.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Dunenewt

Post by Dunenewt »

lotek wrote:yup I think that whatever art you're in, having the sales number is always good but even the best selling people will be looking for recognition from the hard to please crowd and/or their peers.

For example I make music and although I enjoy a positive response of the audience, I feel much more proud of my work when praise comes from people I respect in that field and who know how hard it is to create "stuff" :)

The ob/com (a little reference here for who gets it ;) )attitude of the jHACKass (feel free to use that all over the interwebz!!) shows exactly the same pattern, his bragging about his sales and numbers is just the give away that shows what he's really after, that is the approval of the true fans, not those dimwits that think his stacks of pages are real books.

He probably doesn't think much of his fans(or else he'd not feed 'em that crap would he?)
Obsessive/compulsive
SandChigger wrote: I thought Nekhrun made a good point (again) over on DN: that the original "girly titles" of the next two books (Jessica and Irulan ... a big GROAN on the coconut joke, btw :lol: ) probably wouldn't do well in attracting the apparent target demographic of these books.

To wit: barely post-pubescent geeky teenage boys. :P

(Which description fits Dunenewt over on FED2K, it seems, even though he's 20 or something.)
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

'Newt! :D

(Still LOVE your sig! :dance: )
lotek

Post by lotek »

Dunenewt wrote:
lotek wrote:yup I think that whatever art you're in, having the sales number is always good but even the best selling people will be looking for recognition from the hard to please crowd and/or their peers.

Obsessive/compulsive
dig deeper ;)
(it's a sci fi reference)
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

What kja thinks of the ghost of FH?

ImageImage
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP